Thread Closed  Topic Closed
  Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat
  12 year olds and cars - Kathryn's Fiero (Page 14)

Printable Version

This topic is 44 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18   19   20   21   22   23   24   25   26   27   28   29   30   31   32   33   34   35   36   37   38   39   40   41   42   43   44 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
This thread has been moved here: The Construction Zone.
12 year olds and cars - Kathryn's Fiero by michhiker28
Started on: 04-18-2011 04:37 PM
Replies: 1742 (1027767 views)
Last post by: Cliff Pennock on 02-13-2024 03:58 AM
WhiteDevil88

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 497
User Banned

Report this Post04-22-2012 10:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for WhiteDevil88Send a Private Message to WhiteDevil88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Wow, Kathryn. I thought I was consumed by the car bug when I was 14. But I was just a nerd who read a lot of car magazines. What you are achieving will carry with you for life, giving you strength and confidence - something young ladies can never have too much of in our society. I think you are completely awesome. Just had to post so I could follow your progress. I know your dad and mom must be bursting with pride.
IP: Logged
michhiker28

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-22-2012 07:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for michhiker28Send a Private Message to michhiker28Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
kathryn

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-22-2012 08:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for kathrynClick Here to visit kathryn's HomePageSend a Private Message to kathrynEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
hey again!!!
yes, i did get to have fun Friday night!!! let's just sum it up and say anything to do with lots of spark i did!
so those links are video to the project, and let's just say tacking even with a MIG welder is difficult!
Thank you again everybody!! also i'm still trying to clean up my headlight motors...any suggestions?
oh and by the way....i'm not doing a chop top! I'm not particularly fond of the work i'd have to do A, and B i'm not that fond of the look either.
however i'm seriously looking into doing Lambo Doors!
-kathryn
Wild Horse

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-22-2012 08:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Wild HorseSend a Private Message to Wild HorseEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Kathryn

Your welds are looking real nice, you are getting the hang of it fast!
California Kid

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 274
Rate this member

Report this Post04-22-2012 09:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for California KidSend a Private Message to California KidEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for keeping us updated with your progress and taking time to video as well. As far as the headlamps, since you've got time, you may want to consider a "flush" mount design. Realize this is an added expense, but the original lamp design sucks for aerodynamics, their like air dams when up. Quite a few people here on the Forum have come up with alternate lighting, just do a search on "flush mount lamps". If you want to stay "original" that's OK to, just suggesting another option.
sco77

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-22-2012 09:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sco77Send a Private Message to sco77Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
This thread is amazing, wish I would have had a project car when I was a kid and the parents and funds to be able to build it. It's nice to see after a year the motivation and interest hasn't decreased. It's a great educational and life experience that you will remember.

Have you considered if you will keep stock engine or not?

------------------
86 Fiero GT 4spd - Stock (new to me)
98 GTP - CAI, ZZP 304 3" DP, 304 PLOG, 3.5", Overkill PCM, PRJ wires, Autolite 605s, 180*, STB, Alt rewire, Projectors, 6000k HID, 12" Brakes, GMPP

nitroheadz28

Feedback score:    (26)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 94
Rate this member

Report this Post04-22-2012 10:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for nitroheadz28Send a Private Message to nitroheadz28Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by kathryn:

hey again!!!
yes, i did get to have fun Friday night!!! let's just sum it up and say anything to do with lots of spark i did!
so those links are video to the project, and let's just say tacking even with a MIG welder is difficult!
-kathryn

I haven't touched a welder in my life (not by choice, not much space+ don't have my own work space), I'm amazed with your progress. I think your parents are the envy of everyone on here who wishes they grew up with such supportive folks, and you're the envy of every parent on here who wishes their kid wasn't a lazy bum haha.
Dodgerunner

Feedback score:    (61)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 323
Rate this member

Report this Post04-22-2012 10:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DodgerunnerClick Here to visit Dodgerunner's HomePageSend a Private Message to DodgerunnerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hey Kathryn I'd also suggest you wear a dust mask while grinding. There is a lot of fine grit that comes off the wheels and it's just better not to inhale it.

My daughter's name is Kaeleen and I got her interested enough that she could change oil and spare tires that the boys at school did not know to do. She also has never been afraid to take on anything she was interested in. While dissecting a cows eye in school she decided to be an optometrist and is now in her second year of becoming a doctor.

What I'm saying is that your doing a fantastic job. Not being afraid to jump into any project and just using your common sense and thinking it through will take you far in life.

You might find this interesting. a young lady here in Lincoln trained in welding and auto collision industry and got interested in art. Some of her work is really fantastic in it's depth.. My favorite is Copper Reflections II. The photos don't do them justice at all.

http://www.motionmetals.blogspot.com/

[This message has been edited by Dodgerunner (edited 04-22-2012).]

jetsnvettes2000

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-22-2012 11:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jetsnvettes2000Send a Private Message to jetsnvettes2000Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by JimmyS:

Kathryn,

Since you are learning welding... Chop Top that sucker!

Im with Jimmy!!! If I can do it you should have no prob doing it too!!!
California Kid

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-23-2012 07:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for California KidSend a Private Message to California KidEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Just a note that when you have all the new metal in, and are done grinding, you want to use a metal prep phosphate liquid to treat the metal before painting. This creates a crystalline structure on the steel surface which provides greatly improved paint adhesion. Local Auto Painter's Supply or Bump Shop Supply house will have the liquid solution. It's real easy to do and worth the time to do it right. Since your putting all the hard work to repair the rusted out section, you may as well do the best you can to prevent the rust from coming back. It occurred to me that while you appear to be using plain steel for the patches, be aware that the factory panels are galvanized steel, and they will let off toxic gases when welded. So it would be best to wear a respirator when welding, and as said above when grinding. Realize you're just doing small areas, but better to be safe at your age, than sorry down the road.

[This message has been edited by California Kid (edited 04-23-2012).]

Pete Matos

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-23-2012 08:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Pete MatosSend a Private Message to Pete MatosEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Kathryn,
Hey great job on the welding. It is not easy to do and even grown men I try to teach cannot pick it right up sometimes. You seem to be getting it tho. I would also recommend getting a welding respirator or at least a welding mask to keep the toxic fumes out of your lungs. They are not expensive and can be reused quite a bit before they are no good. I think the last pack I bought was like $25.00 or so for a bunch of them. They also work for grinding and cutting. Patching thin sheetmetal panels is one of the more difficult things to master on a car and if you can do that you are really getting talented. Welding is something that will open up a whole world of creative opportunities for you in the future. Keep up the good work there and good luck. peace

Pete

PFF
System Bot
michhiker28

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-24-2012 07:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for michhiker28Send a Private Message to michhiker28Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Here is a link from the local paper today.
http://www.themorningsun.co...bda6346061060231.txt

-MH
Synthesis

Feedback score:    (19)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 295
Rate this member

Report this Post04-24-2012 11:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SynthesisSend a Private Message to SynthesisEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That was a great read! They did a great job with the story, with the exception of the "sanding to bare metal" comment.
Wild Horse

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-24-2012 07:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Wild HorseSend a Private Message to Wild HorseEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Great story on the Morning Sun, Congrats Kathryn, you deserve the recognition!
Wild Horse

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-24-2012 08:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Wild HorseSend a Private Message to Wild HorseEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Wild Horse

47 posts
Member since Apr 2012
Mike Rowe from Dirty Jobs says "Anyone who has restored a car knows it is a tough, dirty job, but Kathryn DiMaria has been up to the challenge and made a goal to have the vehicle ready for her sixteenth birthday. ~ Good going Kathryn!"

Mike Rowes article
Marine1981

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-24-2012 10:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Marine1981Click Here to visit Marine1981's HomePageSend a Private Message to Marine1981Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Nice!!
85LAMB

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-24-2012 10:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 85LAMBSend a Private Message to 85LAMBEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by kathryn:

however i'm seriously looking into doing Lambo Doors!
-kathryn

Kathryn keep up the good work

Here is a link to Car-lo's build tread, he installed lambo doors on his car
Looking through it will give you an idea of what it takes

//www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum3/HTML/000129.html
Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post04-25-2012 09:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Kathryn: I just began reading this thread and you are one amazing girl to take on this project AND achieve results. Keep at it and you will have one nice little sports car to drive around in when you reach 16. We have a few girls on this forum that own Fieros but outside of Tina (and another girl that I cannot remember) I haven't seen many attempt anything like what you are doing. If I had a daughter I would hope that she would be just like you. Keep up the fantastic work and enjoy the hobby. Your project is an inspiration to many.

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Flotech Afterburner Exhaust, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

calvinthedestroyer

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-25-2012 11:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for calvinthedestroyerClick Here to visit calvinthedestroyer's HomePageSend a Private Message to calvinthedestroyerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hi Kathryn
What a cool project, keep up the good work.

My friend and I did a 2.5l to 3.4l swap in his Fiero. The biggest problem we had was getting my dad to let us use his garage!

I have some pictures of it on my site ( http://dsprototyping.com/pr...Goresfiero/gores.htm ) Not sure if it will help you out, but feal free to ask me any questions.

Not that you'll have any, you seem to have the hang of car rebuilding.
Kento

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 131
Rate this member

Report this Post04-26-2012 08:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for KentoSend a Private Message to KentoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by MetroMightyMouse:

Hey Kathryn, keep the spirit!! I am a fellow "got to do it all myself" car crafter, and a bit of a mad scientist by necessity as I have a 95 Geo Metro (Mighty Mouse) and very little is available to purchase. I did have an idea for your paint scheme that combines your original design with the ideas you are leaning toward. If you want to keep your yellow racing stripes on the hood and have a Pegasus, you can alternate the color as it goes across the stripe. So you would have a yellow or ghosted black / yellow Pegasus on the hood that shifts to black or ghosted yellow / black over the stripe.

Good luck and great work so far, so many people are too afraid to even try just a small portion of what you've done and you have had admirable success.
MMM
Jon

Visit teamswift.net and you will see a lot of ideas and parts that are available for the beloved little Metro where 3 = 8

------------------

88 Formula CJB Arrived Finally. #689 of 1252
Time to start Working TONY!
There are Two kinds of Fiero's : Notchies and Donors!

michhiker28

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-26-2012 12:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for michhiker28Send a Private Message to michhiker28Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
She has a TV interview that will be on RightThisMinute airing on 47 TV stations around the country today. Here is a link:
http://www.rightthisminute....irst-car-12-year-old

-MH
PFF
System Bot
Wild Horse

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-26-2012 12:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Wild HorseSend a Private Message to Wild HorseEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Great interview Kathryn!!
MetroMightyMouse

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-26-2012 01:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MetroMightyMouseSend a Private Message to MetroMightyMouseEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Kento:

Visit teamswift.net and you will see a lot of ideas and parts that are available for the beloved little Metro where 3 = 8

Well aware of Teamswift, great site, but parts for Metros/ Swifts compared to many other cars (Fieros for example) are limited. Thanks though.

Kathryn and MH,
something I thought of when looking at some of the photos, did you stress relieve the crack in the fender when you repaired it? I don't have any personal experience with a repaired crack reforming but I have read about it enough times that there seems to be something to it. Apparently, to keep the crack from cracking past and through the repair you drill a hole at the end of the crack and that prevents it.
Very poised interview by the way.
Good luck!!
MMM
Jon

------------------
http://x9a.xanga.com/b2088b...042683/z22293157.jpg

RWDPLZ

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 303
Rate this member

Report this Post04-26-2012 01:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RWDPLZClick Here to visit RWDPLZ's HomePageSend a Private Message to RWDPLZEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Rallaster

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 84
Rate this member

Report this Post04-26-2012 07:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RallasterSend a Private Message to RallasterEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by RWDPLZ:

*cool 80's pic*

I'm stealing this. Can I steal this? kthxbai!
Formula88

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 554
Rate this member

Report this Post04-26-2012 10:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula88Send a Private Message to Formula88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by michhiker28:

Here is a link from the local paper today.
http://www.themorningsun.co...bda6346061060231.txt

-MH

After she started the job, she said, she soon realized that when a previous owner repainted it, he or she simply applied spray paint over the existing paint job. She is currently sanding the entire thing back down to bare metal so that when she can correctly apply her own desired paint scheme – black and yellow.

NOOO! Don't keep sanding 'till you hit metal!!!

ChuckLS1

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-29-2012 03:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ChuckLS1Send a Private Message to ChuckLS1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
bump
michhiker28

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-30-2012 04:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for michhiker28Send a Private Message to michhiker28Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Curious as to what everyone's thoughts are.

Kathryn was invited to be a presenter at The Henry Ford 2012 Maker Faire this July. You can find a link to what it is all about here:
http://makerfaire.com/

Or....we could head over to the 3rd annual Tyler Show in MN.

What are everyones thoughts and votes? What would you do?

-MH
Synthesis

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-30-2012 05:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SynthesisSend a Private Message to SynthesisEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That is entirely up to you guys.

I'm a HUGE fan of the Tyler show. It has a lot of emotional meaning for me, as well as it is a blast to attend. Veg out for the weekend with a great group of people. No pressure.

But, the opportunity to be a presenter at the Henry Ford 2012 Maker Faire is a once in a lifetime event, plus it is relatively local to you guys...

I know I'd be honored to shake Kathryn's hand if she were to show up at the Tyler Show, and could even use some pointers on rust repair from her.

mrfred8

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-30-2012 07:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mrfred8Click Here to visit mrfred8's HomePageSend a Private Message to mrfred8Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Kathryn was invited to be a presenter at The Henry Ford 2012 Maker Faire this July. You can find a link to what it is all about here:

-MH

My vote would be for the Shipman show.

------------------
--Jeff aka mrfred8
88 Yellow GT

DavidLee

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-30-2012 07:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DavidLeeClick Here to visit DavidLee's HomePageSend a Private Message to DavidLeeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hi Mich (and Kathyrn),

I just learned of your project online, and read your posts. As someone that works in the automotive repair industry, I am happy to see a new generation of restoration enthusiasts! I work for 3M Company's Automotive Aftermarket Division, which provides a variety of products and solutions to the restoration and collision repair industries, and it is possible that I may be able to provide you some help. Mich, if you are interested, please contact me via a private message on this forum. You can also see our products and services on our website, http://3MCollision.com. And, keep up the good work!

David Lee
PFF
System Bot
rambozotheclown

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-30-2012 07:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rambozotheclownSend a Private Message to rambozotheclownEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

-MH

that's awesome! no offense to Tyler's memory or family, but if I could only choose one, I would do the presentation.. the Shipman show will be around next year and like someone said, this is probably a once in a lifetime opportunity. but if you get a chance to do both, go for it!

Synthesis

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-30-2012 08:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SynthesisSend a Private Message to SynthesisEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by DavidLee:

Hi Mich (and Kathyrn),

I just learned of your project online, and read your posts. As someone that works in the automotive repair industry, I am happy to see a new generation of restoration enthusiasts! I work for 3M Company's Automotive Aftermarket Division, which provides a variety of products and solutions to the restoration and collision repair industries, and it is possible that I may be able to provide you some help. Mich, if you are interested, please contact me via a private message on this forum. You can also see our products and services on our website, http://3MCollision.com. And, keep up the good work!

David Lee

As a former 3M-er, I can also state that these products are top notch.

Sounds like Kathryn has her first official sponsor..
Vernon8360

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-30-2012 08:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Vernon8360Send a Private Message to Vernon8360Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm in total agreement with Synthesis. I also think the opportunity to present is a once in a life time opportunity and you should take advantage of it. As I suggested a few pages back, if my arithmetic is correct, you will be 16 in 2014, just in time for the 5th annual Tyler Shipman show. Since I am planning to return to Frazee for the 5th and I too would like to meet you and your parents, I hope you decide to christen your Fiero and your license with a leisurely drive to Northern Minnesota. But then, I'm selfish that way. Have your parents bring one of their 'vettes and we'll put a sign in the back of their window that says:" My Real Car is a Fiero"

------------------
1988 GT
Manual
Medium Red Metallic
Gray Leather
K Beck LEDs

[This message has been edited by Vernon8360 (edited 04-30-2012).]

California Kid

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-30-2012 08:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for California KidSend a Private Message to California KidEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Since you asked, I think Henry Ford would be the best choice, and better exposure for Kathryn.
carnut122

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 83
Rate this member

Report this Post04-30-2012 10:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for carnut122Send a Private Message to carnut122Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
200,000 views! I vote on the Maker Faire! Keep on rocking!
Wild Horse

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-01-2012 12:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Wild HorseSend a Private Message to Wild HorseEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
My vote would be the Maker Faire, What an unbelievable opportunity for Kathryn

------------------
Here to support Kathryn's Fiero, You inspire us all

Marine1981

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-01-2012 12:11 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Marine1981Click Here to visit Marine1981's HomePageSend a Private Message to Marine1981Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
My vote is the Maker Faire. Keep up the good work!!
sadie goad

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-01-2012 08:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sadie goadSend a Private Message to sadie goadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I just caught up on your thread, and I must say that I am still so impressed by everything you have accomplished, Kathryn. I'm looking forward to your 14th birthday and seeing what awesome things you get to work on in the next year!

------------------

I'm a poor college student because I modify my cars!

Wild Horse

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-03-2012 04:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Wild HorseSend a Private Message to Wild HorseEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Bump
This thread has been moved here: The Construction Zone.
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 44 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18   19   20   21   22   23   24   25   26   27   28   29   30   31   32   33   34   35   36   37   38   39   40   41   42   43   44 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock