Started on: 08-31-2010 01:16 PM
Replies: 37 (1700 views)
Last post by: exoticse on 08-16-2016 04:21 PM
tbone42

Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 128
Rate this member

Report this Post08-31-2010 01:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tbone42Send a Private Message to tbone42Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
This build thread is to document the stuff I have been doing on my car. I did not like the way it was laid out before, so I am in the process of re-vamping it and making it more historically accurate with pictures from the beginning.

Here's where I will start:

I bought a 1986 four cylinder sports coupe with 56k miles from Anaheim California and has it shipped to Ohio in April of 2010. That's how it all started, and a lot of work later and several technical help threads in the Tech Discussions has gotten my car on the road and happy it is in much better shape than before.

The Car (Already sporting my Enkei WDM 16" wheels):

I had plenty on the list to do, this will be a restore with some customization. Stay tuned!

[This message has been edited by tbone42 (edited 04-24-2012).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
tbone42

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-31-2010 01:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tbone42Send a Private Message to tbone42Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
First off, I want to say goodbye to my old Fiero, an 86 SE four cylinder that got too rusty where the front cradle attaches to drive safely.

I stripped it down and sold most of the parts I was not planning on keeping. Eventually it looked like this:

[This message has been edited by tbone42 (edited 04-23-2012).]

tbone42

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-31-2010 05:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tbone42Send a Private Message to tbone42Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

tbone42

8477 posts
Member since Apr 2010
Under Construction Interior Swap outs - Do gauges, steering column and wheel, etc.

Out come the old seats..

In go the Mr. Mikes...

Out comes the dashboard, in goes the better dash pocket...

Steering column and wheel has to GO.. I am a 250 lb man, and I have one of the few fieros out there that came with no tilt steering!
Here's the switch..

Starting to look NICE in there..

tbone42

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-31-2010 05:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tbone42Send a Private Message to tbone42Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

tbone42

8477 posts
Member since Apr 2010
Another PFF member and I did a roof swap! I now have a sunroof car and he has the hardtop.. which he could not be more pleased about. The topic is currently archived here:
https://www.fiero.nl/forum/A...120111-2-109675.html

I would re-post it but I do not know how to pull photos from an archived topic since you can neither quote nor edit posts. We had a lot of fun, though, and the 5.5 hour trip was totally worth it to Pittsburgh to do the work. We wrapped it up in about 4 hours for both cars.

Valkyrie

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-31-2010 06:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ValkyrieSend a Private Message to ValkyrieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Awesome build thread, I'll be watching this one.

Just curious, where/how bad was the rust on your 86 SE? I couldn't spot any in the pictures, but maybe cause I'm from Canada and rust is about 1000 times worse up here.

Are you planning on swapping the Aero parts onto this new one or are you keeping it as a bumperpad? I've always been a sucker for aero notchbacks.

Edit: That HVAC control looks different from the others without AC that I've seen. Or is it just me?

[This message has been edited by Valkyrie (edited 08-31-2010).]

tbone42

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-31-2010 06:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tbone42Send a Private Message to tbone42Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yep, HVAC is an aftermarket AC. Compressor clutch is locked up, so gonna have to replace at least that eventually. I am probably the only fiero owner worldwide that has that HVAC, am I lucky or what?

The rust was terrible underneath by the front cradle bushing links.. it melted like ice cream when we tried to weld on some new iron. Reallly bad under the battery tray side.

I am leaving my New Fiero a bumperpad, but I have plans coming to do the nose custom, Stay tuned!

mattwa

Feedback score:    (41)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 88
Rate this member

Report this Post08-31-2010 09:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mattwaSend a Private Message to mattwaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by tbone42:

The rust was bad on passenger side front and rear cradle links to the chassis. I could poke my finger right through to the other side. I tried to have new metal welded in to attach new links under the passenger side, but it just kept melting like ice cream.. there was nothing there all the way up under the passenger side to almost the door pins.. all rotted. Also, my engine would 'flex; in the cradle while driving, eating up drive and AC belts every few weeks.. it just would not stay still in there. This happened because of an undiagnosed water pump leak, as well as a battery explosion by the PO who never cleaned it up.. completely destroyed the p-side of the frame. If you look, you'll see I had put a new battery tray in, it was hard finding metal to attach even that to.

As far as the body panels, I THOUGHT about swapping them. Then I saw Tina's car. Now the pads are staying! I have grown quite accustomed to the way the notch bumper looks over the last 4 months, it will be a different color, but stay a BP. Going back to the smoke gray metallic.

That may be an aftermarket HVAC control... the car has aftermarket AC hooked up (Compressor is currently broken - bad clutch) and if you look at the slider, if you go ALL the way left, that turns the AC on. Almost all the way left is vent. It took me a month to figure that out... only to find out the compressor is bad.

Thanks for your interest, I hope to keep this going through paint and maybe eventually an engine swap.

That HVAC system is an aftermarket A/C system, so that Fiero didn't have A/C to start with, it was added on later.
I know this for a fact because 1. of that HVAC control 2. It has a non A/C rad fan, and 3. you see can the aftermarket A/C crap in the front compartment along with the crimped wires.

[This message has been edited by mattwa (edited 08-31-2010).]

tbone42

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-31-2010 10:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tbone42Send a Private Message to tbone42Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
.. because I already said it didn't. I just was not sure if the HVAC control was original to non-AC fieros, since this is the first non-ac one I ever owned. Anyhow, since it came from so-cal, I can see why someone added an AC later. Its hot out there.It was easiest for me to spot it as non-ac equipped because the evaporator is way up near the headlight on the driver's side and is not standard. (Cannot see from my pic..) I have since moved those crimped wires to make room for the new sunroof pad. Looks much better.

I appreciate it, though Matt.

mattwa

Feedback score:    (41)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 88
Rate this member

Report this Post08-31-2010 11:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mattwaSend a Private Message to mattwaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

.. because I already said it didn't. I just was not sure if the HVAC control was original to non-AC fieros, since this is the first non-ac one I ever owned. Anyhow, since it came from so-cal, I can see why someone added an AC later. Its hot out there.It was easiest for me to spot it as non-ac equipped because the evaporator is way up near the headlight on the driver's side and is not standard. (Cannot see from my pic..) I have since moved those crimped wires to make room for the new sunroof pad. Looks much better.

Ok, nevermind then, Sorry. Just trying to help.
tbone42

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-31-2010 11:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tbone42Send a Private Message to tbone42Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Under Construction slave cylinder replacement

tbone42

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-28-2010 02:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tbone42Send a Private Message to tbone42Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Under Construction- heavy duty swaybar and endlinks

PFF
System Bot
tbone42

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-31-2010 03:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for tbone42Send a Private Message to tbone42Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Close up of the new(er) wheels from my other car..

Some other shots.. no rust, unlike the last Fiero...

Ok, maybe a little surface rust on the air cleaner..

Under the front..

tbone42

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-01-2010 01:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tbone42Send a Private Message to tbone42Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Interior is done.. for now. Still want a stainless bezel kit (gonna get it from Rich), short shifter and boot, and shifter knob covered in leather.

I want to customize some more with Fiero Thomas, just don't have the cash to do it at the moment. Visors, spare cover, booklet wallet.. just have to wait.

josef644

Feedback score:    (71)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 103
Rate this member

Report this Post11-01-2010 03:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for josef644Send a Private Message to josef644Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Looks good to me. I had him build me a set of visors. Look real nice.

Did you get the TB I sent ya?
tbone42

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-01-2010 08:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tbone42Send a Private Message to tbone42Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I did get it and installed it on the Indy. The problem was the fuel pump, but that TB looked much better than the old one by leaps and bounds! Thanks again Josef.

tbone42

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-22-2011 12:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for tbone42Send a Private Message to tbone42Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I ordered some vent covers and a dash trim kit from Rich here on the forum. He does very nice work and I recommend him to all of you who want to customize a bit.

In the mean time.. added trunk popper

Also swapped the radio in from a 98 T/A, swapped in the 120 mph speedo cluster and added the aux gauges!

tbone42

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-26-2011 12:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for tbone42Send a Private Message to tbone42Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Rich's vent covers, powdercoated by FieroX. I am pretty pleased with the way they came out.. installed pics coming next.

silver 85 sc

Feedback score:    (40)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-26-2011 08:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for silver 85 scSend a Private Message to silver 85 scEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Sweet!!! Love how you dressed them up.

Rich

tbone42

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-26-2011 12:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tbone42Send a Private Message to tbone42Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Vent covers installed

Dang it, now I have to paint the rest of the car. Like making a clean spot...

Daredevil05

Feedback score:    (25)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-26-2011 03:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Daredevil05Send a Private Message to Daredevil05Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Looking sweet there.

The Riv
82-T/A [At Work]

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 198
Rate this member

Report this Post03-26-2011 03:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 82-T/A [At Work]Send a Private Message to 82-T/A [At Work]Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Nice, I totally missed this thread...

The previous car looked like all it really needed was some patching behind the battery tray, and a new cradle?
PFF
System Bot
Scottzilla79

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-26-2011 06:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Scottzilla79Send a Private Message to Scottzilla79Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Those vents look cool, what color are you painting the car?
tbone42

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-26-2011 07:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tbone42Send a Private Message to tbone42Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Ford smoke gray metallic. Same color as the original Fiero I had before.. just love that color so much, and I think with the red and black accents it will look pretty good.

Example:

tbone42

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-26-2011 07:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tbone42Send a Private Message to tbone42Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

tbone42

8477 posts
Member since Apr 2010
New Shifter Boot for my short shifter from Fiero Thomas:

Installed:

tbone42

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-23-2012 06:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tbone42Send a Private Message to tbone42Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Just put Rodney's poly trans mounts and this solid dog bone for 4 cylinder he made for me into the car. The ride has a little more vibe to it, but it does not flex the engine when i hit the gas anymore. You used to feel it pretty bad when I would.

tbone42

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-23-2012 07:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tbone42Send a Private Message to tbone42Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

tbone42

8477 posts
Member since Apr 2010
Nosecone ideas from another thread I made:

I am leaning toward the 2nd one so I can have driving lights like Tina's car. Still not sure how I am gonna make this, probably make a fiberglass mold for the bumper and then bolt it on to the orginal nose. (Thanks to Rogergarrison for the idea)

Just figured out that I have never used my sig in my own build thread.. the pose should look familliar...

------------------

"Maybe we should call you Meat Head...!"

FieroMaster88

Feedback score:    (43)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 168
Rate this member

Report this Post04-23-2012 09:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroMaster88Send a Private Message to FieroMaster88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That really would change the look of the bumper pad front end. I like it.

------------------

88 Coupe: 2.0L Turbo 4 Cylinder
84 Indy #64: Restoration Project!

tbone42

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-24-2012 02:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for tbone42Send a Private Message to tbone42Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Well James, hopefully you will get to see that project right here and soon. I still have my heat evacuator hood I need to finish first.

Installed Stainless Dash Trim Kit made by Rich... I cannot tell you how pleased I am with everything this man has done for the Fiero Community. A real mid-engine customizing machine.

As you can probably tell, I reconditioned my ashtray doors and repaired my shifter surround pod.. no more cover-up cap. Also installed a Rodney Dickman Shifter rebuild kit and a leather covered shift knob, I think it looks excellent.

The car is really starting to come together now.

tbone42

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-24-2012 03:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tbone42Send a Private Message to tbone42Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
On the menu today:

Air Conditioning is fixed and blowing cooollllddd. Had to shag down the right sized belt for the aftermarket AC system. It had a tensioner pulley that I also had to break loose.. I would like to get a new one of those pretty soon here, if I can find one that matches.

Did the conversion and blew out my service port, so at this moment I have a quick-connect for a vacuum pump holding that valve closed.

Replaced the drier, evacuated the system, vacuum pumped it to get the moisture out... added 4 cans of 134a.. and *brrrrr* it works.

Car runs just a bit rougher with the AC turned on, so I definitely see a new tensioner pulley in the near future.

*pictures pending*
no2pencil

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-24-2012 04:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for no2pencilSend a Private Message to no2pencilEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Wow! What a great looking interior & those grill covers are awesome!
bonzo

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 51
Rate this member

Report this Post02-23-2013 09:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bonzoSend a Private Message to bonzoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Rich's vent covers, powdercoated by FieroX. I am pretty pleased with the way they came out.. installed pics coming next.

Could you back light those?

------------------

84 Show winner
88 LT1

PFF
System Bot
tbone42

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-07-2014 06:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tbone42Send a Private Message to tbone42Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Looong time without an update. Long time without any work.

We just took care of some mechanical issues recently, now working on the suspension again.

I just got Rodney's aluminum clutch master and.. my God.. THAT'S what a clutch should feel like??? Wow. High quality, went in fast and smoothly, no surprises or disappointments.

Getting her ready for a no-destination trip west.. got new KYBs on the way, and will be ordering tie rods from Rodney in just a second. New tires. Also changed out the lock set, only driver side was working.

I'll get some pics up .. well... soonish.

Above comments - Thanks for the compliments, and yes, I do not see why not to backlighting. If you have a nice engine compartment and put a couple LEDs in there, it would look sharp with light coming up through.
Tony Kania

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 305
User Banned

Report this Post06-08-2014 12:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Tony KaniaSend a Private Message to Tony KaniaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hey there T. Looong time no hear from. Whatsamattayou? . Just nice to see you post. Last I heard the shop was doing well. Hope things are the same. Peace Brother.
jscott1

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 415
Rate this member

Report this Post06-08-2014 01:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I just was not sure if the HVAC control was original to non-AC fieros, since this is the first non-ac one I ever owned....

Just discovered your thread. For future reference your HVAC panel is the standard one for a Fiero with no a/c...although it must have been modified to operate the aftermarket a/c.

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post06-09-2014 10:43 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Good to see you posting Tbone
tbone42

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-13-2016 05:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tbone42Send a Private Message to tbone42Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Gonna bump this so it does not archive, got a lot more coming up that I will be doing including paint. Stay tuned.
Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post08-13-2016 08:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Cool! Good ta see ya'!
exoticse

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 108
Rate this member

Report this Post08-16-2016 04:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for exoticseSend a Private Message to exoticseEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Loving this thread. 👍

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock