Started on: 09-27-2010 12:41 PM
Replies: 246 (35478 views)
Last post by: bmwguru on 08-07-2017 04:31 AM
bmwguru

Feedback score:    (38)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 131
Rate this member

Report this Post07-03-2013 04:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for bmwguruClick Here to visit bmwguru's HomePageSend a Private Message to bmwguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by CoolBlue87GT:

I know who the new owner is !!

//www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum1/HTML/092218.html

This week, we had to add cruise control as per the new owner. It took me a few weeks to figure out how to do that as there isn't a thottle body on a diesel. You can take the intake manifold off and still run the engine on a diesel. Anyway, I wound up using a Jetta cruise stalk and wired it in, but the tricky part was getting the brake switch signals to read correctly. The first attempt lead to engine codes and a flashing glow plug light, but after going through the cruise testing procedure, I got the system to work as if it were still in the Jetta.
Dave
IP: Logged
CoolBlue87GT

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 151
Rate this member

Report this Post07-03-2013 09:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for CoolBlue87GTSend a Private Message to CoolBlue87GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by bmwguru:

This week, we had to add cruise control as per the new owner. It took me a few weeks to figure out how to do that as there isn't a thottle body on a diesel. You can take the intake manifold off and still run the engine on a diesel. Anyway, I wound up using a Jetta cruise stalk and wired it in, but the tricky part was getting the brake switch signals to read correctly. The first attempt lead to engine codes and a flashing glow plug light, but after going through the cruise testing procedure, I got the system to work as if it were still in the Jetta.
Dave

This was a huge task I asked for, I was afraid couldn't be done. After searching many VW & diesel forums, I saw where many people tried & failed at adding cruise to TDI that was transplanted into a non VW. I was confident in bmwguru's abilites to figure out a way to get it done. When the TDI community realizes someone has figured out how to overcome this hurdle, Dave will be inundated with requests for information on how he mastered this.

The past few weeks as bmwguru was working on this, I received calls he was still trying, but couldn't get it yet. Yesterday when Dave called me, I held my breath waiting for the final yes / no answer, Dave announced, "you now have a working cruise control", I was so happy. What great news. Thank you Dave.

I don't know how many of you use your own cruise control, but I use mine every day, can't stand driving a car without one. Since adding one to a car I had back in 1974, I've had one in each car. I remember ordering a 79 Capri w/ 4 sp, asked for cruise, the dealer said no, that's only for automatics, turned out, this was the first year Ford offered it with a manual. Of course, it's common place nowadays. All they had to do was add a 2nd brake switch to the clutch pedal, took them a long time to figure that out.

[This message has been edited by CoolBlue87GT (edited 08-05-2017).]

johnyrottin

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 85
Rate this member

Report this Post07-03-2013 10:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for johnyrottinSend a Private Message to johnyrottinEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
With his talents I wouldn't be surprised to hear that Dave has figured out how to install the new speed variable cruise control/braking system that cars on the newer side have in them! Nice one Dave!
Ian F

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-03-2013 10:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Ian FSend a Private Message to Ian FEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I totally hear you on the cruise control. I use mine every day as well. I can tolerate the absence in my classic cars, but in a car for DD use it would be mandatory.

Congrats on the purchase! Unfortunately, the automatic was a deal-breaker for me. Well... that and the price...
bmwguru

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-04-2013 07:11 AM Click Here to See the Profile for bmwguruClick Here to visit bmwguru's HomePageSend a Private Message to bmwguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I never thought of the cruise control. I used to drive to Louisiana and back in my Mercedes SUV and I hardly used it. I grew up on the shore, so once Summer comes I don't get to use my 4th and 5th gears anymore. My major requirements of a car I own are: manual transmission and power windows.

If I did plan the cruise from the start of the build, I would have used the Jetta combination switch on the column and have that function the cruise, turn signals and high beams.

Dave
CoolBlue87GT

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 151
Rate this member

Report this Post08-05-2017 01:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CoolBlue87GTSend a Private Message to CoolBlue87GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
What a shame the 3rd party hosting photobucket has ruined 90% of the photo's that were posted. At least the video's are still viewable.

Would be a huge undertaking trying to repost all those lost photos.

I restored all the photo's in the "Life with TDI Fiero" thread, will attempt to repost the Lost photo's here that I added.

Not sure if bwwguru would be able to repost his, as it's a time consuming process.

[This message has been edited by CoolBlue87GT (edited 08-05-2017).]

bmwguru

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-07-2017 04:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for bmwguruClick Here to visit bmwguru's HomePageSend a Private Message to bmwguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by CoolBlue87GT:

What a shame the 3rd party hosting photobucket has ruined 90% of the photo's that were posted. At least the video's are still viewable.

Would be a huge undertaking trying to repost all those lost photos.

I restored all the photo's in the "Life with TDI Fiero" thread, will attempt to repost the Lost photo's here that I added.

Not sure if bwwguru would be able to repost his, as it's a time consuming process.

I have all the photos on an external hard drive. I've never really liked photobucket and I definitely don't like them enough to pay them a monthly fee.
My shop has grown immensely and I only find myself browsing the forum about once a month due to my lack of time.

Dave
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 7 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock