Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat
  New engine swap, 4.9 V8 to a 2.0 4 cylinder (Page 3)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 9 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
New engine swap, 4.9 V8 to a 2.0 4 cylinder by FieroMaster88
Started on: 07-08-2011 07:02 PM
Replies: 337 (17762 views)
Last post by: FieroMaster88 on 06-16-2020 11:02 PM
FieroMaster88

Feedback score:    (43)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 168
Rate this member

Report this Post05-09-2012 07:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroMaster88Send a Private Message to FieroMaster88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Here's some pictures of the parts:
Exhaust pipe:

Intercooler pipe:

Intercooler parts:

Fabricated 2.5" Exhaust:

It took about 3 hours to build the exhaust and I'm really happy with the results. I have enough pipe left over to build another exhaust too. Next project is the intercooler.

[This message has been edited by FieroMaster88 (edited 05-09-2012).]

IP: Logged
BV MotorSports

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 189
Rate this member

Report this Post05-09-2012 09:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BV MotorSportsSend a Private Message to BV MotorSportsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Nice work on your exhaust. I got asked all the time why I didnt run the outlets on both sides on my last Fiero (88GT L67). Easier, cheaper, lighter and flows better came to mind. I tried to get the point across to Dean on my current build. I still think he is going to try to have a symmetrical exhaust. I don't see the point.

------------------
Whodeanie built 1988 Fiero GT, loaded, 14k original miles, F23, built L67 swap, ST2 cam and matching valvetrain, PT67 bb turbo, w2a charge-cooled ----400-500whp?????? More mods when I get it back (interior, suspension, lighting etc). Stay tuned!
1987 Fiero GT Road Racer. 1st documented 3.4TDC swap- built in 1994. 5MT Isuzu, Quaife prototype LSD, HT Tubular A-arms, Fully poly & Heim jointed suspension, Custom 3 way adjustible sway bars, HT Bump Steer kit, Koin's, 320# springs, GA brakes, ZEX N20 and more! Under full restoration.
2007 Toyota Tacoma Double cab Prerunner SR5 Stock, and staying that way.
2009 KTM 250SX motocross bike. Modded and fun as hell!

FieroMaster88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-09-2012 10:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroMaster88Send a Private Message to FieroMaster88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
My car came stock with a 4 cylinder, single exhaust so it's only fitting that it has a single exhaust now.
Reallybig

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-10-2012 01:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ReallybigSend a Private Message to ReallybigEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
My 88 2.5 had the dual trumpet exhaust from the factory I think. Both cutouts in the bumper are stock. It just seems odd to have one exhaust tip per cylinder originating from one pipe. It doesn't get any more for show than that!
FieroMaster88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-12-2012 12:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroMaster88Send a Private Message to FieroMaster88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Took a couple pictures today after cleaning the car up.

FieroMaster88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-12-2012 12:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroMaster88Send a Private Message to FieroMaster88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

FieroMaster88

7680 posts
Member since Nov 2000
And a crappy video I took with my Iphone. Sound is not that great and never mind my belt squeak.

BV MotorSports

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-12-2012 07:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BV MotorSportsSend a Private Message to BV MotorSportsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by FieroMaster88:

Took a couple pictures today after cleaning the car up.

I like the in dash boost. Nice! Your car looks great. However, mirrors are for show cars. IMO, they have no place on performance cars. And you sir, have a PERFORMANCE car. I did see mirros right? lol
FieroMaster88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-12-2012 08:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroMaster88Send a Private Message to FieroMaster88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The car is a little bit of everything. Show and go.
FieroMaster88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-09-2012 08:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroMaster88Send a Private Message to FieroMaster88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Just an update. The dog bone mount broke when driving the other day. I am going to redo the engine mounts now so the engine doesn't move and it won't need a dogbone. I need to install the water to air intercooler too.
Khw

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 134
Rate this member

Report this Post06-09-2012 08:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KhwSend a Private Message to KhwEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I know this swap isn't popular, but I must say it's one of the swaps that looks like it belongs in a Fiero. Only thing that looks odd about it it the writting being upside down. Good job!

[This message has been edited by Khw (edited 06-09-2012).]

Fierokid87

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 80
Rate this member

Report this Post06-10-2012 08:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Fierokid87Send a Private Message to Fierokid87Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Looks pretty good. Thats a rare engine too! And those rims were something like I was wonting for the Formula. I just cant ever seem to locate the proper offsets.

------------------
Go here to see more of my Formula: <A Class="HTMLBodyLink" HREF="http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/430754
" TARGET=_blank>http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/430754
</A>

[This message has been edited by Fierokid87 (edited 06-10-2012).]

PFF
System Bot
FieroMaster88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-14-2012 07:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroMaster88Send a Private Message to FieroMaster88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I redid the engine mounts today. I welded better, stronger brackets and polyeurthane mounts. I no longer need the upper dogbone which is good because it broke. I also leveled the engine. Before it was sitting about an inch high on the right side. The car is much smoother to drive now. No pictures because I was focused on what I was doing. Maybe now I can finally get to my intercooler install.
BV MotorSports

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-14-2012 10:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BV MotorSportsSend a Private Message to BV MotorSportsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yeah, get to that w2a instal!
FieroMaster88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-21-2012 03:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroMaster88Send a Private Message to FieroMaster88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Finally have a couple hours with nothing to do so I'm going to work on the w2a setup. I'll take some pictures and post em up later.
BV MotorSports

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-21-2012 03:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BV MotorSportsSend a Private Message to BV MotorSportsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hell yeah!
FieroMaster88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-21-2012 05:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroMaster88Send a Private Message to FieroMaster88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I had to order a couple parts for the charge pipes so not much progress. I got the w2a intercooler in its location:
BV MotorSports

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-21-2012 05:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BV MotorSportsSend a Private Message to BV MotorSportsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I must be missing something, how are you going to route the charge pipes into the heat exchanger if the inlet and outlet are against the firewall?
RWDPLZ

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 304
Rate this member

Report this Post06-21-2012 05:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RWDPLZClick Here to visit RWDPLZ's HomePageSend a Private Message to RWDPLZEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
One of the best looking engines GM ever made, looks great!
FieroMaster88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-21-2012 07:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroMaster88Send a Private Message to FieroMaster88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The inlet and outlet are not aginst the firewall. There is about 7 inches there. I ordered 2 silicone 90 degree couplers for them. It gives me a more direct routing to the turbo.
Now that I look at the pictures on my laptop and not my phone I see that it does look like the inlet and outlet are against the firewall. It's deceiving because they are not. I ordered these for the inlet and outlet

[This message has been edited by FieroMaster88 (edited 06-21-2012).]

FieroMaster88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-24-2012 03:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroMaster88Send a Private Message to FieroMaster88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Did a little troubleshooting on my temperature gauge today. It is well into the red before the fan was kicking on. I was not too worried about it because the engine did not seem that warm. Today I let the car idle until the fan kicked on then checked the temperature reading with a second gauge. It read 190 degrees coolant temperature. The gauge in the car was pegged in the red. I guess I need to find a new gauge.
tjthorson

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-24-2012 03:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tjthorsonClick Here to visit tjthorson's HomePageSend a Private Message to tjthorsonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by FieroMaster88:

Did a little troubleshooting on my temperature gauge today. It is well into the red before the fan was kicking on. I was not too worried about it because the engine did not seem that warm. Today I let the car idle until the fan kicked on then checked the temperature reading with a second gauge. It read 190 degrees coolant temperature. The gauge in the car was pegged in the red. I guess I need to find a new gauge.

Good job on the Brazilian engine in a Fiero. I had an 87 Funbird with the turbo 2.0. Not bad little motors - just like to eat head gaskets and warp heads about every 40K miles.... That stupid bolta through the carrier and through the head sandwiching, combined with the TTY bolts (dont ever reuse them!, unless you went ARP)

Watch the boost, keep it from detonating, and have fun.

Oh - wondering what happens when you dont do that???

I see you transplanted the tach/boost gauge - I always did like the Funbird dash.... Nice touch!
PFF
System Bot
FieroMaster88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-24-2012 05:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroMaster88Send a Private Message to FieroMaster88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm working on an intercooler setup right now. I have a wide band o2 and plan on getting some tuning done after I'm finished with the intercooler to avoid a major failure. It is a fun swap that's for sure.
FieroMaster88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-28-2012 12:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroMaster88Send a Private Message to FieroMaster88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Another slow afternoon at work. I think I'll work on the intercooler setup some more.
DucRyder

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-28-2012 04:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DucRyderSend a Private Message to DucRyderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Off topic, but I want to get my fiero up on a lift like the one you have pictured fieromaster88. Can you show / tell me where you place the feet before you lift? (I don't want to crush the cooling tubes or floor pan)
FieroMaster88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-28-2012 08:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroMaster88Send a Private Message to FieroMaster88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Got the charge pipes all installed. Next will be installing everything on the wet side.

FieroMaster88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-28-2012 10:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroMaster88Send a Private Message to FieroMaster88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

FieroMaster88

7680 posts
Member since Nov 2000

Originally posted by DucRyder:

Off topic, but I want to get my fiero up on a lift like the one you have pictured fieromaster88. Can you show / tell me where you place the feet before you lift? (I don't want to crush the cooling tubes or floor pan)

The hoist arms in the rear go to the engine cradle and the front arms go to the front frame rails. I'll try to get a picture next time I have the car in the air.
BV MotorSports

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-28-2012 11:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BV MotorSportsSend a Private Message to BV MotorSportsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Nice!!!! You going to have the tune checked and adjusted to take advantage of the new tubby and lower charge temps?
FieroMaster88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-29-2012 08:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroMaster88Send a Private Message to FieroMaster88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by BV MotorSports:

Nice!!!! You going to have the tune checked and adjusted to take advantage of the new tubby and lower charge temps?

That's the plan. I hope to see an increase in fuel mileage too.
FieroMaster88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-02-2012 09:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroMaster88Send a Private Message to FieroMaster88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I installed a charge pipe coupler to replace one that was split. I'll be driving it again tomorrow. I should have time next week to finish the intercooler install. I have to get the radiator and pump mounted, run the water hoses then wire up the pump and fan. It's been too damn hot at work to even care. 100+ degrees in the shop is getting a little old.
BV MotorSports

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-02-2012 10:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BV MotorSportsSend a Private Message to BV MotorSportsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
And people thought I was crazy for putting AC in my garage! Ha!
RWDPLZ

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 304
Rate this member

Report this Post07-02-2012 10:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RWDPLZClick Here to visit RWDPLZ's HomePageSend a Private Message to RWDPLZEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by BV MotorSports:

And people thought I was crazy for putting AC in my garage! Ha!

"They called me MAD!"
PFF
System Bot
Fosgatecavy98

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-03-2012 12:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Fosgatecavy98Send a Private Message to Fosgatecavy98Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Portage Mi eh?

Maybe we can have a little 4 cylinder shoot off sometime this summer?

http://www.youtube.com/watc...2pI&feature=youtu.be

and my phone can't do loud sounds very well lol
FieroMaster88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-04-2012 06:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroMaster88Send a Private Message to FieroMaster88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I wish we had a/c at work. It sucks working on cars when it's so hot. Oh well. Maybe I'll get the intercooler done next week when it cools off. I drove the car today, god I love this engine setup! Still working out the bugs but it's way more fun that the 4.9 was.

Picture from the other day:
FieroMaster88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-04-2012 06:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroMaster88Send a Private Message to FieroMaster88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

FieroMaster88

7680 posts
Member since Nov 2000

Originally posted by Fosgatecavy98:

Portage Mi eh?

Maybe we can have a little 4 cylinder shoot off sometime this summer?

http://www.youtube.com/watc...2pI&feature=youtu.be

and my phone can't do loud sounds very well lol

Any pictures of your swap? Ecotec turbo?
FieroMaster88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-17-2012 10:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroMaster88Send a Private Message to FieroMaster88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Took the dog for a ride today:

Hopefully I get some time to finish installing the wet side of the w2a intercooler soon...
FieroMaster88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-26-2012 10:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroMaster88Send a Private Message to FieroMaster88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Had a guy I know who details cars come polish the car today. It looks amazing! I'll have to get the camera out and take some pictures. I still have not had time to work on the intercooler. Hopefully soon...
FieroMaster88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-29-2012 10:30 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroMaster88Send a Private Message to FieroMaster88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Pictures after it was detailed and polished:

BV MotorSports

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-29-2012 12:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BV MotorSportsSend a Private Message to BV MotorSportsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Tease... I was looking for some w2a pr0n!
FieroMaster88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-29-2012 03:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroMaster88Send a Private Message to FieroMaster88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I should have time to work on it this week. What should I use for a tank?
BV MotorSports

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-29-2012 08:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BV MotorSportsSend a Private Message to BV MotorSportsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You can use the tank that silicone intakes sell. Or call Dean, he has my old one. We didnt use it on my build.
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 9 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock