Thread Closed  Topic Closed
  Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat
  12 year olds and cars - Kathryn's Fiero (Page 27)

Printable Version

This topic is 44 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18   19   20   21   22   23   24   25   26   27   28   29   30   31   32   33   34   35   36   37   38   39   40   41   42   43   44 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
This thread has been moved here: The Construction Zone.
12 year olds and cars - Kathryn's Fiero by michhiker28
Started on: 04-18-2011 04:37 PM
Replies: 1742 (1027767 views)
Last post by: Cliff Pennock on 02-13-2024 03:58 AM
mwzephyr

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-23-2012 06:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mwzephyrSend a Private Message to mwzephyrEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
While you are at it, are you going with forged connector rods?
IP: Logged
mcguiver3

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-23-2012 07:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mcguiver3Send a Private Message to mcguiver3Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Ditto on the clearance for high lift cam and the rockers.
I had to grind down the interior of my valve covers in a few spots to provide the
smidgeon of clearance needed. You could see the spots where the rockers were hitting the underside of the covers.
Just took the Dremmel and voila no more ticking.
The cam should be OK with the stock ECU. I think the vacuum issue is critical if the cam were a higher lift/duration unit.
fierofool

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post12-23-2012 07:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Look into installing a 7730 ECM, digital EGR, knock and crankshaft sensors. It will make the engine much more driveable.
michhiker28

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-23-2012 08:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for michhiker28Send a Private Message to michhiker28Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by California Kid:

Noticed you don't have valve springs listed, personally I'd replace them with Comp Cams Springs @ the lb. rating that's recommended for the cam. That way you'd be assured to get the most out of the cam (also confirm stock retainers will work with new springs). Add some high quality valve stem seals while you have head down, and new timing chain to drive cam.

Thanks. The cam kit she is looking at includes new lifters, timing gears and chain, springs, retainers, etc. we are also going with a good set of valve seals.

What do you think of the choices so far?

-MH
California Kid

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 274
Rate this member

Report this Post12-23-2012 09:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for California KidSend a Private Message to California KidEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by michhiker28:

Thanks. The cam kit she is looking at includes new lifters, timing gears and chain, springs, retainers, etc. we are also going with a good set of valve seals.

What do you think of the choices so far?

-MH

Looks good, to take full advantage of that setup, you need to smooth out the flow of the exhaust (ie replace stock exhaust manifolds, eliminate/improve CAT, pick a high flow muffler that sounds good (some of the V6 guys need to pop in on this one). As noted by a couple above, you need to make sure you have rocker clearance to valve covers, the increase ratio is going to make clearance a lot tighter.

While I wouldn't expect it to "loop" too much, it's certainly going to sound a lot healthier, and be more fun to drive.

I know your not building a race engine, but it would be a good time to look for any alignment mis-match, casting flash obstructions in the intake system. For blind areas, use some child's clay bar flatted to a thin sheet, and place between mating parts to check alignment (in some areas you may want to take a pencil grinder and remove an obstruction).

[This message has been edited by California Kid (edited 12-23-2012).]

Capt Fiero

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 260
Rate this member

Report this Post12-23-2012 09:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Capt FieroClick Here to visit Capt Fiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to Capt FieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The Cam and Rocker setup is perfect. Its the cam I should have went with when I did my first 2.9 swap, I ended up moving from the 1.52 Roller to a 1.60 roller tip rocker to get my cam up to that lift level.

The one thing I would really recommend is comp cams lifters part number 858-16 (which is the V8 part number, I am assuming 858-12 would be the V6) They are amazing. They are a fast bleed lifter at low rpm use they bleed down enough to give you the effect of a much milder cam, however as RPM increases they pump up full and give you the full benefit of the high lift cam. This really helps with low rpm torque and fuel economy

The exact cam I used is http://captfiero.com/camspec.html as a matter of fact check out http://captfiero.com/captfiero.html there is a ton of useful engine build info on their. When I did my first 2.9 assembly. (no not a typo, 2.8 bored out to 2.9) I kept track of and posted all the hard to find info on my server. The motor was great, and would have lasted many years longer if I had not used as much nitrous as I did.

One of the things I regret not doing was running the gapless rings, I have heard good things about them. I ran with the Chrome-Moly rings which I was told would outlast the engine. (well that was until the nitrous shattered all the compression rings due to abuse by me)

Also the Hypereutectic pistons are Great as they are lighter than the OEM or Forged Pistons which makes the engine spin up faster and runs smoother.

------------------
857GT Part 85GT Part 87GT Part Caddy, 93 Eldorado 4.9, 5spd Dual O2 Custom Chip, Custom Exhaust. MSD Everything Now with Nitrous. Capt Fiero --- My Over View Cadero Pics Yellow 88GT 5spd Full Poly Suspension, Lowered 1/2" in front, Corner Carver.

kathryn

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-24-2012 05:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for kathrynClick Here to visit kathryn's HomePageSend a Private Message to kathrynEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
wow.
I turn my back for approx. a week and the thread explodes with info. typical.
thank you all though i'll have to keep checking back in for reference!
I just got on to catch up on what everyone was saying...which means i read about 2 pages worth...lol
Thank you all again for your support and for the continuing help and interest!!!
Merry Christmas everyone!!!....well tomorrow anyway!
-kathryn
Wild Horse

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-25-2012 06:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Wild HorseSend a Private Message to Wild HorseEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Merry Christmas to all
That follow this great lady

To Katheryn and Dad, Mom, Sis and Uncle Bob
Allowing me a glimpse into your life with this project has by far been the biggest blessing I have received this year. I wait in anticipation of what the next step will bring and watch as the star of this program grows into what will certainly be a successful young woman.

I send to you, my prayers, my thoughts
for you have honored me, not just for a day, but for my life
by being a new part, a new inspiration

Christmas they claim is about gifts and the such, along with Family and the Creator
You have given the gift of sharing your lives with a group of total strangers

It has been said, it's not what you receive.. It is what you give

Thank you for all you give

------------------
Here to support Kathryn's Fiero, You inspire us all

michhiker28

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-26-2012 09:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for michhiker28Send a Private Message to michhiker28Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Kathryn had shared that she was busy working on Christmas gifts recently, so I thought I would post a couple of photos. Once some people saw them they even placed some orders so she made a couple of hundred dollars making things this year...it will be going into her engine...lol!

-MH

So she made golfers, artists, book readers, a diver, a soldier, an archer, a physical therapist, a motorcycle, etc. She also made some coat racks and candle sticks. Kinda fun times.

-MH
michhiker28

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-26-2012 09:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for michhiker28Send a Private Message to michhiker28Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

michhiker28

313 posts
Member since Apr 2011
Here are a few more of Kathryn's Kreations.

and here is the gift she made for Uncle Bob, a coat rack to look like a deer...made out of horseshoes. Her creation...lol

Tomorrow the block goes to the machine shop AND we probably are ordering some fun pieces from Summit.

-MH

[This message has been edited by michhiker28 (edited 12-26-2012).]

MiseryLou

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-26-2012 09:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MiseryLouClick Here to visit MiseryLou's HomePageSend a Private Message to MiseryLouEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Those are amazing! Kathryn, you continue to be more impressive every day. I completely believe that you will do ANYTHING you decide to do.
PFF
System Bot
MadMark

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-26-2012 10:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MadMarkSend a Private Message to MadMarkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Mechanically adept and artistic too. Wow, good on you Kathryn.
carnut122

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 83
Rate this member

Report this Post12-26-2012 11:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for carnut122Send a Private Message to carnut122Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I've always wanted to make some scrap metal sculptures. I guess I have no more excuses. Nice work!
johnyrottin

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 85
Rate this member

Report this Post12-27-2012 12:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for johnyrottinSend a Private Message to johnyrottinEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Kathryn, do you think you can make some Lacrosse players?
kathryn

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-28-2012 11:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for kathrynClick Here to visit kathryn's HomePageSend a Private Message to kathrynEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hey everyone,
johnyrottin; if you're seriously interested i could probably come up with some lacrosse players.....
anyway in terms of updates we took the engine down to the shop yesterday. as i originally thought from my numbers i am boring the cylinders by .030. yay. however the shop is here in town so it's not too far away as a bonus.
Thank you though everyone for the continued support and for being so enthusiastic!!
-kathryn
johnyrottin

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-28-2012 12:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for johnyrottinSend a Private Message to johnyrottinEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yes, I am seriously interested...my son plays attackman and my daughter plays goalie. I am sure you could find some pics on Google to show you some poses of both. In fact, I may even be interested in giving some as gifts! I would be proud to own and give a Kathryn original as well as add to your funds for your Fiero! Try coming up with
prices on:

male: attackman, defenseman and goalie
female; attackwoman, defensewoman and goalie
kathryn

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-28-2012 09:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for kathrynClick Here to visit kathryn's HomePageSend a Private Message to kathrynEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
johnyrottin you have a pm.
Tony Kania

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 305
User Banned

Report this Post12-28-2012 10:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Tony KaniaSend a Private Message to Tony KaniaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
So gifted. I hear that the job of President of the United States will be available at some point in your lifetime Kathryn.
Dinan E93

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-29-2012 12:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Dinan E93Send a Private Message to Dinan E93Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Kathryn - when I was your age, I elected to take a wood shop class and learned that I had an aptitude for making 'things' out of wood (furniture, tables, and wood bowls). Over the years I have made most of the furniture for my home including all of the picture frames as well as the photos for the frames...

Many people have often asked me to make 'things' for them as well as asked for my photos for their homes. I tell you this because you seem to have a true acumen for art and I encourage you to continue to explore this talent. At some point in the future, this very well could become a business venture...
kathryn

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-29-2012 11:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for kathrynClick Here to visit kathryn's HomePageSend a Private Message to kathrynEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
hello again
I don't really have any more updates because i haven't heard back from the shop....but yeah i have now made a fisherman and quilter for my grandma. And no, there is no way i am becoming president of the U.S.A.
thank you though
Also thank you all for your support and for giving ideas and feedback!!
-kathryn
Oramac

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-31-2012 08:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for OramacSend a Private Message to OramacEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Dinan E93:At some point in the future, this very well could become a business venture...

She's selling them now to buy car parts. I'd say it already is a business venture! Keep up the good work Kathryn!
PFF
System Bot
mrfred8

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-31-2012 10:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for mrfred8Click Here to visit mrfred8's HomePageSend a Private Message to mrfred8Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Jalopnik made Kathryn's story one of the top 12 of 2012

http://jalopnik.com/5972122...est-features-of-2012

------------------
--Jeff aka mrfred8 aka (Hat tip to Mr. J. Jones!)
http://jalopnik.com/5901950...or-her-sweet-sixteen
- 88 Yellow GT
- 86 Silver SE

[This message has been edited by mrfred8 (edited 12-31-2012).]

michhiker28

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-31-2012 10:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for michhiker28Send a Private Message to michhiker28Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for the heads up Mr Fred! I'll post some of the latest creations this evening.

-MH
mrvids

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-01-2013 02:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mrvidsSend a Private Message to mrvidsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Was this article posted already? It was linked to the Hemmings website.
http://blog.makezine.com/20...th-fieros-interview/
When she runs for President I'd like Cory Booker to be her VP as he isn't afraid to get his hands dirty either.

[This message has been edited by mrvids (edited 01-01-2013).]

michhiker28

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-01-2013 06:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for michhiker28Send a Private Message to michhiker28Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
As promised, here are her recent creations:

Here is the fisherman

a quilter

The soldier she made for her little brother

the archer for her sister

and candlesticks...you'll notice in the bottoms are nickles, one is the persons year of birth, and one was 2012 for Christmas. She had fun finding the buffalo nickels for her great aunts.

-MH

michhiker28

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-01-2013 08:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for michhiker28Send a Private Message to michhiker28Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

michhiker28

313 posts
Member since Apr 2011
Kathryn also opened an etsy shop for custom creations, so if you know anyone interested in custom creations to help fund her project, please send them on
http://www.etsy.com/shop/KN...search_shop_redirect

-MH
fierofool

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post01-01-2013 09:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Nice work. Just be sure she doesn't use bolts from the Fiero. We all want to see this thing back together.
bulldog85043

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-01-2013 10:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bulldog85043Send a Private Message to bulldog85043Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fierofool:

Nice work. Just be sure she doesn't use bolts from the Fiero. We all want to see this thing back together.

LOLZ! What successful project have you ever heard of that DOESN'T have parts left over
mwzephyr

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-02-2013 09:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for mwzephyrSend a Private Message to mwzephyrEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The trunk of a car was made for the 'extra' parts left over...
Never know when you might discover where they go...LOL

~Zep
Mr_Daihatsu

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-02-2013 10:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Mr_DaihatsuClick Here to visit Mr_Daihatsu's HomePageSend a Private Message to Mr_DaihatsuEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Congratulations! An Amazing story start a roundtrip around the world.

Today I hear the first time from Kathryn's story.

It's a story within a classic car magazin where they recommend her for the "mechanic of the year".

here is the weblink to this story: http://www.autobild.de/klas...es-2012-3758331.html

All the best to Kathryn and her family, and please hold on, make your own way!
mwzephyr

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-02-2013 11:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for mwzephyrSend a Private Message to mwzephyrEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
There has to be a movie in this somewhere...
Mechanic of the year! Cool
~Zep
PFF
System Bot
jimlong67

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-02-2013 03:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jimlong67Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I was lucky to buy one of her creations, the Welded Metal Artist. Great to be able to help her out on her project.

------------------
He who dies with the most toys wins.
2004 White Sebring Convertible
1986 Black Fiero GT

michhiker28

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-03-2013 08:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for michhiker28Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks Jim, and I'm sure you will hear from Kathryn too. She will wrap it up and get it in the mail to you tonight

-MH
carnut122

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 83
Rate this member

Report this Post01-03-2013 04:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for carnut122Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Mr_Daihatsu:

Congratulations! An Amazing story start a roundtrip around the world.

Today I hear the first time from Kathryn's story.

It's a story within a classic car magazin where they recommend her for the "mechanic of the year".

here is the weblink to this story: http://www.autobild.de/klas...es-2012-3758331.html

All the best to Kathryn and her family, and please hold on, make your own way!

How cool is that! OBTW, those welds are looking really good!
michhiker28

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-04-2013 09:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for michhiker28Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Well, since we are waiting to hear back from the engine shop on the block, Kathryn decided to keep working on statues. She sold 2 figurines yesterday, so she went out to do some welding last night. She also had a friend over who wanted to learn what she did as well, so she taught a welding lesson last night as well...lol Fun stuff. Here are a couple of the photos:

and these were the results of her efforts last night. Then they got cleaned up, clear coated and ready to go out in the mail!

-MH
mwzephyr

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-04-2013 02:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mwzephyrEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Nice to see her friend taking an interest!
kathryn

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-04-2013 07:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for kathrynClick Here to visit kathryn's HomePageEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
hey everyone,
thank you for all the encouragement and support!!!
I hope that you all had a nice holiday break!!! good luck with what you all are doing too
I just posted to say that i got another order on Etsy and it's another artist....one that i didn't think would be all that popular but i guess people still surprise me!!
-kathryn
p.s. good luck on all of your creations....i'd be interested to hear new ideas, feedback, or suggest on other mini people!!!
Sage

Feedback score:    (14)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 69
Rate this member

Report this Post01-04-2013 08:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SageSend a Private Message to SageEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You are a very creative, industrious, artistic type young lady! Since the cap nuts you are using for the heads on your sculptures kinda almost look like helmets already, how about some military type sculptures as a tribute to all our soldiers, past, present and future? The flag raising on the island comes to mind and maybe just some routine everyday duty poses. Just a thought yaknow!

You are destined for greatness at whatever level you seek it, don't let up and never let anything get you down...at least not for very long!

Keep up the great work.

HAGO!
Carcenomy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-05-2013 07:07 AM Click Here to See the Profile for CarcenomyClick Here to visit Carcenomy's HomePageSend a Private Message to CarcenomyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by michhiker28:

Woah! From that angle it almost didn't look like a golfer and an artist but a dude attacking a riot cop with a shield.

Your metal sculptures are pretty awesome Kathryn, I might even grab one when that greedy little red car in the garage isn't eating all my expendable income!
johnyrottin

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-05-2013 08:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for johnyrottinSend a Private Message to johnyrottinEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
My son is a lacrosse attackman and was the leading scorer for his team last season. My daughter is a goalie for both boys and girls teams. Let's start with one of each of them! And maybe you can make a goal to go with the goalie! I'll pm you an address. I'll need an address to send a check or a payal address to pay. I tried to find some goos stance photos.

This thread has been moved here: The Construction Zone.
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 44 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18   19   20   21   22   23   24   25   26   27   28   29   30   31   32   33   34   35   36   37   38   39   40   41   42   43   44 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock