Started on: 04-15-2011 11:35 PM
Replies: 476 (14454 views)
Last post by: mattwa on 07-28-2013 01:26 PM
mattwa

Feedback score:    (41)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 88
Rate this member

Report this Post09-17-2011 07:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mattwaSend a Private Message to mattwaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
No kidding, There is a reason why I'm doing this. All the shops around here won't touch my Fiero because 1. There are two different suspensions on it (86 front, 88 rear) and 2. I was told the front right lower ball joint was loose (main reason). I didn't feel any looseness myself, though. I have all new ball joints, and poly bushings waiting for the front suspension, but I haven't gotten to it and I don't know when I will able to, I'm putting Goldie away for winter anyway. So It will be sometime next year most likely.

So, I don't want to get an alignment now, then have to do it AGAIN when I totally rip apart the front suspension sometime next year, because I know it will be thrown off just like the rear suspension was the first time.

Edit: Page 9 ownage!

[This message has been edited by mattwa (edited 09-17-2011).]

IP: Logged
mattwa

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-19-2011 11:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for mattwaSend a Private Message to mattwaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
My fuel pump is still making the bad noise, but it does work and the 4.9 runs just fine, so I'm not going to drop the tank right now. I'll see if it goes away or not. Maybe this has something to do with my non-working gas gauge.

[This message has been edited by mattwa (edited 10-02-2011).]

mattwa

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-09-2011 12:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for mattwaSend a Private Message to mattwaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
A few days ago the fuel pump started acting normally again. So weird. I also put a better set of tires/rims on the rear, as the those ones were just too dangerous to drive on.
mattwa

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-16-2011 10:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mattwaSend a Private Message to mattwaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I don't think much is going to happen this year, the weather is getting colder and I'm trying to focus on my college work. However the next year I plan on doing the complete front suspension overhaul I have all the parts for, just haven't done it yet. Then complete the IMSA decklid project, and maybe some aftermarket rims. This year was powertrain (finally), next year I'm thinking I want to focus more on the appearance. Visualize doublec4's awesome Fiero in Gold/Black and there you have it.
mattwa

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-22-2011 11:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for mattwaSend a Private Message to mattwaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
So I had one of my friends do a Photoshop for me and I personally think It's awesome, much better then I could have done.
This is doublec4's Fiero but Photoshopped Gold.

mattwa

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-31-2011 08:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mattwaSend a Private Message to mattwaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Good update today, I wanted a firmer shift for a while now, and today I screwed in the Vacuum Modulator 4-5 turns (in steps, not at one time) and the shifts are much more quick and responsive. I love it. However, I'm going to turn it even more because I want it even firmer.

EDIT: Don't anyone dare pull a "That's what she said" joke.

[This message has been edited by mattwa (edited 10-31-2011).]

N3M3S1S

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 51
Rate this member

Report this Post10-31-2011 10:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for N3M3S1SSend a Private Message to N3M3S1SEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That's what she said.
mattwa

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-31-2011 10:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mattwaSend a Private Message to mattwaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by N3M3S1S:

That's what she said.

I knew it.
VikingRedBaron

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-31-2011 11:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for VikingRedBaronSend a Private Message to VikingRedBaronEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Matt can`t, hes a little short on that end !!!
mattwa

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-01-2011 01:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mattwaSend a Private Message to mattwaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yea, ok, I'm not short in several ways.

[This message has been edited by mattwa (edited 12-15-2011).]

mattwa

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-15-2011 09:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mattwaSend a Private Message to mattwaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Update! Goldie is getting a new radio! It's an Pioneer DEH-6300UB, has USB and several other useful features. Hoping to put it in this weekend. Wiring has been mostly completed, as with the mounting into the GM space.

PFF
System Bot
secre7skw3rl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-16-2011 12:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for secre7skw3rlSend a Private Message to secre7skw3rlEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Is the Diffuser I see photoshopped in there actually in the plans?
mattwa

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-16-2011 01:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mattwaSend a Private Message to mattwaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by secre7skw3rl:

Is the Diffuser I see photoshopped in there actually in the plans?

No it wasn't, but I might try adding something like that someday.

I installed my new radio today! It's so awesome!

And just a shot of Goldie herself just now-

[This message has been edited by mattwa (edited 11-16-2011).]

fiero al

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-16-2011 11:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fiero alSend a Private Message to fiero alEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
radio looks good Matt.
mattwa

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-16-2011 11:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mattwaSend a Private Message to mattwaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fiero al:

radio looks good Matt.

Thanks! I love it! It even tells me the song/artist that is currently playing on the radio.
mattwa

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-11-2011 08:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mattwaSend a Private Message to mattwaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I changed Goldie's oil today since It was overdue. I spent some time under it inspecting everything. I really need to get that Allante starter for it, my current starter suffers from heat soak when going on long trips, it looks nasty, and it's kinda rigged because I broke the OEM plastic solenoid on it. The Allante has a smaller and lighter gear reduction starter like 98+ 3800's, compared to like the 2.8/Duke/ and 4.9 starters which are a brick.
The other problem that I found was my exhaust manifold melted though most of my throttle cable. I tied it up, and it still works ok, but still.
Hulki U. My-BFF

Feedback score:    (25)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 248
Rate this member

Report this Post12-11-2011 09:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Hulki U. My-BFFSend a Private Message to Hulki U. My-BFFEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Goldie is really coming along, Matt. And you are absolutely right about those gear reduction starters being much lighter. I replaced one on my Blazer the other day, and it was a night and day difference in weight. Are you parking Goldie for the winter soon, or are you going to keep driving her for a while?
mattwa

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-11-2011 09:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mattwaSend a Private Message to mattwaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Hulki U. My-BFF:

Goldie is really coming along, Matt. And you are absolutely right about those gear reduction starters being much lighter. I replaced one on my Blazer the other day, and it was a night and day difference in weight. Are you parking Goldie for the winter soon, or are you going to keep driving her for a while?

I wish, I was going to drive Skye for the winter, but since that didn't work out, it looks like I'm going to drive her in the winter. But we will see, I'm not sure if she can do it with crappy rear tires because of the bad alignment, which I was going to wait to do until I re-did my whole front suspension next year, but who knows.
N3M3S1S

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 51
Rate this member

Report this Post12-11-2011 09:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for N3M3S1SSend a Private Message to N3M3S1SEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I still love your guages. Radio looks good too.
mattwa

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-13-2011 02:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for mattwaSend a Private Message to mattwaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks! They really are an awesome and unique upgrade, getting in a stock Fiero feels very different now, I'm just so "used" to the Speedhut gauges since It's my DD pretty much right now.

[This message has been edited by mattwa (edited 12-15-2011).]

mattwa

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-17-2011 10:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mattwaSend a Private Message to mattwaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Not a good day. I went off in Goldie to go to pull-a-part today. Today was the first major snowfall that I have driven in this winter season. All was good until the snow started sticking to the ground and turned into slush etc. After that point, I was done. I had NO control, the rear end started swaying badly on the highway, I slowed down to 30mph with my blinkers on and I still was badly swaying, so I turned around and went home. Then the check engine light came on during the way back, and when I got home, I saw that I somehow somewhere (most likely in the shoulder on the highway, I went to that area first) I got a nail in one of my good FRONT tires, and it was leaking air. So now I have an un-driveable car with two worn out rear tires (one already slowly leaking air), bad alignment, and a flat front tire. WTF.
AND whenever I tried to stop with a little more then normal pressure, the front brakes lock up. I KNEW it, my rear brakes are still crap for some reason and my fronts are doing more then they should be, rear rotors are still somewhat rusty on the outer edges of were the pad goes. Only thing I can think at this point since I looked at every damn thing else is the master cylinder being inbalanced because of the Grand am brakes in the front and stock 88 in the rear. What a disaster.

[This message has been edited by mattwa (edited 12-17-2011).]

PFF
System Bot
jtsordel

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-18-2011 12:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jtsordelSend a Private Message to jtsordelEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Can I ask a silly question? Where is this Vacuum Modulator thingy? I am slowly completing my 4.9/4T60E swap with Fieroseverywhere and quicker/firmer shifts would be great from the get-go. Though I am still considering taking olejoe's advice an pulling a transmission from an Eldorado for the better FDR (there's a 94 at my local Pick n Pull).

Anyway, thanks in advance.

Josh
mattwa

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-18-2011 12:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for mattwaSend a Private Message to mattwaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by jtsordel:

Can I ask a silly question? Where is this Vacuum Modulator thingy? I am slowly completing my 4.9/4T60E swap with Fieroseverywhere and quicker/firmer shifts would be great from the get-go. Though I am still considering taking olejoe's advice an pulling a transmission from an Eldorado for the better FDR (there's a 94 at my local Pick n Pull).

Anyway, thanks in advance.

Josh

It's where the vacuum line goes to the transmission, front of the transmission near the bellhousing. I bought the aftermarket adjustable type; the factory modulator is not adjustable.
nitroheadz28

Feedback score:    (26)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 94
Rate this member

Report this Post12-18-2011 01:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for nitroheadz28Send a Private Message to nitroheadz28Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
All of that sucks, but at least you didn't wreck it
jtsordel

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-18-2011 02:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jtsordelSend a Private Message to jtsordelEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Do you happen to have a part number or anything for it? Much obliged.

Thanks!!!

Josh
mattwa

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-18-2011 12:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mattwaSend a Private Message to mattwaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by jtsordel:

Do you happen to have a part number or anything for it? Much obliged.

Thanks!!!

Josh

No I do not, however you can search for it for a 4T60e online and I'm sure you'll find one.
phonedawgz

Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 290
Rate this member

Report this Post12-18-2011 02:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for phonedawgzClick Here to visit phonedawgz's HomePageSend a Private Message to phonedawgzEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by mattwa:

Does that alternator wire get warm/hot when your battery is discharged?
mattwa

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-18-2011 03:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mattwaSend a Private Message to mattwaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Never felt it, but I don't have any charging problems. Why, look a bit small?
phonedawgz

Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 290
Rate this member

Report this Post12-18-2011 03:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for phonedawgzClick Here to visit phonedawgz's HomePageSend a Private Message to phonedawgzEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It looks small to me.

A140 Amp Caddy Alternator should have at least a 10ga wire. That wire looks smaller than 10 ga from what I can see.

http://www.tessco.com/yts/i...ired.html#wire_table

I think if you started with a deeply discharged battery it would get hot after a bit.

[This message has been edited by phonedawgz (edited 12-18-2011).]

mattwa

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-18-2011 03:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mattwaSend a Private Message to mattwaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Never had any problems with it, most likely because I never use even close to 140 amps in a Fiero. But I'll look into it.

[This message has been edited by mattwa (edited 12-18-2011).]

Vernon8360

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-19-2011 09:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Vernon8360Send a Private Message to Vernon8360Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Haven't checked this thread for a while. In spite of some of the mechanical frustrations you're having, your work on Goldie is progressing nicely. Study hard and do well on your finals. Merry Christmas to you and your parents.

------------------
1988 GT
Manual
Medium Red Metallic
Gray Leather
K Beck LEDs

PFF
System Bot
mattwa

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-19-2011 11:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mattwaSend a Private Message to mattwaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Vernon8360:

Haven't checked this thread for a while. In spite of some of the mechanical frustrations you're having, your work on Goldie is progressing nicely. Study hard and do well on your finals. Merry Christmas to you and your parents.

Thanks Art, however finals have been over for more then a week now. Merry Christmas to you and your family as well!

Carnage picture-

I have been busy on the other project, but I plan on putting on different rims, and take the adjustable link(s) off the 88 cradle so I can fix the bad toe problem back there. My brake system also needs help, so It's going to get totally redone. The balance is off from having the Grand Am in the front and stock 88 in the rear with the bigger Master Cylinder.

[This message has been edited by mattwa (edited 12-19-2011).]

secre7skw3rl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-20-2011 12:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for secre7skw3rlSend a Private Message to secre7skw3rlEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If it helps at all, the fronts on my formula lock up before the rears also. I thought it was normal cuz theres not any weight really coming down on them.
mattwa

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-20-2011 12:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for mattwaSend a Private Message to mattwaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by secre7skw3rl:

If it helps at all, the fronts on my formula lock up before the rears also. I thought it was normal cuz theres not any weight really coming down on them.

Well yes, they are designed to do that, but my case is pretty extreme, my fronts are taking all force, and the back ones aren't doing much. I discussed this in detail in my thread in Tech.
//www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/120218.html

[This message has been edited by mattwa (edited 12-20-2011).]

mattwa

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-20-2011 09:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mattwaSend a Private Message to mattwaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

mattwa

7106 posts
Member since Sep 2008
Well, I got alot done today on Goldie. Long story short, I took off the rear adjustable links, freed them up (they were quite seized) and adjusted both of them out, since I had really bad toe in. One is perfect now, the other I can tell has a smudge of toe out. No alignment needed now till I rebuild my front suspension! Since all the tires are crap anyway, I put on my 14's for now, and I'm going to scrap the 15's. I know it's kind of a down-grade, but I have no money and these rims have nearly new tires in the rear and very good tires in the front.

[This message has been edited by mattwa (edited 12-22-2011).]

mattwa

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-22-2011 06:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mattwaSend a Private Message to mattwaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I guess this just isn't my week. I drove over to Alex's house today (very short drive), and it felt kinda weird in the back. Once I parked in his driveway and got out, what I saw was both shocking and..it pissed me off. The wheels were almost at a 45 degree angle, I had lost all of my camber! I don't get it, I didn't touch the strut bolts at all! I have never had an issue with them before. Maybe it's not even the problem, but who knows. I compared 3800 brackets, blah blah, then slowly drove home. When I got home, I bought out the big floor jack and proceeded to jack up the entire back end. Guess what happened, the wheels straightened themselves out as I jacked it up and took the weight off the wheels!! WTF! After checking for any looseness in the wheel (none that I could see), I lowered it back down again, and it still didn't change, the wheels are still straight. Makes no sense to me, guessing something is loose but what?! I tightened up everything really good on both sides while doing the "alignment".

[This message has been edited by mattwa (edited 01-01-2012).]

VikingRedBaron

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-22-2011 07:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for VikingRedBaronSend a Private Message to VikingRedBaronEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hey Buddy !!!

Don`t let it get you down, some days just suck, some days don`t.

For what you have accomplished with your car in the time you have done it, you have NOTHING to hang your head about.

As for the camber, when you let it back down, did you drive it? Even if out and back in the garage?

Not sure what to make of this new twist of fate tho.

Keep you head up and take a couple days break from the cars, its Christmas anyways !!!

Merry Christmas Matt !!!

mattwa

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-22-2011 07:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mattwaSend a Private Message to mattwaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by VikingRedBaron:

Hey Buddy !!!

Don`t let it get you down, some days just suck, some days don`t.

For what you have accomplished with your car in the time you have done it, you have NOTHING to hang your head about.

As for the camber, when you let it back down, did you drive it? Even if out and back in the garage?

Not sure what to make of this new twist of fate tho.

Keep you head up and take a couple days break from the cars, its Christmas anyways !!!

Merry Christmas Matt !!!

Thanks for the kind words. No I didn't, but if I did drive it a short ways to Alex's house again I would have to guess the same thing would happen. So I need to get it in the garage and take one of the rear wheels off again and see what's up. Again.

Merry Christmas to you too!

[This message has been edited by mattwa (edited 12-22-2011).]

secre7skw3rl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-23-2011 01:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for secre7skw3rlSend a Private Message to secre7skw3rlEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Matt, hit me up tonight or over the weekend. I should be able to stop over and take a look, not sure if I'll find it but a second set of eyes sometimes catches things.
Capt Fiero

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 260
Rate this member

Report this Post12-23-2011 03:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Capt FieroClick Here to visit Capt Fiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to Capt FieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by mattwa:

I changed Goldie's oil today since It was overdue. I spent some time under it inspecting everything. I really need to get that Allante starter for it, my current starter suffers from heat soak when going on long trips, it looks nasty, and it's kinda rigged because I broke the OEM plastic solenoid on it. The Allante has a smaller and lighter gear reduction starter like 98+ 3800's, compared to like the 2.8/Duke/ and 4.9 starters which are a brick.
The other problem that I found was my exhaust manifold melted though most of my throttle cable. I tied it up, and it still works ok, but still.

I had a heat soak problem with my 4.9, I found a really easy and fairly cheap fix. I don't know if you have an local speed shops around. http://www.mopacautosupply.com However for about 18 bucks, I bought what is called a starter blanket. Shiny foil on one side and cloth on the other, and came with really fancy stainless steel zip ties. Wrapped it around the started tied it in place and no more heat soak issue, regardless of a long freeway drive, or sitting in down town city traffic for an hour. Car can be shut off and restarted without any problems at all.

------------------
85GT Soon to be 87GT,93 Eldorado 4.9, 5spd Dual O2 Custom Chip, Custom Exhaust. MSD Everything Capt Fiero --- My Over View Cadero Pics Yellow 88GT 5spd Full Poly Suspension, Lowered 1/2" in front, Corner Carver.

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 12 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock