Thread Closed  Topic Closed
  Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat
  12 year olds and cars - Kathryn's Fiero (Page 18)

Printable Version

This topic is 44 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18   19   20   21   22   23   24   25   26   27   28   29   30   31   32   33   34   35   36   37   38   39   40   41   42   43   44 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
This thread has been moved here: The Construction Zone.
12 year olds and cars - Kathryn's Fiero by michhiker28
Started on: 04-18-2011 04:37 PM
Replies: 1742 (1027767 views)
Last post by: Cliff Pennock on 02-13-2024 03:58 AM
kathryn

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-20-2012 01:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for kathrynClick Here to visit kathryn's HomePageSend a Private Message to kathrynEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hi everyone,
I have been keeping with the forum when I was in Ohio, and I am back to report. Last night my Dad and I with some pics taken by Jessica have split the engine from the transmition ect. All I have to do tonight is drain the fluids, take off the water pump, get the engine block on the engine stand and somehow get that in the truck....
I also have to finish up my Makers Faire display, I have a busy weekend in front of me
But let's back track.
Just the other day on Tuesday my 3M friend David and his family stopped over to finish bringing me some other supplies. And let's just say I owe 3M a really BIG thank you!! Some of the things they have sent are a custom welding helmet...with yellow flames
a resporator, tons of different grit sanding disks, some of the actual sanding pads that the disks attach to on the sander, multiple safty glasses in case I like one design better than another, earmuffs, ear plugs(shaped like pistons!!), abrasive sheets, a filler for dents and things in the panels, a worker safety kit, amoung other things.
pictures will be posted soon.
thank you everyone for all the support and assistance!! and i look forward to possibly seeing some of you at the Makers Faire!!
-kathryn
IP: Logged
JimmyS

Feedback score:    (31)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 124
Rate this member

Report this Post07-20-2012 06:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JimmySClick Here to visit JimmyS's HomePageSend a Private Message to JimmySEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Kathryn,

Dan and I would like to thank you for the letter. It was/is very sweet and we are glad that we could contribute to your project. Keep up the good work. You are well on your way to having a very sweet ride for when you turn 16.

Jim
sadie goad

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-20-2012 10:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sadie goadSend a Private Message to sadie goadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Wow! What awesome! Keep it up, and I look forward to hearing about your experience at the Makers Faire
carnut122

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 83
Rate this member

Report this Post07-21-2012 11:11 AM Click Here to See the Profile for carnut122Send a Private Message to carnut122Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Nice pictures! It looks like you'll soon get some use out of that welding helmet. I hope you get a bit done before school starts back up.
michhiker28

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-22-2012 06:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for michhiker28Send a Private Message to michhiker28Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I promised Kathryn I would get some photos up, of some recent events.

Recently as Kathryn I think let you know she recently had a visit from one of her friends at 3M. David and his family stopped by while on family vacation no less to be able to meet Kathryn and drop off a few things to her. Very cool.

One of Kathryn's favorites was this welding helmet

Of course it looks even better modeled...lol!

Then there were some fun other items

Including some nice sound deadening panels that will be going on the firewall.....Kathryn liked that not only will they help cool and quiet down the ride, and they will look better then the old ratty insulation that is in there, but with the black and yellow color scheme, she really like that these look like black dragon skin.

So she also got a lot of nice abrasives all the way to 3000 grit! Should make for a VERY NICE finish!

And of course, the worst part is always saying goodbye to new friends.

-MH
michhiker28

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-22-2012 07:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for michhiker28Send a Private Message to michhiker28Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

michhiker28

313 posts
Member since Apr 2011
A few photos from the last couple of nights progress.

we have been working on getting the engine and transmission out and the 2.8 ready to take down to Makers Faire. She will be pulling it all apart there. A very special thanks to Kathryn's younger sister Jessica for working with us the other night and taking these photos.

Kathryn liked engine disassembly!

In fact, she managed to get the clutch and flywheel off by herself faster than Dad was able to remove the water pump!

Here is Kathryn removing the backside exhaust header

And of course getting the wiring harness completely off is always an accomplishment!

the more you remove the mare the parts start to pile up!

But the reality is that this has been a wonderful project. Kathryn has learned so much about so many things. She has been able to learn how to weld, auto mechanics, engineering, interview skills, interacting with adults, confidence, applied math, tools, etc. I could have never imagined that this would have been as great of an event as it has become. Everyone here has been so supportive, kind and helpful to her and I. It has become one of those events in life that you just reflect on and go...WOW! I wouldn't trade that for anything. At the end of the day, it is all about having fun together. I think the following photos are some of my favorite from the whole project.

Kathryn pulls the engine mount bolts

and it is off the cradle and ready to mount to the engine stand!

-MH

California Kid

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 274
Rate this member

Report this Post07-22-2012 07:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for California KidSend a Private Message to California KidEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for the updates ! This thread is rather "Special" to me, and I enjoy watching the progress unfold. I believe/hope it builds to something very special for all of you down the road, and that the joys currently, are just the tip of the iceberg.
Formula88

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 554
Rate this member

Report this Post07-22-2012 08:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula88Send a Private Message to Formula88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Some of the best times I had with my father were working on cars. This is going to be something you'll remember the rest of your life.
Good job, and keep up the good work!!
Capitol City Fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-23-2012 06:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Capitol City FieroSend a Private Message to Capitol City FieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Kathryn: here is the invite to MIS you need to be at main entrance on US-12 at 10:15 AM You Can ride with me I will be running class 2 the stock V-6 cars
I'm the pace car for this class.

just email me at capitolcityfieros@gmail.com or PM me
montage

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-23-2012 08:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for montageSend a Private Message to montageEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Ditto that big time Kid!
michhiker28

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-24-2012 09:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for michhiker28Send a Private Message to michhiker28Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
CCF, and Montage,
thanks so much for that wonderful offer. I know she would love to be there to meet you all and especially to get on the track. We'll talk a bit to see if there is anyway we can get her to break free from the MF for a little bit, and we'll be in touch soon.

For those of you in the Mid-Michigan area, ABC 12 just did an interview with her today. We "think" it is going to be on the 6 o'clock news tomorrow 7/25, but we are still waiting to hear for sure. We'll let you all know when we know.

-MH
PFF
System Bot
MadMark

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-24-2012 09:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MadMarkSend a Private Message to MadMarkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Great, I would love to hear the interview. keep up the good work Kathryn.
michhiker28

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-25-2012 03:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for michhiker28Send a Private Message to michhiker28Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The story should be airing on ABC 12 at about 4:20 this afternoon, it will later be linked on their website so I'll try to post a link once we have that as well.

-MH
MadMark

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-25-2012 04:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MadMarkSend a Private Message to MadMarkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks MH, I will be watching.
mrvids

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-25-2012 06:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mrvidsSend a Private Message to mrvidsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
http://www.abc12.com/story/...restoring-1986-fiero

Above is the link to the story. :-) It may air again in a month or so during ABC 12's Back to the Bricks coverage.
ChuckLS1

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-25-2012 06:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ChuckLS1Send a Private Message to ChuckLS1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That was a great story!

------------------
Chuck
88 Formula W/fastback
2000 Grand Prix GTP

MadMark

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-25-2012 06:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MadMarkSend a Private Message to MadMarkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That was a good story. Good on you Kathryn and MH. It is fun to see the kind of attention that a good story can get.
michhiker28

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-26-2012 09:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for michhiker28Send a Private Message to michhiker28Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
One of the interviews from Makers Faire can be found here:
http://blog.makezine.com/20...th-fieros-interview/

Wild Horse

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-26-2012 01:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Wild HorseSend a Private Message to Wild HorseEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Kathryn
Both of those interviews are excellent. Congratulations you are coming along so well.

MH
I could see the pride in your smile on the ABC interview and from what I see, Kathryn has given you good reason to be proud. But don't forget, the lessons from you and your Mrs. are the full reason Kathryn is turning out the way she is, so give yourselves a big pat on the back for raising such an inspirational daughter!

------------------
Here to support Kathryn's Fiero, You inspire us all

California Kid

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-26-2012 05:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for California KidSend a Private Message to California KidEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You are both doing a fine job with the interviews and video's !

I'm a bit camera shy, but that got tested out by a TV Crew at the GM Employee Car Show this past Wednesday. I was so rattled that I didn't even get Channel name or their business card, LOL!!! If I ever find the video, and if it's any good, I'll post it on the forum. Crew said I did a real good job, and I'm like "really, it didn't feel good".
Mugwort

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-26-2012 05:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MugwortSend a Private Message to MugwortEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
took me most of my work day to read thru this entire thread on my phone at work (i probably should have been working, but this was far more interesting lol) and i gotta say, it was the greatest thread I've ever read! My son will be 18 tomorrow and he isnt even interested in cars much less having bothered to buy or work on one. Keep the great work you 2
PFF
System Bot
Cliff Pennock
Administrator

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 698
Rate this member

Report this Post07-26-2012 07:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Cliff PennockClick Here to visit Cliff Pennock's HomePageSend a Private Message to Cliff PennockEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by michhiker28:

One of the interviews from Makers Faire can be found here:
http://blog.makezine.com/20...th-fieros-interview/

"Penncock's Fiero Forum"?
RWDPLZ

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 303
Rate this member

Report this Post07-26-2012 07:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RWDPLZClick Here to visit RWDPLZ's HomePageSend a Private Message to RWDPLZEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Cliff Pennock:

"Penncock's Fiero Forum"?

The interviewer misspelled it. Auto-correct is a PETA
Cliff Pennock
Administrator

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 698
Rate this member

Report this Post07-26-2012 07:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Cliff PennockClick Here to visit Cliff Pennock's HomePageSend a Private Message to Cliff PennockEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I noticed a huge spike in traffic again today and at first I thought it was because of the Makezine interview. But oddly enough, all that traffic came from a Polish blog where there was a link to this thread.

That link brought 17,610 visitors in about an hour. At its peak, 1,342 visitors were reading this thread at the same time.
California Kid

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-26-2012 07:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for California KidSend a Private Message to California KidEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Cliff Pennock:

I noticed a huge spike in traffic again today and at first I thought it was because of the Makezine interview. But oddly enough, all that traffic came from a Polish blog where there was a link to this thread.

That link brought 17,610 visitors in about an hour. At its peak, 1,342 visitors were reading this thread at the same time.

WOW ! They have that many computers over there !

LOL, just kidding and I know the Polish have a great sense of humor.
kathryn

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-26-2012 09:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for kathrynClick Here to visit kathryn's HomePageSend a Private Message to kathrynEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
hey guys
Cliff i seriously only turned my back on them for a minute and now look at all the trouble that's gotten stirred up again...seriously though sorry about that And i would really like to thank you all for the great offers encouragement and support!! So updates...I have started grinding down my frame rails and they are actually way better than I thought they would be from the looks of them. My 2.8 liter is pulled and in the truck ready to go down to Makers Faire with me tomorrow, and I have been working on getting my front bumper put back together along with finishing things for Makers Faire. I hope to see some of you there on Saturday and Sunday if possible
Thanks again everyone and I will have a lot to update over the weekend I'm sure.
-kathryn
Maciej C

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-27-2012 07:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Maciej CClick Here to visit Maciej C's HomePageSend a Private Message to Maciej CEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hello. I would like to put a few things straight. Firstly, wykop.pl is not a blog, it is a very popular Polish social media site where people share links that they find interesting (sth like digg.com or reddit.com). Secondly, I would like to deny that Poland is in Southern America (I've heard that many US citizens think so as they are not very good at geography, so I thought it might be useful when I clarify that). Jokin' of course, I know you have a good sense of humor too Regards, Maciej
California Kid

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-27-2012 07:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for California KidSend a Private Message to California KidEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
ROFLMAO ! Nice post Maciej
kathryn

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-28-2012 12:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for kathrynClick Here to visit kathryn's HomePageSend a Private Message to kathrynEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
We are at Maker's Faire...having a great time, if anyone is in Detroit, stop on by!

-Kathryn
nitroheadz28

Feedback score:    (26)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 94
Rate this member

Report this Post07-28-2012 03:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for nitroheadz28Send a Private Message to nitroheadz28Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Polska bialo czerwoni! Shameless plug for Polish representation

Enjoy yourself Kathryn
kathryn

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-28-2012 05:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for kathrynClick Here to visit kathryn's HomePageSend a Private Message to kathrynEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hey everyone,
Makers Faire is almost at the end of it's first day and so far i have almost completely torn down my original engine everything is off except for pistons, oil pump, and crank. I have also somehow managed to have two interviews FOX and CNN. Thanks for everything and I hope to have more updates tomorrow!! also i will try to find the times for the interviews!!
thanks again
-kathryn
PFF
System Bot
lometje

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-28-2012 06:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for lometjeSend a Private Message to lometjeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Just have read the whole topic on this build and wanted to give thumbs up ( ) for the progress so far! Can't wait to see the end result,
Congrats on the torn down engine and interviews!

ps. I came across this forum from the blog hackaday > http://hackaday.com/2012/07...r-her-16th-birthday/
05STiDemon

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-28-2012 06:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 05STiDemonSend a Private Message to 05STiDemonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by lometje:

Just have read the whole topic on this build and wanted to give thumbs up ( ) for the progress so far! Can't wait to see the end result,
Congrats on the torn down engine and interviews!

ps. I came across this forum from the blog hackaday > http://hackaday.com/2012/07...r-her-16th-birthday/

I also came from Hackaday yesterday around 5pm and didn't finish reading until 2am today. I wanted to wish you good luck and that you're doing a wonderful job.

You have also inspired me to find a Fiero and work on it and to start working on my current car again, but I'll leave that out of here.

Edit:

When I started working on vehicles, I could not even change a tire or the oil, and I too have came along way, however you outshine me more than the Sun and the Moon.

I'm glad that you are enjoying MF, they are really fun for all.

Please keep up the great work Kathryn and Dad! ヽ(*⌒∇⌒*)ノ

[This message has been edited by 05STiDemon (edited 07-28-2012).]

NxieToob

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-28-2012 08:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NxieToobSend a Private Message to NxieToobEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Another fan here from Hackaday. Wow, your story is inspiring as many have already noted.

I also started working on cars as a young teen (switched from ham radio). Many moons ago.
The bug bit hard. I've rebuilt many engines since then but never a project as fine as yours!

You're fortunate to have a gearhead dad and all the tools you have available. Rock on!

Edit: I'm originally from MoTown, MI but live in CA now.

[This message has been edited by NxieToob (edited 07-28-2012).]

kathryn

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-29-2012 02:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for kathrynClick Here to visit kathryn's HomePageSend a Private Message to kathrynEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Down to bare block!
Gokart Mozart

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 159
Rate this member

Report this Post07-29-2012 03:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gokart MozartClick Here to visit Gokart Mozart's HomePageSend a Private Message to Gokart MozartEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Saw your story on Fox 2 this morning. I'll say great choice on your first car! I like your determination and focus on setting your dreams and the ability to learn new skills to achieve them. You know what you want and are willing to take your time to get them. I'm sure there's plenty of things you can't wait to get now but the effort on troubleshooting the complete rebuild of a car is a huge undertaking that you're well on the way of completing. Those skills will translate into great opportunities for you in the future.
michhiker28

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-29-2012 10:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for michhiker28Send a Private Message to michhiker28Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Well, we arrived home safe and sound. Kathryn had a great time I think. She'll have some photos to post soon, and she has now officially torn down her first engine from start to finish. She learned a lot along the way. Now to tear down and rebuild the 3.4 I see we have a good thread going so that will be some good reading material. We know that she wants a bigger cam, etc. So it should be fun!
michhiker28

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-29-2012 10:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for michhiker28Send a Private Message to michhiker28Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

michhiker28

313 posts
Member since Apr 2011
Here is a link to the Fox News Detroit story and video:
http://www.myfoxdetroit.com...enry-ford-july-28-29

-MH
wan2b007

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-30-2012 12:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for wan2b007Click Here to visit wan2b007's HomePageSend a Private Message to wan2b007Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It was so cool meeting you at Maker Faire today! Very inspiring. If I decide to part out my 86, you'll be the first to know

--NASA Shirt Guy with CMU GF
gen2muchwork

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-30-2012 06:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for gen2muchworkSend a Private Message to gen2muchworkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by wan2b007:

It was so cool meeting you at Maker Faire today! Very inspiring. If I decide to part out my 86, you'll be the first to know

--NASA Shirt Guy with CMU GF

I'll second that! Great to meet you and your family. It really is cool to meet you guys. Your famous now you know! Good luck with the work ahead of you.

- Dave, Susie and baby Claire
This thread has been moved here: The Construction Zone.
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 44 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18   19   20   21   22   23   24   25   26   27   28   29   30   31   32   33   34   35   36   37   38   39   40   41   42   43   44 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock