Thread Closed  Topic Closed
  Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat
  12 year olds and cars - Kathryn's Fiero (Page 16)

Printable Version

This topic is 44 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18   19   20   21   22   23   24   25   26   27   28   29   30   31   32   33   34   35   36   37   38   39   40   41   42   43   44 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
This thread has been moved here: The Construction Zone.
12 year olds and cars - Kathryn's Fiero by michhiker28
Started on: 04-18-2011 04:37 PM
Replies: 1742 (1027767 views)
Last post by: Cliff Pennock on 02-13-2024 03:58 AM
kathryn

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-06-2012 06:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for kathrynClick Here to visit kathryn's HomePageSend a Private Message to kathrynEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
okay NPR is National Public Radio, however I'm not sure where you can listen or watch but I'll get my Dad to update and tell you all. Also i know that it is playing sometime on Father's Day Weekend so that's why my Dad and I were invited on.
-kathryn
IP: Logged
kathryn

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-06-2012 06:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for kathrynClick Here to visit kathryn's HomePageSend a Private Message to kathrynEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

kathryn

197 posts
Member since Jun 2011
oh by the way at the beginning like the very beginning when you first click on Pennock's Fiero Forum link did you realize that it mentions the "us" as men!? Why do men get all the credit, are girls not allowed to be mechanics and engineers too? Anyway sorry for that. but thank you everyone, and especially thank you for that blueprint/link! I will be needing that shortly
-kathryn
michhiker28

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-06-2012 07:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for michhiker28Send a Private Message to michhiker28Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
NPR is National Public Radio and she will be on the program All Things Considered weekend edition for Fathers Day. It should be nationwide, and you should be able to find a place to listen on this page http://www.npr.org/template...le/index.php?prgId=2 So there are lots of affiliates .

From Wikipedia:
In 2005, ATC aired on over 560 radio stations and reached an audience of approximately 12 million listeners each weekday, making it the third most listened to radio program in the United States after The Rush Limbaugh Show and Morning Edition.[2] In September 2010, All Things Considered had an average quarter-hour audience of 1.8 million.[4]

So there should be a lot of people listening in...lol!

In other news, the local school board president saw the write up in the local paper on Kathryn's project and so she and her husband had a copy really nicely framed for Kathryn in her cars colors. Thought you guys might like to see a quick photo

and a bit closer view

--MH (aka Kathryn's dad)

Wild Horse

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-06-2012 11:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Wild HorseSend a Private Message to Wild HorseEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The NPR interview will be available on the net if you are unable to find a local station to listen, watch this page for the links to the podcast shortly after the original broadcast.

------------------
Here to support Kathryn's Fiero, You inspire us all

sadie goad

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-07-2012 11:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for sadie goadSend a Private Message to sadie goadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Wow, all the publicity is SO COOL! You all must be so proud, congrats! I love NPR and will hopefully be able to listen in. My dad listens to NPR on a daily basis!
NEVERDONE

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-07-2012 01:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NEVERDONESend a Private Message to NEVERDONEEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Well that explains why I dont know what NPR is! (rush limbaugh) But I will definantly tune in for this though! I always have great respect for girls turning wrenches on their own cars! Keep it up! One day you will be president of your own Fiero club!!

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post06-07-2012 02:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by kathryn:

okay NPR is National Public Radio, however I'm not sure where you can listen or watch but I'll get my Dad to update and tell you all. Also i know that it is playing sometime on Father's Day Weekend so that's why my Dad and I were invited on.
-kathryn

Here is a station finder for NPR stations.

http://www.npr.org/stations/

michhiker28

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-08-2012 08:11 AM Click Here to See the Profile for michhiker28Send a Private Message to michhiker28Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Another update:
Yesterday, Kathryn had a visit from Bill and Jay, 3M employees. 3M as some of you may have gathered from previous posts have taken an interest in the project and have graciously offered to help in anyway that they can to make Kathryn's Fiero even better than new when she is done. As part of that process, Bill and Jay came to talk with Kathryn yesterday evening, to see the project in person and to offer some advice and guidance. They were absolutely wonderful with her. I'm sure that she will tell you more of the story when she posts. Suffice it to say that we were very impressed. What a wonderful experience to have a large multinational company take interest in a kids project.

Of course they also wanted to get pictures of Kathryn and Kathryn's Dad...and I had been doing so good at keeping my photos out of here...lol!

Bill and Jay took a good look at what she has accomplished so far as well as some of the problem areas that still need to be addressed:

We had some good discussions regarding things that can help Kathryn stay safe and through the next upcoming steps of the project

and of course a couple of photos of Kathryn with her 3M team.

Again a really big thank you to Bill, Jay, and David and the entire 3M team for their interest and support of Kathryn's dream.

-MH (aka Kathryn's Dad)

California Kid

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 274
Rate this member

Report this Post06-08-2012 08:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for California KidSend a Private Message to California KidEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
MH and Kathryn, thanks for the updates ! Very happy for your entire family.

Those guys from 3M look very familiar to me.
jwrape

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-08-2012 08:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jwrapeSend a Private Message to jwrapeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Does the 3m guys being there mean that you might be using their 3m vinyl wrap to put color on the car?

------------------
Car Thread:
86 GT
//www.fiero.nl/forum/F...ML/085541.html

datacop

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 52
Rate this member

Report this Post06-08-2012 09:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for datacopClick Here to visit datacop's HomePageSend a Private Message to datacopEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by michhiker28:

Another update:
Yesterday, Kathryn had a visit from Bill and Jay, 3M employees.

[ ... snip ... ]

In a word... AWESOME!!

PFF
System Bot
Synthesis

Feedback score:    (19)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 295
Rate this member

Report this Post06-08-2012 10:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SynthesisSend a Private Message to SynthesisEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Awesome. Way to go 3M and Kathryn!
kathryn

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-08-2012 11:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for kathrynClick Here to visit kathryn's HomePageSend a Private Message to kathrynEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hey everybody,
Updates, We met with the 3M team yesterday to discuss safety and efficient ways to completing my project.
Although Dad already gave details and pictures Thank you 3M!!!
Also today my Dad and I got our interview recorded with NPR, which will be broadcasting at 5:00 PM Eastern Time, on Father's Day next Sunday. It was really cool we got to go into the studio, wear cool headsets and talk into a huge mic. I also got to learn a little bit about the TV broadcasting/Radio broadcasting stations because we were given a little tour at the end of the interview! It was pretty cool! We will be able to pictures up soon, because we need to get them through e-mail first because Dad forgot to bring his camera to take his own, oh well, no one is perfect
Thanks again everyone, and again it will be broadcasting on All Things Considered off of NPR at 5:00 Eastern Time on Father's Day.
-kathryn
E.Furgal

Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 278
User Banned

Report this Post06-08-2012 11:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for E.FurgalSend a Private Message to E.FurgalEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
nice build, I want your shop..
lol
Formula88

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 554
Rate this member

Report this Post06-08-2012 12:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula88Send a Private Message to Formula88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Very cool! I'm really enjoying reading about your progress. I can't wait to see it when it's finished.
Keep up the good work!
michhiker28

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-08-2012 04:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for michhiker28Send a Private Message to michhiker28Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I see Kathryn posted very briefly with regards to her experience today talking with NPR in the studio. The interview was about 1/2 an hour but I am sure they will edit it down. It will be interesting to hear what they came up with. In further news I received one of her birthday presents today. Can't tell what it is of course, but it MIGHT have to do with a Fiero.

Here is the photo of her in studio:

-MH
California Kid

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-08-2012 05:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for California KidSend a Private Message to California KidEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Great photo for the family album MH ! Even though the lighting is from directly overhead, she seems to have a glow at that moment.
carnut122

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 83
Rate this member

Report this Post06-08-2012 09:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for carnut122Send a Private Message to carnut122Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Kathryn, glad to see you're still getting a lot of press. I'll try to listen to the broadcast on Sunday. I hope you're getting more done on your Fiero project than I am on my pick-up project.
michhiker28

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-10-2012 08:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for michhiker28Send a Private Message to michhiker28Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Happy Birthday Kathryn!

Love Mom and Dad
Fierofreak00

Feedback score:    (20)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 170
Rate this member

Report this Post06-10-2012 09:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Fierofreak00Send a Private Message to Fierofreak00Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'd also like to wish you a Happy Birthday Kathryn! I won't be long now and you'll be drving you Fiero!
benoitmalenfant

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-10-2012 09:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for benoitmalenfantSend a Private Message to benoitmalenfantEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Happy b-day Kathryn!

I found this thread yesterday (can't believe I hadn't noticed it before!) and I cannot say how impressed I am to see a young lady show such tremendous dedication to a big project like this one.

I'm glad to see your project picked-up some media attention, you sure deserve all the attention you are getting. I'm really glad you'll be getting a hand from 3M you sure deserve everything good that is happening for this project!

I also want to congratulate Mom and Dad, obviously you guys did something right in raising your kids!

Keep up the good work Kathryn you really are an inspiration for everyone here and I'm hoping that my kids will be as dedicated as you are in their endeavors, that would make me the happiest dad on earth!

------------------
--
Ben // '87 GT

[This message has been edited by benoitmalenfant (edited 06-10-2012).]

PFF
System Bot
Wild Horse

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-10-2012 12:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Wild HorseSend a Private Message to Wild HorseEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Happy Birthday Kathryn, I hope this day brings you everything you have been hoping for

Wild horse

------------------

MadMark

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-10-2012 01:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MadMarkSend a Private Message to MadMarkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Happy birthday Kathryn. May you have many more and I hope you are enjoying your build since many of us old guys are truly enjoying all the posts and the attention that you truly deserve.
ChuckLS1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-10-2012 03:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ChuckLS1Send a Private Message to ChuckLS1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Happy Birthday Kathryn!!

------------------
Chuck
88 Formula W/fastback
2000 Grand Prix GTP

ARKaiser

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post06-10-2012 05:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ARKaiserSend a Private Message to ARKaiserEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Happy Birthday

Sometime when you are in Lansing stop by the OReilly's on W Saginaw and say hi. I'll see that there is a present there for you.
michhiker28

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-10-2012 05:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for michhiker28Send a Private Message to michhiker28Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I am sure that Kathryn will be on sometime tonight to say thanks for all her well wishes. A quick update. :-)

She got a lot of nice cards and happy birthday wishes from family and friends. It was a pretty good 14th birthday I think. A few highlights as it relates to her Fiero might be in order. I'll post some pics and some of my thoughts and I am sure she will comment as well.

A very fun gift from a former Fiero plant employee included some quality awards, a Fiero clock given to the employees, and the fiero fender protectors given to those employees.

A great big thank you to Jim and the crew from Fiero Fiberglass. You may remember that they had sent a certificate for Kathryn's choice of side scoop panels. She went with the Munson design

they also sent a new set of their tapered GT ground effects that are going to look awesome!

http://www.fierofiberglass....s/GroundEffects.html

with her new F355 bumper :-)

AWESOME!

Her Mom and I also had the following made for her own fun and also for her appearance at the Makers Faire next moonth. Some "The Girl that Played with Fiero's" items including a hat, shirt, work apron with tool pouches, and CD case

and then with some help from the guys at Oil City Sales and Salvage we have the following:

Yep, that is the new heart and soul of Kathryn's project...3.4 PR...now for some machining, a new cam, and if Kathryn has her way either a turbo or some NOS!

Also a big thank you that sent well wishes to Kathryn and continue to support her throughout the project. A few of you also contributed some $ to her project for her birthday and again thank you so much. Kathryn is planning on using those $ towards machining on the new engine or a new cam.

As a complete aside for Kathryn's birthday, there have been a number of individuals that have talked about Kathryn's mom and I. I just want to take a few words to say how very fortunate and blessed we are to have her as a daughter. She teaches us new things every day and is a genuine pleasure. We sure do love you KK!

-MH (aka Kathryn's Dad)

snowblindburd

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-10-2012 05:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for snowblindburdSend a Private Message to snowblindburdEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Happy Birthday!! Can't say I've ever gotten an engine for my birthday, that rocks!

------------------

1990 Pontiac Sunbird /// 1995 Beretta Base /// betty progress

[This message has been edited by snowblindburd (edited 06-10-2012).]

kathryn

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-10-2012 07:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for kathrynClick Here to visit kathryn's HomePageSend a Private Message to kathrynEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hi everyone, and i want to give a big shout out to Fiero fiberglass, my friend's that sent me my engine, and my other friend's that sent me my employee given gifts!!!! It's been a great birthday thanks to all of you and i just want to say thank you all for making this so memorable! (I mean it's not every day you can say "Hey i got an engine for my birthday It was soo much fun, and i got so many amazing things, thank you everyone, for all your support and encouragement, and for those of you who gave your time and gifts to supporting my project. You are all truly amazing and i am so happy to be a part of our Fiero Community!
It's been a great birthday thanks again!
-kathryn
JimmyS

Feedback score:    (31)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 124
Rate this member

Report this Post06-10-2012 07:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JimmySClick Here to visit JimmyS's HomePageSend a Private Message to JimmySEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Happy Birthday and your very welcome.

Dan and I look forward to seeing your progress.

------------------

Click here for all your Fiberglass part needs

California Kid

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-10-2012 11:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for California KidSend a Private Message to California KidEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Happy Birthday Kathryn ! It's great to see a party come off this well !
RWDPLZ

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 303
Rate this member

Report this Post06-10-2012 11:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RWDPLZClick Here to visit RWDPLZ's HomePageSend a Private Message to RWDPLZEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by michhiker28:

Yep, that is the new heart and soul of Kathryn's project...3.4 PR...now for some machining, a new cam, and if Kathryn has her way either a turbo or some NOS!

NICE! My birthday was about a week ago, and all I got was a Fiero Hot Wheels car.
PFF
System Bot
Wild Horse

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-11-2012 06:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Wild HorseSend a Private Message to Wild HorseEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I don't see a bow on the engine!!! Was it gift wrapped?
carnut122

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-11-2012 08:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for carnut122Send a Private Message to carnut122Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Happy Birthday! 2 more years to D (L)-Day? One more until D (P) -Day? So, when you finish the car before next year, are you going to let your dad and uncle take it for a spin before you get your permit?
rambozotheclown

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-12-2012 01:07 AM Click Here to See the Profile for rambozotheclownSend a Private Message to rambozotheclownEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
late happy birthday, Kathryn! and early happy fathers day to Jerry
J-Holland

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-14-2012 08:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for J-HollandSend a Private Message to J-HollandEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Bump
michhiker28

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-16-2012 03:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for michhiker28Send a Private Message to michhiker28Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
We are up north with Kathryn's sister's soccer team this weekend. So updates will be forthcoming shortly.

--MH
Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post06-16-2012 07:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
What a nice story to read. Just goes to show everyone what a little bit of money and a whole lot of youthful exhuberance and determination can accomplish.

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP /Frozen Boost Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Powerlog manifold, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Flotech Afterburner Exhaust, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

crashyoung

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-16-2012 11:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for crashyoungSend a Private Message to crashyoungEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
My 12 YO grandson saw my Fiero for the first time last friday, I think he was impressed.
Next, I will give him a ride in it and see if the bug hits!
Wild Horse

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-17-2012 06:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Wild HorseSend a Private Message to Wild HorseEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Here is the NPR program with Kathryn!
One For The Road: Teen Builds Her Own Pontiac Fiero

------------------

carnut122

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-17-2012 07:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for carnut122Send a Private Message to carnut122Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Wild Horse:

Here is the NPR program with Kathryn!
One For The Road: Teen Builds Her Own Pontiac Fiero

Wild Horse, thanks for posting the link. I had to perform my "daddy duty" and go out to eat with the family (like they had to twist my arm), so I missed it on the radio. . Kathryn, I enjoyed listening in.
This thread has been moved here: The Construction Zone.
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 44 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18   19   20   21   22   23   24   25   26   27   28   29   30   31   32   33   34   35   36   37   38   39   40   41   42   43   44 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock