Thread Closed  Topic Closed
  Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat
  12 year olds and cars - Kathryn's Fiero (Page 4)

Printable Version

This topic is 44 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18   19   20   21   22   23   24   25   26   27   28   29   30   31   32   33   34   35   36   37   38   39   40   41   42   43   44 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
This thread has been moved here: The Construction Zone.
12 year olds and cars - Kathryn's Fiero by michhiker28
Started on: 04-18-2011 04:37 PM
Replies: 1742 (1027767 views)
Last post by: Cliff Pennock on 02-13-2024 03:58 AM
Valkyrie

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-03-2011 11:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ValkyrieSend a Private Message to ValkyrieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

This!

This has got to be my one of favorite body styles for the Fiero, and that picture is just the perfect angle to show it off. Can't wait to see what it looks like when all's said and done. Those rims are going to look great!

Also, I just kinda ripped through the thread and didn't notice, perhaps I missed it, but I'll ask anyway. Is she planning on leaving the body black or is it going to get some new colour as well?

Anyhow, keep up the good work kiddo (and pappa bear!), nice thread!

[This message has been edited by Valkyrie (edited 06-03-2011).]

IP: Logged
Black Widow

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-04-2011 12:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Black WidowClick Here to visit Black Widow's HomePageSend a Private Message to Black WidowEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Happy Birthday Katherine !!!!

Once your fiero is completely redone take pictures and my husband " Danyel " will make you a "siggy" to use here on PFF. In the meantime we have sent you a small presents to encourage you to keep working hard on your car. Your father has probably given it to you ... also you have a Tyler Shipman show shield included in the box we sent ... you can read all about him here. http://www.tylerstoy.com His mother is also a member on PFF her nick is " nellieship ". Take time to read his story.

Dont forget to post pics of you swapping them in ...... Hope to see you one day in person with your fiero.. Your parents are really great people ... take care of them too.

your canadian friends

Hélène & Danyel

PS Danyel is very busy on the Widow and is away from this forum for a little while.... he sends best wishes too for your birthday

Edited: to include my siggy
----------

[This message has been edited by Black Widow (edited 06-04-2011).]

michhiker28

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-04-2011 07:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for michhiker28Send a Private Message to michhiker28Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks all! We are now less than one week away from the big 13th birthday. I am so excited to share with Kathryn not only her presents, but also all of your thoughts and well wishes. I know she is just going to love reading all of this, and then contributing, so the fun starts on 6/10 :-)

Valkyrie, good catch, I don't know that we have shared her plans for the body color. She is looking at a gloss black (which means a lot of sanding and prep, since the car as it currently exists is a rattle can black over top of an originally red car, it was horribly done and is peeling off in sheets) with yellow racing stripes down the middle.

We are off to pick up a bunch of parts that we found online today, some new door skins, suspension pieces, a coupld of other body panels, wiring, etc. We'll see what all kinds of goodies we find and will of course update with some photos. Hope everyone has a great day!

-MH
carnut122

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 83
Rate this member

Report this Post06-04-2011 10:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for carnut122Send a Private Message to carnut122Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm impressed! I teach 7th graders. This year was the first year that I came across a female student who had changed the oil on a car (her dad's 69 Mustang). She could also talk classic cars better than any of the 50+ males I taught this year. I wish your daughter luck. PM me if you need some spare parts ( I have about 1/2 of a parts cars stored) as I'd be happy to help her with her project.
michhiker28

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-04-2011 09:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for michhiker28Send a Private Message to michhiker28Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks Carnut, we will definitely keep that generous offer in mind! Today we didn't get as much done as we had hoped, but we did get to see Kathryn's little sister play a heck of a game in goal today, so it wasn't a total loss.

We started this morning pulling the passenger side door apart. There is a bit of rust that needs cleaned up, nothing major, and we are changing out the lock solenoids, cleaning the window motors, replacing the door skin on the passenger side, and we'll see how good or not the glass is. At least that is the plan. We didn't get it all done but will finish working on some of that tomorrow too. Here are some pictures of Kathryn at work. At least it was sunny and warm out.

Center punching the rivets

and then pulling the old rivets out

A few of the torx bolts out and then it was off to drive to the game......

When we got back we still had some time before dinner and Dad had found an individual that had some parts for sale on craigslist, incuding what was supposed to be a pretty good console skeleton. Since we NEED one of these, and he also supposedly had a door skin that we could use we decided to drive the hour to go look at it. When we got there he had quite a few Fiero parts so Kathryn made him a deal for the whole lot. She figured that maybe she could swap or sell some of the parts she didn't need to fund those that she still does. So here is SOME of what she came up with.....good thing we took the truck :-)

The entire back of the crew cab was filled with stuff as well......She is turning my shed into a fiero junkyard!
Here are a bunch of spare that we probably don't need, but they came with the sale so no complaints

We can sure use that door skin though

Yes, that is scratch free window glass, for both the drivers side and the passenger side.....hmmmmm, We'll have to see how good her existing glass is. I've heard these are hard to find....

Look what else we found in the boxes.....a console that has not split with the sun and that the vinyl is not all pulled away and in need of reglue. Amazing

Yep, and a spare sunroof that is in really good shape

An extra dash that is also in really nice condition

But most importantly
The console skeleton

Not perfect, but a lot better than what she had. So no complaints there at all. We also found new armrests....long story short, but initially she tried to paint the vinyl instead of dyeing it. That is NOT a smart thing to do. We "fixed" her error, but starting again from scratch with these is probably a better idea.

We ended up with a lot of extra trim pieces, switch gear, bezels, etc. Much of which she has already gone through and cleaned up from her car so we won't have uses for it. But some of the finds in the boxes were well worth the trip. It was a fun road trip and rewarding since we found some of the items that we needed.

--MH
blackrams

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 229
Rate this member

Report this Post06-04-2011 09:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for blackramsSend a Private Message to blackramsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
May I suggest that you'd better be careful, these cars and their owners have turned many a shop and garage into Fiero Parts Bins.

------------------
Ron

Formula88

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 554
Rate this member

Report this Post06-04-2011 11:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula88Send a Private Message to Formula88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It's the Home Fiero Hobby Kit!

Some assembly required.
RandomTask

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 150
Rate this member

Report this Post06-05-2011 02:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RandomTaskSend a Private Message to RandomTaskEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Needs more LS1. . .
donnie072003

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-05-2011 08:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for donnie072003Click Here to visit donnie072003's HomePageSend a Private Message to donnie072003Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It never hurts to have spare parts when you're a Fiero owner!
sadie goad

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-05-2011 02:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sadie goadSend a Private Message to sadie goadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
How's the shape of that e-brake boot? I'm in need of one!

I read through this entire thread during my spare time over the weekend. You have a smart young woman on your hands! My dad bought my Fiero "for" me when I was 12, and officially handed over the title this past April, my golden 23rd birthday. I've helped him here and there with this car and various other projects over the years. The first time I got my hands very dirty with her was Memorial Day weekend when we replaced the defunct clutch. Hard work but very worth it when done. I am sure Kathryn will feel the same way with all of her hard work! I am looking forward to her (and your) progress on this "little" project.

For Kathryn: Happiest of birthdays to you! I look forward to having your comments on this thread. Best of luck to you with this endeavor. I am sure you will be very successful and will learn a lot through all of this. Enjoy this quality time with your dad, too; I love nothing more than spending time in the shop with my father. It gets few and far between as you get older so hang on to it while you can! Thanks to spending so much time with my dad he has become my best friend and I wouldn't change that for the world. I hope you are as lucky as I am (though, from the sounds of it, you definitely are)!
fierofool

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post06-05-2011 04:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
When putting in that new console skeleton and console, be sure to eliminate the little bulbs for the ash trays and the one for the cigar lighter. They create a lot of heat and will eventually cause separation of the shift surround and the console above the cigar lighter. Those bulbs are useless anyway.
PFF
System Bot
michhiker28

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-05-2011 09:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for michhiker28Send a Private Message to michhiker28Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for the heads up regarding the lights under the console, we will make sure to remove them. Today we got a bit done after church.

The trim strip that goes around the sunroof has been cleaned and dyed ready to reinstall

Kathryn cleaned up the anchor belts for the seatbelts, they were a bit rusted down by the attachment points. The vinyl will still need dyed etc. but at least they are on the way. Kathryn cleaned them up with the wire wheel then primed than and got the first coat of paint on the anchor points.

We also got the headlight motor apart, and surprise, surprise, the bumpers were all disintegrated into dust. We need finish getting it apart and cleaned up then back together. We have the rebuild kit so are all set there, but it looks like we will need new motor brushes...anyone have an idea of where we could find them?

We also managed to get the new armrests cleaned up....glued and clamped. They should be ready to be dyed tomorrow.

Finally,
we started to get the door apart further. New switch gear, lock solenoids, and window motors to go in, as well as outside dew wipes, and a new door skin.

Now that we are getting into the more mechanical aspects the learning curve steepens for both Kathryn and Dad, but we continue to make progress and that is the main thing.

-MH

snowblindburd

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-05-2011 10:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for snowblindburdSend a Private Message to snowblindburdEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It's so awesome that you two are working on this together! Great job so far to both of you!
IMSA GT

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 252
Rate this member

Report this Post06-05-2011 10:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IMSA GTSend a Private Message to IMSA GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by michhiker28:

Now that we are getting into the more mechanical aspects the learning curve steepens for both Kathryn and Dad, but we continue to make progress and that is the main thing.

-MH

So far this project is great. As far as the learning curve, I will give you some simple advice since you have the doors torn apart. Definately change the window slider pads in the door. They stabilize the glass when it goes up and down. If the felt is worn, that is why the glass gets scratches in it. Also, here is a really obvious part that is often overlooked. On the outside of the door is an adjustable stop-screw that allows the door skin to be mounted correctly and then the skin is screwed on to the car via this part. Make sure the stop-screw is not unscrewed too much....even from the factory....or your door skin will buldge in the middle:
fierofool

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post06-05-2011 10:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If you've never had a headlight motor apart, a word of advice. Note the white spot on the motor windings. Mark the side of the motor case that white spot goes into and leave the white silicone spot there for reference. If you should pull the motor completely out of both case halves and put it back, turned the other way, the motor will run backwards. I made the mistake on one and when I turned them on, one came up and the other went down. Turned them off and they reversed positions. No fun to have to go back and do them over again.

One other thing: Get that lady some safety glasses

[This message has been edited by fierofool (edited 06-05-2011).]

datacop

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 52
Rate this member

Report this Post06-06-2011 04:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for datacopClick Here to visit datacop's HomePageSend a Private Message to datacopEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fierofool:

One other thing: Get that lady some safety glasses

+1

I have half a dozen pair sitting around my garage.. always easy to grab a set should they be needed...

And to me, they are needed any time a power tool is being used where swarf is being generated at high speed (wire wheel, grinder, cutting wheel)..
any time there's a chance of falling debris (working under the car)...
or when working with a hammer and impact tool (chisel and punches - They can mushroom on the head and the mushroom bits can fly off when struck with a hammer).
michhiker28

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-06-2011 08:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for michhiker28Send a Private Message to michhiker28Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks again all for the help! It is appreciated. Just to put everyones mind at ease.....Kathryn has a good pair of safety glasses, you can see them in some of the other pictures above.....she had just finished with the wire wheel and was removing the part from the vise when I snapped that photo. They are just out of sight on the workbench. I love her, but if she touches power tools without the glasses she gets in trouble and she knows it.....she holds me accountable too.

Thanks for the added reinforcement though as well. You will never find us to proud to take advice or to learn that there are better, easier, or safer ways to do things.

--MH
michhiker28

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-08-2011 07:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for michhiker28Send a Private Message to michhiker28Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Well just a brief update, with a couple of more days until the big 13th birthday. Last night we went and got the front calipers removed and the brakes drained. We also set up the new sand blaster which might be Kathryn's new favorite tool.

and we also started to place the underlayment for the new carpeting.

--MH
datacop

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-08-2011 07:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for datacopClick Here to visit datacop's HomePageSend a Private Message to datacopEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

We also set up the new sand blaster which might be Kathryn's new favorite tool.

Hey!! That looks familiar!! She enjoys the sandblaster now.. but give it time.. I'm sure like Brooke she will grow to hate it.. ESP when it comes time to blast clean those suspension parts that are going to come off
michhiker28

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-08-2011 08:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for michhiker28Send a Private Message to michhiker28Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yeah DataCop, we stole your idea. That things works great though! Never had a nice blast cabinet to play with before, so it is nice. We managed to clean up the air cleaner canister, the prop rod for the hood, and the back deck vents last night. Powder coater is on the way so that will be another cool tool to play with. Kathryn also managed to get new grommets and plugs in the floors before putting down the first layer of foam to even out the floor prior to carpet. We didn't get as far last night as I would have liked, but at least we did make some progress.

I am sending a PM your way, if you would be willing to share some information.

-MH
snowblindburd

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-08-2011 10:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for snowblindburdSend a Private Message to snowblindburdEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yum, sandblaster and powder coating gun. Two of my favorite shop items!
PFF
System Bot
crosshead4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-08-2011 10:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for crosshead4Send a Private Message to crosshead4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It's great to see a 13 yr old interested in cars, most are just typing on their phones.
As to the headlight motors, ive rebuilt a bunch of them and the only way I know of to
get good brushes is to get more old motors and find some that are good. The plastic gears and the brushes are the two
parts that wear out the most.
michhiker28

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-09-2011 08:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for michhiker28Send a Private Message to michhiker28Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks. Yeah, the bumpers in this motor are gone, but the nylon gears are actually still in pretty good shape. We have new bumpers, new gears, but....no new brushes which in this case is what is needed......grrr.......Oh well, we at least still have some time....lol, it's not like the car is off the road because of this.

Anyway, for those of you that are keeping track tomorrow is the official big 13 Birthday, so tomorrow evening Kathryn will be opeing up a lot of new fiero parts from friends and family, and a few on the forum too. We'll make sure to take lots of photos and post them up as well. This will also be the first time that Kathryn has the opportunity to see this thread and realize how many people are following her build and wishing her luck. If you haven't done so yet, please feel free to chime in with happy birthday wishes. She will probably be looking at the thread tomorrow 6/10 at about 6PM EST so you have until then if you would like to send her a happy birthday.

Also, if you would like to visit her personal website she will be seeing that for the first time tomorrow as well, and you can see that at

www.myfiero.webs.com

Thanks to all of you again for your advice, support, and encouragement. I know she is going to love seeing it and being a part of your great group!

--MH
Carcenomy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-09-2011 08:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for CarcenomyClick Here to visit Carcenomy's HomePageSend a Private Message to CarcenomyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Project is coming along fantastically well, it's already looking nicer than either of my Fieros! Happy birthday Kathryn, keep up the good work!
ALJR

Feedback score:    (18)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-09-2011 12:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ALJRSend a Private Message to ALJREdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

and we also started to place the underlayment for the new carpeting.

--MH

May I make a suggestion?
It looks like your using some sort of foam for the underlayment? Wool works 100x's better; as it will last ALLOT longer and will not get moldy if wet...
Richjk21

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-09-2011 07:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Richjk21Send a Private Message to Richjk21Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Thanks. Yeah, the bumpers in this motor are gone, but the nylon gears are actually still in pretty good shape. We have new bumpers, new gears, but....no new brushes which in this case is what is needed......grrr.......Oh well, we at least still have some time....lol, it's not like the car is off the road because of this.

Anyway, for those of you that are keeping track tomorrow is the official big 13 Birthday, so tomorrow evening Kathryn will be opeing up a lot of new fiero parts from friends and family, and a few on the forum too. We'll make sure to take lots of photos and post them up as well. This will also be the first time that Kathryn has the opportunity to see this thread and realize how many people are following her build and wishing her luck. If you haven't done so yet, please feel free to chime in with happy birthday wishes. She will probably be looking at the thread tomorrow 6/10 at about 6PM EST so you have until then if you would like to send her a happy birthday.

Also, if you would like to visit her personal website she will be seeing that for the first time tomorrow as well, and you can see that at

www.myfiero.webs.com

Thanks to all of you again for your advice, support, and encouragement. I know she is going to love seeing it and being a part of your great group!

--MH

First and foremost - Happy Birthday Kathryn!!!

Second as far as the headlight motor brushes - Rodney Dickman used to sell new ones, but no longer does (I think I got the last set he had). In addition to looking for donor motors to scavenge from, there is one other possible source. Some cadillac (91-93) power antenna motors use brushes that are nearly identical. It is talked about in this thread

//www.fiero.nl/forum/A...090219-2-088014.html

Rich
bobrpm

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-09-2011 09:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bobrpmSend a Private Message to bobrpmEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Wow, that's a really nice garage where you're keeping that Fiero. Is that your uncle's garage? You must have the best uncle in the history of uncles. Oh, and the work you're doing to your car is pretty awesome, too. Happy Birthday, Kathryn. We're all very proud of you. Now if I could just get you to do some work to my car.......

-Uncle Bob
americasfuture2k

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 105
Rate this member

Report this Post06-10-2011 03:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for americasfuture2kSend a Private Message to americasfuture2kEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
she is gonna have a badass looking car for highschool. the other kids will be jealous. even the ones driving their new heavy and underpowered sports cars.
michhiker28

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-10-2011 08:11 AM Click Here to See the Profile for michhiker28Send a Private Message to michhiker28Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hey Bob! Good to see you. I'm sure Kathryn will get a good laugh. So today is the day. We'll be opening her presents when she gets home from School today.....hard to believe I have a teenager!!! She is having a VERY Fiero birthday. Lots of new and exciting stuff, brake parts, suspension parts, bearings, Mr Mikes Seats, new carpeting, light kit, custom side scoops, etc, etc, etc. A few other items as well, but 95% Fiero. We'll be taking lots of photos. It is also the day she finds out about her website and this thread. So she will be able to read everything you guys have posted and become apart of the community as well. I'm sure all of your input and ideas will help her to stay fired up, and excited for the project. I'm sure we'll end up working on some of the new items tonight as well :-)

--MH
J-Holland

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-10-2011 08:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for J-HollandSend a Private Message to J-HollandEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
What floors me is the fact that this young lady, is doing this at night and on weekends and, I am going to assume, going to school and keeping up with the rest of her life.

Kathryn, you are one remarkable young lady. To put that much energy into a project day after day and still have that grin of yours is fantastic. Good luck and I want to see the expression on your face after your first drive.

Happy birthday again.
snowblindburd

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-10-2011 10:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for snowblindburdSend a Private Message to snowblindburdEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Happy Birthday Kathryn!
PFF
System Bot
njcwgrl

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-10-2011 11:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for njcwgrlSend a Private Message to njcwgrlEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Happy Birthday Kathryn Nice to see a young lady learning about cars. Keep up the Great work

------------------
Shannon
88 Fiero "Valhalla"

datacop

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-10-2011 11:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for datacopClick Here to visit datacop's HomePageSend a Private Message to datacopEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I just wanted to take a moment to say Happy Birthday Kathryn! Enjoy your 13th birthday, it's the only time where you get to "become" a teenager

The work you're doing on your car is second to none, and your attention to detail is simply amazing! You are part of the "younger" generation, and doing us "old" guys proud
qwikgta

Feedback score:    (21)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 84
Rate this member

Report this Post06-10-2011 12:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for qwikgtaSend a Private Message to qwikgtaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I kept seeing this thread moving to the top with new post's, and could not figure out why, now I know. This is an awesome thread, thanks for starting this. Kathryn, first Happy Birthday, second, keep it up. I have a 13yo daughter and she has no desire to work on cars, and my 9yo son would rather play video games. I hope that when he turns 12-13 I can get him into cars just like you. Again, keep with it, some of what you're going to be doing will not be as fun, but in the end you will learn a valuable skill. My older daughters do not know a thing about cars or getting them fixed, and have had some expensive repair bills. The bad repair shops love to take advantage of folks who don't know what is wrong with their cars.

Rob

------------------

88 Coupe, CJB T-TOP, LS376 and a GT clip
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QAH9yjw6XR0

donnie072003

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-10-2011 03:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for donnie072003Click Here to visit donnie072003's HomePageSend a Private Message to donnie072003Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Happy Birthday Kathryn, you are doing a fantastic job on your little car. My boys don't even do this much work on cars so you have them beat by a long ways. Neither of my daughters have any interest in cars so it is really good to see a young lady so involved with her father on a project such as this. I have been watching this thread since the 1st post by your father and have been very impressed with your progress along the way. Keep up the good work and have a very happy birthday.

[This message has been edited by donnie072003 (edited 06-10-2011).]

ARKaiser

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post06-10-2011 05:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ARKaiserSend a Private Message to ARKaiserEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Happy Birthday young lady. It's great to see your interest. If you ever need any help just let me know - the Capitol City Fiero Club in Lansing is always ready and willing to come to the aid of someone like you. We look forward to you bringing your car to one of our events soon.
Vernon8360

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-11-2011 11:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Vernon8360Send a Private Message to Vernon8360Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Now that you have been 13 for 24 hours how does it feel to be a car owning teenager?
Pete Matos

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-11-2011 11:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Pete MatosSend a Private Message to Pete MatosEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!! Katherine, I am sure you will enjoy the Fiero once it is finished and I am also QUITE sure you will be the envy of all your friends at school when you show up in that nice car that YOU and your DAD built yourselves.... That is just awesome!! I have two young daughters too and my oldest is just nine now. I cannot wait to do this with her too someday. Right now I have the one Fiero and I am getting today another Suzuki samurai project for four wheeling and I think I will let her decide which car she likes better for HER project. I WISH my dad had the desire to show me how to restore a cool car like this and spent the TIME to do it with me like your dad is. BRAVO dad, you cannot fathom the importance of what you are doing here with your daughter, it is something that will last FOREVER in her mind and in each other's hearts.... Keep it up my good man!! peace

Pete

michhiker28

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-13-2011 08:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for michhiker28Send a Private Message to michhiker28Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
WOW!

First, I'd like to thank all of you. It means a lot to a dad to have others take some time out from their busy lives and activities to help his children, and all of you have done just that. We will post some photos soon, probably this evening, but I wish each of you could have been there to see her face as she read your notes and well wishes. She had tears in her eyes as she looked up and wispered, "I'm popular, and I didn't even know it!" She was absolutly amazed that you all took time out to wish her the best, but also to read and follow what she has been up to. It meant more to her than I think you or eveni I will know. You didn't have to take the time to respond back to her, but I want to thank those of you that did. It meant a lot.

Second, we have Kathryn registered for the site, but her approval to post just came through this morning. I am sure that you will be hearing from her in her own voice soon. I know that she is excited to share with you all.

Third, the birthday was fantastic, although I feel old know that I have a teenager...lol! I think that does something to us that our own birthdays do not. Kathryn had a good time with friends and family ( think and hope), and we did manage to get some work done on the car. The Mr. Mikes seats went over a treat, and she as managed to get one recovered already, so one down and one to go. We also got her the Mr. Mike console cover (done) and the firewall cover (done). So she has been cracking on.

Finally, some of you decided to send some things to Kathryn for her birthday. I wanted to publicly thank you. I know that many of you asked for us to not mention your names on the forum so we will honor your wishes, but suffice it to say that EVERYONE that knows Kathryn personally was absolutly blown away by the generosity and kindness exhibited by the members of this forum. You have warmly welcomed and embraced a young girll whom you did not know and given her confidence, advice, encouragement regarding her project. What an amazing place, and an amazing group of people. I am sure that Kathryn will be sending some of you some personal messages with thanks, but from the Dad......THANK YOU!

-MH
whodeanie

Feedback score:    (14)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 120
Rate this member

Report this Post06-13-2011 08:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for whodeanieClick Here to visit whodeanie's HomePageSend a Private Message to whodeanieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Looking good, one safety tip... keep your hair tied back around power tools trust me it hurts!
keep up the great work I look forward to seeing this car on the road soon.
D.
This thread has been moved here: The Construction Zone.
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 44 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18   19   20   21   22   23   24   25   26   27   28   29   30   31   32   33   34   35   36   37   38   39   40   41   42   43   44 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock