First UK Choptop by northeastfiero
Started on: 08-17-2011 05:19 PM
Replies: 105 (5826 views)
Last post by: northeastfiero on 08-21-2014 05:17 PM
el_roy1985

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-18-2011 12:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for el_roy1985Send a Private Message to el_roy1985Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Nice work. Really like what you're doing with the RHD conversion. It'll look like it came that way from the factory, and not all those linkages taking up space.
IP: Logged
northeastfiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-18-2011 03:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for northeastfieroSend a Private Message to northeastfieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Got the heating / air con unit roughly fitted still have to do all the steel work to make it fit properly though.

Carcenomy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-19-2011 01:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for CarcenomyClick Here to visit Carcenomy's HomePageSend a Private Message to CarcenomyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
What rack did you end up using for the RHD conversion?
northeastfiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-19-2011 06:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for northeastfieroSend a Private Message to northeastfieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The rack came from a 1993 ford scorpio the rack is within 10mm of the fiero rack which can be made up with the inner tie rods.
northeastfiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-07-2012 01:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for northeastfieroSend a Private Message to northeastfieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
First post of the year, finally got something to fill the engine bay a 44,000 mile 5.4 bmw v12. Waiting on the adapter plate and a few other bits wont be ready for another 3 - 4 weeks this will be mated to an audi gearbox.

northeastfiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-31-2012 08:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for northeastfieroSend a Private Message to northeastfieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
A few more pictures of the slow progress.

Cut and extended the subframe to match

Started to strip the engine down to clean and spray it

The Audi gearbox

Marine1981

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-31-2012 12:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Marine1981Click Here to visit Marine1981's HomePageSend a Private Message to Marine1981Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Subscribed!!
88lambo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-01-2012 07:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 88lamboSend a Private Message to 88lamboEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
northeastfiero

Really like what you have done to overcome the obstacles of fitting this engine. I am also in the process of fitting an m73 into my fiero though a bit differently to the way you have. What are you using for engine management I am using megasquirt. Here is a link to my build hope you dont mind.

Cool build, are you doing a rebody or just a chopped stretched?
no don't mind the link....

For my engine management system I used Choice Auto Wiring here in Canada, he has done a few V12 5.0L using General Motors components. might be worth a call/email to see if he can do a newer 5.3L

John

http://www.choiceautowiring.com/
Will

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 237
Rate this member

Report this Post04-02-2012 08:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for WillSend a Private Message to WillEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by northeastfiero:

First post of the year, finally got something to fill the engine bay a 44,000 mile 5.4 bmw v12. Waiting on the adapter plate and a few other bits wont be ready for another 3 - 4 weeks this will be mated to an audi gearbox.

Are you trying to build a fast car or just going for the cool factor?

The Mercedes V12 is *far* more powerful than the BMW V12 and just as economically priced here in the US.

[This message has been edited by Will (edited 04-15-2012).]

northeastfiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-03-2012 04:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for northeastfieroSend a Private Message to northeastfieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Got 2 sets of headers in today aswell as the new engine management. I am busy modifying the headers as the bolt holes do not match up properly.

Pete Matos

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-03-2012 04:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Pete MatosSend a Private Message to Pete MatosEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Awesome man....nothing cooler than a v12 set of headers!! This is gonna be good!! haha peace

Pete
PFF
System Bot
northeastfiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-07-2012 03:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for northeastfieroSend a Private Message to northeastfieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Got the first of the two turbo exhaust manifolds made today. It is made from an exhaust manifold from an e30 325i and the exhaust flange from the v12

northeastfiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-08-2012 03:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for northeastfieroSend a Private Message to northeastfieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Today I sprayed the engine fools gold candy it had 3 coats of primer 3 coats of silver base 5 coats of gold candy and four coats of clear coat.

jscott1

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 415
Rate this member

Report this Post04-08-2012 06:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
WOW! Is all I have to say. This is going to be the best Chop top EVER!!

madcurl

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 314
Rate this member

Report this Post04-08-2012 08:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Nice to see somebody thinking way outside the box. Keep up the good work.

------------------

"Friends don't let their friends drive stock."

JumpStart

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-11-2012 12:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JumpStartSend a Private Message to JumpStartEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by madcurl:

Nice to see somebody thinking way outside the box. Keep up the good work.

X2 I like outside the box. Keeps life interesting. Very nicely done.

Steve
northeastfiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-14-2012 05:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for northeastfieroSend a Private Message to northeastfieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Put a few bits back together today starting to look like an engine now.

Will

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-15-2012 07:30 AM Click Here to See the Profile for WillSend a Private Message to WillEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Is this actually the way you're going to run this manifold?
northeastfiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-15-2012 04:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for northeastfieroSend a Private Message to northeastfieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yes the manifolds will be that way although the pipe routing will be altered a little. Is there a reason for asking?.
northeastfiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-15-2012 04:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for northeastfieroSend a Private Message to northeastfieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

northeastfiero

511 posts
Member since Mar 2005
Yes the manifolds will be that way although the pipe routing will be altered a little. Is there a reason for asking?.

Originally posted by Will:

Are you trying to build a fast car or just going for the cool factor?

The Mercedes V12 is *far* more powerful than the BMW V12 and just as economically priced here in the US.

Over here you will pay over £2000 for a v12 Mercedes engine here if you can find one.
countach500

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-15-2012 05:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for countach500Send a Private Message to countach500Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Amazing project
PFF
System Bot
northeastfiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-15-2012 06:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for northeastfieroSend a Private Message to northeastfieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by countach500:

Amazing project

Welcome to the forum do you have a countach replica yourself.

Will

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-15-2012 10:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WillSend a Private Message to WillEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Over here you will pay over £2000 for a v12 Mercedes engine here if you can find one.

Welding the original flanges on top of your stock flanges is pretty ghetto... It looks like you're trying to do a nice job on the rest of the build, so those look out of place.

How did your masking of the flanges work out? I notice that for the exhaust ports and water ports on the back ends of the engine you have the edge of the paint in the middle of the sealing area.

BMW V12's can be had for $1000-$2000 here within pickup distance. Mercs are $1500 - $2500.
However, the BMW V12 is 5.0 to 5.4 litres and 300-330 HP. The Merc is 6.0 and 390 to 410 HP out of the box. The Merc is also much more upgradeable than the BMW.

[This message has been edited by Will (edited 04-15-2012).]

countach500

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-16-2012 11:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for countach500Send a Private Message to countach500Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Welcome to the forum do you have a countach replica yourself.

Have no
GADJet

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-16-2012 12:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GADJetSend a Private Message to GADJetEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Very nice project!
qwikgta

Feedback score:    (21)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 84
Rate this member

Report this Post04-17-2012 11:43 AM Click Here to See the Profile for qwikgtaSend a Private Message to qwikgtaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Will:
Welding the original flanges on top of your stock flanges is pretty ghetto... It looks like you're trying to do a nice job on the rest of the build, so those look out of place.

I think he created them from two different parts. Maybe they don't make an "off the shelf" part for this swap. This is what the text above the photo said.

"It is made from an exhaust manifold from an e30 325i and the exhaust flange from the v12"

After the mani's are fully welded, and then cleaned up and coated, you may not even notice.

Rob

qwikgta

Feedback score:    (21)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 84
Rate this member

Report this Post04-17-2012 11:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for qwikgtaSend a Private Message to qwikgtaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

qwikgta

4659 posts
Member since Jan 2001
Love this thread. Keep up the great work. I have wanted to do something like this for years. Extended wheel base, V8/Audi motor swap. Never thought to put it all together with a widebody/chop top, I can only imagine what its going to look like.

Rob
Will

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-17-2012 12:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WillSend a Private Message to WillEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by qwikgta:
I think he created them from two different parts. Maybe they don't make an "off the shelf" part for this swap. This is what the text above the photo said.

I read what he wrote.
The manifolds were built for the M20 inline 6. He cut the flanges off the M70 V12 manifolds and welded the M20 flanges directly on top of the M70 flanges. I think he should have cut the M20 flanges off the new manifolds and welded the new tubes to the original V12 flanges.
85SEnochie

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 58
Rate this member

Report this Post04-17-2012 12:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 85SEnochieSend a Private Message to 85SEnochieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Just posting WOW! and Cooooooool! So now I can keep up with the updates too.

------------------

Love The Excitement! https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum1/HTML/068738.html

madcurl

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 314
Rate this member

Report this Post04-29-2012 08:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Marine1981

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-08-2012 11:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Marine1981Click Here to visit Marine1981's HomePageSend a Private Message to Marine1981Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Bump.....
PFF
System Bot
northeastfiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-08-2012 06:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for northeastfieroSend a Private Message to northeastfieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Just got the adapter plate, flywheel, 700lb clutch and pressure plate will post some pics tomorrow. I hope to have the gearbox mated to the engine this weekend if I have enough time.
northeastfiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-09-2012 12:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for northeastfieroSend a Private Message to northeastfieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Some pics of the parts

northeastfiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-30-2012 04:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for northeastfieroSend a Private Message to northeastfieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Finally managed to find some time this week to do a few bits and pieces on the v12

Both of the throttle body adapters made from 10mm aluminium sheet now fitted, I still have to make the linkage to control them simultaniously

Started to adapt the subframe to accept the engine and gearbox

Celthora87GT

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-30-2012 10:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Celthora87GTSend a Private Message to Celthora87GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
WOW! just WOW
northeastfiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-03-2012 10:30 AM Click Here to See the Profile for northeastfieroSend a Private Message to northeastfieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Test fitting in the engine bay still have a fair bit of tweaking to do but it fits.

Sharkman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-04-2012 05:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SharkmanSend a Private Message to SharkmanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Great work and a fantastic build.
Have a question about the gearbox. What car was it from and what direction is that gearbox mounted in original? In the same direction as you installed it with the V12?
bubbajoexxx

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 112
Rate this member

Report this Post08-04-2012 08:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bubbajoexxxClick Here to visit bubbajoexxx's HomePageSend a Private Message to bubbajoexxxEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Finally managed to find some time this week to do a few bits and pieces on the v12

Both of the throttle body adapters made from 10mm aluminium sheet now fitted, I still have to make the linkage to control them simultaniously

Started to adapt the subframe to accept the engine and gearbox

with the amount of axle misalinment you have you are going to have problems with broken CV joints max missalinement is 17 degrees with requiers a 12 inch stretch
northeastfiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-29-2012 03:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for northeastfieroSend a Private Message to northeastfieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Just a couple of updates

Test fitting the engine

Altered the intakes to face the oppisite way and made up two new throttle body adapters and linkage and new oil fillers

Decided the old stretched cradle was not up to the job so busy making a new one

Have also cut thee firewall a little to allow the engine to move forward on the cradle to get the axles to about 10 degress out.
bubbajoexxx

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 112
Rate this member

Report this Post08-31-2012 05:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bubbajoexxxClick Here to visit bubbajoexxx's HomePageSend a Private Message to bubbajoexxxEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
we need updates love the way you are building this
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 3 pages long:  1   2   3 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock