Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat
  What's up at Outlaws Rod and Custom Shop ? (Page 1)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 3 pages long:  1   2   3 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
What's up at Outlaws Rod and Custom Shop ? by exoticse
Started on: 03-20-2011 11:11 PM
Replies: 98 (7751 views)
Last post by: qwikgta on 01-25-2014 01:10 PM
exoticse

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 108
Rate this member

Report this Post03-20-2011 11:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for exoticseSend a Private Message to exoticseEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
http://outlaws.smugmug.com/

Asa's (the owner) shop first coming to light on Pennocks after doing some outstanding paint work on forum member Jim88gt's custom choptop over in Virginia.

[This message has been edited by exoticse (edited 03-21-2011).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
exoticse

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-20-2011 11:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for exoticseSend a Private Message to exoticseEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Asa catching choptop fever after seeing Jim's car and having his team dive headfirst into a pair of choptop fiero widebodies.

[This message has been edited by exoticse (edited 03-20-2011).]

exoticse

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-20-2011 11:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for exoticseSend a Private Message to exoticseEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

exoticse

8649 posts
Member since Jun 2003

SoCal Jim

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-21-2011 12:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SoCal JimSend a Private Message to SoCal JimEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Is that a wide body kit being installed ?
Who makes it ?
Rear hatch kit or all fabbed up ?
And exactly where is Outlaws shop ?
Contact information for the folks ?

Thinking of taking the Pro-Street to the next level.

Let me know . . .
Jim www.jimsfiero.com
exoticse

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-21-2011 12:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for exoticseSend a Private Message to exoticseEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by SoCal Jim:

Is that a wide body kit being installed ?
Who makes it ?
Rear hatch kit or all fabbed up ?
And exactly where is Outlaws shop ?
Contact information for the folks ?

Thinking of taking the Pro-Street to the next level.

Let me know . . .
Jim www.jimsfiero.com

Outlaws Customs is in Norfolk, Virginia (link below).

Yes that is a widebody kit and custom rear hatch, both are sold by V-8 Archie (link Below)

http://www.v8archie.com/v8Archie/home.htm

Hulki U. My-BFF

Feedback score:    (25)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 248
Rate this member

Report this Post03-21-2011 05:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Hulki U. My-BFFSend a Private Message to Hulki U. My-BFFEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Wow, a shop that does chops only a few hours away?!! SWEEEEEET!!! Wonder how much just a standard chop costs.
SoCal Jim

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-21-2011 01:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SoCal JimSend a Private Message to SoCal JimEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Cool Thanks, In the process of moving to NC, should make this project easier.
outlaws

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-21-2011 08:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for outlawsClick Here to visit outlaws's HomePageSend a Private Message to outlawsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by exoticse:

Outlaws Customs is in Norfolk, Virginia (link below).

Yes that is a widebody kit and custom rear hatch, both are sold by V-8 Archie (link Below)

http://www.v8archie.com/v8Archie/home.htm

Thanks Exoticse!
I don't get on the computer as much as I would like. I appreciate your posting the pics from Jim's car and of ours.

An introduction is in order.
My name is Asa Wilson and I started Outlaws Rod & Custom in 2002 while still in the Navy. Originally from Amarillo, TX, spent most of my career here in Virginia Beach/Norfolk and decided to stay. I retired in 2004 after 23 years as a submarine nuke electrician and opened Outlaws full time.

We started out working mostly on Street Rods and Customs and now it has shifted more towards the Muscle car scene. I love working on Corvette's and the newer muscle cars also. We are installing an Edelbrock supercharger on a 2010 LS3 camaro SS as we speak! I have always loved Fiero's (I have had 7 or 8 of them) and after seeing Jim's 88 Choptop, knew that I had to have a choptop.

The hatchback of Archie's is not designed to be used with the choptop so after talking with him I decided to order one which was not assembled (not bonded together) so that I can modify it for the choptop. I love the look of Madcurls widebody choptop hatchback so that's what is inspiring this build. It has the 383 stroker that came out of Jim's car when he put the LS3 in. I am not really the hands on guy I used to be but will get down and dirty if I need to. Most of my day's are spent tracking down parts, speaking with customers, trying to pay the bills! I have a bunch of good guys that are great at what they do.

Anyway, stay tuned and give me a call if I can help in any way. Thanks for all the support!.

Asa

------------------
Asa Wilson
Outlaws Rod & Custom
http://outlawsrc.com

outlaws

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-21-2011 08:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for outlawsClick Here to visit outlaws's HomePageSend a Private Message to outlawsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

outlaws

54 posts
Member since Feb 2010
P.S. I like anything with wide tires!

This is my 2000 Corvette with 335/30-19's rear and 275/35-18's in the front on C6 Z06 wheels

This is my 67 Fastback Mustang with 335/30-18's rear and 255/40-17's in the front on Intro Pentia wheels with a Triton V-10 in the engine bay (kind of like stuffing a V8 in a Fiero right?)

And if it can't have big tires, it's got to have a big motor!
My 1973 Regatta Jet Boat with 455 olds (now removed)

with this going in (at least until I can figure out how to get it in the Fiero! LOL!)

------------------
Asa Wilson
Outlaws Rod & Custom

qwikgta

Feedback score:    (21)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 84
Rate this member

Report this Post03-21-2011 10:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for qwikgtaSend a Private Message to qwikgtaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Great to see you here Asa. Told you once the word gets out your going to become the East Coast "Fiero shop". Which is fine by me, cause your just down the street.

some more from the meeting on Saturday (3-19-11)

Thanks again Asa

Rob
madcurl

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 314
Rate this member

Report this Post04-08-2011 07:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
PFF
System Bot
California Kid

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 274
Rate this member

Report this Post04-08-2011 10:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for California KidSend a Private Message to California KidEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Welcome to the Forum Asa, good to see another hard core brain stormer out there.

------------------

Car History: //www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum1/HTML/025670.html

Letsbuildanexotic

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-09-2011 03:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for LetsbuildanexoticSend a Private Message to LetsbuildanexoticEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I know this would be a stretch (LOL, double meaning), but if you section the car, you could probably fit that viper motor in. And then, I want one.

-Chris
exoticse

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-10-2011 04:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for exoticseSend a Private Message to exoticseEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Fresh stuff

Tweeking the quarterwindows, rear wing, and more.

madcurl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-12-2011 02:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Fresh stuff

Nice. I love the sail window tweaking and C-pillar pull-in. If I may add. If nobody has already done so, you might want to get inside and see of you have rear view clearance using the Camero wing. IMO it might look better (slicker) if you make a groove part way in the middle for rear view visuals. This may add more "flare" and break-up the line a bit. Exoticse has a photoshop version of this idea, but still it looks good as-is.

Example:

Although, there's nothing wrong using a straight line as you have it, but cutting out a section will not only allow for rearview clearance, but will add some "flare" and throw spectators off from knowing if it's a Camero wing or wondering if the part was a one off piece. The key is to keep them guessing. My .02 cent.
------------------

"Friends don't let their friends drive stock."

[This message has been edited by madcurl (edited 04-12-2011).]

revin

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 234
Rate this member

Report this Post04-12-2011 03:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for revinSend a Private Message to revinEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
OR
get a backup camera like madcurl and I have
outlaws

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-12-2011 10:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for outlawsClick Here to visit outlaws's HomePageSend a Private Message to outlawsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by madcurl:

Nice. I love the sail window tweaking and C-pillar pull-in. If I may add. If nobody has already done so, you might want to get inside and see of you have rear view clearance using the Camero wing. IMO it might look better (slicker) if you make a groove part way in the middle for rear view visuals. This may add more "flare" and break-up the line a bit. Exoticse has a photoshop version of this idea, but still it looks good as-is.

Example:

Although, there's nothing wrong using a straight line as you have it, but cutting out a section will not only allow for rearview clearance, but will add some "flare" and throw spectators off from knowing if it's a Camero wing or wondering if the part was a one off piece. The key is to keep them guessing. My .02 cent.

Thanks Madcurl! I have been debating over that same thing. I like the look of it being tall and actually you won't be able to see out the rearview the way it is. I've tried it out. I've been thinking about either the cutout or a backup camera. Haven't made up my mind yet,

I love the photoshop which is now my background picture! (it was a corvette!)

Just got my license plates in the mail yesterday - WHTS THT

Take care!
asa
outlaws

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-12-2011 10:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for outlawsClick Here to visit outlaws's HomePageSend a Private Message to outlawsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

outlaws

54 posts
Member since Feb 2010

Originally posted by Letsbuildanexotic:

I know this would be a stretch (LOL, double meaning), but if you section the car, you could probably fit that viper motor in. And then, I want one.

-Chris

Yea that would be awesome but it's too late!

------------------
Asa Wilson
Outlaws Rod & Custom

outlaws

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-12-2011 10:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for outlawsClick Here to visit outlaws's HomePageSend a Private Message to outlawsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

outlaws

54 posts
Member since Feb 2010

Originally posted by California Kid:

Welcome to the Forum Asa, good to see another hard core brain stormer out there.

Thanks, great to be here. Been lurking for a long time! Wish I had time to get on here more.
Asa

------------------
Asa Wilson
Outlaws Rod & Custom

qwikgta

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-24-2011 10:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for qwikgtaSend a Private Message to qwikgtaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Looking good Asa. I love the sleek look of the CT. Not sure about the spoiler, it kind of takes away from how slick it will look when done.

Keep up the great work, will be out to see you and the guys at the shop soon, we need to check on the progress.

Rob
Rick 88

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-25-2011 09:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Rick 88Send a Private Message to Rick 88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by madcurl:

Example:

The current Corvette ZR1 spoiler is cut down in the center. While I am sure it has something to do with aerodynamics, instead of style on the ZR1, it gives the car a different look. Very nice work. I can't wait to see the finished car.
PFF
System Bot
A_Pegasi

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-21-2011 12:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for A_PegasiSend a Private Message to A_PegasiEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hey All,

Well, I've taken the plunge. My original Pegasus (1988 Coupe) is going in for a heart transplant this year.

The transmission is already at Outlaws.

2006 Pontiac G6
F40WR 6 Speed Transmission
0 Original Miles

The motor is on order.

LS376/480 HP 6.2L Crate Engine w/ Hot Cam

The install will be done using Archie's LS and tranny kits at Outlaws Rod & Customs.

Bob

"Scotty, we'll need everything you've got." -- Kirk,
"Aye. Warp drive standing by." -- Scotty

------------------
A_Pegasi
RCHal486@aol.com

jwrape

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-21-2011 01:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jwrapeSend a Private Message to jwrapeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I love the Camaro Duck bill spoiler

------------------
86 Fiero 2M4 Silver, and 86 GT

jetsnvettes2000

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-21-2011 03:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jetsnvettes2000Send a Private Message to jetsnvettes2000Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Fresh stuff

I am really lovin the sail panel profile, what material are you guys using for the window?
Jim88GT

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-22-2011 04:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Jim88GTSend a Private Message to Jim88GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by A_Pegasi:

Hey All,

Well, I've taken the plunge. My original Pegasus (1988 Coupe) is going in for a heart transplant this year.

The transmission is already at Outlaws.

2006 Pontiac G6
F40WR 6 Speed Transmission
0 Original Miles

The motor is on order.

LS376/480 HP 6.2L Crate Engine w/ Hot Cam

The install will be done using Archie's LS and tranny kits at Outlaws Rod & Customs.

Bob

"Scotty, we'll need everything you've got." -- Kirk,
"Aye. Warp drive standing by." -- Scotty

Congrats! The LS "three" should provide some interesting comments at the car shows

Jim
Custom2M4

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 114
Rate this member

Report this Post05-22-2011 07:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Custom2M4Send a Private Message to Custom2M4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Mour pix of the Mustang FB please

------------------

outlaws

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-22-2011 11:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for outlawsClick Here to visit outlaws's HomePageSend a Private Message to outlawsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by jetsnvettes2000:

I am really lovin the sail panel profile, what material are you guys using for the window?

Thanks!
Just the standard aftermarket ones cut down.

------------------
Asa Wilson
Outlaws Rod & Custom

outlaws

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-23-2011 12:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for outlawsClick Here to visit outlaws's HomePageSend a Private Message to outlawsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Custom2M4:

Mour pix of the Mustang FB please

Here is the album: http://outlaws.smugmug.com/...estomod/471956_c76k8
PAPA_SMURF

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-23-2011 06:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PAPA_SMURFSend a Private Message to PAPA_SMURFEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I am going to have to come by sometime and check out your shop, I live less than an hour away.
exoticse

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-23-2011 11:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for exoticseSend a Private Message to exoticseEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Asa any updates on the choptops ?
outlaws

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-24-2011 06:37 AM Click Here to See the Profile for outlawsClick Here to visit outlaws's HomePageSend a Private Message to outlawsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by PAPA_SMURF:

I am going to have to come by sometime and check out your shop, I live less than an hour away.

Awesome, come by anytime!

------------------
Asa Wilson
Outlaws Rod & Custom

PFF
System Bot
outlaws

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-24-2011 06:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for outlawsClick Here to visit outlaws's HomePageSend a Private Message to outlawsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

outlaws

54 posts
Member since Feb 2010

Asa any updates on the choptops ?

Nope, sorry. Should be getting back on them soon. Unfortunately, they are not the moneymakers! We have been slammed lately (Thank God!)

Asa

------------------
Asa Wilson
Outlaws Rod & Custom

madcurl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-09-2011 03:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
A_Pegasi

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-13-2011 10:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for A_PegasiSend a Private Message to A_PegasiEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Earlier I posted the new engine and tranny Outlaws is going to install in my original Fiero Coupe. Their working hard on my other Fiero too!

From this...

to this...

to this...

To This...

Not Yet. But Soon!

Stay tuned!
madcurl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-24-2011 04:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
madcurl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-15-2011 10:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
We need Choptop excitement!

[This message has been edited by madcurl (edited 07-15-2011).]

qwikgta

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-15-2011 10:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for qwikgtaSend a Private Message to qwikgtaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Bob's 88 coupe is now painted. Update soon. (Bob, post some pics)

Rob
madcurl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-15-2011 10:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by qwikgta:

Bob's 88 coupe is now painted. Update soon. (Bob, post some pics)

Rob

Boogaloo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-18-2011 09:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BoogalooSend a Private Message to BoogalooEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by outlaws:

Yea that would be awesome but it's too late!

Question ? I noticed you are using a viper v10 motor in your boat is this a marine or regular engine as a replacement how is this possible. The reason I ask is I have a 31" Bayliner with a blown 350 engine and was told that a 350 can not work in a boat , please clear this up for me as I have a new 383 sitting.
outlaws

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-18-2011 03:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for outlawsClick Here to visit outlaws's HomePageSend a Private Message to outlawsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Boogaloo:

It is a regular automotive engine. Don't believe everything you hear! LOL!

It did have a 455 Oldsmobile in it, again a regular car engine.

The only difference is the marine engines have brass freeze plugs (better corrosion resistance), marine cam (different power bands than a car) and all the accessories are rated for marine use (starter, alternator, fuel pump etc - They can't emit sparks outside the case (starter and alternator) or let fumes into the bilge (fuel pump - that's why it has that tube going up to the carb).

Any small block will fit in your application. The 383 should work fine. The only concern I would have is the cam, make sure it will work for your application. The Viper motor has tons of torque and has more than enough power for this little boat. I haven't had any problem with the motor (except running out of gas! LOL!) I also made it freshwater cooled, to protect the aluminum from any corrosion.

Question ? I noticed you are using a viper v10 motor in your boat is this a marine or regular engine as a replacement how is this possible. The reason I ask is I have a 31" Bayliner with a blown 350 engine and was told that a 350 can not work in a boat , please clear this up for me as I have a new 383 sitting.

------------------
Asa Wilson
Outlaws Rod & Custom

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 3 pages long:  1   2   3 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors