First UK Choptop by northeastfiero
Started on: 08-17-2011 05:19 PM
Replies: 105 (5826 views)
Last post by: northeastfiero on 08-21-2014 05:17 PM
northeastfiero

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-17-2011 05:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for northeastfieroSend a Private Message to northeastfieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The car is an 88 fastback upto now the only mod is the eps power steering that I did last year. Here are a few pics as of today.

Nice rust free floor plan

Shot of the eps power steering

The choptop windows from Archie

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
PK

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-18-2011 03:19 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PKSend a Private Message to PKEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Looking forward to following this and who knows...maybe actually seeing it one day!?

northeastfiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-18-2011 05:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for northeastfieroSend a Private Message to northeastfieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Got all the cuts done will start to get it aligned up and welded up over the weekend

F355spider

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 108
Rate this member

Report this Post08-18-2011 06:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for F355spiderSend a Private Message to F355spiderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Cool, gotta follow this one will have to see pictures at home, work gives me red Xs
jscott1

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 415
Rate this member

Report this Post08-18-2011 11:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hey Carl, what's up with the hinges? I think you have a little more going on here than just a normal fastback.

jwrape

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-19-2011 06:34 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jwrapeSend a Private Message to jwrapeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by jscott1:

Hey Carl, what's up with the hinges? I think you have a little more going on here than just a normal fastback.

And a Roll Bar
northeastfiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-19-2011 04:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for northeastfieroSend a Private Message to northeastfieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hi Jonathan, the straps are for an Archie type of hatchback that I will make when I get to the body stage. Got the weenkend off so hope to do a bit more on it.

Carl

[This message has been edited by northeastfiero (edited 08-19-2011).]

jscott1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-19-2011 11:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by northeastfiero:

Hi Jonathan, the straps are for an Archie type of hatchback that I will make when I get to the body stage. Got the weenkend off so hope to do a bit more on it.

Carl

Wow,and Archie fastback too! Do you also have a wodebody kit? This car seems to be going all the way.
madcurl

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 314
Rate this member

Report this Post08-21-2011 01:11 AM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Wow,and Archie fastback too! Do you also have a widebody kit? This car seems to be going all the way.

Yeap. I see some pretty wide rear tires sticking out from the sides.
F355spider

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-21-2011 09:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for F355spiderSend a Private Message to F355spiderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
How wide are those wheels? looking good
Gall757

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post08-21-2011 09:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Why don't you do what they do down under and make it right-hand-drive? (I don't know how they do it!)
PFF
System Bot
northeastfiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-22-2011 12:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for northeastfieroSend a Private Message to northeastfieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by F355spider:

How wide are those wheels? looking good

Thanks the wheels are 18x8.5 front and 18x9.5 rear

Originally posted by Gall757:

Why don't you do what they do down under and make it right-hand-drive? (I don't know how they do it!)

I have thought about it might do it when I get a few of the other bits done first

Got the last of the welding done at the weekend, now time to move onto the next stage of the build.

GADJet

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-22-2011 02:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GADJetSend a Private Message to GADJetEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
northeastfiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-24-2011 07:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for northeastfieroSend a Private Message to northeastfieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Some more progress pics managed to get the engine removed ready for the next stage also ordered a new steering rack to weigh up the possibilities of converting to a RHD.

northeastfiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-24-2011 10:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for northeastfieroSend a Private Message to northeastfieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

northeastfiero

511 posts
Member since Mar 2005
Quick shot of what is going to happen this evening more cutting.

The stretch is not for any kit that I am fitting have not decided on the specific stretch yet between 5" and 11" any comments and suggestions welcome.
jwrape

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-24-2011 10:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jwrapeSend a Private Message to jwrapeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Quick shot of what is going to happen this evening more cutting.

The stretch is not for any kit that I am fitting have not decided on the specific stretch yet between 5" and 11" any comments and suggestions welcome.

Not stretching for a kit. I guess you don't like the normal wheelbase then?

------------------
86 Fiero 2M4 Silver, and 86 GT

northeastfiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-24-2011 11:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for northeastfieroSend a Private Message to northeastfieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Just been a bit different a widebody choptop stretch.
northeastfiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-24-2011 07:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for northeastfieroSend a Private Message to northeastfieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

northeastfiero

511 posts
Member since Mar 2005
My car fell in half

1988holleyformula

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 68
Rate this member

Report this Post08-24-2011 08:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 1988holleyformulaSend a Private Message to 1988holleyformulaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Just been a bit different a widebody choptop stretch.

Don't forget the hatch! I like your style man!
jscott1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-24-2011 08:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Seriously intense build going on here. I didn't see THAT coming!

F355spider

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-24-2011 08:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for F355spiderSend a Private Message to F355spiderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Seriously intense build going on here. I didn't see THAT coming!

X2

PFF
System Bot
Carcenomy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-25-2011 01:43 AM Click Here to See the Profile for CarcenomyClick Here to visit Carcenomy's HomePageSend a Private Message to CarcenomyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Gall757:

Depends on how you approach it. I hear the Triumph Herald rack is a good fit, or there's chaindrive like AusFiero is using... it's a big job, but if you're prepared to cut your car in half then it's not really out of your abilities!
nitroheadz28

Feedback score:    (26)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 94
Rate this member

Report this Post08-25-2011 02:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for nitroheadz28Send a Private Message to nitroheadz28Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Wow! You sure don't wait around, can't wait to see whats next!
northeastfiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-25-2011 03:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for northeastfieroSend a Private Message to northeastfieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Only managed a few hours work tonight. It takes a lot of work to make sure everything is even and square, I must have measured about 50 times to make sure. It is tack welded at the moment once the bars are fully welded I have some 1.2mm sheet steel to bend and fill in the gaps to add more strength.

northeastfiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-25-2011 07:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for northeastfieroSend a Private Message to northeastfieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

northeastfiero

511 posts
Member since Mar 2005
Got the rest of the rails fully welded I added and extra 10" in the end

Danyel

Feedback score:    (91)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 171
Rate this member

Report this Post08-26-2011 01:07 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DanyelClick Here to visit Danyel's HomePageSend a Private Message to DanyelEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I love what you are doing northeastfiero ....my question is ...can that kind of stretch handle a V8 SBC ... I'm looking to see if the Black Widow 2nd edition in 2014 could handle that structurally ??? Thanks for any answers... sorry northeastfiero to break your thread a little.. I'm really wondering if any experts could chime in ... this thread is added to my favorites ... !!! GOOD JOB !!!

------------------

My build Thread
http://www.tylerstoy.com

northeastfiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-26-2011 02:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for northeastfieroSend a Private Message to northeastfieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hi Danyel, thank you and yes it can handle a V8 SBC and other more powerful engines as long as everything is done right. This is quite a common procedure for people doing replicas to accheive the correct wheelbase.

http://lambolounge.com/Chas...Jo/Stretching-Jo.asp

[This message has been edited by northeastfiero (edited 08-26-2011).]

northeastfiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-27-2011 05:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for northeastfieroSend a Private Message to northeastfieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Managed to get all the 1.6mm sheet metal cut bent and welded up today

PK

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-27-2011 06:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PKSend a Private Message to PKEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Moving along nicely.

Did your engine ever materialise or have you got new plans for this beasty?

Cheers
PK

p.s. Am looking for an 87 Coupe or 88 Formula lower air dam if you know or hear of one in UK.
nightonfire

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-28-2011 07:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for nightonfireSend a Private Message to nightonfireEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Whats next !!!!
northeastfiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-29-2011 03:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for northeastfieroSend a Private Message to northeastfieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Pulled the front crossmember out to renew all the parts and converting to right hand drive.
PFF
System Bot
northeastfiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-07-2011 05:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for northeastfieroSend a Private Message to northeastfieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Finally got to do some work on the car tonight see if you can see whats different.

northeastfiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-08-2011 02:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for northeastfieroSend a Private Message to northeastfieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Got the rack fitted just waiting on an order from the Fiero store to rebuild suspension and brakes.

northeastfiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-10-2011 09:30 AM Click Here to See the Profile for northeastfieroSend a Private Message to northeastfieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Cleared the fron trunk and removed the steering wheel.

northeastfiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-11-2011 01:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for northeastfieroSend a Private Message to northeastfieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Got a bit more done this afternoon

Cut a piece of 1.2mm steel to shape then welded the two pieces together

Still got to make up the bracket to hold the top in place

F355spider

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-11-2011 06:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for F355spiderSend a Private Message to F355spiderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Do you have to change the driver side or are you doing it because you want to? Looks like a lot of work, will you still have AC or will you give it up?
northeastfiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-11-2011 06:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for northeastfieroSend a Private Message to northeastfieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
In our country we can keep them as left hand drive but on our small narrow roads it is a lot easier to overtake when you have a right hand drive. Yes I am still going to have ac I should have pics later in the week.
SMTHGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-17-2011 08:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SMTHGTSend a Private Message to SMTHGTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
WoW...

Bump

------------------
aka. SmoothGT
NotAFieroAnyLonger
CURRENT BUILD:
" SmoothGT-'w8nc' "

northeastfiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-17-2011 05:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for northeastfieroSend a Private Message to northeastfieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Will have some more updates to post tomorrow. Hey SMTHGT do you have a build thread for your present build, I was sorry to hear what happend to your origional car.
northeastfiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-18-2011 09:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for northeastfieroSend a Private Message to northeastfieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Got a couple of updates on the right hand drive conversion. Got all the steel framework all welded up all nice and solid now. The steering cloum is connected to the rack and turns freely going to work on getting the heater box to fit back next.

This pic shows the new pedal assembly need to tweak the angle of the pedals a little bit though, also the clearance for the colum uv joints and a bit of the bracing.

Here you can see the steeel framework to hold the steering colum in place

A shot showing the relocated master cylinder and the steering rack

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 3 pages long:  1   2   3 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay