Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat
  Team PontiAxed, ChumpCar World Series Build (Page 3)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 6 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
Team PontiAxed, ChumpCar World Series Build by ManMadeChickens
Started on: 12-08-2010 07:54 AM
Replies: 222 (8314 views)
Last post by: copperhens on 04-26-2018 09:33 PM
thedrue

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-12-2011 03:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for thedrueSend a Private Message to thedrueEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Proud fan here! It was a blast hanging out with you guys. Great car, great team!

Love the pics and cannot wait for some video.
IP: Logged
hairballrm

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-12-2011 04:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for hairballrmClick Here to visit hairballrm's HomePageSend a Private Message to hairballrmEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Here's a gem
Sunday afternoon, 3:30, half and hour to go
MR2 bites the dust in turn 2 (map)

I see air under the front right tire

Gets passed by Justin driving the Team Pontiaxed Fiero,
Stalled or broke,
had to be towed.

Survives the abusive spin, gets back out in time and finishes the race

Now that's racing

------------------
"Now you too can see in the dark."
http://projectorretrofit.com/

[This message has been edited by hairballrm (edited 04-12-2011).]

hairballrm

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-12-2011 05:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for hairballrmClick Here to visit hairballrm's HomePageSend a Private Message to hairballrmEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

hairballrm

768 posts
Member since Nov 2009
Of course, this is the way it should be done.

------------------

[This message has been edited by hairballrm (edited 04-12-2011).]

hairballrm

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-13-2011 04:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hairballrmClick Here to visit hairballrm's HomePageSend a Private Message to hairballrmEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

------------------

[This message has been edited by hairballrm (edited 04-16-2011).]

hairballrm

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-14-2011 02:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for hairballrmClick Here to visit hairballrm's HomePageSend a Private Message to hairballrmEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thousands of frames, so little time

------------------

doublec4

Feedback score:    (20)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 150
Rate this member

Report this Post04-14-2011 02:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
One of my favourite threads! Great work guys!
ManMadeChickens

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-14-2011 02:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ManMadeChickensSend a Private Message to ManMadeChickensEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for all the great pictures, Rick!

Here's another, showing off 14 hours of wear from competition.

[This message has been edited by ManMadeChickens (edited 04-05-2018).]

mattwa

Feedback score:    (41)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 88
Rate this member

Report this Post04-14-2011 09:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for mattwaSend a Private Message to mattwaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Wow, that looks like a LOT of fun. Did someone get the rear bumper, or are you just going to use the car without it?
hairballrm

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-14-2011 10:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for hairballrmClick Here to visit hairballrm's HomePageSend a Private Message to hairballrmEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

------------------

mattwa

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-14-2011 07:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mattwaSend a Private Message to mattwaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Wow, that show how flexable the fiero bumpers really are. Maybe its the black paint, but that bumper looks in real good shape considering that it was ripped off the car from a collision.
ManMadeChickens

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-14-2011 07:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ManMadeChickensSend a Private Message to ManMadeChickensEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
There's a small tear in the bumper skin in the far right side, kind of where that muddy smudge is. Other than that, the only damage to the skin is that the eyelets for the plastic attachment rivets are all torn open. We've got a fix in mind for that. The original bumper will be going back on soon.
PFF
System Bot
ManMadeChickens

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-17-2011 05:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ManMadeChickensSend a Private Message to ManMadeChickensEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Alright! The day many of you have been waiting for has arrived - we have in-race footage! The first video is a compilation of some of our most interesting moments in the car over the course of this last race weekend. The second video is what the camera got of my stint. Enjoy!

BlackThunderGT

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-17-2011 06:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BlackThunderGTSend a Private Message to BlackThunderGTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Awesome!!! What a fun way to spend the weekend, thanks for sharing the videos and pictures.
N3M3S1S

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 51
Rate this member

Report this Post04-17-2011 06:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for N3M3S1SSend a Private Message to N3M3S1SEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Great video, thanks for sharing! During those parts the track was wet and you guys kept sliding I kept thinking "..God I know the feeling". The Fiero can be a b*tch to reel back in after it kicks out.
doublec4

Feedback score:    (20)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 150
Rate this member

Report this Post04-17-2011 07:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Great videos, I really enjoyed them! Looks like you guys are having a ton of fun out there!
mattwa

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-17-2011 07:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mattwaSend a Private Message to mattwaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Cool! Although, honestly, I a bit surprised that 2.8 has done so well in two races now. I noticed you were in 3rd most of the time, what RPM was the highest you sustained?
ManMadeChickens

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-17-2011 09:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ManMadeChickensSend a Private Message to ManMadeChickensEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

With the quickest drivers (Drew and I), we're up to 6k a couple times a lap. I'll run through a lap- you get hard on the brakes after the start-finish line, and rev match your downshift into third for the chicane (labeled turns 1+2). Sometimes, if you get a slow car or someone blocking, you'll grab 2nd through here. Otherwise, you take third gear from about 3000 RPM and run all the way towards turn 4, just hitting 6000 RPM before you brake. Keep it in third between about 3000-4000 RPM through turn 7. Again, slow down into second if there's traffic through turn 7. Otherwise, crank it up to 6k and shift up to fourth gear between turn 8 and 9. Up to about 105 MPH in 4th on the back straight, hard on the brakes for turn 10, rev match up to 6000 RPM, hold about 5000 RPM in third through to the braking zone between turn 11 and 12. Accelerate out of turn 12 onto the main straight in third, and shift into fourth gear at 6000 RPM near the start of the pits. Short answer- we're holding a lot of revs for a relatively low-revving V6.

mattwa

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-17-2011 09:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mattwaSend a Private Message to mattwaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Wow. Hope that 2.8 holds up for you, it looks like its taking alot of abuse (fun abuse that is!). I have a brand new rebuilt 3.4 for sale if you ever have the need.
hairballrm

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-18-2011 12:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hairballrmClick Here to visit hairballrm's HomePageSend a Private Message to hairballrmEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I am really impressed by the way this GM held up.
This is two 7 hour days of brutal driving.
Of course, the brakes sure were not designed for this kind duty.

------------------

nitroheadz28

Feedback score:    (26)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 94
Rate this member

Report this Post04-18-2011 02:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for nitroheadz28Send a Private Message to nitroheadz28Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Awesome pics and vids! Thanks for posting and keep having fun
ManMadeChickens

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-18-2011 03:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ManMadeChickensSend a Private Message to ManMadeChickensEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yep. The drivetrain is really the least of our worries... brakes still are. Car will stop just fine, the braking FORCE isn't the problem, the heat is. You can run a single flat-out full threshold braking lap before you start to cook the brakes. We brake a couple hundred feet sooner than everyone else, just to keep the brakes in a happy state. You can run about 85% as hard on the brakes, and maintain. Anything more, and they're just too hot.

That'll change though. We're always trying to improve the car between events. Just a switch to better pads got us close this time. With some cooling mods, we'll be right where we want to be with the performance of the brakes.
PFF
System Bot
ManMadeChickens

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-30-2011 10:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ManMadeChickensSend a Private Message to ManMadeChickensEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Just another bump to keep the thread out of archives.
ManMadeChickens

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-13-2011 01:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ManMadeChickensSend a Private Message to ManMadeChickensEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Look at what the race car got today...

Projector Retrofit 6060 buckets! These things are just so cool, and will functionally improve our night racing abilities quite a bit.

It's a shame it started to rain this evening, otherwise I'd have taken it out to aim them, and get some sweet night pics.

hairballrm

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-02-2011 08:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hairballrmClick Here to visit hairballrm's HomePageSend a Private Message to hairballrmEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Bump.
The twelve witching hours approach at PIR

------------------

ManMadeChickens

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-02-2011 08:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ManMadeChickensSend a Private Message to ManMadeChickensEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
We recently had a work day, and installed some new brake stuff. Thread update soon.
Francis T

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 119
Rate this member

Report this Post09-02-2011 09:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Francis TClick Here to visit Francis T's HomePageSend a Private Message to Francis TEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by ALLTRBO:

With all due respect, he has $53 and a couple days of work into the Fiero's paint. Compared to what has gone into the car, that's nothing, I don't think they would have done any better or worse if it was still faded black with only a couple sprayed on numbers.

Good luck to your son. I've seen you mention him in a few threads, I think what he's done is very cool as well.
Out of curiosity, has he gotten any penalty laps? From what I gather, a Mk. II MR2 with an engine swap could be (subjectively) worth more than $500 easily. I know it's pretty common for people to get some laps, but they don't care because what they've done is worth it, heh.

LOl, yeah he's done penality laps; most for being too fast. He's also a very good driver as are the other drivers on his team. With about 5 races under their belts -including a few DNFs- they took 3rd -out of 48 cars- in their last race. BTW: I still think that Feiro looks damn good for a chump car. I wish I still a had an old prototype intake I could provide him with.
ManMadeChickens

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-02-2011 10:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ManMadeChickensSend a Private Message to ManMadeChickensEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Someday maybe we'll buy one... but first I think it would benefit from much better exhaust manifolds. The stock "logs" with broken studs and half blown out gaskets need some attention.

Random question - when you make your intakes, what do you do to get the ports to match up, do you have pre-made flanges you weld to?
kwagner

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post09-03-2011 07:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for kwagnerClick Here to visit kwagner's HomePageSend a Private Message to kwagnerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Great stuff, guys, from one chump to another I have to get around to finishing my thread, I've just been so busy I've only had time to pop in for a minute or two.
ManMadeChickens

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-03-2011 11:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ManMadeChickensSend a Private Message to ManMadeChickensEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Okay, here's the update for the stuff we accomplished last weekend. The goals were to improve the brakes without breaking the bank just yet.

This pic shows just about everything we did. First, installed some brake ducts to get more air to the calipers, rotors, and pads. Second, we installed fresh Carbomet pads to replace the cheap pads we've been running between races. Third, took off the dust shields to naturally bring more air to the brakes. Fourth, we drained and rebled the brakes with Wilwood EXP high-temp racing fluid. Last, and not least, we installed new stainless brake hoses.

We made "scoops" for the ducts out of 4" to 3" adapters for the dryer duct hose we used.

Showing the routing of the ducts.

Now that we've got at least a little bit better braking available to us, and since we have the best lights you can put on a Fiero, I think we're really well prepared for the likely rainy, partial night race in October.

Francis T

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 119
Rate this member

Report this Post09-04-2011 10:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Francis TClick Here to visit Francis T's HomePageSend a Private Message to Francis TEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by ManMadeChickens:

Someday maybe we'll buy one... but first I think it would benefit from much better exhaust manifolds. The stock "logs" with broken studs and half blown out gaskets need some attention.

Random question - when you make your intakes, what do you do to get the ports to match up, do you have pre-made flanges you weld to?

Yes, we had a batch of special base flanges CNCed that match the lower intake perfectly. They're so damn complicated they cost us a lot and we had to order about 150 just to keep them within reach dallor-wise. I should lay out and take a photo all of the custom CNC and other items that go into making one of our intakes and put it up on out site. Some things you can see, but things like the velocity stacks you cannot.

BTW: by all means ditch those stock headers. You don't have to go equal lenght headers like ours. Just weld up some headers with nicer bends that merge in collectors and then mate them to a 2" Y pipe. That should give you about 10-15 more HP and a few more useable RPM. Too bad you race on the West Coast, I'd like to see your car on person.
ManMadeChickens

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-05-2011 12:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ManMadeChickensSend a Private Message to ManMadeChickensEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
A friend of mine made these for his car. Maybe I can butter him up and get him to make me a set for the race car. Don't know how ChumpCar would feel about having stainless shorty headers with v-band flanges on a "$500" car.

PFF
System Bot
ManMadeChickens

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-21-2011 05:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ManMadeChickensSend a Private Message to ManMadeChickensEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I Took the car in for a proper performance alignment today. Front and rear toe are now set better, and rear camber is set back to nominal.

Front camber is apparently only adjustable +1° with stock ball joints, so we'll either live with 0° as it is now, or spring for adjustable front upper ball joints to set it how we want. Front camber is OK the way it is, as our tire wear looks good. Just a bit of overall cornering force might be possible with another degree or so of camber.

LF caster is dead on what we want, but RF caster is +1.2° more than we would like. Because caster is adjusted via shims, we have some experimenting to do to get it where we want.

The drive home from the shop showed a few things - first, the car tracks more straight than it ever did, and the steering wheel seems straighter than it did. I fund these points kind of amusing, since the performance alignment specs are supposedly not favorable for street-type driving. Second, the car has much crisper and more responsive turn-in.

These changes, in combination with the brake modifications, and the new Projector Retrofit headlights make me think that we should have a really good time at Portland in October. We always have a ton of fun, but these steps may make us a little more competitive. For the first time, we'll have a team with no first timers. That should help a lot, too.

ManMadeChickens

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-20-2011 01:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ManMadeChickensSend a Private Message to ManMadeChickensEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Race weekend coming up on the 29th and 30th! I'll be sure to update this thread with the info both for the live scoring feed when the track goes hot, but also a link to status updates throughout the weekend. We've got the camera setup refined better, so we'll have every minute of action on track in High Def quality.

Looking forward to it immensely!

[This message has been edited by ManMadeChickens (edited 10-20-2011).]

ThatFieroKid

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-20-2011 02:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ThatFieroKidSend a Private Message to ThatFieroKidEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Awesome! I can't wait to see the video. Good luck!
Jim_Martin29

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-20-2011 03:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Jim_Martin29Send a Private Message to Jim_Martin29Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Are you going to be in the November and December races at the Mazda Raceway, Laguna Seca?

If so, my wife and I will come out and cheer you on. We live near the track and go anytime we can.

I had no idea about these races, they don't advertise these races locally, just the big name (and big money) races. I think the ChumpCar race is a great idea.

------------------
Jim Martin
White '86 GT
Monterey, California

ManMadeChickens

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-20-2011 04:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ManMadeChickensSend a Private Message to ManMadeChickensEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
No, we're not racing in the Laguna Seca events. Monterey county restricts the number of cars on track at any given time to 30 cars, so the events filled up quick. It was a bit of a tow for us as well, probably about 12 hours. Someday I would really like to race there. Bay Area/Northern California has many gorgeous racetracks.
ManMadeChickens

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-31-2012 09:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ManMadeChickensSend a Private Message to ManMadeChickensEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It's only like 3 months late, but here's the highlight video from our October race. Enjoy!

BlackThunderGT

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-01-2012 02:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BlackThunderGTSend a Private Message to BlackThunderGTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Cool! Thanks for posting
ThatFieroKid

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-01-2012 03:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ThatFieroKidSend a Private Message to ThatFieroKidEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Looks like you had some trouble with the mirror there

Thanks for posting. I've been following this thread closely.
ManMadeChickens

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-01-2012 04:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ManMadeChickensSend a Private Message to ManMadeChickensEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Oh man, that mirror was a PITA. I was faster than that herd of RX7's, and could get that Civic out of a few of the corners... I was working on getting by them when the damn mirror came off. For as many times as I've put a Fiero mirror on that slide-on mount, I couldn't seem to get the hang of it while going 90 MPH and through Nomex gloves.
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 6 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock