Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat
  85 GT Ecotec turbo project "Fierion" (Page 1)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 5 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
85 GT Ecotec turbo project "Fierion" by coppertop_01
Started on: 09-28-2010 10:53 AM
Replies: 166 (7654 views)
Last post by: Bridgetown on 10-04-2014 08:27 PM
coppertop_01

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-28-2010 10:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for coppertop_01Click Here to visit coppertop_01's HomePageSend a Private Message to coppertop_01Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Well it has been a long time since I posted on this board, I still check it regularly though. Things have changed with my project a little bit, nothing major but enough to start a new thread (also because the old thread is probably well into the archives by now). The project has a name now, she is now Fierion......because its part Fiero and part ION, yes I did strip my previous daily driver, my other baby a 04 ION redline for all the computer, wiring and other various bits and pieces that I was going to need for this project. The bonus with this is that I am going to modify the ION harness to run the Fiero, so I am going to gain all the options/upgrades in computer technology (keyless remote, electric power steering and other things) over using a 85 harness with a modern computer........on top of that, except having to stretch and cut wires down it should be easier to get working than the other ways.

I have a Blog that I keep updated, because posting everything over 4 different forums that I am on just becomes a real pain in the ass.

http://coppertopautosports.blogspot.com

Since I have finished off a couple other car projects recently the progress has been significant and constant, check it regularly because there is always new stuff going up.

Jer

------------------
I wish I could call you a tool, but tools have at least one use.

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
doublec4

Feedback score:    (20)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 150
Rate this member

Report this Post09-28-2010 12:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Good to see you post it up here! Should get some nice compliments
Scottzilla79

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-28-2010 12:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Scottzilla79Send a Private Message to Scottzilla79Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That is awesome!
Blacktree

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 350
Rate this member

Report this Post09-28-2010 02:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BlacktreeClick Here to visit Blacktree's HomePageSend a Private Message to BlacktreeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
SWEET!
coppertop_01

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-28-2010 02:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for coppertop_01Click Here to visit coppertop_01's HomePageSend a Private Message to coppertop_01Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for the comments, hoping to have the manifold test fit and start on the turbo and exhaust piping late this week/early next week.

Feel free to join the blog, this will keep you up to date with automatic updates, as well you can leave comments on there also.

Jer
darkhorizon

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 451
Rate this member

Report this Post09-28-2010 07:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for darkhorizonSend a Private Message to darkhorizonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
What turbo is that.. It looks like a 16g? I would NOT commit to a DSM flange if you can manage it, there are tons and tons of options if you go t3 or t4.
coppertop_01

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-28-2010 10:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for coppertop_01Click Here to visit coppertop_01's HomePageSend a Private Message to coppertop_01Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The turbo is a stock cobalt SS turbo.

Jer
coppertop_01

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-29-2010 09:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for coppertop_01Click Here to visit coppertop_01's HomePageSend a Private Message to coppertop_01Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Speaking of which, the turbo has been test mounted and the downpipe fabrication has started.

Jer
ccfiero350

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-30-2010 11:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ccfiero350Send a Private Message to ccfiero350Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Very Cool!

I'd like to see more of the intake manifold. Do you work in a sheet metal shop?
------------------
yellow 88 GT, not stock
white 88 notchie, 4 banger

[This message has been edited by ccfiero350 (edited 09-30-2010).]

coppertop_01

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-30-2010 11:34 AM Click Here to See the Profile for coppertop_01Click Here to visit coppertop_01's HomePageSend a Private Message to coppertop_01Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yes, actually its a shop that makes replacement/upgraded/modernization elevator control equipment (control panels, hall call buttons, etc), I am just waiting on one more piece off the CNC router for the intake manifold then I can start welding that all together.

Jer
ccfiero350

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-03-2010 10:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ccfiero350Send a Private Message to ccfiero350Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Love that cross member piece, I knew it had to be done in house, nobody here would have spent the time or money.

I do sheet metal design work for custom commercial kitchen counters.

------------------
yellow 88 GT, not stock

PFF
System Bot
coppertop_01

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-04-2010 06:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for coppertop_01Click Here to visit coppertop_01's HomePageSend a Private Message to coppertop_01Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
yeah I figured you did some kind of metal fabrication for a job, I've been watching your build up thread for a while, lots of attention to detail........love it.

BTW I put some pieces on order to make a upper control arm similar to yours, but mine is going to have a stock Fiero ball joint and polyurethane bushings where the arm meets the cross shaft.

Jer
ccfiero350

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-04-2010 08:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ccfiero350Send a Private Message to ccfiero350Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Do you guys have a water jet for thick parts?

------------------
yellow 88 GT, not stock

coppertop_01

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-04-2010 08:43 AM Click Here to See the Profile for coppertop_01Click Here to visit coppertop_01's HomePageSend a Private Message to coppertop_01Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have a 3000W laser that can cut 3/8" thick stainless, 1/2" mild steel and 1/8" alum.........but we have 2 CNC routers that can do thick alum if needed (I did some 1/2" thick alum for my intake manifold flange)

Jer
ccfiero350

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-04-2010 08:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ccfiero350Send a Private Message to ccfiero350Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Very cool. My shop just has a big 12x48' plasma table. I have another shop I use that has full blown Amada setup for precision work.

------------------
yellow 88 GT, not stock

coppertop_01

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-05-2010 09:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for coppertop_01Click Here to visit coppertop_01's HomePageSend a Private Message to coppertop_01Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
New post on the blog, got most of the exhaust system mocked up........I had a small problem with the alignment of mufflers requiring a large amount of work to fix, nevermind maybe causing a problem with the pipes sticking too far out the bumper, need some input.

Due to the location of the turbo, and not being able to mount the exit more center in the car, the mufflers are sitting 1" off center to the rear of the car..........I can angle the mufflers so the tips are centered, but visually it won't look right with the mufflers on an angle, or I can leave them where they are and with some creative tip design and bumper design make it so that you will never see the error..............or I can rework the pipes after the final bend with a S bend in the pipe, shifting it 1" to the left, but doing this might make the pipes stick out too far. Personally I think that I might go with the S bend and risk the length being too long, but I'm really torn.

Jer
ccfiero350

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-05-2010 10:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ccfiero350Send a Private Message to ccfiero350Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Looking real good!

I did something simular on the GT,

Which required some looping.

But they ended up a little long with the diffusers in, but still looked cool.

I suggest you mock up your mufflers were you want them to be, and see if you can remake your down tube/ y-pipe with enough bias to one side to get what you need.

Also may want to see about a brace or support for the turbo. It's hanging out there pretty good.

Great job so far. Taking notes for when I go turbo.

------------------
yellow 88 GT, not stock

coppertop_01

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-06-2010 06:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for coppertop_01Click Here to visit coppertop_01's HomePageSend a Private Message to coppertop_01Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Unfortunately there isn't enough room for a downpipe redesign, I have 1/2" spacing between the downpipe, jack/half shaft and transmission.........as it stands now I might have to header wrap and ceramic coat some parts to keep the heat off other parts.

I will be bracing the turbo more, once the final welding to the header/exhaust is done.........

Jer
ccfiero350

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-06-2010 08:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ccfiero350Send a Private Message to ccfiero350Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Have you looked at tube donuts for tighter radius bends?

------------------
yellow 88 GT, not stock

coppertop_01

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-06-2010 09:30 AM Click Here to See the Profile for coppertop_01Click Here to visit coppertop_01's HomePageSend a Private Message to coppertop_01Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
yeah.........at this point I'll stick with what I have, but I will still try to center the pipes better.

Jer
ccfiero350

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-06-2010 09:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ccfiero350Send a Private Message to ccfiero350Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Can't wait to see the pictures.

------------------
yellow 88 GT, not stock

PFF
System Bot
ccfiero350

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-12-2010 08:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ccfiero350Send a Private Message to ccfiero350Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
How did the exhaust turn out?

------------------
yellow 88 GT, not stock

coppertop_01

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-12-2010 09:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for coppertop_01Click Here to visit coppertop_01's HomePageSend a Private Message to coppertop_01Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
came out good, check out the pics in a few mins, going to do some final welding tomorrow and mount the exhaust hanger.......then I start with the intake system.

Jer

[This message has been edited by coppertop_01 (edited 10-12-2010).]

ccfiero350

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-12-2010 10:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ccfiero350Send a Private Message to ccfiero350Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Very nice, very nice.

Keep up the great work!

What does it look like with the bumper skin on?

------------------
yellow 88 GT, not stock

[This message has been edited by ccfiero350 (edited 10-12-2010).]

coppertop_01

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-13-2010 07:07 AM Click Here to See the Profile for coppertop_01Click Here to visit coppertop_01's HomePageSend a Private Message to coppertop_01Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
haven't gotten that far, and since the body is going to be very custom and modified from the stock pieces I will be building the bumper to fit the exhaust. I have a vision in my minds eye.........we will see what it looks like, also since the mufflers stick out so far I might have to forgo the exhaust tips and do something similar to street bikes for the exhaust tip.

Not turned down like that or blue burnt as well, but angle cut and get a trim pieces machined for the backside ring of the muffler so it isn't so ugly.

Jer
ccfiero350

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-13-2010 08:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ccfiero350Send a Private Message to ccfiero350Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
There is something that is very cool about cars with exhaust tips in the middle rather then at the corners.

------------------
yellow 88 GT, not stock

coppertop_01

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-15-2010 10:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for coppertop_01Click Here to visit coppertop_01's HomePageSend a Private Message to coppertop_01Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
CC, got something new yesterday that might grab your interest.........especially seeing your front suspension, brake and wheel setup

Jer
ccfiero350

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-15-2010 10:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ccfiero350Send a Private Message to ccfiero350Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
So so very cool.

Does he have any more?

------------------
yellow 88 GT, not stock

coppertop_01

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-15-2010 10:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for coppertop_01Click Here to visit coppertop_01's HomePageSend a Private Message to coppertop_01Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
dunno, next time I see him or run by his shop I can ask.

Jer
ccfiero350

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-15-2010 11:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ccfiero350Send a Private Message to ccfiero350Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I've seen a few brembo units from new camaro's run around $350 with rotors on ebay but they do not have radial mounts like the unit you posted. What did you have to fork out for those beuts?

------------------
yellow 88 GT, not stock

coppertop_01

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-19-2010 05:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for coppertop_01Click Here to visit coppertop_01's HomePageSend a Private Message to coppertop_01Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
started welding some aluminum today.........what has come to light is, I might be pretty good with TIG welding stainless and mild steel, I need a lot more practice with aluminum, granted my boss has given me a couple pointers so it should get better tomorrow.

Jer
PFF
System Bot
ccfiero350

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-19-2010 07:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ccfiero350Send a Private Message to ccfiero350Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Good looking start. I don't have a lot of practice on aluminum either.

------------------
yellow 88 GT, not stock

coppertop_01

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-26-2010 09:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for coppertop_01Click Here to visit coppertop_01's HomePageSend a Private Message to coppertop_01Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
New welding update, got the hanger situation figured out, intake runners are welded on.

Jer
ccfiero350

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-26-2010 10:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ccfiero350Send a Private Message to ccfiero350Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Looks really good. Posted a comment on your blog.

Can't wait to see the plenum.

What are you going to use for a throttle body?

------------------
yellow 88 GT, not stock

coppertop_01

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-27-2010 07:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for coppertop_01Click Here to visit coppertop_01's HomePageSend a Private Message to coppertop_01Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I am going to be using a larger (than the ION) TB from a 6cyl Colorado, can't remember the engine code, but its the TB from one of those, best thing is that it completely bolts onto the same bolts and connects to the wiring harness the same way, so there is no modifications needed.

Jer
ccfiero350

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-27-2010 08:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ccfiero350Send a Private Message to ccfiero350Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Good deal, I found an adapter from CBM to bolt up a TB from an LS motor.

I was looking back at some of earlier posts, are you changing the rear suspension?

------------------
yellow 88 GT, not stock

coppertop_01

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-27-2010 09:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for coppertop_01Click Here to visit coppertop_01's HomePageSend a Private Message to coppertop_01Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yes I am looking into it.........I want something similar to the 88's, but using a 85 cradle, of course completely custom, maybe using CTS rear knuckles (heard they are stamped steel and easy to modify.

Jer
ccfiero350

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-27-2010 10:11 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ccfiero350Send a Private Message to ccfiero350Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Are you looking to change track width or run some big rubber?

------------------
yellow 88 GT, not stock

coppertop_01

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-27-2010 11:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for coppertop_01Click Here to visit coppertop_01's HomePageSend a Private Message to coppertop_01Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
maybe, wouldn't mind running some 9's or 10's in the rear..........but I don't want to have to be getting custom axles either, so I might just stick with stock dimensions in the rear and go with a different offset custom rear wheel.

Jer
ccfiero350

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-27-2010 11:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ccfiero350Send a Private Message to ccfiero350Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Are you using the big MU3/F35 5 speed with the LSD?

If you are, I've been working on something that might interest you.

------------------
yellow 88 GT, not stock

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 5 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave