Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat
  New engine swap, 4.9 V8 to a 2.0 4 cylinder (Page 1)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 9 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
New engine swap, 4.9 V8 to a 2.0 4 cylinder by FieroMaster88
Started on: 07-08-2011 07:02 PM
Replies: 337 (17767 views)
Last post by: FieroMaster88 on 06-16-2020 11:02 PM
FieroMaster88

Feedback score:    (43)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 168
Rate this member

Report this Post07-08-2011 07:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroMaster88Send a Private Message to FieroMaster88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yes, you read the title correctly. I'm swapping out my 4.9 for a 2.0 4 cylinder engine with a turbocharger. I picked up the swap from fieroguy123 in Indianapolis. I'm looking for more HP that the 4.9 and better gas mileage. It came with the Getrag attached to it. It took 2.5 hours to remove the 4.9 and get the 2.0 on the cradle and ready to go into the car. Tomorrow morning I'll swap the shift cables over, install the positive and negative cables onto the engine and install the engine into the car. I also have to swap my fuel pressure sender, oil temperature sender and oil pressure senders over to the 2.0 engine. I hope to have it done in 3 or 4 hours tomorrow and drive the car home. Here are some pictures from today.
This:

Has to go in place of this:

Step 1, disconnect everything:

Step 2, remove from car:

Then remove from cradle:

Then put the 4 cylinder and transmission on the cradle and get ready to go back into the car:

That's all for today, more tomorrow.

Video of the 4.9's last run:

------------------

88 Coupe: Boosted 4 cylinder coming soon!
65 Chevrolet Corvair: 110 4 speed project car

[This message has been edited by FieroMaster88 (edited 07-08-2011).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Rallaster

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 84
Rate this member

Report this Post07-08-2011 07:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RallasterSend a Private Message to RallasterEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Good luck! (You're gonna need it if you want to keep your @$$) That engine is a BEAST. Fieroguy123 didn't spare any sanity building that engine, it really knows how to go, and. It. Goes. FAST.
cooguyfish

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 72
Rate this member

Report this Post07-08-2011 07:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cooguyfishSend a Private Message to cooguyfishEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Out of curiosity, what becomes of the old 4.9?
SeperatedSoul

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-08-2011 07:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SeperatedSoulSend a Private Message to SeperatedSoulEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
very nice swap looks great! may i ask waht that engine was off of? (the 2.0L) is it the turbo charger bmw 2.0?
JesseM

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-08-2011 07:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JesseMSend a Private Message to JesseMEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Just lovely :]
Rick 88

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-08-2011 08:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Rick 88Send a Private Message to Rick 88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by SeperatedSoul:

very nice swap looks great! may i ask waht that engine was off of? (the 2.0L) is it the turbo charger bmw 2.0?

Pontiac Sumbird Turbo GT
fierosound

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 286
Rate this member

Report this Post07-08-2011 08:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

is it the turbo charger bmw 2.0?

Looks like the engine from the Turbo-Sunbird.

Rallaster

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-08-2011 08:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RallasterSend a Private Message to RallasterEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I don't know what year, but it came out of a Sunbird Turbo, and the Turbo is off the 3.1 Mclaren.

//www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum1/HTML/077640.html<<Random 2.0 Turbo forum search result...

Fieroguy123 did a proper build thread (I think), but there is a bunch of info on this swap floating around on the forum, just gotta search for it...

Different 2.0 Turbo search result>> //www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum1/HTML/077264.html

[This message has been edited by Rallaster (edited 07-08-2011).]

FieroMaster88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-08-2011 08:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroMaster88Send a Private Message to FieroMaster88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by cooguyfish:

Out of curiosity, what becomes of the old 4.9?

//www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum4/HTML/057635.html

The 2.0 turbo engine is from a sunbird GT. We had a nice new M3 in the shop today. I would love to have that engine in my car. All aluminum with 414HP and a double clutch transmission.

If the 4.9 does not sell I'm gonna put it in a 86 coupe.
fieroguy123

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post07-08-2011 08:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguy123Send a Private Message to fieroguy123Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hey I've seen that engine before!!!
SMTHGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-08-2011 08:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SMTHGTSend a Private Message to SMTHGTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hey long time no see how are you...??

Smooth...

Originally posted by FieroMaster88:

The 2.0 turbo engine is from a sunbird GT. We had a nice new M3 in the shop today. I would love to have that engine in my car. All aluminum with 414HP and a double clutch transmission.

------------------
aka. SmoothGT
NotAFieroAnyLonger
CURRENT BUILD:
" SmoothGT-'w8nc' "

PFF
System Bot
MstangsBware

Feedback score:    (108)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 459
Rate this member

Report this Post07-08-2011 08:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MstangsBwareSend a Private Message to MstangsBwareEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Man...Going from a big Ol' fire breathing, exhaust rumbling V-8 to a little Ol' 4 Pot.......Good move....

FieroMaster88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-08-2011 08:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroMaster88Send a Private Message to FieroMaster88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
More HP and better gas mileage. How could I go wrong?
MstangsBware

Feedback score:    (108)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 459
Rate this member

Report this Post07-08-2011 08:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MstangsBwareSend a Private Message to MstangsBwareEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I agree....I love that swap and thought about doing one a long time back when I saw a motor in a local junk yard....It is a cool swap for sure........
N3M3S1S

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 51
Rate this member

Report this Post07-08-2011 11:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for N3M3S1SSend a Private Message to N3M3S1SEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

What's a ball park of what you're looking to get for it? If you have it for a while I'd love to snag it up.

[This message has been edited by N3M3S1S (edited 07-08-2011).]

Mickey_Moose

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 143
Rate this member

Report this Post07-09-2011 09:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Mickey_MooseClick Here to visit Mickey_Moose's HomePageSend a Private Message to Mickey_MooseEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
...I just hate you for having a nice garage and a hoist like that to be able to do the work on the car...

that is all I have to say...as I am going to go and sulk...

[This message has been edited by Mickey_Moose (edited 07-09-2011).]

Boogaloo

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-09-2011 10:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BoogalooSend a Private Message to BoogalooEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

165 hp is all it puts out gas mileage yes.
fieroguru

Feedback score:    (45)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 258
Rate this member

Report this Post07-09-2011 12:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Boogaloo:

165 hp is all it puts out gas mileage yes.

That probably was the stock rating, this one has a turbo upgrade and some other tweaks... my guess is north of 200 hp now.
Xyster

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-09-2011 12:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for XysterSend a Private Message to XysterEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Any idea how much weight was shaved?
Rallaster

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-09-2011 01:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RallasterSend a Private Message to RallasterEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fieroguru:

That probably was the stock rating, this one has a turbo upgrade and some other tweaks... my guess is north of 200 hp now.

If memory serves, Fieroguy123 put it at 200-215 with it's current W/G setting of 6psi, but the engine was built for AutoX and, IIRC, can handle up to 15psi reliably. What 15psi puts the output to, I have no idea, but the way the twin TB's increase the response, I'm not sure I'd want to run 15psi...

Until I drove it, I wanted a duplicate of this drivetrain in my Fiero, but after driving it, I think the second TB, coupled with the necessary extra-stiff clutch makes for a beast of a daily driver...

[This message has been edited by Rallaster (edited 07-09-2011).]

Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post07-09-2011 04:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Boosted those engines put out 165 HP @ 170 ft lbs torque. If you up the boost with some mods you might get 100HP per liter (which is considered excellent). Point is that you'll be back at the 4.9L horsepower level with greatly lower torque but with less weight and most likely better mileage.

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, 3.4" Pulley, N* TB, LS1 MAF, Flotech Exhaust Autolite 104's Custom CAI 4T65eHD w. custom axles, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

PFF
System Bot
FieroMaster88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-09-2011 04:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroMaster88Send a Private Message to FieroMaster88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It's in, it runs and I drove it home. No pictures today. It was 100 degrees in the shop and I just wanted to get done. I have to hook up the speedometer, air fuel ratio gauge and fuel pressure gauges still but thats for another day. I forgot how big of a pain it is to bleed the clutch out. Took forever. After driving the car home (15 miles mix of city and highway) I can say I am way happier with this swap. It does not have the torque of the 4.9 but once it's going it accelerates faster. I can tell there is less weight back there too. The car handles differently now for sure. The boost is only at 6 PSI and I don't want to adjust it until I get the wide band 02 sensor hooked up. I have to check the timing still too. I'll get some pictures and video's soon. Now time for a shower and go to dinner with the wife.

Oh, one of my future mods I have planned is to install an intercooler. I have to figure out what will work and where to put it but that's for another day.

[This message has been edited by FieroMaster88 (edited 07-09-2011).]

JamesCurtis

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 64
Rate this member

Report this Post07-09-2011 07:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JamesCurtisSend a Private Message to JamesCurtisEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm anxious to see the pics. I'm sure it'll be a lot of fun once you start cranking up the boost too .
FieroMaster88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-10-2011 07:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroMaster88Send a Private Message to FieroMaster88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Here are some installed pictures I took today after I washed all my fingerprints off the car.

I want to redo the exhaust with a couple small glass pack mufflers and 2.5 inch pipe. It should flow a little better that way. I plan on ordering the piping and the intercooler tomorrow. Once I get that stuff done I'll up the boost a little.
Rallaster

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-10-2011 11:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RallasterSend a Private Message to RallasterEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Looking good!

How's it driving for ya?
mattwa

Feedback score:    (41)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 88
Rate this member

Report this Post07-10-2011 11:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mattwaSend a Private Message to mattwaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Looks really nice! However, If I were to do that turbo swap, that backwords Turbo would really annoy me, to the point that I'd rather remove it then keep on it like that.
pontiackid86

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 344
Rate this member

Report this Post07-10-2011 11:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pontiackid86Send a Private Message to pontiackid86Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Your doing it wrong you cant take a V8 car and drop it back down to 4 cylinders.... thats like cutting half the bulls testicles off during a bull fight... it pisses the bull off even more

Lol all kidding aside you cant go wrong with boost. turbo is addicting.
unboundmo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-11-2011 03:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for unboundmoSend a Private Message to unboundmoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I know pontiac kid... crazy.... At least go to a v6 turbo... It looks good though. Let us know what you think.
FieroMaster88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-11-2011 07:11 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroMaster88Send a Private Message to FieroMaster88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Rallaster:

Looking good!

How's it driving for ya?

It drives great. I'm going to wire up the speedometer and stuff tonight after work.
La fiera

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-11-2011 07:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for La fieraSend a Private Message to La fieraEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Nice Job!! Cant wait to see the dyno numbers and a nice video!!
AWDimpreza-L

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-11-2011 08:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AWDimpreza-LSend a Private Message to AWDimpreza-LEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Its a neat swap, but I dont think I would have gotten rid of the 4.9 for that (unless it was on its last leg), Good luck finding a head if this one ever cracks!

------------------
84 2m4 72 whp 108 wtq, stock.

PFF
System Bot
fieroguy123

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-11-2011 12:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguy123Send a Private Message to fieroguy123Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The heads aren't that hard to come by. Component machine here in indy has like 15 of them sittin on the shelf and they let them go cheap.

------------------
"Tyler is the reason, the car is just the excuse."

FieroMaster88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-12-2011 07:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroMaster88Send a Private Message to FieroMaster88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Day I got the Air/fuel gauge hooked up and the firewall pass through switched over and snapped into place. I still don't have the speedometer working but that's for another day. I need to find schematics for it. My muffler came in today too so I'll get that installed later this week.
How about a picture?

[This message has been edited by FieroMaster88 (edited 07-12-2011).]

Rallaster

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-12-2011 09:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RallasterSend a Private Message to RallasterEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That looks sweet.

I'll bet it sounds better than the 4.9 too.. Just something about a turbo spooling gets the blood pumping.
fieroguy123

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-13-2011 07:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguy123Send a Private Message to fieroguy123Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That is such a good looking car, well done sir!
Pete Matos

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-13-2011 08:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Pete MatosSend a Private Message to Pete MatosEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
in a word.....SWEET!! Peace

Pete

James_GT

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-13-2011 08:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for James_GTSend a Private Message to James_GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Nice work! I like the look of this engine in the Fiero, it just seems like one that could have come with the car stock. Pretty much the perfect combination of fuel economy and performance. I remember reading somewhere a while ago that there was a company that was installing these in Fieros back in the 80s.

------------------
James

RHD 1987 Pontiac Fiero GT

FieroMaster88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-17-2011 08:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroMaster88Send a Private Message to FieroMaster88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Got the speedometer and the electronic fuel pressure gauges working today. I got the new high flow muffler installed last Thursday. The turbo spools faster and makes 2 more pounds of boost just after changing the muffler. I need to get some pipe for the intake and figure out what intercooler to get.
Rallaster

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-17-2011 08:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RallasterSend a Private Message to RallasterEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Got the speedometer and the electronic fuel pressure gauges working today. I got the new high flow muffler installed last Thursday. The turbo spools faster and makes 2 more pounds of boost just after changing the muffler. I need to get some pipe for the intake and figure out what intercooler to get.

Was that even possible?? J/K... maybe.

Got a video of it running? I'd love to hear how it sounds with the new muffler.
RWDPLZ

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 304
Rate this member

Report this Post07-17-2011 08:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RWDPLZClick Here to visit RWDPLZ's HomePageSend a Private Message to RWDPLZEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Nice! Much better looking engine, too.
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 9 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock