Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat
  qwikgta is having a LS3 swapped into his 88 coupe (Page 5)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 6 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
qwikgta is having a LS3 swapped into his 88 coupe by qwikgta
Started on: 10-20-2010 10:55 PM
Replies: 229 (14732 views)
Last post by: qwikgta on 01-23-2019 09:05 PM
josef644

Feedback score:    (71)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 103
Rate this member

Report this Post11-29-2010 11:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for josef644Send a Private Message to josef644Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Archie sometime I think you are beating on a dead horse. It just cant hear you.
IP: Logged
solotwo

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post11-29-2010 11:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for solotwoSend a Private Message to solotwoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Archie:

qwikgta started this thread as a nice build thread. He stated in his 1st post what transmission he was using negative comments about his choice. Yet people gave him just that for many posts. Why can't Fiero people just show fellow Fiero people a little respect?

It's just getting old.

Archie

Yes you are correct about it, it isnt like it used to be. I remember when I first joined. It has changed. Could be to many newbies dont have the class or common sense or proper up bringing the old members have!

Steve W
NE Grand Rapids, MI
88 Coupe

[This message has been edited by solotwo (edited 11-29-2010).]

JesseM

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-30-2010 12:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JesseMSend a Private Message to JesseMEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Keep on keeping on guys!
(Archie, who cares you get paid don't let the haters get to ya!)
(Qwik, you definitely know what you wanted, and I am glad you stayed with what you had in mind.)
RULOOKIN

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-30-2010 12:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RULOOKINClick Here to visit RULOOKIN's HomePageSend a Private Message to RULOOKINEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
enughf about the trani he has chosen to each is there own i say and by the way the trani he bought is a good one i almost bought it a while back it has been looked over by Enginiered Preformance and in Jeffs opinion it was in great shape,the PO went and installed a LSD and not some cheap one the LSD alone is worth $700 the trani also has hydrolic through bearing so no more bullshit with slave failure, and for most of us includeing me thats alot more trani than we have, I personaly love 5 speed would never go auto the 6 speed is an option but so is putting food on your table, if the car is driven with respect and not like your 16 again the trani will be fine,if you want to do burnouts, drag race,or dont know how to shift then ya go auto,
qwikgta enjoy it and Archies crew nice job maybe my next car will be in for a LS3 LOL i wish!!
dobey

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 371
User Banned

Report this Post11-30-2010 09:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Archie:
It never ends.

I don't know if I actually owe you an answer to what the real problem was, I've told you the solution.

My post answered your quote that was included with my answer.

Despite whatever you think, because of your past dealings with other people; I am not trying to antagonize you here.

"I don't know." is a valid answer sometimes. While installing a new ECM with a known working tune might be a solution in the broad sense of the word, it doesn't clarify what the issue is. Not that it matters in the end, but it is an interesting thing to know about. I was simply trying to understand the actual problem; and not the quickest solution that best suits your business needs. If you don't know what the actual problem is, that's fine. Then so be it. Since I'm doing a mildly modified LS4 swap, knowing what the actual problem was might help me if I run into the same issue. That is all. I've got better things to do with my life than stalk your builds and try to point out every tiny issue and twist it around, unlike some other people of a certain forum.

Sorry Rob, but I had to try and make it clear to Archie that I'm not trying to antagonize him. I was merely interested in the idle issue to increase my knowledge on the matter. I've seen lots of issues in the computing industry where a whole batch of CPUs or memory will have one minor fatal error in them, and this struck me as a similar thing; though 3 isn't enough to be sure on whether it's a manufacturing or software issue.
L67

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 219
User Banned

Report this Post11-30-2010 09:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for L67Send a Private Message to L67Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by dobey:
I've got better things to do with my life than stalk your builds and try to point out every tiny issue and twist it around, unlike some other people of a certain forum.

Unlike one person of a certain forum. Sorry, I'm not trying to start anything either, just saying.
Sourmug

Feedback score:    (29)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 144
Rate this member

Report this Post11-30-2010 02:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SourmugSend a Private Message to SourmugEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Nice build Rob, and cudos to Archie and his team!

Nolan
madcurl

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 314
Rate this member

Report this Post01-23-2011 01:07 AM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Dogcreek

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-23-2011 01:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DogcreekSend a Private Message to DogcreekEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yeah,

Ditto to what Nolan said!! Nice thread despite the brief "intermission."

Jeff
wftb

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-23-2011 02:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for wftbSend a Private Message to wftbEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
i always like archies build threads i dont care what he puts in (if you know me you know i am not a v8 fan) , i just like watching all the innovative stuff he does .the customer is always right and that is the way a good shop should be .lets see some finished pics....
qwikgta

Feedback score:    (21)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 84
Rate this member

Report this Post01-23-2011 10:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for qwikgtaSend a Private Message to qwikgtaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Video update.

Hey guys, no changes to the car. Almost have 500 miles on it. But with the crap wx we have been having, I have not been driving it much. I can't wait for some nice wx to drive it.

The other day I was coming home from a Fiero meeting, and traffic was pissing me off. When I got a chance to nail it, I did, and went from 40 to 70 in a second. It actually made me scream out loud. I can't get over the feelling of 480 hp in a Fiero. My GTO was fast, but not like this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QAH9yjw6XR0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L8uzQdcCf6Y
(wait for it, wait for it...... )

Rob

PFF
System Bot
kwagner

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-24-2011 05:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for kwagnerClick Here to visit kwagner's HomePageSend a Private Message to kwagnerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Nice vids How's the transmission holding up?
Navras

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-24-2011 06:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NavrasSend a Private Message to NavrasEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Beautiful work, beautiful motor... beautiful car, pre- and post-swap, for sure ! I'm fairly certain your car is the first car I ever saw with the lip spoiler. So thanks for the idea !

The motor pulled from the car was the 3.4L DOHC, yes ? Not that it much matters, but it looked to be a very clean, well-maintained engine. Most motors that I have seen pulled on this thread are typically dirty, tired, et cetera; I just wanted to give a kudos for keeping the original engine in such a good looking condition, as everyone else has beaten me to all of the other compliments that are warranted.
qwikgta

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-27-2011 09:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for qwikgtaSend a Private Message to qwikgtaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Navras:

Beautiful work, beautiful motor... beautiful car, pre- and post-swap, for sure ! I'm fairly certain your car is the first car I ever saw with the lip spoiler. So thanks for the idea !

The motor pulled from the car was the 3.4L DOHC, yes ? Not that it much matters, but it looked to be a very clean, well-maintained engine. Most motors that I have seen pulled on this thread are typically dirty, tired, et cetera; I just wanted to give a kudos for keeping the original engine in such a good looking condition, as everyone else has beaten me to all of the other compliments that are warranted.

Thanks for the words. I did luck out. The DOHC motor had 29K on it when I got it. I spent a few months cleaning and detailing it. Install took a while, but i didn't want to "Slap it" together. Some have done the swap (DOHC) in a few weekends, and I give them credit. I took a few years. I wanted everything done just right.

I didn't want to wait for the LS3 swap, I knew if I did it, it would take years again, and I want to enjoy the car, so I went to Archie.

a few old pics of the DOHC

Rob
Lonster

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-29-2011 09:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LonsterSend a Private Message to LonsterEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I want to give a shout out to Rob... I came from Indiana to visit inlaws in Virginia Beach, Virginia and remembered his build. I PM'ed Rob as a shot in the dark to see if I could check out his ride. Luckily, few days later I was in his driveway. The LS376 test drive was breath-taking. Definitely a drivers car; justifiably authoritative. The Archie install was impressive as was as all of the work he has done on the car himself. Spent nearly 2 hours talking about his car and experiences. Thanks for your time and tour of you fine fiero. Definitely made my spring break vacation!
qwikgta

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-30-2011 12:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for qwikgtaSend a Private Message to qwikgtaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
No prob. Had fun talking cars with you. Sounds like you have a good idea of what you want, and you have patiance to wait until you find it. Any time you want to chat about Fieros, feel free.

Rob
Jim88GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-30-2011 07:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Jim88GTSend a Private Message to Jim88GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
So after Bob and Dobey complete thier LS swaps, we just may have the highest per car horsepower average of any Fiero club in the nation! Might have to start a thread on that

Jim
dobey

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 371
User Banned

Report this Post03-30-2011 09:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Jim88GT:
So after Bob and Dobey complete thier LS swaps, we just may have the highest per car horsepower average of any Fiero club in the nation! Might have to start a thread on that

Jim

At the rate I'm going with all the travel I'm having to do, Bob might get his done first. But hopefully I can start getting stuff done in a couple weeks. Unfortunately also have way too much house and yard work I need to do as well.
A_Pegasi

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-30-2011 10:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for A_PegasiSend a Private Message to A_PegasiEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Jim88GT:

Jim

And speaking of progress...TRANNY IS ON ITS WAY!!!

------------------
A_Pegasi
RCHal486@aol.com

Malkier

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-18-2011 09:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MalkierSend a Private Message to MalkierEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by qwikgta:

Video update.

Hey guys, no changes to the car. Almost have 500 miles on it. But with the crap wx we have been having, I have not been driving it much. I can't wait for some nice wx to drive it.

The other day I was coming home from a Fiero meeting, and traffic was pissing me off. When I got a chance to nail it, I did, and went from 40 to 70 in a second. It actually made me scream out loud. I can't get over the feelling of 480 hp in a Fiero. My GTO was fast, but not like this.

Rob

qwikgta,
Just finished reading your thread; congrats on the great car. I'm a little jealous

Archie,
22+ years of installations speak for themselves. Way to go and keep up the good work!!

------------------
88 Fiero GT; 03 Sunfire; 86 Chevy Silverado; 09 Vibe GT; 57 Chevy Bel Air
"Be an optimist, at least until they start moving animals in pairs to Cape Kennedy." Anonymous.

Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post12-18-2011 11:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Video update.

Rob

You have 480 horsepower in an engine that weighs in at only 415 lbs. That's a very impressive power to weight ratio. No wonder the car performs as it does. Enjoy driving it.

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Flotech Afterburner Exhaust, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

PFF
System Bot
BV MotorSports

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 189
Rate this member

Report this Post12-18-2011 11:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BV MotorSportsSend a Private Message to BV MotorSportsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Thanks for the words. I did luck out. The DOHC motor had 29K on it when I got it. I spent a few months cleaning and detailing it. Install took a while, but i didn't want to "Slap it" together. Some have done the swap (DOHC) in a few weekends, and I give them credit. I took a few years. I wanted everything done just right.

I didn't want to wait for the LS3 swap, I knew if I did it, it would take years again, and I want to enjoy the car, so I went to Archie.

a few old pics of the DOHC

Rob

If my 3.4TDC resto turns out half as nice as this, I'd be "over the moon". You did a fantastic job on that swap Rob.
qwikgta

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-19-2011 11:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for qwikgtaSend a Private Message to qwikgtaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Steve.
I have more pics, and better ones too. I never got around to doing the "little things" to make the set up cleaner. After a while, I just wanted it to get done. I would have went back and moved some of the lines and wires to clean it up. I'd still be driving it with the DOHC if I never would have gotten that GTO. That LS power was hard to live without, and once I drove in a Fiero with an LS3 I just had to have one.

THanks guys for bringing this one back to the top, I need to update it.

More pics soon.

Rob
qwikgta

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-20-2011 10:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for qwikgtaSend a Private Message to qwikgtaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
some of the pics I took this last year. A few have been in various posts this year but I wanted to put some new ones here.

Overall it has been a great year with the car. The club has picked up a few new members, and soon we will have 2 additional LS based cars.

More pics soon

Rob
darkhorizon

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 451
Rate this member

Report this Post12-20-2011 11:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for darkhorizonSend a Private Message to darkhorizonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Any performance measurements? 60-130? trap speeds?
85FieroFL

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-27-2012 11:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 85FieroFLSend a Private Message to 85FieroFLEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
This is a beautiful build and i hope to have a Fiero just like this. I am fairly new to the Fiero scene, but i'm not going anywhere thanks to cars like this one. Hope the car is doing well.
Pete Matos

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-27-2012 01:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Pete MatosSend a Private Message to Pete MatosEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Just would like to say QUKGT that you have a really sweet car there man. Never thought I could like an olive drab green Fiero GT but somehow that thing pulls it off nicely. Like the wheels and the interior and the whole package works nicely together. As far as that engine goes......WOW did Archie and company do a beautiful job on it. It looks totally clean and like it was born there. That little action video of the car in the twisties proves enough to me that the car must absolutely haul major ass... You must be on cloud nine with that thing. It sounds great too. Unfortunately for me that kind of swap is above my pay grade but it sure is nice to see others enjoying it. Love the poweder coated cradle too it looks real sweet. You probably would win the award for the most unique and different fiero custom on here and you can guarantee that you will probably NEVER EVER pull up to a light right next to another car just like it LOL... Thanks for sharing your build and to Archie, regardless of what some here think from all the builds I have read and enjoyed that you have done on here it is clear in my mind at least who is the BEST Fiero shop in the land....Well done and congratulations on your success. Peace

Pete

qwikgta

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-28-2012 08:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for qwikgtaSend a Private Message to qwikgtaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Pete, 85FL;

Thanks for the kind words. I do love this car. It was not built for the track, it was built for fun. And I have a lot of fun driving and showing it. Archie and his crew did a great job, and I have done a few things myself. Its not done, and may never be, but its still something to look at. I didn't think I would like the color, but after two seasons I think it may just stay this color.

Here are a few more pics.

I need to get a few new photos of the new hood.

Rob

[This message has been edited by qwikgta (edited 12-28-2012).]

troyboy

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post12-28-2012 11:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for troyboySend a Private Message to troyboyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Here are a few more pics.

I need to get a few new photos of the new hood.

Rob

looking good!
Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post12-29-2012 02:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
One of my favorite cars...

[This message has been edited by Raydar (edited 12-29-2012).]

michhiker28

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-29-2012 04:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for michhiker28Send a Private Message to michhiker28Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Beautiful machine, and an inspiration.
PFF
System Bot
qwikgta

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-29-2012 10:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for qwikgtaSend a Private Message to qwikgtaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks guys. I'm looking forward to some warmer days so I can get out in the garage and get my new suspension/brakes on her. Not a visual thing, but it should drive/stop so much better.

Rob
qwikgta

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-09-2013 01:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for qwikgtaSend a Private Message to qwikgtaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
UPDATE: a few weeks ago I contacted Archie and ordered one of his 6 speed - F40 kits. I purchased a "0" mile F40 from Schram and had it sent to Archie so his guy could take it apart and cryo the guts. I also had him install a quaffie LSD at the same time. Since then I have gotten the trans, the kit and started what I am calling "operation trans-plant". I'm a week into it and so far I have dropped the motor/trans/cradle and modified the engine compatment with the new notch needed for the F40. I have sent the exhaust out for ceramic coat and i'm also getting a few odd n ends powdercoated too. I'll also do a little detailing and painting of some of the things that Rob and Chris didn't get time to get too. I'm a little nervous about taking the whole thing apart, well taking it apart is easy, its getting it all back together again and making it work is what i'm most nervous about. I'll get some pics up soon and provide some more data too.

Also a few months ago, I ordered a complete front end kit (tubular upper/lower A arms, QA1 coil overs/dropped spindles), rear Koni's and 13" brake kit from Arraurat Motorsports (HT Motorsports). I have a lot of work ahead of me and I have to get moving. I only have 49 more days until the 30th in Indy, and my plan is to drive out to it.

More soon

Rob

[This message has been edited by qwikgta (edited 05-13-2013).]

kwagner

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-09-2013 06:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for kwagnerClick Here to visit kwagner's HomePageSend a Private Message to kwagnerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Wow! That's a lot of work in a short time. Good luck!
qwikgta

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-09-2013 09:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for qwikgtaSend a Private Message to qwikgtaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
engines out

Notch done

F40 w/ Axles

Rob

[This message has been edited by qwikgta (edited 05-14-2013).]

KissMySSFiero

Feedback score:    (18)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 111
Rate this member

Report this Post05-10-2013 08:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for KissMySSFieroSend a Private Message to KissMySSFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Did the swap use stock axles with the getrag or was the engine still shifted? If so, how much?
qwikgta

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-10-2013 04:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for qwikgtaSend a Private Message to qwikgtaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by KissMySSFiero:

Did the swap use stock axles with the getrag or was the engine still shifted? If so, how much?

stock axles are used, but with a different inboard tripot on the pass side. The engine is moved a little to the drivers side and a longer tripot is used. The extra space serves two purposes, one it takes up the small amount of driver side shift, and two, it is needed so that the tripot can clear the ring gear on the flywheel.

Rob

[This message has been edited by qwikgta (edited 05-10-2013).]

GADJet

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-10-2013 04:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GADJetSend a Private Message to GADJetEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
WOW thats close!
qwikgta

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-12-2013 07:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for qwikgtaSend a Private Message to qwikgtaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
So the weekend update. Got the motor off the cradle, removed the trans, removed all the Getrag 5 speed stuff and attached all the F40 stuff.

then I went ahead and attached the F40 to the motor.

then put the motor/trans back onto the cradle. This was a pain in the *** but I did it. Then I had to level the motor/trans with the measurments I took before removing the 5 speed. Then I fit, modified, drilled and welded the trans mounts back onto the cradle.

more later.

Rob
PhantomMs1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-24-2013 02:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PhantomMs1Click Here to visit PhantomMs1's HomePageSend a Private Message to PhantomMs1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
how about an update? any progress, i am a late comer to this build but love it so far!!
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 6 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock