Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat
  Custom Dash Trim Kits And Digital Gauges (Page 1)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
Custom Dash Trim Kits And Digital Gauges by IMSA GT
Started on: 09-19-2010 09:15 PM
Replies: 46 (6667 views)
Last post by: TBSB9595 on 08-25-2020 09:42 PM
IMSA GT

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 251
Rate this member

Report this Post09-19-2010 09:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IMSA GTSend a Private Message to IMSA GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I know many people are familiar with Tom's products but for those of you who aren't, he makes blue and red digital gauges for the Fiero and also a really clean dash trim kit. For those interested, his website is www.tomsdigitalelectronics.com

He also has a couple threads about his products that have not gotten the attention they deserve:
For the Gauges: https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum4/HTML/034606.html
For the Dash Trim Kit: https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum4/HTML/041729.html

Here are a couple of pics:

[This message has been edited by IMSA GT (edited 07-12-2012).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
donnie072003

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-19-2010 09:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for donnie072003Click Here to visit donnie072003's HomePageSend a Private Message to donnie072003Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
God I love the look of these gauges. Wish I could afford a set. Thats IMSA thats one more thing on my wish list! lol
Australian

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-20-2010 06:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AustralianClick Here to visit Australian's HomePageSend a Private Message to AustralianEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
This may complement the look it is a dash cover.

http://cyco.home.cyberverse...parts/rpa/rpaint.htm
Macs86GT

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-20-2010 08:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Macs86GTSend a Private Message to Macs86GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Has anyone ever dealt with these guys though?
GADJet

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-20-2010 12:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GADJetSend a Private Message to GADJetEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Those look SICK. But, for $500.00, I am going with a 3.4L swap. Much more bang for the buck. I would be more apt to buy these for 1/2 the cost. Those are way too high!
Sourmug

Feedback score:    (29)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 144
Rate this member

Report this Post09-20-2010 01:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SourmugSend a Private Message to SourmugEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by GADJet:

Those look SICK. But, for $500.00, I am going with a 3.4L swap. Much more bang for the buck. I would be more apt to buy these for 1/2 the cost. Those are way too high!

Hmm, let's see:

1. Specifically designed for the Fiero which is a niche market (low volume)

2. Essentially plug and play installation.

3. Price up a set of good quality aftermarket digital gauges and see how they compare, quite reasonable I think.

4. New bezels included. You would have to purchase custom bezels or make your own for aftermarket gauges.

I don't think you understand the amount of work and costs involved to make something like this.

Just my $0.02 and not ment as a flame.

Nolan
IMSA GT

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 251
Rate this member

Report this Post09-20-2010 01:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IMSA GTSend a Private Message to IMSA GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thats the whole thing. Tom MAKES these things. I'm sure a lot of knowledge went into the design and a LOT of testing.
GADJet

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-20-2010 01:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GADJetSend a Private Message to GADJetEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Sourmug:

Hmm, let's see:

1. Specifically designed for the Fiero which is a niche market (low volume)

2. Essentially plug and play installation.

3. Price up a set of good quality aftermarket digital gauges and see how they compare, quite reasonable I think.

4. New bezels included. You would have to purchase custom bezels or make your own for aftermarket gauges.

I don't think you understand the amount of work and costs involved to make something like this.

Just my $0.02 and not ment as a flame.

Nolan

I am sure they are great quality and they look fantastic. However the problem I run into, is for the cost I could pep up the powertrain instead of the looks. I am sure this will be a great buy for others that are well advanced in their build than I am. No doubt there is a ton of time and knowledge in these. I hope I didnt come off as you understanding me to think they were cheap or something. That is farther from the truth than anything. I just am not in the market for that at this point. But yes, they are nice.

YellowArtero

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-20-2010 06:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for YellowArteroSend a Private Message to YellowArteroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have a set and I know of two others. All seem to suffer from grounding problems that affect the fuel and temp. It often makes them inaccurate. We have tried all kinds of ways to add new grounding but have had little success. However, I do really like the look.

The Fieromaster

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 104
Rate this member

Report this Post09-20-2010 07:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for The FieromasterSend a Private Message to The FieromasterEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
They are sweet.... Not to offend anyone but allot of Fiero people wont spend big money on parts like that... For the LONGEST time I have seen people offer amazing products relatively fair priced get dumped on because they are "too expensive". I am a robotic technician and we build all of our own control panels also, i KNOW the work that goes into electrical design and testing. Plus the price of good parts... I had looked into doing parts before for guys (custom tig welded intake manifolds, cold air intakes, and such). I had a LOT of interest but what they wanted to pay would cover my parts + a HAIR more money.... Not worth the work and lost time from family/friends.

As for the gauges... I just dont have 500$ to spend on that kind of thing... Like others, if I had the 500$ I would probably spend it on motor swap parts or maybe brake upgrade or bump stop eliminator suspension. However, they are sick and if i had a SHOW car then id be on those things like crazy.
Hockaday

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-20-2010 07:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for HockadaySend a Private Message to HockadayEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
its a great product and is cheap imo for all the work involved and a great look. yes money is '' better '' spent on performance for most...but what after? these are great finishing touches.

------------------
Cliff's 610th Positive Feedback Giver.
#12 NYFOC Member
In recent times, the custom aftermarket car/automobile roadwheel has become a status symbol. These wheels are often incorrectly referred to as "rims". The term "rim" is incorrect because the rim is only the outer portion of a wheel (where the tire is mounted )

PFF
System Bot
CommanderKeen

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-21-2010 12:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for CommanderKeenSend a Private Message to CommanderKeenEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'll be buying some this winter for sure. I thin they'll go well with a PISA wrap around.
Australian

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-21-2010 05:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AustralianClick Here to visit Australian's HomePageSend a Private Message to AustralianEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Yep and after the swap is done and nitrous turbos brakes suspension etc what will you spend your money on? There will be someone wanting it warranting the hours of labor depends what stage you are at or priorities.
GADJet

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-21-2010 11:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for GADJetSend a Private Message to GADJetEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Australian:

Yep and after the swap is done and nitrous turbos brakes suspension etc what will you spend your money on? There will be someone wanting it warranting the hours of labor depends what stage you are at or priorities.

That my friend is exactly why I said this.....

I am sure this will be a great buy for others that are well advanced in their build than I am.

TBSB9595

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-05-2011 05:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TBSB9595Click Here to visit TBSB9595's HomePageSend a Private Message to TBSB9595Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks everybody for your kind words on my digital gauge kit!
Tom
Jake_Dragon

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 403
Rate this member

Report this Post05-05-2011 06:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Jake_DragonSend a Private Message to Jake_DragonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have been close to buying these a couple of times. Price the same gages in an aftermarket setup and they are a good price.
When I get some other things fixed on my car I will be getting some. I may even convert my corvette
timgray

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 59
Rate this member

Report this Post05-05-2011 06:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for timgrayClick Here to visit timgray's HomePageSend a Private Message to timgrayEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

You will never find anything for "1/2" the cost. and these are a very good price for what they are.

[This message has been edited by timgray (edited 05-05-2011).]

GADJet

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-06-2011 03:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GADJetSend a Private Message to GADJetEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by timgray:

You will never find anything for "1/2" the cost. and these are a very good price for what they are.

I can't argue that. Your totally missing what I am saying here. Let me cap it so you all understand. *NICE PRODUCT, JUST NOT FOR ME AT THIS TIME*
TBSB9595

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-11-2012 09:37 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TBSB9595Click Here to visit TBSB9595's HomePageSend a Private Message to TBSB9595Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by IMSA GT:

I know many people are familiar with Tom's products but for those of you who aren't, he makes blue and red digital gauges for the Fiero and also a really clean dash trim kit. For those interested, his website is www.tomsdigitalelectronics.com

He also has a couple threads about his products that have not gotten the attention they deserve:
For the Gauges: https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum4/HTML/034606.html
For the Dash Trim Kit: https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum4/HTML/041729.html

Here are a copule of pics:

Thanks for all your kind words on my products!
BV MotorSports

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 189
Rate this member

Report this Post07-11-2012 11:11 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BV MotorSportsSend a Private Message to BV MotorSportsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Please stop posting about these gauges! I want them so bad I cant stand it! I have decided I am not spending another dime on Fieros until my 88GT gets back from Whodeanies!
oldbikeracer

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-11-2012 04:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for oldbikeracerClick Here to visit oldbikeracer's HomePageSend a Private Message to oldbikeracerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You need to sell an old man a set for around $100.00 including shipping. I am a deserving person and work on my 1987 Gt as often as possible. I would safety, performance test them for your for free at that price. Just kidding, I would dearly love to have them but since my Social Security check has to go for home and food I can not do it. Great looking stuff, keep building them and perhaps in a few years I can save up for them.
Mike

[This message has been edited by oldbikeracer (edited 07-11-2012).]

PFF
System Bot
1988holleyformula

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 68
Rate this member

Report this Post07-11-2012 04:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 1988holleyformulaSend a Private Message to 1988holleyformulaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I found Tom's digital dash kits within the first month of buying my Fiero. Definitely planning on grabbing a kit once I'm out of college and I have money to spend on my Fiero.

Great product, and awesome initiave to R&D something like that specifically for the Fiero enthusiast.
Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post07-11-2012 05:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I don't have a problem with the price but putting nice modern looking gauges in an old dated looking 80's console is like putting a Studebaker dash in a Ferrari. I believe that a custom dash would show these muh better..

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP /Frozen Boost Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Powerlog manifold, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Flotech Afterburner Exhaust, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

[This message has been edited by Dennis LaGrua (edited 07-11-2012).]

oldbikeracer

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-11-2012 08:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for oldbikeracerClick Here to visit oldbikeracer's HomePageSend a Private Message to oldbikeracerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Have yo looked at a dash from a 1956 Studebaker Golden Hawk? Full set of S&W gauges in a machine turned aluminum dash, looked very good and would go in a Ferrari and still look good.
Mike
bjc 350

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-12-2012 01:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for bjc 350Send a Private Message to bjc 350Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
For all the guys who didn't want to pay full price, I found this set on ebay about a month ago.The seller listed them three times before I finally bought them at a buy it now price of $299. They were brand new, never installed GT style in green, with a shifter plate cover. I since bought Tom's heater/radio cover to match. He makes great products- I had really wanted them at his regular price, but jumped on this bargain basement set. It is hard to get glare free pictures,however.

Kitskaboodle

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-12-2012 01:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for KitskaboodleSend a Private Message to KitskaboodleEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have Tom's black lexan gauge trim pkg kit and I love it.
Fit & finish is very good and I like the look a lot better than the factory brushed silver finish.
They especially show well if you have white-face gauges. (which I have from Speedhut)
Kit
1988holleyformula

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 68
Rate this member

Report this Post07-12-2012 02:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 1988holleyformulaSend a Private Message to 1988holleyformulaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
After seeing that kit installed, and for such a great price, I did something I've never done before; I took the time to hit the "Like" button and actually logged-in to "Like" a PFF thread.

Aaron

[This message has been edited by 1988holleyformula (edited 07-12-2012).]

Reallybig

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-12-2012 04:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ReallybigSend a Private Message to ReallybigEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by oldbikeracer:

Have yo looked at a dash from a 1956 Studebaker Golden Hawk? Full set of S&W gauges in a machine turned aluminum dash, looked very good and would go in a Ferrari and still look good.
Mike

Is this the studebaker dash you are referring to?
adrian1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-12-2012 06:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for adrian1Send a Private Message to adrian1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Those dash kits are beautiful! My browser is heading their right now!
oldbikeracer

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-13-2012 07:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for oldbikeracerClick Here to visit oldbikeracer's HomePageSend a Private Message to oldbikeracerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
YES that is the Studebaker dash I was talking about. Is that nice or what. My father had one and I drove it a lot and got to look at those beautiful instruments a lot while leaving the Chevys and Ford in the dust. Getting old sucks but I have driven some of the finest cars that ever existed. 63 1/2 Split windows Corvette Coupe, Ford GT500 and GT350, 427 435 hp 4 speed Corvette, 55 Thunderbird, 427 Yenko Camerao, Pantera, and several others. Just drove them, did not own any as they were out of my price range. Now just my 87 Fiero GT and Wifes 2011 Mitsubishi Eclipse GS Sport.
TBSB9595

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-17-2012 09:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TBSB9595Click Here to visit TBSB9595's HomePageSend a Private Message to TBSB9595Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks everyone for your kind remarks on my trim and gauge kits!
PFF
System Bot
TBSB9595

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-27-2012 06:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TBSB9595Click Here to visit TBSB9595's HomePageSend a Private Message to TBSB9595Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
TTT
TBSB9595

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-09-2013 11:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TBSB9595Click Here to visit TBSB9595's HomePageSend a Private Message to TBSB9595Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Back at ya!!

[This message has been edited by TBSB9595 (edited 08-28-2013).]

TBSB9595

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-28-2013 09:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TBSB9595Click Here to visit TBSB9595's HomePageSend a Private Message to TBSB9595Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Anyone else out there ready for some digital gauges?
fierosound

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 286
Rate this member

Report this Post08-28-2013 09:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by The Fieromaster:

They are sweet.... Not to offend anyone but allot of Fiero people wont spend big money on parts like that...
For the LONGEST time I have seen people offer amazing products relatively fair priced get dumped on because they are "too expensive".

Agreed. Lots of Fiero owners fall into 2 groups: Poor or Cheap.

Poor - don't have the money (so everything is too expensive for them)
Cheap - have but don't want to spend the money (they think everything is overpriced)

------------------
My World of Wheels Winners (Click on links below)

3.4L Supercharged 87 GT and Super Duty 4 Indy #163

TBSB9595

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-26-2013 08:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TBSB9595Click Here to visit TBSB9595's HomePageSend a Private Message to TBSB9595Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yes i understand they are not for everyone. The people that they are for do love them!

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post09-26-2013 11:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Dennis LaGrua:

I don't have a problem with the price but putting nice modern looking gauges in an old dated looking 80's console is like putting a Studebaker dash in a Ferrari. I believe that a custom dash would show these muh better..

I always thought digital guages matches the car well. Even in its original 80s trim.

I mean KITT had these:

JDWheat

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-01-2016 01:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JDWheatSend a Private Message to JDWheatEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Just had to try and bring this thread back. I just got my guages and love them and dont seem to have a ground problem as someone had stated. Thanks Tom for still making and selling these. will be getting another set with in the year when I finish the formula.
Fiero Thomas

Feedback score:    (170)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 125
Rate this member

Report this Post05-02-2016 12:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero ThomasSend a Private Message to Fiero ThomasEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fierosound:

Cheap - have but don't want to spend the money (they think everything is overpriced)

Count me in the poor category

------------------
1992 SVX LS-L
2006 BMW 330I
2009 Dodge Charger
2009 Dodge Challenger SRT8

FieroNews
FieroNews Spare Tire Cover
Fieronews Shifter boots

E.Furgal

Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 278
User Banned

Report this Post05-02-2016 08:11 AM Click Here to See the Profile for E.FurgalSend a Private Message to E.FurgalEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fierosound:

I think it's more like this..
you buy a 2010 Camaro or mustang for 10k then a 500.oo upgrade,change isn't so bad..

when you buy a fiero for 200-1500.oo a 500.oo upgrade needs a long hard look,
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock