Thread Closed  Topic Closed
  Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat
  12 year olds and cars - Kathryn's Fiero (Page 17)

Printable Version

This topic is 44 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18   19   20   21   22   23   24   25   26   27   28   29   30   31   32   33   34   35   36   37   38   39   40   41   42   43   44 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
This thread has been moved here: The Construction Zone.
12 year olds and cars - Kathryn's Fiero by michhiker28
Started on: 04-18-2011 04:37 PM
Replies: 1742 (1027767 views)
Last post by: Cliff Pennock on 02-13-2024 03:58 AM
michhiker28

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-19-2012 07:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for michhiker28Send a Private Message to michhiker28Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Well just a brief update.

We found a couple of exciting things in the post today when Kathryn got home.

We found a couple of new fiberglass pieces from Jim and Dan from Fierofiberglass. These were the new panels that Kathryn was really wanting and they are very nicely done.

Kathryn also got another cool present in the mail for her birthday, the shop manual for the Fiero from Randy Jones

And a little birdie told us that none other than Chip Foose will be hearing about her story in the next couple of days......I should add here that Mr. Foose is one of Kathryn's all time heroes.

-MH
IP: Logged
pontiackid86

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 344
Rate this member

Report this Post06-19-2012 08:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pontiackid86Send a Private Message to pontiackid86Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Seems to be comming along great. keep up the good work.....
RWDPLZ

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 303
Rate this member

Report this Post06-19-2012 08:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RWDPLZClick Here to visit RWDPLZ's HomePageSend a Private Message to RWDPLZEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The 22P Parts book is a great resource, a lot of the part numbers have been since superseded or no longer exist in a lot of computers, but you can usually find them somewhere, or use the diagrams to show people what you're trying to find.
michhiker28

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-19-2012 08:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for michhiker28Send a Private Message to michhiker28Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by RWDPLZ:

The 22P Parts book is a great resource, a lot of the part numbers have been since superseded or no longer exist in a lot of computers, but you can usually find them somewhere, or use the diagrams to show people what you're trying to find.

Yes that was a very thoughtful gift and we are very grateful for it.

-MH
carnut122

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 83
Rate this member

Report this Post06-19-2012 09:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for carnut122Send a Private Message to carnut122Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by michhiker28:

Well just a brief update.

We found a couple of exciting things in the post today when Kathryn got home.

We found a couple of new fiberglass pieces from Jim and Dan from Fierofiberglass. These were the new panels that Kathryn was really wanting and they are very nicely done.

Kathryn also got another cool present in the mail for her birthday, the shop manual for the Fiero from Randy Jones

And a little birdie told us that none other than Chip Foose will be hearing about her story in the next couple of days......I should add here that Mr. Foose is one of Kathryn's all time heroes.

-MH

That's great! I love Chip Foose!
datacop

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 52
Rate this member

Report this Post06-20-2012 10:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for datacopClick Here to visit datacop's HomePageSend a Private Message to datacopEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

[ ... snip ... ]

-MH

If you look through the archives.. there has been literally dozens of threads of people dreaming what Chip would do with one of our little cars if it was ever to make an episode of "Overhaulin'" when he was still doing that show.

As a matter of fact, Rallester's build was inspired by that show.. including the pranking

Looking forward to hearing more
JimmyS

Feedback score:    (31)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 124
Rate this member

Report this Post06-20-2012 04:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JimmySClick Here to visit JimmyS's HomePageSend a Private Message to JimmySEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm glad everything arrived safely and that Kathryn is happy.

You probably don't know this but my avatar is a doodle, done by Chip, of my car. Here is a better pic of it...

I had the pleasure of meeting Chip a few years ago.

kathryn

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-21-2012 04:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for kathrynClick Here to visit kathryn's HomePageSend a Private Message to kathrynEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Okay updates as promised, but first
Thank you to everyone for being so supportive, and all of the birthday gifts and wishes!
the updates are pretty much sanding...*wince*...lol i have started on my hood, and i have to do some other panels, and my back clip.... but i have also started cleaning up some smaller parts, and i will put up some pics later...
and also to anyone who has met Chip Foose i am immensely jealous. like well and truly jealous. But at the same time it's cool to hear from people who have met him...so yeah cool.
also i have been working on doing stuff well figuring out what i'm going to do for the makers faire.
-kathryn
PD1949

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-26-2012 07:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PD1949Send a Private Message to PD1949Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hi, just ot say keep up the great work.
PD1949

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-26-2012 07:37 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PD1949Send a Private Message to PD1949Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

PD1949

26 posts
Member since Jun 2012
Missy, you asked me to register so I could post on the thread. keep up the good work see you soon and looking forward to the Faire.
kathryn

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-26-2012 10:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for kathrynClick Here to visit kathryn's HomePageSend a Private Message to kathrynEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hi everybody,
i'm slowly making progress, i have finished sanding my front deck, and i have to sand the doorskins, and finish up some of my ground effects ect. but i will be working down at my Uncles on Wednesday I think...well that's the plan anyway.
so yeah nothing exciting but i am making progress.
thanks for all the support i will be posting on thursday, and there will be no posts from me this weekend because i have a Church Youth Conference this weekend so I will not have the chance to make progress then.
thanks again
-kathryn
PFF
System Bot
michhiker28

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-27-2012 12:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for michhiker28Send a Private Message to michhiker28Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Well, tonight Kathryn can get her choice of project. Pull the front suspension out of the car, or pull the engine and cradle. Hmmm, I wonder what she will pick....

-MH
fierofool

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post06-28-2012 12:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
When you get back working on the car, don't forget to post the obligatory 'Standing In The Engine Bay' photo.

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post06-28-2012 01:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by kathryn:

...so yeah nothing exciting but i am making progress.
-kathryn

Prorgess is progress
Just keep visualizing what it will be
michhiker28

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-28-2012 09:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for michhiker28Send a Private Message to michhiker28Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Well everyone she did pretty well the other night. With a little help from us she managed to get the rear cradle ready to drop. She just needs to take out the four cradle bolts and lift teh car and it is out! All in about 3 hours so not to bad. :-)

-MH
jake88fm2

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-29-2012 08:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jake88fm2Send a Private Message to jake88fm2Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I just read this whole thread. and all I can say is AMAZING! Great job! Think of the pride your going to feel when you drive that car to school the first time and all you piers jaws drop. and you know there will never be a car like that anywhere, Because you did it. you made it yours. wow! I know I'm inspired to get mine done now.
ChuckLS1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-29-2012 11:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ChuckLS1Send a Private Message to ChuckLS1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Overhaulin is coming back this fall on Velocity with new episodes.

------------------
Chuck
88 Formula W/fastback
2000 Grand Prix GTP

fierofool

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post06-30-2012 12:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Don't let Pimp My Ride or Overhaulin' or any one else get hold of your car. It will never mean as much to you and your Dad. It will be 'their' car and not yours.
Tha Driver

Feedback score:    (46)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 204
Rate this member

Report this Post06-30-2012 02:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Tha DriverClick Here to visit Tha Driver's HomePageSend a Private Message to Tha DriverEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fierofool:

Don't let Pimp My Ride or Overhaulin' or any one else get hold of your car. It will never mean as much to you and your Dad. It will be 'their' car and not yours.

Not to mention they'll screw up your car. I saw them (Foose) do a Dodge van/pickup & he had about eight mexicans bondo the ENTIRE sides of the truck & air filing all the bondo down!
Kathryn I sent you a PM a while back. Let me know if you got it.
~ Paul
aka "Tha Driver"

Custom Fiberglass Parts
Marine1981

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-01-2012 01:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Marine1981Click Here to visit Marine1981's HomePageSend a Private Message to Marine1981Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fierofool:

Plus whenever you do a restoration under a time restraint short cuts will be made that Could bite you in the rear later. It will look nice and drive great but I would rather take my time and know that everything I would be concerned with was taken care of in a way I felt comfortable with.
carnut122

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 83
Rate this member

Report this Post07-01-2012 08:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for carnut122Send a Private Message to carnut122Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Well everyone she did pretty well the other night. With a little help from us she managed to get the rear cradle ready to drop. She just needs to take out the four cradle bolts and lift teh car and it is out! All in about 3 hours so not to bad. :-)

-MH

You have a great deal of patience. Maybe that's why my kids didn't do anything like this? 3 hours is pretty good! Of course one rusted cradle bolt may add another 3 hours.
PFF
System Bot
sadie goad

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-01-2012 09:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sadie goadSend a Private Message to sadie goadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I am loving all of your progress and all of your birthday goodies, Kathryn! Keep up the fabulous hard work!
kathryn

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-05-2012 11:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for kathrynClick Here to visit kathryn's HomePageSend a Private Message to kathrynEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hey everyone and thanks for all the feed back, I am sorry for not posting but mostly i don't have much to update i have mostly been working on my display for the Makers Faire and I will be in Ohio all of next week. But before the Makers Faire my 2.8 will be dropped and ready to go down with me Again i'm sorry for not coming on and posting more but i don't have much to update!! I hope everyone had a great Fourth of July, and thanks again.
-kathryn
kathryn

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-09-2012 07:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for kathrynClick Here to visit kathryn's HomePageSend a Private Message to kathrynEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hi again everyone
I just wanted to say that some time around the 17th I will be pulling my engine completely out and get it ready to take to the makers faire
and along with doing that I will be posting updates on how it went ect.
hope everyone is having a good summer
-kathryn
pete 2m4

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-10-2012 01:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for pete 2m4Send a Private Message to pete 2m4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Incredible job and spirit!!!! Keep up the excellent work!!!!!
RWDPLZ

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-10-2012 01:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RWDPLZClick Here to visit RWDPLZ's HomePageSend a Private Message to RWDPLZEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Looking forward to it! Save the old engine, a lot of the parts can be used as spares on the 3.4, like the heads.
michhiker28

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-11-2012 02:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for michhiker28Send a Private Message to michhiker28Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
A few short updates:

Fierofool, we will make sure to get the "standing in the engine bay photo" How could we forget that one!

We'll make sure to keep the 2.8 as well. I know that Kathryn is looking forward to tearing both engines down....all part of the learning process.

Those that have PM'd me ore Kathryn hopefully you have received replies. I know Kathryn was sending some emails and PM's out just the other night.

Preparations for Makers Faire as well as progress on the car itself continues. There is a big package in the living room for Kathryn when she gets back from the week at her grandparents that looks suspiciously like a new fiberglass f355 nose. Nice! Also, 4 big boxes of materials arrived today from Kathryn's sponsors at 3M! Since she hasn't gotten to see the contents yet, I won't go into too much detail, or post photos.....yet....but suffice it to say she owes them a REALLY NICE THANK YOU LETTER! There are some items there that are really going to make the project better, and will have saved her time, money, and effort. Dave, Jay, and Bill, and the rest of the 3M crew...thank you!

We will be finishing the engine/transmission/rear cradle pull next week as well as starting on pulling the front suspension. Things should be moving quick in the next couple of weeks. Also for those of you in the MI area we might have a place you can watch some of Kathryn's progress shortly...stay tuned. If you are free the weekend of the 28th and 29th and are around Detroit, please feel free to stop in and say hi to Kathryn at the Makers Faire at the Henry Ford. For those of you going to the Tyler Show, we will miss you, but have a great time in MN and we will hope to see you there next year!

-MH
MadMark

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-11-2012 10:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MadMarkSend a Private Message to MadMarkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
michhiker28, if I remember correctly that same weekend the Capital City Fiero Club will have their show, run weekend. We will be in the Jackson area and also going to the MIS speedway for a run on the track at speed. This is the last time we can get on the track since it has changed ownership. So if you and your daughter can break free we would love to meet her and you in person. And maybe some of us can break free long enough to go the the Maker's Fair.

Have a good time. You both are doing great.
Wild Horse

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-12-2012 12:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Wild HorseSend a Private Message to Wild HorseEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Now wouldn't it be cool if the Capital City Fiero Club went as a group to the Makers Faire to surprise Kathryn?
Formula88

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 554
Rate this member

Report this Post07-12-2012 12:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula88Send a Private Message to Formula88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Wild Horse:

Now wouldn't it be cool if the Capital City Fiero Club went as a group to the Makers Faire to surprise Kathryn?

It would be cool, but now that you've posted it on the internet, it wouldn't be a surprise.
gen2muchwork

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-12-2012 01:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for gen2muchworkSend a Private Message to gen2muchworkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by kathryn:

i have mostly been working on my display for the Makers Faire and I will be in Ohio all of next week. But before the Makers Faire my 2.8 will be dropped and ready to go down with me -kathryn

are you going to be at tho ohio faire only?
I plan to attend the Dearborn/Henry Ford one, it would be neat to see your display in person.

PFF
System Bot
michhiker28

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-12-2012 02:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for michhiker28Send a Private Message to michhiker28Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by gen2muchwork:

are you going to be at tho ohio faire only?
I plan to attend the Dearborn/Henry Ford one, it would be neat to see your display in person.

Gen2, she will be at the Detroit Faire. She is in Ohio for this week visiting family, We'll look forward to seeing you if you stop by at Detroit!

-MH
Wild Horse

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-12-2012 05:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Wild HorseSend a Private Message to Wild HorseEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Formula88:

It would be cool, but now that you've posted it on the internet, it wouldn't be a surprise.

Actually.. If they agreed to do it it wouldn't be a surprise...

MadMark

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-12-2012 07:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MadMarkSend a Private Message to MadMarkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Wild Horse:

It would be cool except that the whole weekend is scheduled for things to do. So I don't believe we could do that. You can go to www.capitalcityfieros.com to see the schedule for our weekend. And this is the last time we will be able to drive on the MIS track, so if anyone wants to drive on the track, this is the time.

RWDPLZ

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-12-2012 09:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RWDPLZClick Here to visit RWDPLZ's HomePageSend a Private Message to RWDPLZEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by MadMark:

It would be cool except that the whole weekend is scheduled for things to do. So I don't believe we could do that. You can go to www.capitalcityfieros.com to see the schedule for our weekend. And this is the last time we will be able to drive on the MIS track, so if anyone wants to drive on the track, this is the time.

How do I sign up to drive at MIS? I've always wanted to do that.
MadMark

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-12-2012 11:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MadMarkSend a Private Message to MadMarkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If you want to drive on the MIS track, just go to the Capitol City Fiero's Website I listed before and fill out the form. I just talked to Bob the president tonight and if all you want to do is drive with us on the track, he has a signup for that too. You had better hurry to sign up since this is the last time because the track ownership changed and decided this is the last time they are allowing this.

Sorry to steal the thread. Any other questions on this just got to www.http://www.capitolcityf...excitement-2012.html or to the thread about the Capitol City Fiero's Driving the Excitement.
mrvids

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-13-2012 09:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for mrvidsSend a Private Message to mrvidsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
What will the cradle get coated with to help prevent rust?

[This message has been edited by mrvids (edited 07-13-2012).]

gen2muchwork

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-16-2012 07:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for gen2muchworkSend a Private Message to gen2muchworkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
thats great! I'm looking forward to meeting you guys there. I see they are already preparing for it in the parking lot ( I work down the street)

Gen2, she will be at the Detroit Faire. She is in Ohio for this week visiting family, We'll look forward to seeing you if you stop by at Detroit!

-MH

GADJet

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-18-2012 12:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GADJetSend a Private Message to GADJetEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
This thread amazes me everytime I open it. I am so proud of this little girl and what she is doing. I wish half the kids these days would find a hobby to keep them entertained and out of the streets. Kathryn I am so proud of what your doing and everytime I turn around there is something else going on. Keep up the hard work dear.
michhiker28

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-18-2012 09:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for michhiker28Send a Private Message to michhiker28Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Well time for a brief update. Last evening we had a friend from 3M stop by with some cool items for Kathryn...I'll let her tell you a bit more about that, as I am sure she will be excited to share the goodies. Suffice it to say that Kathryn was given some wonderful gifts including some excellent abrasives that should make the prep for paint and the final coats absolutely beautiful. 3000 grit is amazing stuff! We'll have photos of some of this a bit later one.

Tonight we went down and finished what she had started a couple of weeks ago.
Of course anytime you get to turn some wrenches it is a good time

and when you get to spend the time as Daddy and daughter it is even better!

a very special thank you should be mentioned here, as you will notice we were both kinda busy for some of these pics so Kathryn's little sister Jessica was our camera operator tonight! Thanks for all your help J! She is following in big sis's footsteps and thinks that in a couple of years she wants to tackle doing a CJ5.

Lots of wrenching still do do...the cradle bolts weren't as bad as we thought, but they weren't easy either. Kathryn managed 3 of them...dad had to help with the other...even with the big breaking bar.

We simply followed the instructions...thanks all

and made sure to check that we remembered everything and checked clearances as the cradle went down and the car came up!

and of course it wouldn't be complete without the standing in the engine bay photos

there ya go folks...so easy even a 14 year old girl can do it!

Tomorrow it is time to split the engine and transmission. If any of you are going to be at Makers Faire Detroit next weekend, the goal is to have the 2.8 down there.

Till next time...
-MH

This thread has been moved here: The Construction Zone.
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 44 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18   19   20   21   22   23   24   25   26   27   28   29   30   31   32   33   34   35   36   37   38   39   40   41   42   43   44 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock