Thread Closed  Topic Closed
  Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat
  12 year olds and cars - Kathryn's Fiero (Page 33)

Printable Version

This topic is 44 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18   19   20   21   22   23   24   25   26   27   28   29   30   31   32   33   34   35   36   37   38   39   40   41   42   43   44 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
This thread has been moved here: The Construction Zone.
12 year olds and cars - Kathryn's Fiero by michhiker28
Started on: 04-18-2011 04:37 PM
Replies: 1742 (1027767 views)
Last post by: Cliff Pennock on 02-13-2024 03:58 AM
kathryn

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-03-2013 06:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for kathrynClick Here to visit kathryn's HomePageSend a Private Message to kathrynEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
hello again,
so today the brown santa truck came (UPS) and delivered some more marvelous gifts...such as an awesome shirt, some gloves, and some really cool stickers. however the best part was the exhaust system that took up the rest of the package! that was a part i would have had to buy...or something like that....
but thanks to my friend Tom i got a ton of things that i needed/needed better versions of. Thank you soooo much!!! it means a lot to me and it will be a huge help in my progress!!
i promise some pictures will come soon!!
and this saturday i'll be "working on the car" in a very loose sense. you see i need to clean up our sunroom....that has mysteriously been over-run with car parts....i don't know how that could have happened....
well thank you all
-kathryn
IP: Logged
RWDPLZ

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 303
Rate this member

Report this Post05-03-2013 08:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RWDPLZClick Here to visit RWDPLZ's HomePageSend a Private Message to RWDPLZEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If you leave two parts next to each other for long enough, a third one pops up. From there, they start to multiply exponentially...
crateenginedepot

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-03-2013 08:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for crateenginedepotClick Here to visit crateenginedepot's HomePageSend a Private Message to crateenginedepotEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I figured your dad or uncle might like a few of those stickers for the garage. Or..... you just tease them and not let them have any.

Hope you can make use of everything.
Just glad it went to a good home.
Enjoy
bulldog85043

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-10-2013 12:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for bulldog85043Send a Private Message to bulldog85043Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
<bump>
mwzephyr

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-10-2013 04:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for mwzephyrSend a Private Message to mwzephyrEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Ditto
PD1949

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-10-2013 08:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PD1949Send a Private Message to PD1949Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Kathryn I have an order or request for a bolt person. I know some of these are hard" to put into bolts" so here is the problem. She wants an engineer for her husband. He spends a lot of time doing CAD?CAM etc. Let me know what you come up with. Any ideas from the forum? By the way the little miss has been working on a paper the last few days for school. The reason for the dearth of information. Papa D
MetroMightyMouse

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-14-2013 04:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MetroMightyMouseSend a Private Message to MetroMightyMouseEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If I was designing the figure I would put him on a chair made of much thinner bolts or nails and washers for the seat and seat back, a desk made from a flat piece of steel also on thin bolts or nails and then a piece of angle steel for a laptop computer on the desk.
johnyrottin

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 85
Rate this member

Report this Post05-14-2013 09:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for johnyrottinSend a Private Message to johnyrottinEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Kathrine, just a quick update...still no goal in the mail yet. I'll let you know if it ever shows up.
kathryn

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-16-2013 07:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for kathrynClick Here to visit kathryn's HomePageSend a Private Message to kathrynEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
hey everyone,
sorry for the lack of info...& yeah there's no excuse but i wasn't posting because i had nothing to post about...until now. mwahaha
anyway... i've started (like barely skimming the surface started) the fiberglass work. i've started preparing the pieces to get put together ect.
and i've hunted down some fun products from my friends at 3M. I'll be using the product Panel Bonding Adhesive product # is 08115.
also my engine should be finished by tomorrow (this Friday). and the guy at the shop is going to help me put it back together or at least learn how to / where to start. on the really sunny side of things after i pay for my engine work...i only need to buy paint & other minor things but nothing major. isn't that amazing!!! only one more year....yikes! i'll think about how i can do that engineer
also johnnyrottin you've got a pm.
thank ya all for everything!!! sorry but i only just got these exciting updates to post either yesterday or today.
-kathryn
kathryn

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-19-2013 07:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for kathrynClick Here to visit kathryn's HomePageSend a Private Message to kathrynEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
hello again
sooo i've started adhesive bonding my panels/pieces parts back together...with that amazing adhesive stuff from 3M...it works great!!!!
although i would suggest getting off of yourself before it gets stuck to you permanently....lol
i used the adhesive that i mentioned in my last post...and i'm also using like the "gun" that's kinda like a caulk gun that goes along with the adhesive....it's really easy to use....
also in terms of my engine....
the machining work is finished!!!! on both the block and the crank!!! sooo excited.....which means i'll be able to pick it up from the shop anytime this week!
this also means i'll have a lot of work to do...but that's okay...i like working on my engine! also i've got a bit of sanding to do this week....ugg. but i'm close to being done on the positive side of things (with sanding anyway).
i think i've covered everything...oh! also pictures will be coming soon.
thank you all for everything!
-kathryn
IMSA GT

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 252
Rate this member

Report this Post05-19-2013 07:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IMSA GTSend a Private Message to IMSA GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by kathryn:

.....i used the adhesive that i mentioned in my last post...and i'm also using like the "gun" that's kinda like a caulk gun that goes along with the adhesive....it's really easy to use....
-kathryn

One thing about the 8115 is that you do not have to use their mixing tips. As a matter of fact, the tips seem to waste a lot of the product. You can simply squeeze out an equal amount and mix it with a mixing stick. That way you won't waste 2 full pumps just to fill the mixing tip. Just an idea to help you save some of the adhesive. Great work by the way. Keep it up
PFF
System Bot
johnyrottin

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 85
Rate this member

Report this Post05-20-2013 03:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for johnyrottinSend a Private Message to johnyrottinEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Just rereading the thred. We haven't seen any pictures in some time. What does the car currently look like?
mwzephyr

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-25-2013 03:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mwzephyrSend a Private Message to mwzephyrEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Bump
kathryn

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-26-2013 06:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for kathrynClick Here to visit kathryn's HomePageSend a Private Message to kathrynEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
okay...um pics...i'll try to either get them up this week or have my dad assist with that... i'm not very good at getting them formatted for this site.
also the car still looks pretty much like a frame.....
although...i went and got my tires put on my rims yesterday..and i drove back so that was exciting!!! i really like the way the wheels turned out!! (pics will come promise!!)
i have my engine back and my new pistons are getting put on my old rods....so i'll have those back some time soon as well.
i'll have some sanding to do this week....and maybe some more fiberglass work...we'll just have to see.
Only 9 more days of school for me...then i can really get some stuff done!!!
thank you all, sorry for the long delay in updates!
-kathryn
rbell2915

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-26-2013 07:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rbell2915Send a Private Message to rbell2915Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm looking forward to seeing some pictures! And good luck with finals if you have them, mine are this week and then I'm out of school
kathryn

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-27-2013 09:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for kathrynClick Here to visit kathryn's HomePageSend a Private Message to kathrynEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
hello again,

thanks for the support for exams, i have mine on the 5th 6th and 7th of June...yikes!!!
good luck on yours too!!

i'll try to get some pics up today..if not definitely by tomorrow!!!
-kathryn
Old Lar

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 214
Rate this member

Report this Post05-28-2013 05:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Old LarSend a Private Message to Old LarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I found this on AOL today. Old news. Will Kathryn make it to the 30th show in Indianapolis in June?

http://autos.aol.com/articl...lnk2%26pLid%3D319364
84fiero123

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 325
Rate this member

Report this Post05-29-2013 09:19 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 84fiero123Send a Private Message to 84fiero123Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You go girl, wish my oldest daughter had half your drive and she is 35 now. I don't venture over here much and am going to have to after this, PFF is not just a forum it is a way of life for many here and you will learn a lot here about Fiero's but not only that you will see how a bunch of misfits from all over the world are always willing to lend a hand to anyone in need. I love this place and just about every member here, just about, stay out of Off Topic that's where the arguments happen. But other than that we are all just happy as hell to help each other when it comes to Fiero's and more.

By the way I also have an 86 SE, auto though, can't drive a standard anymore because of my health. Well it is really my handicapped daughter's, she got the keys to her first Fiero back in 02 when I got our 84 2m4. She loves riding around in it and we will always have one.

Good luck and keep up the good work girl, I wish my oldest daughter had half the drive you do.

Steve

------------------
Technology is great when it works,
and one big pain in the ass when it doesn't

Detroit iron rules all the rest are just toys.

mwzephyr

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-29-2013 07:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mwzephyrSend a Private Message to mwzephyrEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Was kind'a hoping to see some engine assembly picks,
if you get the chance...
Thanks. Keep up the good work!
~Zep

[This message has been edited by mwzephyr (edited 05-29-2013).]

gtpheart

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-29-2013 09:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for gtpheartSend a Private Message to gtpheartEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Old Lar:

I found this on AOL today. Old news. Will Kathryn make it to the 30th show in Indianapolis in June?

http://autos.aol.com/articl...lnk2%26pLid%3D319364

Came across this on aol last night as well. Gotta say I'm impressed. Keep up the hard work. I'm hopefully gonna be burried in one soon
kathryn

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-31-2013 07:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for kathrynClick Here to visit kathryn's HomePageSend a Private Message to kathrynEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
hello, will get pics up tomorrow!!!
in the mean time let's get some updates posted shall we?
anyway, all of my welding is done for the car!! i found a small soft-spot though..and other than that the welding is done...a kind of bittersweet feeling over that, you see i love welding...yet i want to get the car done.
also i have gotten a lot of my welding areas seam-sealed thanks to my dad (who actually knows how to use a caulk gun when i don't). lol
also for the fire-resistant, and sound deadening stuff..ya know that's like an 1/8 of an inch thick, and looks kinda like dragon skin? if not don't worry i'll track down pics for that too.
um...i think that just about covers it..i have a bit of wire wheeling to do for some small metal bits, and i'll be working on my doors soon, and a few other things. but especially, sanding, suspension, and the engine cradle stuff.
thanks for your patience and enthusiasm... unfortunately i probably won't be able to make it to the show in June i'm really busy this summer...that's both a good thing and a sad thing....there never seems to be enough time to do all that you want to in the summer.
i really liked that article by the way!! thanks for pointing it out!!
-kathryn
PFF
System Bot
mwzephyr

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-04-2013 07:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mwzephyrSend a Private Message to mwzephyrEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Well,
Have a great summer, and update us when you have time.
~Zep
Wild Horse

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-12-2013 09:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Wild HorseSend a Private Message to Wild HorseEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I check in daily hoping for word, possibly for pictures....

For now....

Bump
dwc309

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-14-2013 10:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for dwc309Send a Private Message to dwc309Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Things went faster when I was reading from the first post to here. Enjoy your summer Kathryn.

bump
hershy314

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-17-2013 03:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for hershy314Click Here to visit hershy314's HomePageSend a Private Message to hershy314Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I was bored so I thought I would make a mock up of what a website for this build would look like. Thought it would be something nice to look at until we get more progress pics of the build.
http://hershy314.deviantart...Fireo-Site-378560227
Shoshe

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-18-2013 09:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ShosheSend a Private Message to ShosheEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
((chirp chirp)) ((chirp chirp)) BUMP
85SEnochie

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 58
Rate this member

Report this Post06-18-2013 12:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 85SEnochieSend a Private Message to 85SEnochieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Here is a cool looking Black yellow Fiero over on Facebook Might help to inspire you to finish that sanding Uggg! You are doing This is Adam Hall's

https://www.facebook.com/groups/truefierofans/
------------------

Love The Excitement! //www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum1/HTML/068738.html

[This message has been edited by 85SEnochie (edited 06-18-2013).]

kathryn

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-18-2013 01:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for kathrynClick Here to visit kathryn's HomePageSend a Private Message to kathrynEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
okay um...right after i posted that "i promise" about the pictures...we realized the camera had been abandoned at my uncle's
so. i am pleased to inform you all that the camera has returned.
picture will be put up this evening or tomorrow. and speaking of sanding i think i've only got like 1 or 2 more pieces left to go!!!
sorry i'm just really happy about that.
-kathryn
85SEnochie

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 58
Rate this member

Report this Post06-18-2013 01:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 85SEnochieSend a Private Message to 85SEnochieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by kathryn:

okay um...right after i posted that "i promise" about the pictures...we realized the camera had been abandoned at my uncle's
so. i am pleased to inform you all that the camera has returned.
picture will be put up this evening or tomorrow. and speaking of sanding i think i've only got like 1 or 2 more pieces left to go!!!
sorry i'm just really happy about that.
-kathryn

And we are really happy for you! You are amazing!

------------------

Love The Excitement! //www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum1/HTML/068738.html

Spoon

Feedback score:    (16)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 61
Rate this member

Report this Post06-18-2013 11:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SpoonSend a Private Message to SpoonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Kathryn, you are amazing. I stumbled across a youtube of your work. It may already be posted here but just in case.....

http://youtu.be/9vZpNQUIqIg

Spoon

------------------
"Kilgore Trout once wrote a short story which was a dialogue between two pieces of yeast. They were discussing the possible purposes of life as they ate sugar and suffocated in their own excrement. Because of their limited intelligence, they never came close to guessing that they were making champagne." - Kurt Vonnegut

mwzephyr

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-19-2013 09:07 AM Click Here to See the Profile for mwzephyrSend a Private Message to mwzephyrEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Glad to hear from you. Glad you got your camera back. Hope to see pictures of the engine soon.
Thanks and good luck.
~Zep
PFF
System Bot
Jatwaa21

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-20-2013 01:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Jatwaa21Send a Private Message to Jatwaa21Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Just read\watched the video via Jalopnik, I am very impressed. Pretty awesome work. Can't wait for the update. Just inspired me to get off my lazy duff and start working on my 86 again, lol
R Runner

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 98
Rate this member

Report this Post06-20-2013 01:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for R RunnerSend a Private Message to R RunnerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Kathryn...

What a great project! I am hoping that in the near future my girls will want to do something like what you have done. This is such a great learning experience not only for the technical aspects of the car but also in project management. I too have built vehicles from the ground up and to do so at your age shows good insight and vision. The one thing I learned from my IMSA build (and it looks like you are learning this too based on the attention your story is getting...) is personal relationship with others. When I started my project I thought that my goal was to build a car. What I found was that a car is a piece of steel. It is the people you meet along the way and the lessons learned from these people that make the project valuable. Naturally the car is fun and satisfying, but it is the icing on the cake.

It may sound odd to you, but your project is inspiring.

As you know, there is a whole community behind you and cheering you on. Keep up the good work!

------------------
Paul

My IMSA Build: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/789315
HHP Adjustable Sway Bars: //www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum4/HTML/036556.html

jimlong67

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-21-2013 02:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jimlong67Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Kathryn
How are you set for headlight Motors? I have a 2nd gen headlight motor conversion setup, both motors rebuilt and look like new with stickers, Top knobs like new, wiring harness and control module. I was going to convert my 86 but figured if mine aren't broken why fix it. also at my age I am in bed before it gets dark. They are yours if you want them.
PM me your address and they will be on their way.
You are an AWESOME young lady.
Happy Birthday
Jim

------------------
When I read about the evils of drinking.
I gave up reading.
2004 White Sebring Convertible
1986 Black Fiero GT
Kathryn's Welded Metal Artist

[This message has been edited by jimlong67 (edited 06-24-2013).]

Wild Horse

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-23-2013 03:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Wild HorseEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
While waiting for pictures and updates, we all managed to miss a birthday... A little late but Happy Birthday Kathryn
mwzephyr

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-24-2013 09:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for mwzephyrEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Kathryn,
Happy belated birthday.
Hope it was fun!
~Zep
bulldog85043

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-26-2013 12:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for bulldog85043Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Wild Horse:

While waiting for pictures and updates, we all managed to miss a birthday... A little late but Happy Birthday Kathryn

Well, DARN! Happy Birthday Kathryn!
4186Nb

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-26-2013 01:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 4186NbEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Sorry I missed it. College is finally over - and I received Academic Awards, so all the time spent finally paid off!

Happy Birthday Kathryn, I hope it was happy, and I wish you many many more. God Bless
montage

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-28-2013 10:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for montageEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I teach the Women in Engineering Program for the Materials Science and Engineering department at Michigan Technological University. As we began a project I noticed one of the young ladies who looked very familiar...finally I asked her if we had ever met, she said no, then said she works on cars....Bingo.....I exclaimed your working on a Fiero.....I couldn't believe it was Kathryn....got to meet this fantastic lady. I gave her a high five and all the other girls looked at us funny. What a small world! Dad I'm sure you are very proud who wouldn't be! It was a pleasure meeting you....good luck with the car and your future. If you need any materials advice (or any other if I can help) don't hesitate to ask.
92wastheyear

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-29-2013 11:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 92wastheyearEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I drove my Fiero to work yesterday. I was chatting with a co-worker (not a Fiero guy...just a car guy) about the car, when out of the blue, he mentioned hearing about this girl who was re-building a Fiero. It didn't take long to realize he was talking about Katherine. Her story is genuinely making the rounds!
This thread has been moved here: The Construction Zone.
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 44 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18   19   20   21   22   23   24   25   26   27   28   29   30   31   32   33   34   35   36   37   38   39   40   41   42   43   44 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock