Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat
  qwikgta is having a LS3 swapped into his 88 coupe (Page 6)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 6 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
qwikgta is having a LS3 swapped into his 88 coupe by qwikgta
Started on: 10-20-2010 10:55 PM
Replies: 229 (14731 views)
Last post by: qwikgta on 01-23-2019 09:05 PM
qwikgta

Feedback score:    (21)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 84
Rate this member

Report this Post09-16-2013 05:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for qwikgtaSend a Private Message to qwikgtaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
my laptop took a dump, lost all my pics of the swap. Those in this tread are the only ones I have left. I'll get some "finished" pics to add to the thread, but all the ones taken when I was doing the swap are toast.

Oh well.

Rob
IP: Logged
qwikgta

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-18-2013 09:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for qwikgtaSend a Private Message to qwikgtaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
trans mounts done, off to get re-powdercoated. (that sucks $$$)

new heat-shield material. stick on type.

notch for the F40 trans.

cleaned up and painted.

braided hose covers, this cleans up this rats nest of hose's

yes, there is a F40 in there.

taken just before I put her back in. New tips installed.

Rob

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post09-19-2013 12:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by qwikgta:

The other day I was coming home from a Fiero meeting, and traffic was pissing me off. When I got a chance to nail it, I did, and went from 40 to 70 in a second. It actually made me scream out loud. I can't get over the feelling of 480 hp in a Fiero. My GTO was fast, but not like this.

Rob

I really need to stop looking at this thread.

Rare87GT

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 173
Rate this member

Report this Post09-20-2013 04:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Rare87GTSend a Private Message to Rare87GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Looks really nice! Amazing car! Hope to see the car in the future at a show!

-Amir

------------------

Imnuts

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-08-2014 09:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ImnutsSend a Private Message to ImnutsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for all the great posts you've done. I love those rims, can you tell me who the manufacture is and where to get them online?

Rob

qwikgta

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-09-2014 09:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for qwikgtaSend a Private Message to qwikgtaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Enkei Falcon. But get them fast, Enkei is not making them much longer. Friend was looking at getting a set, and he's having an issue finding them. Check 1010tires or Tire Rack.
http://www.1010tires.com/Wh...con/Painted/Gunmetal

Thanks for the comments.

Rob
Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post09-09-2014 09:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
One of my favorite cars on the Forum. Still impressive.
FieroJuice

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-14-2015 10:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroJuiceSend a Private Message to FieroJuiceEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The two side scoops and the rear deck Mustang scoop are absolutely awesome and on my Fiero-Do list. They look perfect.
qwikgta

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-16-2015 01:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for qwikgtaSend a Private Message to qwikgtaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks. I had the "out" scoops on the rear, and it just didn't look right. The "in" ones really look sharp.

Rob
tesmith66

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 135
Rate this member

Report this Post12-16-2015 07:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for tesmith66Send a Private Message to tesmith66Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
What paint did you use? I'm thinking of doing something like that in black.

------------------
1986 SE Aero coupe.

3.4 DOHC swap is complete and running, now just have to finish the rest of the car...

qwikgta

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-16-2015 11:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for qwikgtaSend a Private Message to qwikgtaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks, I get a lot of positive comments about the paint, and no one can believe that I did it myself in my garage.........

Its Krylon spray paint that I purchased at WalMart. $3.49 per can. Its "Italian Olive" in Satin. Not sure how many cans, but I still have about 5 left in the box I was keeping them in. I also used Krylon Satin Black for the "A" pillars, engine vent covers, side trim, bottom of the nose/rear and inside the GT clip. Also, I used a green primer that I got at Autozone, it was a "self etching" kind. I'd say that I have about $300 in paint/supplies.

Now I know what your thinking "spray paint", but I only used the spray cans as the application of paint. I removed each body panel, sanded them down smooth, filled in any imperfections and then painted them with primer. Wet sanded the primer until perfect and then painted them with the Krylon. I wet sanded between each spray and then applied a final spray.

Its been on the car for over 5 years and other than a few touch ups, its still perfect.

I WOULD NOT ADVISE THIS FOR A DAILY DRIVER........ The paint is not automotive paint, so if it gets wet, it leaves spots. Even after it drys. I do not wash the car, it gets a "sponge bath" with auto detailer and a soft cloth. I don't drive it daily, and its used for fun, shows and car events.

I never thought it would turn out well, but it did, I guess its true about the 90% prep, 10% paint..........

One last "issue" is that the paint does fade quick. I repainted my door skins last year after I did my door mirror mod, once I put the door skins back on the car, I could see a HUGE color difference. The doors were the Italian Olive and the rest of the car was a darker green, and not as "satin". To remove the water spots I used a plastic cleaner, it was the softest cleaner I could find, and it gave the car a slight gloss.

Good luck and the best part is if you screw up (and I did) it just takes a little sanding and you can try again.

Rob

[This message has been edited by qwikgta (edited 12-16-2015).]

PFF
System Bot
tesmith66

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 135
Rate this member

Report this Post12-16-2015 12:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tesmith66Send a Private Message to tesmith66Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for the information!
qwikgta

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-02-2017 08:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for qwikgtaSend a Private Message to qwikgtaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
So its been awhile, and i haven't really done a lot to the car except drive it. But recently I decided to install my AMS front suspension/13" brake kit that has been sitting in my garage for a few years. My main reason for not installing it was all the issues I knew I'd have, but that is a post for another day. This is to show some pics of what it looks like now that its almost done. All I have left is bleeding the brakes, figuring out how to hook up the E-brake and filling up the coolant b/c I had to drain it to install the front cradle. Here are the pics.

Cheers.

Rob

------------------

88 Coupe, CJB #95, LS376, F40 and a GT clip
88 GT "Daily Driver" w/ SIII 3800 NA

[This message has been edited by qwikgta (edited 09-04-2017).]

Raydar

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post09-04-2017 12:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That's purdy!
Sage

Feedback score:    (14)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 69
Rate this member

Report this Post09-04-2017 09:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SageSend a Private Message to SageEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Outstanding!

I wish the top/exterior of my car looked as good as the bottom/undercarriage of yours!

Keep up the great work and updates!

HAGO!
fieroguru

Feedback score:    (45)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 258
Rate this member

Report this Post09-04-2017 10:19 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That does look very nice!
qwikgta

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-09-2017 01:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for qwikgtaSend a Private Message to qwikgtaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Finished changing out my interior color. Black and Kalahari.

mmeyer86gt/gtp

Feedback score:    (161)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 73
Rate this member

Report this Post11-10-2017 12:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for mmeyer86gt/gtpSend a Private Message to mmeyer86gt/gtpEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
on your a/c control paint the speed switch with vinyl paint and get a 84 hvac control and tear out the buttons because they were all black in that year. It will finish your interior off.
fieroguru

Feedback score:    (45)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 258
Rate this member

Report this Post11-10-2017 01:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Very nice!
qwikgta

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-11-2017 12:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for qwikgtaSend a Private Message to qwikgtaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by mmeyer86gt/gtp:

on your a/c control paint the speed switch with vinyl paint and get a 84 hvac control and tear out the buttons because they were all black in that year. It will finish your interior off.

Yea, i'm always looking for the black button off a 84.
qwikgta

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-14-2017 02:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for qwikgtaSend a Private Message to qwikgtaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Ford power window buttons, and MP3 player installed.

PFF
System Bot
steve308

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 57
Rate this member

Report this Post11-17-2017 03:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for steve308Send a Private Message to steve308Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Yea, i'm always looking for the black button off a 84.

I have your black button. Pulled it if a 84 at the P&P this morning. PM me with your address and I'll send it.
qwikgta

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-01-2019 05:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for qwikgtaSend a Private Message to qwikgtaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
UPDATED PIC

got my new center console door and arm rest/cup holder the other day, first shots of it put on. sorry for the crappy shot, she's in the garage for the winter.

need to reposition my MP3 player stand now.

Rob

[This message has been edited by qwikgta (edited 01-01-2019).]

Spadesluck

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-01-2019 06:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SpadesluckSend a Private Message to SpadesluckEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Very awesome build, thank you for sharing.

I have question. I like that battery box mount. Are you just leaving the area open now?
Dennis LaGrua

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post01-02-2019 11:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
This is a very nice Fiero; well put together and detailed. The LS3 is a great engine. I wish that my Fiero had one, but putting 430 horsepower and 424 ft lbs of torque into the small stick transmissions that can fit in this application is not something that I would feel comfortable with Even the F40 which is a strong six speed is rated for "up to 295 ft lbs of torque" but that rating might be generous for a 124 lb transmission. The F40 the strongest stick for transverse mounts is just not used on any OEM V8 applications anywhere. Typical use is for engines 2.0-3.9L size.

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP /Frozen Boost Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Spintech/Hedman Exhaust, P-log Manifold, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, Champion Radiator, S10 Brake Booster, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

Stinger

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-02-2019 08:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for StingerClick Here to visit Stinger's HomePageSend a Private Message to StingerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I think your powder coating guy must love you...lol I'll admit, for long term ownership, it's the way to go. Great job.
KissMySSFiero

Feedback score:    (18)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 111
Rate this member

Report this Post01-03-2019 04:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KissMySSFieroSend a Private Message to KissMySSFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I love the black and tan.
What are the window switches out of? I've been wanting to do something different.
Do you have the power going through the switch?(like factory) Or are you running a relay of some sort?(Rodneys)

------------------
SSFiero@Aol.com

qwikgta

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-23-2019 08:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for qwikgtaSend a Private Message to qwikgtaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Spadesluck:

Very awesome build, thank you for sharing.

I have question. I like that battery box mount. Are you just leaving the area open now?

For now yes, but my plan is to use a piece of 3/4" plexiglass so you can see thru it and retain the air going under the car vs. being trapped inside the front trunk.
qwikgta

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-23-2019 08:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for qwikgtaSend a Private Message to qwikgtaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

qwikgta

4659 posts
Member since Jan 2001

Originally posted by Dennis LaGrua:

This is a very nice Fiero; well put together and detailed. The LS3 is a great engine. I wish that my Fiero had one, but putting 430 horsepower and 424 ft lbs of torque into the small stick transmissions that can fit in this application is not something that I would feel comfortable with Even the F40 which is a strong six speed is rated for "up to 295 ft lbs of torque" but that rating might be generous for a 124 lb transmission. The F40 the strongest stick for transverse mounts is just not used on any OEM V8 applications anywhere. Typical use is for engines 2.0-3.9L size.

Yep, but this engine is the LS376 with 480/475 at the crank. As for the F40, this one was disassembled, cryo treated and has a Quaffie LSD. It may not be much, but i've read that cryo can add about 30% more strength. Its not for racing, just having fun. Trans has been in the car for almost 6 years. So far, so good.
qwikgta

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-23-2019 09:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for qwikgtaSend a Private Message to qwikgtaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

qwikgta

4659 posts
Member since Jan 2001

Originally posted by KissMySSFiero:

I love the black and tan.
What are the window switches out of? I've been wanting to do something different.
Do you have the power going through the switch?(like factory) Or are you running a relay of some sort?(Rodneys)

This car had crank windows from the factory. I installed an aftermarket power window kit, the one that puts an electric motor w/ nylon belt that spins the factory "crank" wheel. As for wiring I used the aftermarket kits harness and switch's for a few years, and then decided I didn''t like how big they were. The kit did have relay's and all I did was swap out the switch's. I wanted some nice looking black, low profile ones, and found them on a Saturn (not sure which one). I believe they had 5 wires and the harness had 5 wires, hooked them up and they worked great. Only thing I did different than stock was hook them up "HOT" all the time, so I can use them w/ out the key in.

Rob
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 6 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock