Fiero plant #17 by paced84
Started on: 07-20-2010 10:30 PM
Replies: 120 (7466 views)
Last post by: Jason88Notchie on 07-04-2014 12:50 PM
a_bartle

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-08-2012 09:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for a_bartleSend a Private Message to a_bartleEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Wow, would be nice to see that area getting some "new" growth and employment opportunities...
IP: Logged
robiwon1

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-09-2012 08:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for robiwon1Send a Private Message to robiwon1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I was just in Michigan last weekend. Of course, had to drive by my old house at 24 W. Beverly and the Fiero Plant. Looks the same has it has for the past 10 years. Tons of overgrowth in the old employee parking lot, starting to look like a scene from the Wil Smith movie "I am Legend"!
Purple86GT

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post11-27-2012 08:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Purple86GTSend a Private Message to Purple86GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by paced84:

Just thought I would mention some info about plant #17. Lot of you have seen the article that Fred B wrote in the NIFE news letter that plant #17 would be demolished. This is true, but there are a lot of things to be done before that can happen. No date as of yet. I will keep all posted whan such a thing is going to happen. I have made a few trips to the plant sense April. There nothing to be had. Anything and everthing was sent to scrap yard. OH there was someting FIERO there. On my first trip to see what was going on I noticed a trash barrel with a FIERO logo and the words chassis and body on the bottom . After talking with head of security I was able to get some of these barrels. There are two signs that I am trying to get. That would be (FIERO VISITOR CENTER & PLANT #17 SIGN ON BUILDING) #17 does not say FIERO but thats OK. Unable to post photos problem with PIP again. Can use some help to post photos on forum.

Ron T
Historian

Holly CRAP! I was there in September 2009!

[This message has been edited by Purple86GT (edited 11-27-2012).]

Purple86GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-27-2012 09:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Purple86GTSend a Private Message to Purple86GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Purple86GT

1592 posts
Member since Mar 2012

Originally posted by paced84:

Actually I drove to the plant found security told them I had heard that the plant was going to be demolished and that I am Fiero historian and would like to get any Fiero items there. I was told that the plant was cleaned out about a week before I was there. Was told that no FIERO items were there. only thing Fiero would be the barrels. Had to get OK from his boss. Also went through the plant on a scond trip as security said there was two Fiero signs on the wall but were painted there. After taking some photos I noticed that the FIERO VISITOR CENTER sign was not painted, but rivited to the wall. Still hope to get that sign. As far as going through the plant that probably will not happen as there are a lot of contaminated areas that are off limits. Walking arround on second trip there was only a few barrels full of trash but they were plain yellow, no FIERO info on them. will keep all informed as I find out any further info.

Ron T
Historian

You were lucky.. I drove up to the front gate. Some rent a cop security guard told me to backup and get off the property. (I wasn't even AT the gate yet) I explained I was a Fiero enthusiast. She gave me the worst attitude and told me to leave. WTF?!?! I wasn't even rude with her. So I left and whent around back from the entrance on the street to the rigth of the plant. WIN!
Purple86GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-28-2012 06:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Purple86GTSend a Private Message to Purple86GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Fiero84Freak:

Yes, Plant #17 is where all of the Fieros were produced. This plant is located in aptly titled Pontiac, Michigan. This was the only plant that was responsible for Fiero production.

Upon completion of the Fiero, the plant "shut down" and no longer produced cars.

I was under the impression that it was modified to produce some of the furst Saturns? The body panles and assembly techniques were similar. Now I have to digg that up, it might not be founded.

Purple86GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-28-2012 06:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Purple86GTSend a Private Message to Purple86GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Purple86GT

1592 posts
Member since Mar 2012

Originally posted by htexans1:

http://video.google.com/vid...ype=search&plindex=0

The 1990 Prototype assembly, by the Plant #17 crew.

Crap! no longer available! Anyone have this video??

Cheers!

FieroMontreal

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-28-2012 01:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroMontrealSend a Private Message to FieroMontrealEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Purple86GT:
I was under the impression that it was modified to produce some of the furst Saturns? The body panles and assembly techniques were similar. Now I have to digg that up, it might not be founded.

The plant was never used to build a car after the Fiero, infact, it was only cleaned out of Fiero stuff in the early 90`s ... 1993 I believe.

What you are refering to were the Enduroflex panel machines, those were modified and used to make the saturn panels at the Saturn Plant in Spring Hill Tennessee

[This message has been edited by FieroMontreal (edited 11-28-2012).]

Purple86GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-28-2012 01:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Purple86GTSend a Private Message to Purple86GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by FieroMontreal:

The plant was never used after the Fiero infact it was only cleaned out of Fiero stuff in the early 90`s ... 1993 I believe.

What you are refering to were the Enduroflex panel machines, those were modified and used to make the saturn panels at the Saturn Plant in Spring Hill Tennessee

Ahh! thank you for the info!

mrfred8

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-28-2012 01:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mrfred8Click Here to visit mrfred8's HomePageSend a Private Message to mrfred8Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Purple86GT:

Crap! no longer available! Anyone have this video??

Cheers!

------------------
--Jeff aka mrfred8 aka (Hat tip to Mr. J. Jones!)
http://jalopnik.com/5901950...or-her-sweet-sixteen
- 88 Yellow GT
- 86 Silver SE

RWDPLZ

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 304
Rate this member

Report this Post03-18-2013 03:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RWDPLZClick Here to visit RWDPLZ's HomePageSend a Private Message to RWDPLZEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Visited the plant today, it's still there. Only difference I could see is now there's a trailer and a trailer/sign behind the fence.

This summer:

Today:

Gokart Mozart

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 159
Rate this member

Report this Post04-20-2013 02:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gokart MozartClick Here to visit Gokart Mozart's HomePageSend a Private Message to Gokart MozartEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I was in the area and drove by it.

Looks the same but no snow.
PFF
System Bot
Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post04-20-2013 03:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Phil Huff when he ran the fake Fiero FOCOA club and museum was given a large number of items from that factory. I believe that among the collection, he has all the Fiero signs that were outside the plant and on the connecting walkway. When Phil closed the FOCOA operation, its anyone's guess as to what happened to the collection. Last we heard Phil runs a museum full of artifacts dedicated to Abe Lincoln. Knowing Phil one day he will auction off all of the Fiero factory stuff that he received for free under false pretenses. GM thought the stuff was going to a legitimate club and museum. Instead they went in Phil Huffs pocket.

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP /Frozen Boost Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Powerlog manifold, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Flotech Afterburner Exhaust, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

Gokart Mozart

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 159
Rate this member

Report this Post04-20-2013 05:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gokart MozartClick Here to visit Gokart Mozart's HomePageSend a Private Message to Gokart MozartEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Where does he live, generally, not exact address, please...
RWDPLZ

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-20-2013 08:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RWDPLZClick Here to visit RWDPLZ's HomePageSend a Private Message to RWDPLZEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Gokart Mozart:

Where does he live, generally, not exact address, please...

He's not hard to find. Here he is recently, in the center of the picture:

He's in Pahrump, Nevada.

https://www.facebook.com/pahrumpvalleymuseum

He's a crook right up there with Lloyd of Fast Fieros.

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post04-22-2013 10:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by mrfred8:

Sweet vid I hadnt seen that!
sjd86

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-29-2013 12:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for sjd86Send a Private Message to sjd86Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
FYI everyone, if you want 1 last look at the plant the time is now, demolition is up to the front wall on Baldwin. They have just put up a fence so you can no longer go up to and look in the plant front windows. It's going to be strange and sad to see plant 17 gone for good.
OneSlowFiero

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-29-2013 01:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for OneSlowFieroSend a Private Message to OneSlowFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I would like a brick. Someone local should arrange to buy a pallet of them from the dismantling company and sell them off to the forum members. Fiero logo engravings would make them even more appealing. Thirty year old bricks seriously couldn't be that expensive.

-Josh
RWDPLZ

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-29-2013 01:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RWDPLZClick Here to visit RWDPLZ's HomePageSend a Private Message to RWDPLZEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I was just there last week and everything looked the same?
sjd86

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-30-2013 07:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sjd86Send a Private Message to sjd86Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yea slow down next time you go by if you look towards windows and up through them you can see its all torn down inside up to the front wall
sjd86

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-06-2013 10:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sjd86Send a Private Message to sjd86Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Drove by today and the front wall on Baldwin is coming down, side wall on Kennett is gone and you can thru to the back now.
sjd86

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-06-2013 10:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sjd86Send a Private Message to sjd86Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

sjd86

9 posts
Member since Dec 2012
Saw a few people out there with video cameras taping also.
PFF
System Bot
cam-a-lot

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 99
Rate this member

Report this Post12-06-2013 11:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cam-a-lotSend a Private Message to cam-a-lotEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by sjd86:

Saw a few people out there with video cameras taping also.

Geez... it's not like someone is tearing down the pyramids of Egypt... LOL

ThatFieroKid

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-07-2013 12:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ThatFieroKidSend a Private Message to ThatFieroKidEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I haven't been on this forum in forever but I'm still subscribed to this thread by e-mail. It's really sad to hear that the plant is being torn down. A piece of our history has been lost. I can't believe they couldn't find something to use this plant for.
JohnWPB

Feedback score:    (21)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 144
Rate this member

Report this Post12-07-2013 12:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JohnWPBClick Here to visit JohnWPB's HomePageSend a Private Message to JohnWPBEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by ThatFieroKid:

I haven't been on this forum in forever but I'm still subscribed to this thread by e-mail. It's really sad to hear that the plant is being torn down. A piece of our history has been lost. I can't believe they couldn't find something to use this plant for.

That same statement holds true not only for the Pontiac plant, but half of Detroit I am not speaking as an "evil onlooker".... I was born and lived in Detroit, but moved away when I was young. I am up there every now and then again to visit family. Most of them have had to move out of Detroit and getting next to nothing for their houses property. The area's were once nice with the whole white picket fences, and are now REALLY bad areas.... such a shame.
paced84

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-07-2013 09:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for paced84Send a Private Message to paced84Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Going by there Sunday. Wil post some photos Sunday night.

Ron T

------------------

signature by F-I-E-R-O (My Indy on right / #1 IMS)

sjd86

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-07-2013 03:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sjd86Send a Private Message to sjd86Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by cam-a-lot:

Geez... it's not like someone is tearing down the pyramids of Egypt... LOL

sjd86

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-07-2013 04:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sjd86Send a Private Message to sjd86Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

sjd86

9 posts
Member since Dec 2012

Theirs a lot of history from that plant starting from Fisher body days to fiero assembly, the plant was almost 100 years old, thousands of people spent their entire lives in that building supporting their families. My father spent 38 years working for GM on the line and if not for GM myself and many others may not be here today. It's a shame how much the town of Pontiac has lost over the years, not sure how many people here remember how big the Pontiac Motor Division over there used to be, the old foundry started by where the post office is now and numerous plants stretched all the way to where plant 14 stil stands. 15 and 25 along Columbia came down a couple years ago along with pontiac east assembly on opdyke. Also their were several plants around the old West assembly that stood for years at South blvd and Woodward. It's still mind boggling how many GM jobs there used to be in the city of Pontiac that will never return.
MarkS

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-08-2013 01:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MarkSSend a Private Message to MarkSEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Theirs a lot of history from that plant starting from Fisher body days to fiero assembly, the plant was almost 100 years old, thousands of people spent their entire lives in that building supporting their families. My father spent 38 years working for GM on the line and if not for GM myself and many others may not be here today. It's a shame how much the town of Pontiac has lost over the years, not sure how many people here remember how big the Pontiac Motor Division over there used to be, the old foundry started by where the post office is now and numerous plants stretched all the way to where plant 14 stil stands. 15 and 25 along Columbia came down a couple years ago along with pontiac east assembly on opdyke. Also their were several plants around the old West assembly that stood for years at South blvd and Woodward. It's still mind boggling how many GM jobs there used to be in the city of Pontiac that will never return.

Sadly, the same scenario has played out through a lot of the country's manufacturing. Grew up near Camden, NJ. RCA had over twenty buildings there at one time. Most all are gone. The remaining entity being L3 Communications East, essentially the MIL & aerospace remnants of RCA. The surrounding areas are just plain dangerous.

BR's,

Mark

------------------
86 SE V6 4 speed
86 SE V6 Auto
2008 G6 GT "Street" Coupe
2005 Buick 3.6 Rendezvous
2001 Olds Silhouette (AKA The Band Van)

paced84

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-08-2013 09:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for paced84Send a Private Message to paced84Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Here is #17 as of Sunday 12-08-2013 2:00PM. Calling demolision director Mon. to see when it will be completed.

RT
Historian

------------------

WingNut - MD

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 116
Rate this member

Report this Post12-08-2013 09:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WingNut - MDClick Here to visit WingNut - MD's HomePageSend a Private Message to WingNut - MDEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
So sad to see her down.
WingNut - MD

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 116
Rate this member

Report this Post12-08-2013 09:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WingNut - MDClick Here to visit WingNut - MD's HomePageSend a Private Message to WingNut - MDEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

WingNut - MD

5261 posts
Member since Apr 2003
Ron,

I just sent you a Private Message.

Mark
PFF
System Bot
cam-a-lot

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 99
Rate this member

Report this Post12-10-2013 03:07 AM Click Here to See the Profile for cam-a-lotSend a Private Message to cam-a-lotEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I finally convinced my wife to let me buy this one and put it in our living room. I think it will look sweet with a Pegasus sticker, some hood scoops, trunk scoops, side scoops and roof scoops. Shipping may be a bit expensive though.....

It is sad to see the continued decline of the manufacturing sector. I sure hope the next generation of young workers will have decent job opportunities in the area in order to be able to maintain a decent standard of living.
paced84

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-15-2013 09:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for paced84Send a Private Message to paced84Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Here is plant #17 as of 3:00PM Sunday the Dec. 15th.

RT
Historian

------------------

BrittB

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-18-2013 08:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BrittBSend a Private Message to BrittBEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Aww man!
paced84

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-23-2013 09:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for paced84Send a Private Message to paced84Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The end is not far away!

RT

------------------

Jason88Notchie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-03-2014 04:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Jason88NotchieSend a Private Message to Jason88NotchieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Anyone with pics of the present site?
paced84

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-03-2014 09:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for paced84Send a Private Message to paced84Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I did take some about two weeks ago.

Ron T

------------------

ARKaiser

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-03-2014 10:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ARKaiserSend a Private Message to ARKaiserEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Ron -

Any luck on getting an OK to meet there as a group for some pictures? What about if I just drove down there. Any chance that someone would be there who could let me in for a shot or two?
paced84

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-03-2014 10:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for paced84Send a Private Message to paced84Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I had contact with demolishion director about a week ago but have not got any call back yet. Will contact him Monday. You will not be allowed on the property to get photos.

------------------

hyperv6

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 94
Rate this member

Report this Post07-04-2014 08:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for hyperv6Send a Private Message to hyperv6Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I got my bricks Ron. Thanks!

I have had some very valuable things not packed as well as the those bricks.

Just a note these brick might have come from a town near me here in Ohio. The main plant for Belden brick is located in Sugarcreek Ohio. It was started in the 1800's by the family of Ida McKinley the wife of the President William McKinley. We even have a mall on the old farm they owned in North Canton named Belden Village. Just some useless Jeopardy trivia.

Thanks for the bricks.

[This message has been edited by hyperv6 (edited 07-04-2014).]

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 4 pages long:  1   2   3   4 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay