Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat
  Pontiackid86's 84 DGP IMSA Stage III build thread. (Page 17)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 21 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18   19   20   21 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
Pontiackid86's 84 DGP IMSA Stage III build thread. by pontiackid86
Started on: 08-06-2010 01:28 PM
Replies: 839 (30198 views)
Last post by: IMSA GT on 06-03-2021 07:59 PM
Indiana87GT

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-13-2010 09:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Indiana87GTSend a Private Message to Indiana87GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Gald you got her back, have fun!

Originally posted by pontiackid86:

The IMSA is finaly home. I'm still having shifting issues with it (i think i still have air in the line) but she is fialy home i took it out around my neighborhood for a little "i have one and you dont cruise " but all in all im happy with it. still some work to be done but its gettin there.

IP: Logged
N3M3S1S

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 51
Rate this member

Report this Post12-14-2010 01:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for N3M3S1SSend a Private Message to N3M3S1SEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Glad to see she's home. Now then. How long before it's back in? lol
pontiackid86

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 344
Rate this member

Report this Post12-14-2010 02:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for pontiackid86Send a Private Message to pontiackid86Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It deffenetley has air in the clutch line.. i went out and tried putting it into gear and with each pump of the clutch it got easyer and easyer to put it into gear. i'm probabley gona switch out the slave cylinder.
Hulki U. My-BFF

Feedback score:    (25)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 248
Rate this member

Report this Post12-14-2010 08:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Hulki U. My-BFFSend a Private Message to Hulki U. My-BFFEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

It deffenetley has air in the clutch line.. i went out and tried putting it into gear and with each pump of the clutch it got easyer and easyer to put it into gear. i'm probabley gona sell the car to Hulki for about $100.

Are you sure that this one has been properly bled? Did you use Archie's instructions?
chrishahn87

Feedback score:    (22)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-14-2010 09:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for chrishahn87Send a Private Message to chrishahn87Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Ok, so after 17 pages...

-Did you get that sweet short shifter installed?
-What motor did you end up installing (you were working on a 4.9 last time I looked on here
-What transmission did you end up with (I see that you need to bleed the clutch)
-Read Archie's clutch bleeding technique. Ive done it many more times that I would like to talk about.... If you need any help with it let me know, and ill do what I can.
-Is there anything else that might have happened to the car that might interest someone who knows you?

I dont really feel like reading through 17 pages of insults, comebacks, shockers, haters being banned, and just a little BUILD in a build thread.
Chris
Hulki U. My-BFF

Feedback score:    (25)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 248
Rate this member

Report this Post12-14-2010 09:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Hulki U. My-BFFSend a Private Message to Hulki U. My-BFFEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by chrishahn87:

Ok, so after 17 pages...

Chris

No, Chris, his mechanic has not installed the sweet short shifter yet. Maybe February.
Back On Holiday

Feedback score:    (17)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 153
Rate this member

Report this Post12-14-2010 09:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Back On HolidaySend a Private Message to Back On HolidayEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hey, now that its home, can we have some pics for this build thread?
chrishahn87

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-14-2010 10:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for chrishahn87Send a Private Message to chrishahn87Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Hulki U. My-BFF:

No, Chris, his mechanic has not installed the sweet short shifter yet. Maybe February.

Awww, hell !!! Its not that hard! How many have I installed for people during Fiero shows? -You too Hulki! Your wife's Fiero is waiting for its shifter too!
pontiackid86

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-15-2010 12:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for pontiackid86Send a Private Message to pontiackid86Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Back On Holiday:

Hey, now that its home, can we have some pics for this build thread?

I'll take some tomorrow. Its just way to damn cold out to do anything with it.
pontiackid86

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-15-2010 12:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for pontiackid86Send a Private Message to pontiackid86Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

pontiackid86

19632 posts
Member since Sep 2008

Ok, so after 17 pages...

-What motor did you end up installing (you were working on a 4.9 last time I looked on here
-What transmission did you end up with (I see that you need to bleed the clutch)
-Read Archie's clutch bleeding technique. Ive done it many more times that I would like to talk about.... If you need any help with it let me know, and ill do what I can.
-Is there anything else that might have happened to the car that might interest someone who knows you?

I dont really feel like reading through 17 pages of insults, comebacks, shockers, haters being banned, and just a little BUILD in a build thread.
Chris

1. No havent installed it yet lol already having enough troubvle shifting it right now as is
2. just another duke for the time being
3. isuzu 5 speed for now
4. i'll be doing his bleeding trick this weekend
5.i dont get the question lol

chrishahn87

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-15-2010 06:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for chrishahn87Send a Private Message to chrishahn87Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

5.i dont get the question lol

I was just looking for any other things that you might have done to the car that I didnt know you did... I didnt read through all the insults......
PFF
System Bot
pontiackid86

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-15-2010 11:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for pontiackid86Send a Private Message to pontiackid86Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I was just looking for any other things that you might have done to the car that I didnt know you did... I didnt read through all the insults......

Ohhh. not really just chenged the decklid back to an 84 style and had a few other small things here and there. nothing major to say the least.

pontiackid86

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-19-2010 09:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pontiackid86Send a Private Message to pontiackid86Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Not much done on it lateley.. i took it out for a short drive today to BOH house to show hulki u my BFF (he said he would stomp my head if i bought down the solstice over it) i alos now see that i have a major wobble in the steering wheel so i have to figure that problem out.. its running pretty nice though.

And no for the comments that are comming.. i havent sold it

[This message has been edited by pontiackid86 (edited 12-19-2010).]

N3M3S1S

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 51
Rate this member

Report this Post12-19-2010 09:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for N3M3S1SSend a Private Message to N3M3S1SEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
How well does it do with those tires and a duke? Because you've got a couple hardcore hills around there.
pontiackid86

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-19-2010 11:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pontiackid86Send a Private Message to pontiackid86Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by N3M3S1S:

How well does it do with those tires and a duke? Because you've got a couple hardcore hills around there.

It does OK. i have to take off at about 3000 RPM's or it struggels pretty bad but this could be due to bad timing. my mechanic said he thinks it still might be off a tick or so but it dosent do bad at all. the front steering wobble's way to much though.

Blacktree

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 350
Rate this member

Report this Post12-20-2010 12:11 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BlacktreeClick Here to visit Blacktree's HomePageSend a Private Message to BlacktreeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by pontiackid86: It does OK. i have to take off at about 3000 RPM's or it struggels pretty bad...

That doesn't sound OK to me. Something is really out of whack.

I'm guessing your Duke has a distributer? If so, put a timing light on it (remember to jumper the diagnostic terminals), and set it straight. It would also be a good idea to hook up a scanner (not just a code reader, but an actual scanner), and check the sensor readings. It is possible for a sensor to be malfunctioning, but not throw a code. I've had that happen before.

Best of luck.
pontiackid86

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-20-2010 12:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for pontiackid86Send a Private Message to pontiackid86Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Blacktree:

I'm guessing your Duke has a distributer? If so, put a timing light on it (remember to jumper the diagnostic terminals), and set it straight. It would also be a good idea to hook up a scanner (not just a code reader, but an actual scanner), and check the sensor readings. It is possible for a sensor to be malfunctioning, but not throw a code. I've had that happen before.

Best of luck.

I'm going to be having my guy do that.. i also think a sensor is screwed because it seems to run like a top whenits bitter cold out but when it warms up it screws up a little.. I'll keep everyone updated on it.

Gokart Mozart

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 159
Rate this member

Report this Post12-20-2010 07:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Gokart MozartClick Here to visit Gokart Mozart's HomePageSend a Private Message to Gokart MozartEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I'm going to be having my guy do that.. i also think a sensor is screwed because it seems to run like a top whenits bitter cold out but when it warms up it screws up a little.. I'll keep everyone updated on it.

Originally posted by Hulki U. My-BFF:

DAYS IN SHOP:

pontiackid86

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-20-2010 12:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pontiackid86Send a Private Message to pontiackid86Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
IMSA and the Solstice together

pontiackid86

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-24-2010 04:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pontiackid86Send a Private Message to pontiackid86Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The IMSa is 98% there... aside from needing new pads and rotors and its still hard shifting it is pretty much driveable. I took it out for a nice 20 mile ride today and besides for shifting there wasent a hickup with it..... I love it

I also took it out and got a nice christmas wash...

[This message has been edited by pontiackid86 (edited 12-24-2010).]

turboguy327

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 174
Rate this member

Report this Post12-25-2010 07:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for turboguy327Send a Private Message to turboguy327Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Blacktree:

I'm guessing your Duke has a distributer? If so, put a timing light on it (remember to jumper the diagnostic terminals), and set it straight.

Best of luck.

He is scared of ignition systems. And his grandma hasnt bought him a timing light yet.

PFF
System Bot
pontiackid86

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-25-2010 07:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pontiackid86Send a Private Message to pontiackid86Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by turboguy327:

He is scared of ignition systems. And his grandma hasnt bought him a timing light yet.

Your really going to start trashing my threads now? and no im not scared of ignitions systems I'm not to great with a timing light...... You teach your retard brother how to not start a car on jacks yet.. mabey you can teach him how to drive a bus so he can be just like you.

17Car

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-25-2010 07:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 17CarSend a Private Message to 17CarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Wait......PK, you have a Solstice?
I give up trying to keep track of your cars.....
Don't know much about the duke, but the ignition system can't be that hard to diagnose, you did replace all the old ignition components when you put the duke in right?
pontiackid86

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-25-2010 07:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pontiackid86Send a Private Message to pontiackid86Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 17Car:

Wait......PK, you have a Solstice?
I give up trying to keep track of your cars.....
Don't know much about the duke, but the ignition system can't be that hard to diagnose, you did replace all the old ignition components when you put the duke in right?

They ignition system on the car is fine Turbodouchbag just dosent know how to read details he only knows how to push a lawnmower and fail at life like everyone else on his family tree.

And yup i replaced all the components with 84 components (its an 86 engine) the 84 i got the parts out of had low miles and was in good shape besides for a pushed in front end. The IMSA is running fine. i put a good 20+ miles on it today for a nice fun Xmas drive.

And yes i bought a solstice. My brother wrecked out buick on a patch of black ice and hit a tree so in turn the money he got from it he bought my eclipse from me and i went and bought the solstice. got a hell of a deal on it as well.

[This message has been edited by pontiackid86 (edited 12-25-2010).]

Macs86GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-26-2010 02:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Macs86GTSend a Private Message to Macs86GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
grasshopper you need to focus on one car. Nice solstice btw much more stylish then the eclipse.
pontiackid86

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-26-2010 03:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pontiackid86Send a Private Message to pontiackid86Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Macs86GT:

grasshopper you need to focus on one car. Nice solstice btw much more stylish then the eclipse.
Lol i am focusing on one vehical.. solstice is the daily beater so to speek.. the IMSA is the project

I leard today that the IMSA is a heartless little b*tch in the snow

[This message has been edited by pontiackid86 (edited 12-26-2010).]

mattwa

Feedback score:    (41)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 88
Rate this member

Report this Post12-26-2010 04:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mattwaSend a Private Message to mattwaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
PK, wider tires have very little traction in snow. Our 88 coupe has 195 tires and does good in snow if I don't mess around.

[This message has been edited by mattwa (edited 12-26-2010).]

Macs86GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-26-2010 04:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Macs86GTSend a Private Message to Macs86GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
slimmer tires in snow means more weight on a smaller space. Snow tires have special tread cuts that actually grab and hold snow. Ever try to rub packed snow across itself it will have alot of friction. If you are running wide tires in the snow lower the air pressure as this can sometimes help the tire grip the snow but its all dependent on the treads.
pontiackid86

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-12-2011 02:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for pontiackid86Send a Private Message to pontiackid86Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Not much to update on. I'm gona try and get some work done on the IMSA this weekend.
Tony Kania

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 305
User Banned

Report this Post01-12-2011 03:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Tony KaniaSend a Private Message to Tony KaniaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Did I miss the sale of the red car?

IMSA looks good, and your temporary Solstice is waaaaaaaaay cool.
pontiackid86

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-12-2011 07:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pontiackid86Send a Private Message to pontiackid86Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Tony Kania:

Did I miss the sale of the red car?

IMSA looks good, and your temporary Solstice is waaaaaaaaay cool.

Lol the solstice is here to stay i love it . the red car is still mine and i dont think im gona be selling it.... I might actuley be getting another fiero

PFF
System Bot
Tony Kania

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 305
User Banned

Report this Post01-12-2011 07:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Tony KaniaSend a Private Message to Tony KaniaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Good to hear Rick. The Solstice just looks great. The IMSA is coming along nicely, and I know that you care for her. And I have always loved the approach that you have taken with the GT. Keep it up. Hopefully I will get to see them in person one day.

Tony
pontiackid86

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-19-2011 11:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pontiackid86Send a Private Message to pontiackid86Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Got my parts today to replace on the clutch hydro system. The parts i have in there are replaced but there used so i figured i might as well just get new ones. I should also have my garage back this weekend so i can get some work done on it.
pontiackid86

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-18-2011 01:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for pontiackid86Send a Private Message to pontiackid86Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'll add pics tomorrow but The IMSA now has the seats that the RPO code stated it is supposed to have (yes those ugly fleece and suede seats) but it looks good with them... 80's Very 80's. pics to come tomorrow.

And DIY-stu.. Still out of my cold dead hands will you get the keys to this car

[This message has been edited by pontiackid86 (edited 02-18-2011).]

css9450

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 85
Rate this member

Report this Post02-18-2011 03:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for css9450Send a Private Message to css9450Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I'll add pics tomorrow but The IMSA now has the seats that the RPO code stated it is supposed to have (yes those ugly fleece and suede seats) but it looks good with them... 80's Very 80's. pics to come tomorrow.

I like the sound of that. 80s is good!

pontiackid86

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-08-2011 01:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for pontiackid86Send a Private Message to pontiackid86Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
And i got to play with my pride and joy a little today after the orange 84. Just did a little bit of tinkering but this weekend im going to finally get around to replacing my clutch master and slave cylinder and get this thing on the road..... I hate just seeing it sit there.
av8fiero

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-08-2011 07:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for av8fieroSend a Private Message to av8fieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by av8fiero:

I've seen several DGP IMSA's painted up like that. Your car wasn't the only one. Is the SPI fender tag still on the car? Can you take and post a pic of it? It appears you're making good progress on this car, good luck with your build

edit to add--- I just ran a search on The_stickman2 looking for any history he may have found on your car. All that was there was speculation as to it's history. It appears to be a very early car but from what I saw there was never any documentation found as to who built it or what is was built for. Looking through that thread it doesn't appear to be a validateable prototype/promotional car. I'm not saying it isn't what you hope it to be, but nothing has surfaced to prove it is such.

RAREW66 commented in some of the threads and really only seemed mainly interested in the SD4 as those parts are harder and harder to find.. He is a big time Fiero collector and very knowledgable as to Fiero history. If he wasn't interested in the car I would say it most likely wasn't built by or for Pontiac/GM.

It may have been built by DGP, or another company or race team for promotional purposes, but I don't know how you could prove that. You could possibly run a title search on the car to track down previous owners and that may lead you back to who, when, where, and for what, the car was built.

I wouldn't be suprised though if you find out in the end it is merely an IMSA bodied fiero that had an SD4 installed. If that's what it turns out to be you still have a VERY interesting special car, build it and enjoy it

Have you found any documentation as to who, when, where, and for what, for this car was built? I'm still curious about the history of this car. Nice job on getting it running/driving, that's 80+% of the battle with project cars. Even if it's just an old duke in there it's great to have it drivable
pontiackid86

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-08-2011 09:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pontiackid86Send a Private Message to pontiackid86Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by av8fiero:

Have you found any documentation as to who, when, where, and for what, for this car was built? I'm still curious about the history of this car. Nice job on getting it running/driving, that's 80+% of the battle with project cars. Even if it's just an old duke in there it's great to have it drivable

I'v done a little digging into the cars MVR. it has had quite a few owners. also that the car was a very earley 84 Model but was not titled and registered until very late in 85. As for the rest of the history I haven't really gotten into it yet but I still have high hopes.

pontiackid86

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-28-2011 07:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pontiackid86Send a Private Message to pontiackid86Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Bit of an update. Last weekend i was tinkering with the IMSA a little bit and ended up rigging the thing with something to give be a bit more throw on the slave cylinder. (i refuse to say what i did because its the biggest jurry rig ever) But low and behold it worked and works really well. But the car is still giving me problems with the fuel upon further inspection of the fuel line and filter i found a red substance in the fuel in the fuel filter which tellse me i might have a small rust problem in the fuel tank. Being the car sat with fuel in it for nearly 9 years This does not surprise me So I'll be dropping the tank this weekend and seeing if it needs replacement. But the IMSA has taken a place in my garage. My formula is at my mechanic';s getting an oil leak fixed that i refuse to play around with along with a pesky little boost leak that i cant find.

Heres some pics i know its been a while. Alsp please excuse the messyness of my garage. Thats getting worked on this weekend also.

And the interior with its new seats. 80's sexiness.
IMSA GT

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 252
Rate this member

Report this Post03-28-2011 09:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IMSA GTSend a Private Message to IMSA GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Let me know when you want that painted
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 21 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18   19   20   21 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock