First UK Choptop by northeastfiero
Started on: 08-17-2011 05:19 PM
Replies: 105 (5826 views)
Last post by: northeastfiero on 08-21-2014 05:17 PM
northeastfiero

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-02-2012 01:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for northeastfieroSend a Private Message to northeastfieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Got the cradle all fully welded up and made up the suspension mounts still got the trailing arm mount to make.
One for the tech guys, do you think I need any triangular gussets in any of the areas for greater strength.

IP: Logged
jscott1

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 415
Rate this member

Report this Post09-02-2012 01:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by northeastfiero:

One for the tech guys, do you think I need any triangular gussets in any of the areas for greater strength.

I would... small gussets are not going to add a lot of weight but will significantly increase the stiffness and strength.

That looks great by the way.
bubbajoexxx

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 112
Rate this member

Report this Post09-02-2012 03:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bubbajoexxxClick Here to visit bubbajoexxx's HomePageSend a Private Message to bubbajoexxxEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
add some triangular gussets to the suspension mounting points for added strenght as for the rest just put one on each side of the crossbar going to the front mounting point
bubbajoexxx

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-14-2012 07:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bubbajoexxxClick Here to visit bubbajoexxx's HomePageSend a Private Message to bubbajoexxxEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
need more input aka update please
northeastfiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-15-2012 12:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for northeastfieroSend a Private Message to northeastfieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Been busy with work so not too much progresss.

Test fitting the engine on the new engine cradle the axles are 11 degrees out hopefully that should be ok still have to make the trailing arm brackets.

Started to clean up the engine bay with some aluminium plate

bubbajoexxx

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-21-2012 08:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bubbajoexxxClick Here to visit bubbajoexxx's HomePageSend a Private Message to bubbajoexxxEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
angle looks much better should be ok now keep it up looking forward to more progress
countach500

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-13-2013 08:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for countach500Send a Private Message to countach500Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Is there progress
bubbajoexxx

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-13-2013 10:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bubbajoexxxClick Here to visit bubbajoexxx's HomePageSend a Private Message to bubbajoexxxEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
updates please
northeastfiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-27-2013 03:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for northeastfieroSend a Private Message to northeastfieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
First time this year I have had some spare time to actually do some work. I have built a new sub frame that now gets the axles inline and also increases the track by 3 inches per side. Just tack welded at the moment let me know your thoughts.

PatrickTRoof

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-27-2013 10:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickTRoofSend a Private Message to PatrickTRoofEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It takes real guts to take your baby and cut it up like that. Bravo!!! And I almost choked on my coffee when I saw that BMW V-12 going in there! Amazing! I can't wait to see the finished project. Videos, dyno number and power-to-weight ratios, please!
ngrybrd

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-28-2013 11:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ngrybrdSend a Private Message to ngrybrdEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
that looks great. i have similar plans for the bmw v12. i love the orange you picked for the motor too, looks gorgeous.

good call on the efi system, ive heard nightmares piecing together parts of the BMW engine management,either use the engine BMW electrical harness, or avoid it completely. I even heard someone changed their headlight bulbs in their 740il, and because the resistance was different in the electrical system the v12idle parameters were off and he had all sorts of gremlins in the car after that one change.

what audi trans axle are you using/what car is it from? how much length did you add to the engine compartment to create the extra room you needed? beautiful work, itll be worth every minute and penny in the end. definitely something to be proud of. im definitely subscribing to see your progress.

[This message has been edited by ngrybrd (edited 05-28-2013).]

PFF
System Bot
northeastfiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-29-2013 05:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for northeastfieroSend a Private Message to northeastfieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Got the sub frame welded up tonight just needs a few bits to finish it off. Cut off the back end of the car ready to build up the new chassis rails.

PatrickTRoof

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-29-2013 05:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickTRoofSend a Private Message to PatrickTRoofEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Forgive me if you already answered this question, but are you planning to do a rebody, or just a stretched Fiero body?
northeastfiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-30-2013 11:43 AM Click Here to See the Profile for northeastfieroSend a Private Message to northeastfieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by PatrickTRoof:

Forgive me if you already answered this question, but are you planning to do a rebody, or just a stretched Fiero body?

I plan to modify the original body with a few extra features.

northeastfiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-01-2013 02:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for northeastfieroSend a Private Message to northeastfieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Got quite a bit done today, Created the new rear framework of the car and test fitted the engine to see how it all fits together.

Plenty of space around the engine

Axles now line up a lot better than before.

northeastfiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-02-2013 12:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for northeastfieroSend a Private Message to northeastfieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Got some more work done on the suspension today still needs a bit more work to get it totally right. Any comments, criticism or suggestions more than welcome.

Carl

ARFiero

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-03-2013 02:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ARFieroSend a Private Message to ARFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Northeast,

I need to come by and see your work! I have been stationed at RAF Mildenhall and would love to see this one in person!

Shelby
Iain

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-04-2013 02:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IainSend a Private Message to IainEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The 16V Mini guy's use those v8 mounts a lot, been finding they'll debond if used like that. At a 45 degree angle they're holding up fine though.
bubbajoexxx

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-04-2013 03:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bubbajoexxxClick Here to visit bubbajoexxx's HomePageSend a Private Message to bubbajoexxxEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Got quite a bit done today, Created the new rear framework of the car and test fitted the engine to see how it all fits together.

Plenty of space around the engine

Axles now line up a lot better than before.

you can eliminate the struts all together if you make up upper control arms and use coil overs on each side of the lower suspemnison mounting boint the jag coil overs will work great
northeastfiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-04-2013 06:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for northeastfieroSend a Private Message to northeastfieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by bubbajoexxx:

you can eliminate the struts all together if you make up upper control arms and use coil overs on each side of the lower suspemnison mounting boint the jag coil overs will work great

Hi, I thought about doing something like that but I don`t think I could do it without a bit of help. Any chance you could give me a few pointers towards what I need.

Thanks Carl
northeastfiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-05-2013 12:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for northeastfieroSend a Private Message to northeastfieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Are you suggesting something like this, I think this would work with my setup quite well.

PFF
System Bot
bubbajoexxx

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-05-2013 05:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bubbajoexxxClick Here to visit bubbajoexxx's HomePageSend a Private Message to bubbajoexxxEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Are you suggesting something like this, I think this would work with my setup quite well.

similar but you whould have the coil overs where the yellow lines are on each side of the lower control arm
bubbajoexxx

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-05-2013 05:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bubbajoexxxClick Here to visit bubbajoexxx's HomePageSend a Private Message to bubbajoexxxEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

bubbajoexxx

1630 posts
Member since Aug 2003

similar but you would place the coil overs where the yellow lines are on each side of the lower arms 2 per side
northeastfiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-08-2013 07:34 AM Click Here to See the Profile for northeastfieroSend a Private Message to northeastfieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Working on the new suspension setup so only a pic of the new wheels and tyres for now.

jon m

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-21-2014 10:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jon mSend a Private Message to jon mEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Is there any updates???
northeastfiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-21-2014 05:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for northeastfieroSend a Private Message to northeastfieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yes there is a different thread.

//www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum1/HTML/092051.html

I should have an update for that in the next week.
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 3 pages long:  1   2   3 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock