Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat
  Pontiackid86's 84 DGP IMSA Stage III build thread. (Page 8)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 21 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18   19   20   21 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
Pontiackid86's 84 DGP IMSA Stage III build thread. by pontiackid86
Started on: 08-06-2010 01:28 PM
Replies: 839 (30180 views)
Last post by: IMSA GT on 06-03-2021 07:59 PM
pontiackid86

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 344
Rate this member

Report this Post09-18-2010 08:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pontiackid86Send a Private Message to pontiackid86Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks a bunch guys. I cant wait to get her on the road.,... It drives me nuts just sitting in it. Thomas i'm going to be comming to you foir visors when i get everything running wise situated.
IP: Logged
Fiero Thomas

Feedback score:    (170)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 125
Rate this member

Report this Post09-18-2010 08:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero ThomasSend a Private Message to Fiero ThomasEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
sounds good to me. I would love to make a set for that car.

------------------
1985 Fiero GT 4speed 1986 Fiero GT
1997 Supercharged GTP 2005 Cobalt with a twist

FieroNews~Boots~Bag's~Walle ts~Headliner~Spare Cover~
Visors~Sunshads and T-Top Sunshades~Download the Fieronews Catalog HERE~

KurtAKX

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 128
Rate this member

Report this Post09-19-2010 03:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KurtAKXSend a Private Message to KurtAKXEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
put an engine in this soon...

Anyone should be able to get a stock Duke in and running quick.

[This message has been edited by KurtAKX (edited 09-19-2010).]

pontiackid86

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-19-2010 06:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pontiackid86Send a Private Message to pontiackid86Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by KurtAKX:

put an engine in this soon...

Anyone should be able to get a stock Duke in and running quick.

I'm having trouble finding a good running duke to put in there temporarly. i want to steer away from the 84 duke cause of the fire problems I was told i can use an 85-86 if i use an 84 ignition system on it.

Hulki U. My-BFF

Feedback score:    (25)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 248
Rate this member

Report this Post09-19-2010 07:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Hulki U. My-BFFSend a Private Message to Hulki U. My-BFFEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by pontiackid86:

I'm having trouble finding a good running duke to put in there temporarly. i want to steer away from the 84 duke cause of the fire problems I was told i can use an 85-86 if i use an 84 ignition system on it.

What fire problems on the 84? The fire problems were resolved with the recall that replaced the 3qt oil pan to the 4qt oil pan.
Vernon8360

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-19-2010 08:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Vernon8360Send a Private Message to Vernon8360Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Nice machine and good work PK. I am officially green with envy.

------------------
1988 GT
Manual
Medium Red Metallic
Gray Leather

RWDPLZ

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 304
Rate this member

Report this Post09-19-2010 08:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RWDPLZClick Here to visit RWDPLZ's HomePageSend a Private Message to RWDPLZEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Hulki U. My-BFF:

What fire problems on the 84? The fire problems were resolved with the recall that replaced the 3qt oil pan to the 4qt oil pan.

He's probably referring to the defective connecting rod problem.
av8fiero

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-19-2010 08:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for av8fieroSend a Private Message to av8fieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I don't think they changed the pan, I think they just changed the dipstick and added more oil to the pan to reach the new full line

------------------
BLACKKER 1988 black choptop v8

http://www.foxvalleyfieros.webs.com/

Hulki U. My-BFF

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-19-2010 08:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Hulki U. My-BFFSend a Private Message to Hulki U. My-BFFEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by RWDPLZ:

He's probably referring to the defective connecting rod problem.

Yeah, I thought the connecting rod problem was the 3qt oil pan running low and throwing a rod through the block.
KurtAKX

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 128
Rate this member

Report this Post09-20-2010 10:11 AM Click Here to See the Profile for KurtAKXSend a Private Message to KurtAKXEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

... I was told i can use an 85-86 if i use an 84 ignition system on it.

True.
Firefox

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 240
Rate this member

Report this Post09-20-2010 11:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FirefoxSend a Private Message to FirefoxEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It's been 26 years.....if it hasn't blown up yet, I'd think an 84 engine would be fine.....
PFF
System Bot
GADJet

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-20-2010 01:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GADJetSend a Private Message to GADJetEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I have an 86 duke! How bad ya want it? :P
pontiackid86

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-20-2010 05:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pontiackid86Send a Private Message to pontiackid86Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by GADJet:

I have an 86 duke! How bad ya want it? :P
I want it really bad. PM me with the details.

Brians86SE

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-20-2010 07:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Brians86SESend a Private Message to Brians86SEEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Re: recall
I've heard it both ways. A bad batch of connecting rods and the specification of 3 quarts of oil. But the fix for the low oil was a different dipstick, not a new oil pan.

My 86 owners manual still called for 3 quarts (w/ or w/o filter) so it must have taken them a while to get that straightened out!

brian
steve308

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 57
Rate this member

Report this Post09-20-2010 08:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for steve308Send a Private Message to steve308Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hey PC --- How's your dad doing ---- didn't know which post to look in so I just chose this one. PS - cars looking pretty good !
pontiackid86

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-20-2010 08:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pontiackid86Send a Private Message to pontiackid86Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by steve308:

Hey PC --- How's your dad doing ---- didn't know which post to look in so I just chose this one. PS - cars looking pretty good !

Hes doing good. hes going to be going back in for bypass surgery in a few weeks, they doctors expect him to pull through just fine. Thanks for asking .. thanks for the complement on the car to brotha
fencerenu

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-20-2010 08:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fencerenuSend a Private Message to fencerenuEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Can you PLEASE chop the top???? like the car - IMSA chop top notchie would be AWESOME

pontiackid86

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-20-2010 08:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pontiackid86Send a Private Message to pontiackid86Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fencerenu:

Can you PLEASE chop the top???? like the car - IMSA chop top notchie would be AWESOME

No can do dude. Car has way to much history behind it to do that kind of custom work. it woul look pretty good though

My other fiero might see a choptop someday though

[This message has been edited by pontiackid86 (edited 09-20-2010).]

Back On Holiday

Feedback score:    (17)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 153
Rate this member

Report this Post09-20-2010 09:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Back On HolidaySend a Private Message to Back On HolidayEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
PM sent, I found a 87 4-tech, not sure of the details of the engine(mileage, etc) but PM you the info
pontiackid86

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-21-2010 08:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pontiackid86Send a Private Message to pontiackid86Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I may have landed a motor for it
mattwa

Feedback score:    (41)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 88
Rate this member

Report this Post09-21-2010 08:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mattwaSend a Private Message to mattwaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yea chop tops look cool, but I don't like them. Why? Because I barely have any headroom as it is, my head hits the headliner on non-sunroof Fiero's.
PFF
System Bot
pontiackid86

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-21-2010 08:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pontiackid86Send a Private Message to pontiackid86Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by mattwa:

Yea chop tops look cool, but I don't like them. Why? Because I barely have any headroom as it is, my head hits the headliner on non-sunroof Fiero's.

Thats because you are an abnormaly tall individual i feel small in my fiero.

Hulki U. My-BFF

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-21-2010 08:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Hulki U. My-BFFSend a Private Message to Hulki U. My-BFFEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Would you PLEASE do some work on that car?!
mattwa

Feedback score:    (41)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 88
Rate this member

Report this Post09-21-2010 08:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mattwaSend a Private Message to mattwaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Yes I am. I have the seat all the way back, it fits my long legs. The challenge is the size 15 shoe doesn't fit well under the dash.

Your talking to PK right? He just started a dash swap on his 87. Personally I don't plan to do a dash swap, I like the current dash, with some small tweaks.
pontiackid86

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-21-2010 08:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pontiackid86Send a Private Message to pontiackid86Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Lol why so you dont have to compete aganst my 87 in custom fastback at littiz

If all goes well i'm going to have a motor for it this weekend. Than its gungho for littiz

[This message has been edited by pontiackid86 (edited 09-21-2010).]

Hulki U. My-BFF

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-21-2010 08:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Hulki U. My-BFFSend a Private Message to Hulki U. My-BFFEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Lol why so you dont have to compete aganst my 87 in custom fastback at littiz

If all goes well i'm going to have a motor for it this weekend. Than its gungho for littiz

When my car is finished in 50 years, there will be no competition.
pontiackid86

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-21-2010 08:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pontiackid86Send a Private Message to pontiackid86Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Got an email about another score on an original part to this car... i'm sure im going to catch a lot of sh*t for it but these are original to the car so there going back in... yes thoes ugly sheep skin/suade seats

Carcenomy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-22-2010 02:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for CarcenomyClick Here to visit Carcenomy's HomePageSend a Private Message to CarcenomyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Sheepskin! I can dig it!

------------------

pontiackid86

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-22-2010 02:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for pontiackid86Send a Private Message to pontiackid86Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Carcenomy:

Sheepskin! I can dig it!

Lol i really dont like them either to much but i want to replace everything that the RPO sheet said it has so this kinds screwed me seat wise.... but i can learn to dig um.

[This message has been edited by pontiackid86 (edited 09-22-2010).]

av8fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-23-2010 09:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for av8fieroSend a Private Message to av8fieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Ehh its just one of thoes cars that you have to be careful what you do with it. This wasn't a car that I put together. It was something put together back in 1984 for a very special purpose in the IMSA races. It wasn't something someone threw together in a garage.

I'm wondering about the history of your car. Your car is a street car and not one of the IMSA tube chassis race cars. Is it the street car in the Car and Driver article? If so it looks quite different i.e. new paint, wheels, interior changes, etc. Is the original paint under the dole race team style paint? While I have no doubt your car is a very early DGP IMSA I do question wether it is the C/D car built by John Callies and his group. If so do you have any documentation of that? What is the special purpose of this car? Please explain the history.

Not that I'm doubting you but there seems to be many differences between your car and the magazine car. I'd like to see some documentation to prove it's historical signifigance to the Fiero community. Without such proof it's just a nice conversion. Either way you still have a very nice car and I wish you success in your project

------------------
BLACKKER 1988 choptop v8

N.I.F.E. member #461
http://www.fierofocus.com/

fencerenu

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-23-2010 09:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fencerenuSend a Private Message to fencerenuEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Looks good now... Thanks for selling it to me... I'm gonna put a supercharged chevy small block in it... and bolt on turbo whistlers on the tailpipes...

PFF
System Bot
Fiero Thomas

Feedback score:    (170)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 125
Rate this member

Report this Post09-23-2010 10:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero ThomasSend a Private Message to Fiero ThomasEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Looks good now... Thanks for selling it to me... I'm gonna put a supercharged chevy small block in it... and bolt on turbo whistlers on the tailpipes...

The whistler is the dumbest crap I have ever seen. Thats just my opinion

------------------
1985 Fiero GT 4speed 1986 Fiero GT
1994 BMW 530 V8 2005 Cobalt with a twist

FieroNews~Boots~Bag's~Walle ts~Headliner~Spare Cover~
Visors~Sunshads and T-Top Sunshades~Download the Fieronews Catalog HERE~

fencerenu

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-23-2010 10:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fencerenuSend a Private Message to fencerenuEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
lol - How could you make fun of this??

[This message has been edited by fencerenu (edited 09-23-2010).]

pontiackid86

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-23-2010 11:11 AM Click Here to See the Profile for pontiackid86Send a Private Message to pontiackid86Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Lol dreamer's

Cars still in my driveway people.

pontiackid86

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-23-2010 11:19 AM Click Here to See the Profile for pontiackid86Send a Private Message to pontiackid86Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

pontiackid86

19632 posts
Member since Sep 2008

Originally posted by av8fiero:

I'm wondering about the history of your car. Your car is a street car and not one of the IMSA tube chassis race cars. Is it the street car in the Car and Driver article? If so it looks quite different i.e. new paint, wheels, interior changes, etc. Is the original paint under the dole race team style paint? While I have no doubt your car is a very early DGP IMSA I do question wether it is the C/D car built by John Callies and his group. If so do you have any documentation of that? What is the special purpose of this car? Please explain the history.

Not that I'm doubting you but there seems to be many differences between your car and the magazine car. I'd like to see some documentation to prove it's historical signifigance to the Fiero community. Without such proof it's just a nice conversion. Either way you still have a very nice car and I wish you success in your project

I know the car does have somthing to do with the dole team. Just not sure how it relates to it yet. (having the vin researched) The car in the mag is the actual racer. Mine (if the vin comes up what i'm sure it will come up) is a promo car to the racer. I have no doubt that it is because even when looking under the car theres things under there that i'v never seen on a normal fiero (defuser's bracket's etc). I still need the vin checked but also if it wasent the real thing most times people would get the kit and do there own thing with it not do it up to be a replica of the dole car (pannels paint SD4 which isant in it anymore)

fencerenu

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-23-2010 11:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fencerenuSend a Private Message to fencerenuEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I know the car does have somthing to do with the dole team. Just not sure how it relates to it yet. (having the vin researched) The car in the mag is the actual racer. Mine (if the vin comes up what i'm sure it will come up) is a promo car to the racer. I have no doubt that it is because even when looking under the car theres things under there that i'v never seen on a normal fiero (defuser's bracket's etc). I still need the vin checked but also if it wasent the real thing most times people would get the kit and do there own thing with it not do it up to be a replica of the dole car (pannels paint SD4 which isant in it anymore)

I don't know if this helps or not, but wikipedia has a listing of Fiero VINs...
pontiackid86

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-23-2010 11:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for pontiackid86Send a Private Message to pontiackid86Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I don't know if this helps or not, but wikipedia has a listing of Fiero VINs...

I might look into that. I dont know if theres is a VIN decoder or not. I'm looking to bring up the vehical's in depth history.

fencerenu

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-23-2010 11:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fencerenuSend a Private Message to fencerenuEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
all i'm sayin' is this... pretendin' you 'can't get it running' while beboppin' around town in your sweet chop top widebody has gotta be misery... come clean already lol
pontiackid86

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-23-2010 11:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for pontiackid86Send a Private Message to pontiackid86Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

all i'm sayin' is this... pretendin' you 'can't get it running' while beboppin' around town in your sweet chop top widebody has gotta be misery... come clean already lol

Lol with any luck it will be running this weekend.
av8fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-23-2010 12:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for av8fieroSend a Private Message to av8fieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I've seen several DGP IMSA's painted up like that. Your car wasn't the only one. Is the SPI fender tag still on the car? Can you take and post a pic of it? It appears you're making good progress on this car, good luck with your build

edit to add--- I just ran a search on The_stickman2 looking for any history he may have found on your car. All that was there was speculation as to it's history. It appears to be a very early car but from what I saw there was never any documentation found as to who built it or what is was built for. Looking through that thread it doesn't appear to be a validateable prototype/promotional car. I'm not saying it isn't what you hope it to be, but nothing has surfaced to prove it is such.

RAREW66 commented in some of the threads and really only seemed mainly interested in the SD4 as those parts are harder and harder to find.. He is a big time Fiero collector and very knowledgable as to Fiero history. If he wasn't interested in the car I would say it most likely wasn't built by or for Pontiac/GM.

It may have been built by DGP, or another company or race team for promotional purposes, but I don't know how you could prove that. You could possibly run a title search on the car to track down previous owners and that may lead you back to who, when, where, and for what, the car was built.

I wouldn't be suprised though if you find out in the end it is merely an IMSA bodied fiero that had an SD4 installed. If that's what it turns out to be you still have a VERY interesting special car, build it and enjoy it

------------------
BLACKKER 1988 choptop v8

N.I.F.E. member #461
http://www.fierofocus.com/

[This message has been edited by av8fiero (edited 09-23-2010).]

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 21 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18   19   20   21 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock