Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat
  modernize your fiero with technology! (Page 2)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 6 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
modernize your fiero with technology! by americasfuture2k
Started on: 07-26-2009 02:55 AM
Replies: 232 (23316 views)
Last post by: XgovernmentAgent on 07-06-2017 10:16 PM
bowrapennocks

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-03-2009 10:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for bowrapennocksEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
My double din stereo is a Pioneer AVIC 700 series. It is a great stereo/GPS/video, but boot time is slow.

FYI there is a forum just for that series of stereo:

[url] www.avic411.com [/url]
Jim

------------------
Jim

86 SE 355 Body Kit w/3.1 Auto (Sold)
87 T-Top Coupe 2.8/5 Speed new project

IP: Logged
Austrian Import

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-08-2009 08:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Austrian ImportSend a Private Message to Austrian ImportEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by bowrapennocks:

My double din stereo is a Pioneer AVIC 700 series. It is a great stereo/GPS/video, but boot time is slow.

FYI there is a forum just for that series of stereo:

[url] www.avic411.com [/url]
Jim

Pictures?
Austrian Import

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-09-2009 05:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Austrian ImportSend a Private Message to Austrian ImportEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Follow up on Laser Shifters:

If you're concerned with them remaining visible, or with them getting rock chips when going on dirt roads, this might be a solution:

I'm not sure if you need to buy this, or just making one yourself would do the same trick. I think the main radiator opennings in the Aero body, or the opennings for the marker lights would work great for this.

Heck a setup like this could even be used for something more fun, like squirt guns, or something fun to use at car shows.
dobey

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 371
User Banned

Report this Post08-16-2009 09:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Another option would be power tilt/telescoping steering column. Some of the newer Caddys and Vettes have them, maybe other GMs too. Would go well with power seats, and one of the memory modules in the newer GMs. Less time adjusting the steering when I get in/out of the car (since I'm 6'2").
Rickady88GT

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 202
Rate this member

Report this Post08-16-2009 02:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Rickady88GTSend a Private Message to Rickady88GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by dobey:

Another option would be power tilt/telescoping steering column. Some of the newer Caddys and Vettes have them, maybe other GMs too. Would go well with power seats, and one of the memory modules in the newer GMs. Less time adjusting the steering when I get in/out of the car (since I'm 6'2").

The problem I see with this is the loss of arm room. Those tilt wheel columns are longer than the Fiero column between the tilt joint and wheel. The extra length is to allow for the telescoping function. I got a Vette column for the telescopic option and I decided the loss of distance from my chest to the wheel was to much.
I have not looked into the power seat option because the Fiero is one of the lowest mounted GM seat made. I cant think of any GM seat that has the power mechanism that is not actually under the seat and still fit the the seat well. To make room for the motors under the seat would necessitate a higher seat mounting. That means less head room. Then with the less head room even at its lowest setting, will there be a need to lift the seat even higher?

Cajun

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-18-2009 07:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for CajunSend a Private Message to CajunEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Another to add to the list; rear collision alarm/park assist system.

cajun

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post08-18-2009 01:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
mmmmmmm

More pics of actual Fieros with upgrades please!

[This message has been edited by 2.5 (edited 08-18-2009).]

dobey

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post08-21-2009 03:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 2.5:
mmmmmmm

More pics of actual Fieros with upgrades please!

I think this is more of a thread about what can be done, than what has been done. And I don't think all that much has been done in the way of adding newer tech to Fieros. The most I've seen really are the auto-dimming/compass/temp mirrors, and lumbar seats. There's another thread with someone adding back-up and IR cameras. And lots have added dvd players/lcd screens, but generally that's seemed more for show than functionality from what I've seen.
dobey

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post08-21-2009 03:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

dobey

11572 posts
Member since Sep 2001

Originally posted by Rickady88GT:
The problem I see with this is the loss of arm room. Those tilt wheel columns are longer than the Fiero column between the tilt joint and wheel. The extra length is to allow for the telescoping function. I got a Vette column for the telescopic option and I decided the loss of distance from my chest to the wheel was to much.
I have not looked into the power seat option because the Fiero is one of the lowest mounted GM seat made. I cant think of any GM seat that has the power mechanism that is not actually under the seat and still fit the the seat well. To make room for the motors under the seat would necessitate a higher seat mounting. That means less head room. Then with the less head room even at its lowest setting, will there be a need to lift the seat even higher?

I haven't looked too deeply into it, but lifting the seat isn't as interesting to me, though it might be for shorter drivers. And in that case, the arm/head room issues probably aren't an issue. I'm more interested in just sliding it forward and back, and adjusting the tilt of the seat back, and the steering wheel adjustment. And I don't think the arm/headroom issues would be a problem for me. I'd have to get a column and seats, and figure out the electrics for them, to really see if there'd be a problem though.
R.O.C. 1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-21-2009 04:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for R.O.C. 1Send a Private Message to R.O.C. 1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Great List guys!!!! I was just looking at my new OLD dash thinking I need to do something here. Great thread.
americasfuture2k

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 105
Rate this member

Report this Post08-21-2009 09:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for americasfuture2kSend a Private Message to americasfuture2kEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
right now, getting my car ready to be tuned and getting it tuned are top priorities. but after thats done, i will be adding the camaro Retained Accessory Power (RAP) module, DEI one touch windows, and converting everything to LEDs and slowly start searching for more things to add.

oh! i cant believe forgot to add this. electric power steering pump!

------------------
First LX9 Fiero GT, 1987 | My Fiero Fuel Economy | MPG Display for OBD I
Youtube Videos of My GT | 87 GT Inside Test Run | 3500 Fiero GT Test Run 01
3500 Fiero GT Test Run 02 | 3500 Fiero GT Test Run 03 | 3500 Fiero GT Test Run 04
modernize your fiero with technology!
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem
Fiero's are people too. We pay just as much attention to them, if not more than our loved ones
screw paying those bastards. im not going to become rich by paying for things.....

PFF
System Bot
Gokart Mozart

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 159
Rate this member

Report this Post08-21-2009 09:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gokart MozartClick Here to visit Gokart Mozart's HomePageSend a Private Message to Gokart MozartEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
http://contentinfo.autozone...pil/PL-SW16/image/8/
flat panel light switch
autozone part # pl-sw16

[This message has been edited by Gokart Mozart (edited 08-21-2009).]

americasfuture2k

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-21-2009 09:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for americasfuture2kSend a Private Message to americasfuture2kEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
tsk tsk, thats pretty ricey. FORSHAME!!

[This message has been edited by americasfuture2k (edited 08-21-2009).]

dobey

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post08-22-2009 12:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by americasfuture2k:
right now, getting my car ready to be tuned and getting it tuned are top priorities. but after thats done, i will be adding the camaro Retained Accessory Power (RAP) module, DEI one touch windows, and converting everything to LEDs and slowly start searching for more things to add.

oh! i cant believe forgot to add this. electric power steering pump!

Yeah. Right now, I need to get my truck fixed, and get a house before I can do much to my GT. I've been looking around for a multi-band antenna to mount on/in the roof though. I'll probably do that, and replace the headliner, visors, and overhead console. Will proabably definitely go with some homelink visors.
bowrapennocks

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-22-2009 10:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for bowrapennocksEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Pictures of my Pioneer + other stuff are on page 1 of this post
Jim
americasfuture2k

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-03-2009 10:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for americasfuture2kSend a Private Message to americasfuture2kEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
BUMP with an update on the first thread for RAP. the PAC-1200 features RAP and dome light control with an override switch to manually disable the dome light.

------------------
Youtube Videos of My GT | modernize your fiero with technology!
Fiero's are people too. We pay just as much attention to them, if not more than our loved ones
screw paying those bastards. im not going to become rich by paying for things.....

grkboy707

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-11-2010 08:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for grkboy707Send a Private Message to grkboy707Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have a question about the gauge LED installation. Where do the leads of the LED band attach to?
theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post01-11-2010 09:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Turn signal flasher upgrade.

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave (It's also at the top of every forum page...)

americasfuture2k

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-12-2010 10:37 AM Click Here to See the Profile for americasfuture2kSend a Private Message to americasfuture2kEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by grkboy707:

I have a question about the gauge LED installation. Where do the leads of the LED band attach to?

if your talking about he white LED strip, just connect the ( - ) and the ( + ) wires to a hot in run or a hot w/ parking lights circuit. simple.

------------------

Chris Hodson

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 54
Rate this member

Report this Post01-12-2010 11:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Chris HodsonSend a Private Message to Chris HodsonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
What a bad ass thread! This is going into my favorites
americasfuture2k

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-12-2010 12:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for americasfuture2kSend a Private Message to americasfuture2kEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I think the guy that started this Thread Should be plussed

------------------

[This message has been edited by americasfuture2k (edited 01-12-2010).]

PFF
System Bot
Alex4mula

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 153
Rate this member

Report this Post01-12-2010 01:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Alex4mulaSend a Private Message to Alex4mulaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Nice list. Wonder where to store all the wiring if I was to install all that. LOL!

------------------

Red: TPI V8 + 6-Speed Yellow: Nitrous 3.4 + 4 speed Auto
304rwHP/366rwTQ

DIY_Stu

Feedback score:    (50)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 111
Rate this member

Report this Post01-12-2010 10:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DIY_StuClick Here to visit DIY_Stu's HomePageSend a Private Message to DIY_StuEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Austrian Import:

Follow up on Laser Shifters:

If you're concerned with them remaining visible, or with them getting rock chips when going on dirt roads, this might be a solution:

I'm not sure if you need to buy this, or just making one yourself would do the same trick. I think the main radiator opennings in the Aero body, or the opennings for the marker lights would work great for this.

Heck a setup like this could even be used for something more fun, like squirt guns, or something fun to use at car shows.

I wouldn't touch those they only hold the head by two screws. Blinders have to be perpendicular to the road and straight for them to work their best. two screws aren't going to hold them secure enough to be reliable.
jscott1

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 415
Rate this member

Report this Post01-13-2010 08:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by PaulJK:

i've seen the threads on HUDs and installed one in my car. My point is that there are only a few that will fit a fiero and NONE of them look like the ones in the large pics that were posted. Those HUDs will NOT ift a fiero.

C'mon now Paul...be careful with absolute statements. I have enough room to mount a breadbox under my firebird dash, (except there is already a hud in that spot). If I had one of those more modern HUDs it would fit just fine.

yashmack

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-13-2010 10:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for yashmackClick Here to visit yashmack's HomePageSend a Private Message to yashmackEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Im about to put push button ignition in my 86 GT

the buttons will be unlabeled in front of the shifter on a panel there
I want to use these I found on ebay:

1 green switching on/off for the ignition and 1 momentary blue for the starter
theyre 10amp switches and the ign fuse is 10amp so these should be sufficient...

Im also about to install a K9 Sombra RFID Keyless Entry system on the car
The car will lock and unlock when i get near/far from it

http://www.amazon.com/K9-SO...UNLOCK/dp/B0011EIOJI

[This message has been edited by yashmack (edited 01-13-2010).]

07Hoffmannd

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-14-2010 06:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 07HoffmanndSend a Private Message to 07HoffmanndEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
2 questions

1. where can you get the proximity/ push button start systems?

2. can you have a proximity system and a remote start system? cause then you could start the car and get the heat pumpin (if its cold out) and run up to and not have to unlock it. just get in warm car and go.
americasfuture2k

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-14-2010 11:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for americasfuture2kSend a Private Message to americasfuture2kEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
search my friend. i made a thread about something along those lines. i think its titled does this type of alarm exist. or something
bnevets27

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-21-2010 02:11 AM Click Here to See the Profile for bnevets27Send a Private Message to bnevets27Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Does anyone know where to find the dakota digital PAC1200? It's not even on there site anymore. Looks like they are just selling the PAC1300. I don't need the auto headlights and would hope the PAC1200 would be a bit cheaper. Read the pdf and it sounds perfect! Lots of nice features, hopefully I can find one.
americasfuture2k

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-22-2010 02:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for americasfuture2kSend a Private Message to americasfuture2kEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
google it. and looking in google shopping. or ebay. or amazon. thats where i found them all.

------------------

bnevets27

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-22-2010 04:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for bnevets27Send a Private Message to bnevets27Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I honestly did all of that. The PAC1300 is easy to find google, ebay, and dakota digitals own site. But finding the PAC1200 is another story, its not even on dakota digitals site. Unless I missed something, it doesn't look like anyone is selling the PAC1200 anymore. Which is unfortunate. I'm just hoping some place still has some in stock.

[This message has been edited by bnevets27 (edited 01-22-2010).]

dobey

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post02-22-2010 06:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Well, I'm definitely going with the power tilt column. Just found one out of an STS on eBay. Going to use it with the newer Malibu/Cobalt/etc... steering wheel with radio controls, so it's going to need some changes before it goes in, but this is going to be a sweet project!

Will go great with the LS4/F40 combo, and other stuff I'm going to do to the car.
PFF
System Bot
Austrian Import

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-23-2010 12:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Austrian ImportSend a Private Message to Austrian ImportEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by DIY_Stu:
I wouldn't touch those they only hold the head by two screws. Blinders have to be perpendicular to the road and straight for them to work their best. two screws aren't going to hold them secure enough to be reliable.

Wow!! I'm surprised to find a fellow forum member who knows that Blinders are.

I thought about the same thing when seeing the video. Even just the motion (without the vehicle moving) seems to shift the position/angle of the receivers. (not to mention the location is way to low on the car)

It's an interesting concept to expand/follow up on with sturdier materials.

Especially when mounted either in this location: //www.fiero.nl/forum/F...HTML/106376.html#p9, or where the blinkers are located.
dobey

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post02-24-2010 11:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Speaking of the HUDs... has anyone done a custom HUD at all? I know a few people have retrofit the Bonnie HUD or maybe the Vette/Caddy HUDs, but has anyone built an entirely custom HUD yet?
americasfuture2k

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-24-2010 11:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for americasfuture2kSend a Private Message to americasfuture2kEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
i think i saw one being made over on ecomodder. not entire sure where i saw it.
dobey

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post02-24-2010 01:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

i think i saw one being made over on ecomodder. not entire sure where i saw it.

Just did a quick search and found one a guy did in his GTP. Not quite what I want, but close. There are some other interesting mock-ups for HUD on YouTube as well, that are all faked. I'm going to be doing a custom HUD in my car, and was wondering what other people were doing. Don't know if anyone's done anything beyond the retrofits in a Fiero though.
americasfuture2k

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-24-2010 11:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for americasfuture2kSend a Private Message to americasfuture2kEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
look here for a custom HUD Project NiteVision - NiteMax + HUD + carputer

------------------

edfiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-25-2010 10:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for edfieroSend a Private Message to edfieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
re: The washer fluid heater... although this idea wouldn't work so good with a rear engine car like the Fiero, in any other car, I have had the idea that if your fluid hose was metal, like made from brake tubing or something like that you could route it along the exhaust manifold, and it would heat up that way. No need to pay 150 bucks for that gizmo at the beginning of this thread.
dobey

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post02-25-2010 01:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by edfiero:
re: The washer fluid heater... although this idea wouldn't work so good with a rear engine car like the Fiero, in any other car, I have had the idea that if your fluid hose was metal, like made from brake tubing or something like that you could route it along the exhaust manifold, and it would heat up that way. No need to pay 150 bucks for that gizmo at the beginning of this thread.

You probably wouldn't want to wrap it around the exhaust. It's way too hot for heating washer fluid. The best cheap way to do it would be to wrap some copper tubing around a cheap ceramic heating element (they're very cheap, any aquarium heater has one), and wire that in to a switch or cold weather system. You don't need to heat it in warm/hot weather.
dobey

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post02-25-2010 01:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

dobey

11572 posts
Member since Sep 2001

look here for a custom HUD Project NiteVision - NiteMax + HUD + carputer

I saw that, but it looks like there's a lot of talk, and not a lot of working stuff. The night vision stuff isn't as interesting to me yet, because it's very low resolution (at least the stuff that uses IR cameras), and it just puts a picture on an LCD, which you have to look at instead of the road.

Custom GTP HUD

This custom GTP HUD though is working and installed, albeit not exactly what I want. But it's a good informational point to look at (as well as his other in-progress videos). Of course, I'm also having trouble finding a nice AM-OLED display in the dimensions, resolution, and cost, I want.
Lou6t4gto

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-25-2010 04:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Lou6t4gtoSend a Private Message to Lou6t4gtoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
the DIE530T window" thingie", "What exactly is it" that that thing "DOES "??? Don't see any buttons," whats it do" & "How does it do it" ?? Thanks
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 6 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock