Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat
  Thanks to Cliff and the Fiero community (Page 1)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 4 pages long:  1   2   3   4 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
Thanks to Cliff and the Fiero community by JCircs
Started on: 11-05-2011 09:31 PM
Replies: 144 (7685 views)
Last post by: JCircs on 07-23-2018 03:55 PM
JCircs

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-05-2011 09:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JCircsSend a Private Message to JCircsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I stumbled upon this forum about 3 years ago when my search started. I was looking for a unmolested Fiero, Not only did I find the car but I also found a bunch of good guys. I never knew that New Jersey was such a Fiero state. Through the internet I hooked up with Fiero Jon (CuestickJive) who happen to have a real nice un touched 1 owner white 87 gt, It had a clean carfax, only 40K miles and every part on the car had matching numbers including the front and rear bumpers.

(Not the car but it looked like this)
I wanted an 88 but this was to clean to pass up. Jon let me in on the differences between the 87 and 88 and I made the decision to buy the car and have him do what he could to bring the suspension and brakes up to par with the 88. He upgraded the brakes with the Grand am kit and made the suspension upgrades with front and rear sway bars. He also removed all the grey parts and had them sprayed white to match. I had my new 18" wheels and tires shipped straight to him and he added them as well.

Jon did a great job on the car and I thank him and his dad I would reccomend them to all.

I came back to the forum to make the finishing touches, I found the dot matrix dash trim at a great price from (Darren's 87 coupe) and found a nice Pontiac windsheild decal at FieroSails.com.

Then to the stereo, I wanted the stock look but not the stock sound. (FieroSound) has a perfect step by step guide for doing this, I took his advice and went for the 2002 Monsoon head unit. For the speakers I went with 5.25 JBL compnents in the dash using the template he provided on his post and I used JBL 4x6 plates in the rear. I must say the sound is 1000 times better, The JBL's give a nice mid punch . I have 2 Boss 1500's powered 10" slim subs that will be installed behind the seats. Im aware that Boss is not the greatest or the cleanest sounding equipment but 2 of these with the gains kept down will add a nice low end to a Fiero, I just hope they dont break down.
Ok back to the car.... After only a few thousand miles my 2.8 developed the ever so dreaded rod or bearing knock. The car only had about 45k miles on it so I was really disapointed, The knock was slight and only heard when the car was very hot and RPM's were high but I wanted it fixed. Time to start reading the forum again.... I found out fast that this is a common issue with the 2.8 and not easily fixed but usaully swapped, My search for a new motor begins. After talking to Fiero Jon and spending about an hour on the phone with another local Fiero guy Dave (BMWguru) I deceided the 3.4 was the best option for me. I put up a wanted ad in the mall and was quickly contacted by a really nice guy, Steve Hayward (stevekh) not only did he have a like new nicely modded 3.4 that was built by Mark Hoaglan (Foxgapfiero) but the price was right and he was willing to load it up and meet me in the middle, That was about a 3 hour drive for both of us. During my search for the engine I started emailing back and forth with Dennis LaGrua, If you ever read one of his posts you know he is not only a mechanic but more like an engineer of sort. He offered to do my swap at a great price and his shop is only 20 miles from my house. Long story short...

Perfect clean install. He waited for me to arrive before adding the fluids so I can be the first to turn the key. After only one crank she purred to a perfect idle. I still find it hard to believe he tore this whole car apart and then reassembled it like new without a single issue (except 1 starter shim) in about a week. Since then I had a Spintech exhaust installed and ran it about 1500 miles including a Pete (Pete2m4) Fall cruise where me and my son spent the day with about 20 other very nice Fiero owners and forum members. The car runs and feels solid as a rock. Not a rattle nor a shimmy or a drip or a stall, Dennis you are the man! Im aware that its still a Fiero so its only a matter of time before somthing else goes wrong but as long as I have AAA and this forum is around I aint worried a bit.
I still keep in touch with just about everyone I have met on the forum thru Email/PM/Text/Phone and glad after more then 20 years I finally have the Fiero I always wanted, It spends most of its life waxed up and parked in the garage but I got it and I thank all who helped me out.

[This message has been edited by JCircs (edited 08-09-2017).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Sage

Feedback score:    (14)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 69
Rate this member

Report this Post11-05-2011 10:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SageSend a Private Message to SageEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Great story, beautiful car!

Thanks for sharing.

HAGO!
nitroheadz28

Feedback score:    (26)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 94
Rate this member

Report this Post11-05-2011 10:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for nitroheadz28Send a Private Message to nitroheadz28Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I enjoyed seeing it and meeting you at the cruise, super clean and I love them wheels! I look forward to seeing you and your car at more events.

Tom.
JCircs

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-06-2011 10:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JCircsSend a Private Message to JCircsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for the compliments, Tom I will probably see you at the spring cruise.
Khw

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 134
Rate this member

Report this Post11-06-2011 10:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for KhwSend a Private Message to KhwEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have to agree, that's a beauty alright!
JCircs

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-06-2011 03:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JCircsSend a Private Message to JCircsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Ty
cuestickjived

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-06-2011 03:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cuestickjivedSend a Private Message to cuestickjivedEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You have got yourself a nice rust free low mileage Fiero that is a perfect fit for you.
Enjoy it, and thanks for the nice words.
Fiero Jon

------------------
Fiero Jon
www.FieroService.com
609-713-9609
Over 150 Fieros have dripped oil in my shop!

JCircs

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-25-2011 08:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JCircsSend a Private Message to JCircsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Just a FYI, instead of the Boss subwoofer and the amp in the Monsoon radio that I planed on using I decided to go with the 5 channel Kenwood XR-5s amp and a Rockford P3L-S10 subwoofer. All I can say is WOW, this Rockford pounds. If your looking to add bass without changing your console or cutting holes in your firewall this is a great option, As a matter of fact it sounds better then both in the ones I've heard. The bad part is I lost about 3 inches of travel in the passenger seat but because its shape it doesn't need to be mounted so it can be easily removed if you have a 7 foot passenger. I have it crossed over at 150hz and it handles it well, The mid bass is clean and pops nicely and the lows rumble in the small cabin like two twelves in a trunk. I am very satisfied with the completely stock look and amazing sound I thought would never be possible in a Fiero without gutting the car. The whole package including replacing the stock radio with the Monsoon and all stock speakers with JBL components, all adaptors including the iSimple iPod adapter the subwoofer and Kenwood amp was a total of $1300. I think that was cheap for the quality of sound and years of reliability I hope to get.

[This message has been edited by JCircs (edited 01-16-2014).]

JCircs

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-01-2012 04:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JCircsSend a Private Message to JCircsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
New stuff this month. Blacked out windows,

Added a nice Viper alarm, New sub and amp as mentioned above. Also bumped out rear wheels 1-1/4" to flush with rear fenders, Nice agressive look. Removed cat and installed Corvette C6 tips.

Im trying to be DONE!!! But I cant stop searching this damn forum.... So many good ideas. Im hooked on Fiero and I think I may need help. Next thing just might be Frances T for a Trueleo intake.

This is the Rockford sub,

And this shows how far the seat can still go back.

johnyrottin

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 85
Rate this member

Report this Post01-02-2012 08:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for johnyrottinSend a Private Message to johnyrottinEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You are never done with these cars....you just take strategic pauses!

[This message has been edited by johnyrottin (edited 01-02-2012).]

fierogt27

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-02-2012 06:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierogt27Send a Private Message to fierogt27Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Can I get some info on your wheels? They are exactly what Im looking for
PFF
System Bot
JCircs

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-02-2012 06:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JCircsSend a Private Message to JCircsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
They are RPM R505's 18X8" 38mm offset with a 2" lip. PM me if your looking to purchase I have a good place online.
JCircs

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-22-2012 10:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JCircsSend a Private Message to JCircsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Just wanted to update my thread.... I've done a few things over the summer. First I added daytime running lights.

And just today I got around to cutting down my auto shift stick and installed a Corvette C5 knob.

[This message has been edited by JCircs (edited 06-27-2016).]

JCircs

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-09-2013 06:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JCircsSend a Private Message to JCircsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Kinda cleaned up my Turbo install today, got rid of the eBay blow off valve, boost controller and wastegate. It's really running nice since Dennis LaGrua programmed my chip in the fall. Also added Rodney Dickman rear hatch struts and cut out those tension bars and found a guy to make a braided stainless steel detent TV cable that won't melt from the turbo heat.

yellowstone

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 250
Rate this member

Report this Post03-09-2013 06:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for yellowstoneSend a Private Message to yellowstoneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by JCircs:
Also added Dennis Dickman rear hatch struts ...

Oh, that elusive cross-breed between Rodney Dickman and Dennis Rodman! Man, where was a video camera when one needed it...
DanDamage

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 81
Rate this member

Report this Post03-09-2013 06:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DanDamageSend a Private Message to DanDamageEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I want to thank this forum and community as well! thumbs up for you all!
JCircs

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-09-2013 06:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JCircsSend a Private Message to JCircsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
@yellowstone I don't know what your talking about....LoL
DanDamage

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-09-2013 07:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DanDamageSend a Private Message to DanDamageEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Man that is CLEAN! gotta love the "brick brake" too
JCircs

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-09-2013 07:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JCircsSend a Private Message to JCircsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thank you, not sure why that block was there its an automatic....
California Kid

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 274
Rate this member

Report this Post03-09-2013 09:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for California KidSend a Private Message to California KidEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Very nice looking GT !!!
DanDamage

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-10-2013 11:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DanDamageSend a Private Message to DanDamageEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Thank you, not sure why that block was there its an automatic....

Jcircs, do you have the little mirrors above each of your exhaust tips? Looks like it from here

I regret not taping them up when I sprayed my car
PFF
System Bot
FieroMaster88

Feedback score:    (43)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 168
Rate this member

Report this Post03-10-2013 11:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroMaster88Send a Private Message to FieroMaster88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The turbo install looks really clean! Nice car you have there.

------------------

88 Coupe: 2.0L Turbo 4 Cylinder, W2A, T25 Turbo.
84 Indy #64: Restoration Project, Super Duty 4 swap

JCircs

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-24-2013 06:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JCircsSend a Private Message to JCircsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
@DanDamage yes the chrome pieces are over the exhaust tips, and to the others thanks for the compliments. The car feels great, took it for a nice cruise to Atlantic City this weekend (about 200 miles round trip) and it was a pleasure, I did have much safer and more comfortable options in the garage but this was more fun. I will be getting it on a dyno this month, not for anything more then to satisfy my curiosity, I would just like to see how many more ponies over the original 140 this setup is pumping out. I will post results......

------------------

[This message has been edited by JCircs (edited 01-16-2014).]

JCircs

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-09-2013 11:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JCircsSend a Private Message to JCircsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
On this 80 degree day in NJ I went for a nice 1 hour highway cruise, first ride after installing these,

What a nice upgrade, the car feels and sounds even better then before. These really compliment the turbo and I'm very happy with the total package. Now I can get it on a dyno, my guess 225hp.

Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post04-14-2013 08:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The thirst for more horsepower can never be quenched-LOL. It is possible to make 350 HP with a 3.4L BUT you will need to change over to forged pistons, change cams, run much higher boost and add an intercooler. You might get away with just increasing the boost to 12 psi and adding alky/H2O injection for more power but if you are running stock 3.4L pistons it gets you into the unknown zone. The internal changes are all expensive mods.
IMO the setup that you now have will be very competitive on the street. You might not win the "King of the Street Shootout" but you will smoke many of the rice burners. If your engine makes 225 HP on a chassis dyno that is very respectable. That translates to about what a factory series II 3800SC makes. From what I read the iPhone dyno app with its built in GPS and accelerometer is about as accurate as a chassis dyno. You might want to try that first. There is one for sale in the apps store for $1.99

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP /Frozen Boost Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Powerlog manifold, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Flotech Afterburner Exhaust, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

JCircs

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-01-2013 09:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JCircsSend a Private Message to JCircsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Had a complete new suspension installed with shocks, struts, bushings, lowering springs and a few other goodies. Here's a before and after shot.

Before
This images is larger than 153600 bytes. Click to view.
After

jim94

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-02-2013 12:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jim94Send a Private Message to jim94Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Nice car if I ever drive or go to Jersey to see family I will try to send you a pm. I have family in manalapan n.j. I lived in Jersey for 40yrs then moved to FL. Your car is real clean, enjoy.
JCircs

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-02-2013 10:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JCircsSend a Private Message to JCircsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thank you, and yes Manalapan is right around the corner.
JCircs

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-06-2013 08:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JCircsSend a Private Message to JCircsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
My latest upgrade, A snow Performance Meth kit installed by AMS Autowerks in Linden NJ.

Pump and controller mounted up front using the wiper fluid tank for the Boost Juice.
This images is larger than 153600 bytes. Click to view.
In the back all that can be seen is the jet on the intake.

Also a quick pic of installed Sprint headers,

And lastly my new sig.....

------------------

//www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum1/HTML/087461.html

Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post05-06-2013 09:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Presentation and detail look fantastic and well done. Car should really move with that setup.
Just a suggestion. If you are using washer fluid for the meth injection it will work but summer blends of washer fluid can be 90% water. Might be best to buy methyl alcohol and do a custom 50/50 mix.

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP /Frozen Boost Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Powerlog manifold, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Flotech Afterburner Exhaust, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

Gokart Mozart

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 159
Rate this member

Report this Post05-06-2013 10:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Gokart MozartClick Here to visit Gokart Mozart's HomePageSend a Private Message to Gokart MozartEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Had a complete new suspension installed with shocks, struts, bushings, lowering springs and a few other goodies. Here's a before and after shot.

Before

After

Cars look better with the cat-throw gone.
PFF
System Bot
JCircs

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-04-2013 10:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JCircsSend a Private Message to JCircsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Just to stay current, updated picture with new turbo and upgraded setup. I had the China turbo replaced with a Precision turbo and relocated the wastegate so it can dump into the new 3" stainless exhaust.

[This message has been edited by JCircs (edited 01-17-2014).]

Dirty Harry

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-04-2013 11:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dirty HarrySend a Private Message to Dirty HarryEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Beautiful work! Did the Snow Performance unit make a noticable difference? I've been reading up on it for my 3800SC.

------------------
87 GT Maroon 3800SC & White Formula

JCircs

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-05-2013 06:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JCircsSend a Private Message to JCircsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Dirty Harry:

Beautiful work! Did the Snow Performance unit make a noticable difference? I've been reading up on it for my 3800SC.

Thank you for the compliment. When the Snow kit was installed we also felt safe to raise the boost from 6 to 10 psi so I did notice a big difference, not sure if the meth kit without raising boost would have been noticeable.
JCircs

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-25-2013 10:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JCircsSend a Private Message to JCircsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
A2W intercooler installed just in time to keep it outta the archives.

[This message has been edited by JCircs (edited 11-25-2013).]

JCircs

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-16-2014 08:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JCircsSend a Private Message to JCircsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
A shot of the finished install of the A2W intercooler, pre cleanup.

These were my 4T60 swap parts, also did the 7730 and DIS at that time

My new gauge pod

And lastly to get this up to date, the molded in and functional Mustang scoop

Custom2M4

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 114
Rate this member

Report this Post01-16-2014 10:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Custom2M4Send a Private Message to Custom2M4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Nice car.

------------------

nitroheadz28

Feedback score:    (26)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 94
Rate this member

Report this Post01-16-2014 10:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for nitroheadz28Send a Private Message to nitroheadz28Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hmmm, the engine bay is looking more and more like Ryan's (convictedredneck) Fiero

Nice work! Hopefully it'll come out to play on one of the cruises this year.
IMSA GT

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 252
Rate this member

Report this Post01-17-2014 12:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for IMSA GTSend a Private Message to IMSA GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
JCircs check your PM.
JCircs

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-22-2014 03:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JCircsSend a Private Message to JCircsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Today I installed my new Amida center armrest and speaker console. Only problem is now I NEED a set of Mr Mikes seat covers, just gotta have em!

[This message has been edited by JCircs (edited 02-24-2014).]

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 4 pages long:  1   2   3   4 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock