Thread Closed  Topic Closed
  Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat
  12 year olds and cars - Kathryn's Fiero (Page 26)

Printable Version

This topic is 44 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18   19   20   21   22   23   24   25   26   27   28   29   30   31   32   33   34   35   36   37   38   39   40   41   42   43   44 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
This thread has been moved here: The Construction Zone.
12 year olds and cars - Kathryn's Fiero by michhiker28
Started on: 04-18-2011 04:37 PM
Replies: 1742 (1027767 views)
Last post by: Cliff Pennock on 02-13-2024 03:58 AM
mrvids

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-09-2012 09:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mrvidsSend a Private Message to mrvidsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The Kettering University students in the SAE programs have jobs before they graduate since the hiring companies know what goes into the SAE program. While you might see the cars running on a slolom track, or seeing how fast they stop, everyone also has to know what goes into the car, and what costs were to build it, and to replicate it on a larger scale.
With Kathryn's hands on experience she is way ahead of the SAE game.
IP: Logged
RWDPLZ

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 303
Rate this member

Report this Post12-10-2012 12:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RWDPLZClick Here to visit RWDPLZ's HomePageSend a Private Message to RWDPLZEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If I had it to do over again, I wish I would have gone to Kettering, and gotten a BSEE. For God's sake, don't go to Michigan Tech.
michhiker28

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-10-2012 08:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for michhiker28Send a Private Message to michhiker28Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by RWDPLZ:

If I had it to do over again, I wish I would have gone to Kettering, and gotten a BSEE. For God's sake, don't go to Michigan Tech.

RWDPLZ,
I'm curious and I'm sure Kathryn is too on why you say that about Tech. Tech and Akron as well as Kettering are on her list. So I'm sure she would love to hear some feedback. Of course, right now she still has MIT as her 1st choice (oh my aching wallet!)

-MH
RWDPLZ

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 303
Rate this member

Report this Post12-10-2012 10:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RWDPLZClick Here to visit RWDPLZ's HomePageSend a Private Message to RWDPLZEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I got my BSMET at Tech, spent 2.5 years there. Calling the staff incompetent would be putting it lightly, the professors are poor teachers, and even poorer test writers. If you want to pass a class, you need to study the material yourself and get classmates to help you. Their idea of teaching is typically choosing a textbook (IF they choose a textbook), going through it and taking notes highlighting major points, turning those notes into a powerpoint presentation, and spending the class period reading the powerpoint. Many will have you hold questions until th eend, and their answers are typically 'see section ___' I had one professor who would not give us the answers to homework problems, because he was afraid they would be posted online somewhere, so the only way to figure out if you did a question properly was for the whole class to get together when he wasn't around, and compare what we had done, there was usually a whole correct paper as a result. Often they would also hand back exams long enough to see which ones you got wrong, before snatching them back, which doesn't help at all with studying for finals.

The administration is also quite transparent about their moneygrubbing. They charge as much as they can get away with for whatever they can, and you should feel honored and privileged to be attending THEIR school. They shove 3 or 4 people into a dorm room barely big enough for 2, with shared community bathroom facilities. Power outages were frequent, as were false fire alarms. First year students are required to live on campus, and required to purchase a meal plan, roughly $10,000 a semester before tuition and books. The weather is extremely harsh, there's typically 2 feet of snow on the ground November - April, sometimes May. Average temperature in the winter is 20, and did get as cold as -20 before wind chill. The roads are hilly and sometimes impassible, even with a lifted 4x4 truck. Looks pretty mild right now, probably because of the record highs we've had this year:

http://www.mtu.edu/webcams/#

With the Kettering model, you work at a company while attending school, which is a big plus to HR people on a resume, because they know you have some experience in a corporate environment. Getting a co-op or an internship at a conventional school is extremely difficult because of the competition involved, where they have their choice of the best, of the best, of the best. Entry-level employers often do look at GPA, too, minimum 3.0, typically 3.5 or above, which one or two bad professors can really screw up.
Oramac

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-10-2012 10:43 AM Click Here to See the Profile for OramacSend a Private Message to OramacEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I looked very hard at Kettering as well. Sadly, I couldn't afford out-of-state tuition (I live in Missouri). Ended up going to University of Central Missouri, which has a great 4 year automotive program.

That said, if I'd been able to afford it, I'd have gone to Kettering in a heartbeat. Went up there to visit once and was EXTREMELY impressed.
THosmedic

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-11-2012 04:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for THosmedicSend a Private Message to THosmedicEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have enjoyed reading this forum and all the updates to the project. I have to say that I agree with a lot of the posts that Kathryn is much wiser than her years. I hope my daughters turn out the same way she is. I can say also that this community online is one of the best I have seen. 99.9% of all posts are for encouragement if not assistance. I work as a safety officer and I can say that her attention to safety, thanks to her father and others, is better than most grown men that I work around. I wish Kathryn luck with her project and everyone else with theirs. I wish all a very Merry Christmas.

kathryn

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-12-2012 03:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for kathrynClick Here to visit kathryn's HomePageSend a Private Message to kathrynEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hey everyone,
um....where to start. Thank you for the info on different places like Mich. Tech and Kettering. Also thank you for your continued support!!!
I will have a lot to up date once christmas is over....promise, i just can't put some stuff up because of christmas presents and some people who read this thread
Merry Christmas, and Happy Holidays!!!
-kathryn
TWright

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-12-2012 06:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TWrightSend a Private Message to TWrightEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I went to Kettering a looooonnnngggg time ago: It was so long ago, it was called GMI!

I have very mixed emotions about my time there: They gave me a great education, with a lot of practical work experience that has served me well for my whole career.

The downsides: It was in Flint. It was very hard and all I did was study and go to class.
mrvids

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-12-2012 10:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mrvidsSend a Private Message to mrvidsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The tuition at Kettering for 4 1/2 years is around $150K. I don't know how much you can earn during the co-op but you can change your co-op company once a year if you wanted to. A lot of people who graduate from KU end up working for that co-op company, and there isn't much lag time to find a job if any. Plus when you leave you have job experience and contacts under your belt.

That being said, there aren't any students that I know of that built & drive their resume like Kathryn will.
bulldog85043

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-13-2012 12:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for bulldog85043Send a Private Message to bulldog85043Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by mrvids:

That being said, there aren't any students that I know of that built & drive their resume like Kathryn will.

I can see it now. She walks in for the interview and plops down the binder documenting this build. After a beat the interviewer's jaw just drops.

Cost: Priceless
michhiker28

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-13-2012 07:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for michhiker28Send a Private Message to michhiker28Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by bulldog85043:
I can see it now. She walks in for the interview and plops down the binder documenting this build. After a beat the interviewer's jaw just drops.

Cost: Priceless

Thanks to a lot of help from the folks here!

-MH

PFF
System Bot
Wild Horse

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-15-2012 04:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Wild HorseSend a Private Message to Wild HorseEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Bump
ALJR

Feedback score:    (18)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-15-2012 09:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ALJRSend a Private Message to ALJREdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by michhiker28:

RWDPLZ,
I'm curious and I'm sure Kathryn is too on why you say that about Tech. Tech and Akron as well as Kettering are on her list. So I'm sure she would love to hear some feedback. Of course, right now she still has MIT as her 1st choice (oh my aching wallet!)

-MH

MA has some really good engineering schools; MIT being most notably know. But there is also Northeaster, Worcester Polytechnic Institute, Wentworth Institute of Technology (where I went) and a few others...
Bruce

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-15-2012 09:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BruceSend a Private Message to BruceEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Schools such as these do not turn away qualified students who have legitimate financial need (who doesn't, when tuition typically costs about $40,000 per year?).
Make sure that you investigate all scholarship opportunities (college grants, church aid, fraternal orders, and anything you can think of).
As a former college professor at an elite institution, I can vouch for the support that the financial aid offers exemplary students. State schools often tend to be a different matter, so I always urge prospective students not to shy away from the ostensible "price tag."
Also, I am certain that any number of people, both from your community and the Fiero owners, will be glad to write glowing letters of recommendations for you.
Best Holiday Wishes,
bb
Vernon8360

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-15-2012 11:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Vernon8360Send a Private Message to Vernon8360Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Bruce:

Schools such as these do not turn away qualified students who have legitimate financial need (who doesn't, when tuition typically costs about $40,000 per year?).
Make sure that you investigate all scholarship opportunities (college grants, church aid, fraternal orders, and anything you can think of).
As a former college professor at an elite institution, I can vouch for the support that the financial aid offers exemplary students. State schools often tend to be a different matter, so I always urge prospective students not to shy away from the ostensible "price tag."
Also, I am certain that any number of people, both from your community and the Fiero owners, will be glad to write glowing letters of recommendations for you.
Best Holiday Wishes,
bb

Excellent advice. The last thing to consider is the price tag. If you are accepted at an expensive place and the financial package they offer isn't up to snuff, speak up. More often than not they will sweeten the deal. Remember, you can always say "no thank you". There is no reason not to go after your dream school. Keep up the good work.
Merry Christmas

------------------
1988 GT
Medium Red Metallic
Manual, Gray Leather
K Beck LEDs & StuWipes

mwzephyr

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-16-2012 02:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mwzephyrSend a Private Message to mwzephyrEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Kathryn,

apply for the scholarships and grants. It cannot hurt.

Best wishes for your future.
Merry Christmas

~Zep

[This message has been edited by mwzephyr (edited 12-17-2012).]

michhiker28

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-18-2012 03:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for michhiker28Send a Private Message to michhiker28Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Fun question for everyone...if you were going to pick out a set of wheels for a black bad yellow fiero....let's call them 17", what would you pick....please post images and or links...We need some input!

-MH
fierofool

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post12-18-2012 03:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Kathryn already has a picture of this one, but for everyone else:

This wheel is no longer available, but there are very similar styles and colors out there.
Wild Horse

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-18-2012 03:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Wild HorseSend a Private Message to Wild HorseEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I looked on http://Tirerack.com and found this wheel, it is 16 inch (their guide says 14, 15 and 16 will fit the Bumble Bee)

it holds a 205/55-16 tire

I can't get the direct URL to work correctly for you

[This message has been edited by Wild Horse (edited 12-18-2012).]

mkiker2089

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-18-2012 04:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mkiker2089Send a Private Message to mkiker2089Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Would Kat want black wheels or metallic ones. I'm partial to brushed aluminum myself. I'd prefer 16s as well but that's because I'm old fashioned.

[This message has been edited by mkiker2089 (edited 12-18-2012).]

michhiker28

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-18-2012 04:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for michhiker28Send a Private Message to michhiker28Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
We'll have to see...just getting opinions right now....then she can decide.

-MH
PFF
System Bot
California Kid

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 274
Rate this member

Report this Post12-18-2012 05:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for California KidSend a Private Message to California KidEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
ASA AR1 17 inch black, you can get them in silver as well, available in 7 or 8 inch wide, recommend 7 in front, as the 8 would be pushing it.

My car with 17x8 all around, 215 45's up front, 245 45's rear, car lowered approx. 1 1/2 inch:

Picked mine up through Tire Rack with some sticky tires mounted to them, best to shop around for price.

Do not go larger than 17 for Michigan roads, also no less than 45 series tires (will be a brutal ride with 18's and 40 series rubber).

------------------

Car History: //www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum1/HTML/025670.html

[This message has been edited by California Kid (edited 12-18-2012).]

michhiker28

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-19-2012 10:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for michhiker28Send a Private Message to michhiker28Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks Kid, she liked those alot!
87antuzzi

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 228
Rate this member

Report this Post12-19-2012 11:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 87antuzziSend a Private Message to 87antuzziEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I forgot who but someone makes CX506's and CX501's in 17's I always thought they would look sharp color matched to the body color on a Fiero.
CX506

CX501

[This message has been edited by 87antuzzi (edited 12-19-2012).]

California Kid

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-19-2012 03:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for California KidSend a Private Message to California KidEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Thanks Kid, she liked those alot!

They are a pretty good choice for what's available out there. I was surprised just how light weight they were with the BFG G-Force tires, which is also something you should consider as is results in lower rotating mass, better fuel economy.

mwzephyr

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-19-2012 05:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mwzephyrSend a Private Message to mwzephyrEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have an opinion but no pictures... the wheels should either jump out and make a statement, or blend in and be subtle, supporting the work of art car... I go for the latter. Cool but not showy.

~Zep
mkiker2089

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-19-2012 06:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mkiker2089Send a Private Message to mkiker2089Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I know some people increase final diameter to better fill the wheel well but others say its to detrimental to the suspension and drive train. It also effects the speedo.

If one did go with 17s what tire size would be best?
California Kid

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-19-2012 08:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for California KidSend a Private Message to California KidEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by mkiker2089:

I know some people increase final diameter to better fill the wheel well but others say its to detrimental to the suspension and drive train. It also effects the speedo.

If one did go with 17s what tire size would be best?

Your first sentence is kind of a "loaded" item, I'd say no to detrimental to suspension, and bigger diameter tires than stock could possibly load up transmission if you race it. Going over or under stock diameter tires is going to affect the speedo.

On 17 inch wheels the 245x45x17 tires affects the speedo as follows; Speedo reads 65 mph, your really going 66.35 mph. Most tire store web sites have a calculator to work these things out, like below link:

http://www.discounttiredire.../tmpInfoTireMath.jsp
michhiker28

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-20-2012 08:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for michhiker28Send a Private Message to michhiker28Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Umm, I'm not sure if there might be a big influx of viewers again, but Kathryn is featured in Autobild starting tomorrow:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Auto_Bild

-MH
michhiker28

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-20-2012 09:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for michhiker28Send a Private Message to michhiker28Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

michhiker28

313 posts
Member since Apr 2011
Also, it is off to the machine shop soon, but we have a question:
She does want a bit bigger cam since she likes the lope sound and wants a bit more power as well. So, with that being said:

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/cca-k16-233-4
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/cca-k16-232-4
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/crn-253902

She is also looking at these
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/cca-rp1413-12
or these with the smaller cam
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/cca-rp1414-12

and these
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/cca-506-16

Thoughts and input please!

-MH
Oramac

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-20-2012 10:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for OramacSend a Private Message to OramacEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Cams can be a tricky beast. I don't know the internals of the Fiero engines very well, so I'll stick to generalities and let others chime in for the specifics.

Does the engine have any accessories that run on engine vacuum? A power brake booster, for example, or vacuum operated flip-up headlights. A lopey cam will sound great, but generally produces less vacuum. This may necessitate a vacuum pump or going to hydro-boost on the brakes (run off the power steering system). Also, depending on the lift, you may need pistons with a recess in them to allow the valves enough room to open fully without contacting the piston.

Overall, though, bigger cams are a relatively simple and inexpensive way to increase power.
PFF
System Bot
michhiker28

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-21-2012 07:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for michhiker28Send a Private Message to michhiker28Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The autobild article for those that read German:
http://www.autobild.de/klas...es-2012-3758331.html

-MH
crateenginedepot

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-21-2012 07:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for crateenginedepotClick Here to visit crateenginedepot's HomePageSend a Private Message to crateenginedepotEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Sweet, well at least I could understand the pictures. Looking forward to any updates on your project over the holidays.
Best wishes.
CED
California Kid

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-21-2012 08:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for California KidSend a Private Message to California KidEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Thoughts and input please!

-MH

Comp Cams makes some great products, they also have an excellent Tech Staff that will help you with choosing a cam that fits your project direction. You can contact them by phone or do the internet thing by completing a "Cam Recommendation" form:

http://www.compcams.com/Com...tion/CamHelpNew.aspx

I run their Extreme Energy Hydraulic in my SBC 355 with the Hilborn setup, which was chosen after after a couple conversations with them, couldn't be happier, and tech support was fantastic. As you are probably aware, cam break-in procedure must be followed to the letter to assure no damage to cam and lifters on engine break-in.
Wild Horse

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-21-2012 09:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Wild HorseSend a Private Message to Wild HorseEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Here is the article (roughly translated)

Schrauberin of 2012
Welding after school

Two years ago, she taught herself to weld. Kathryn DiMaria is now 14 - and working almost every day on their dream: the reconstruction of an old Pontiac Fiero.

Kathryn DiMaria from the U.S. state of Michigan was twelve when she auditioned one evening with her ​​parents: "Mom, Dad, I want to buy me out of my babysitting money a car." But not just any car. No, a Pontiac Fiero it should be. Such a it had recently seen at a Motor Show, where she was with her ​​father - and fell in love with the 80s style. Dad Jerry, a car enthusiast, whose heart beats for Corvette, however, fell almost down the jaw. His pretty daughter called conclusive arguments, however: The Fiero had a good consumption is to get relatively cheap and owns only one passenger seat. So you could take only one person and is thus less distracting while driving. Moreover, they would learn for little money on car mechanics. And when she was finished with 16, the Fiero was a cool, sporty classic.

That she wanted to pay for their dream car out of pocket, she added, as a matter of course added. Her parents looked at each other and grinned. Jerry says, "I was sure the Fiero story takes a few weeks, and then Kathryn has no desire." But today, two years later, she is still here. Your dream car she found on the Internet, it was 40 kilometers from home. It was a Pontiac Fiero SE 2.8 in 1986. "Dad said, we do not have to buy the first, we look at," says Kathryn, "but I wanted to get started as soon as possible." $ 600 demanded by the seller. "I traded him down to $ 450," Kathryn says in a low voice. She seems shy. Although already CNN and the "Huffington Post" reported on how they in the garage of her uncle takes apart the Fiero, repaired and painted black and yellow. But still difficult for her interviews. She has much to say: ". Welding I taught myself My mother taught me to sew next patience while Uncle Bob and Dad made me familiar with the Flex," she reveals.

The loops turns out to be a difficult task. Kathryn: "It just takes forever and is sooo boring." Much more exciting is the girl the engine. 2.8er of the Fiero it had completely dismantled just for learning purposes. She wants to replace it with a 3.4-V6 turbo from a Chevrolet Camaro. Kathryn and her father, who has never done something like this also read to their knowledge in books or on Internet forums. Meanwhile a large following Kathryn's Fiero project pursued in a forum . Some support it by providing it to send a new water pump, a stereo system or just tool. The tire manufacturer Bridgestone even promised to give her a completely new tire set of their choice as soon as they had finished. Universities also hear about Kathryn and invite them to visit their college. Finally, she wants to study mechanical engineering after high school. Only with their classmates Kathryn meets with her ​​passion usually shake their heads. She takes it calmly, "If I had my driver's license at 16 and the Fiero ancestor, they'll understand."
Author:
Daniela Pemöller
bulldog85043

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-21-2012 12:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bulldog85043Send a Private Message to bulldog85043Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

The autobild article for those that read German:
http://www.autobild.de/klas...es-2012-3758331.html

-MH

If anyone is using IE as their browser, right-click on the article and see if you have the Bing Translator option. Syntax is a little wonky but you can read it.
FieroJam

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-21-2012 01:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroJamSend a Private Message to FieroJamEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Chrome offers to translate it as soon as you open it.

Originally posted by bulldog85043:
If anyone is using IE as their browser, right-click on the article and see if you have the Bing Translator option. Syntax is a little wonky but you can read it.

michhiker28

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-23-2012 02:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for michhiker28Send a Private Message to michhiker28Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Engine work starts this week.
Here is what she is thinking for parts: Interested in opinions

Yes for the most part. She wants so lope, so we are looking at this for the build and are interested in your input.

This cam
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/cca-k16-233-4

these rockers
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/cca-rp1413-12

and a bore with these pistons
http://www.summitracing.com...rview/make/chevrolet

Thoughts?

-MH
California Kid

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-23-2012 06:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for California KidSend a Private Message to California KidEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Noticed you don't have valve springs listed, personally I'd replace them with Comp Cams Springs @ the lb. rating that's recommended for the cam. That way you'd be assured to get the most out of the cam (also confirm stock retainers will work with new springs). Add some high quality valve stem seals while you have head down, and new timing chain to drive cam.

[This message has been edited by California Kid (edited 12-23-2012).]

fierofool

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post12-23-2012 06:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Check rocker arm clearances with the valve covers when using high ratio rockers and high lift cams in combo.

[This message has been edited by fierofool (edited 12-23-2012).]

This thread has been moved here: The Construction Zone.
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 44 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18   19   20   21   22   23   24   25   26   27   28   29   30   31   32   33   34   35   36   37   38   39   40   41   42   43   44 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock