Playing with my 88GT by 85sliverGT
Started on: 06-11-2010 09:48 PM
Replies: 91 (5309 views)
Last post by: 85sliverGT on 07-29-2017 02:07 PM
85sliverGT

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-11-2010 09:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 85sliverGTSend a Private Message to 85sliverGTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Its time to start a thread on my 88! I have a lot planned for this car, and i always like feedback (good or bad) so don't hold back.

I will also be updating the thread as i find more pictures, or remember things i have done, but forgot to mention.

I got the car in September 08 in a trade for my z24 Cavalier. After having 3 Fiero's before this one, it was a no-brainer. I needed this car! It was destiny!

It was in pretty good condition overall, but quite dirty. The car had a pretty big hole in the muffler, but other than that it was a solid driver. Some of the first things to be addressed were replacing the muffler (Thanks to Silicoan86), new clutch master, gauge cluster lens, and cleaning!

(my dad)

I really wish i would have taken more pictures of the things i have done, but live and learn. I take plenty now. Some of the mods i did early on was tinting the taillights, setting the spoiler back about 1 1/2", and i painted some of the black plastic interior pieces with a gunmetal like color.

Here you can see the little cork's that i used to plug the old holes in the spoiler as a quick fix just to keep the rain out.

I also re-did my headliner, and fiberglassed it while i was at it.

About then she went into winter hibernation. My uncle is nice enough to let me park in his pole barn during the winters. (its kind of inside i guess)

In spring 09 i got some lowering springs used off the forum, and i scored some wheels i liked off craigslist. About this time i also replaced the front lower ball joints, and the outer tie rod ends.

OK! I will update later this weekend, i still have plenty to go. Time to go work on it, instead of talk about!

Blake

[This message has been edited by 85sliverGT (edited 06-12-2010).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
IMSA GT

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 252
Rate this member

Report this Post06-11-2010 10:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IMSA GTSend a Private Message to IMSA GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You CANNOT go wrong with red. Beautiful car and wheels.
Dogcreek

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-11-2010 10:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DogcreekSend a Private Message to DogcreekEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Blake,

Looks really nice! I like the gray on the plastic dash parts... Looks cool. Also, do you have a pic of the finished headliner... I have been thinking about glassing mine as well.

Sweet looking car! Destiny is a beautiful thing!

Jeff
donnie072003

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-12-2010 01:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for donnie072003Click Here to visit donnie072003's HomePageSend a Private Message to donnie072003Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Blake, What kind of wheels are those? I like the look of them!

------------------

Sad to say this is the best looking part of the car so far!

//www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum1/HTML/080998.html

Donnie

tiretread

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-12-2010 02:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for tiretreadSend a Private Message to tiretreadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Talk about a sharp looking ride!
fierodustin_86

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-12-2010 03:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierodustin_86Send a Private Message to fierodustin_86Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Just wondering, how did the head liner turn out? I was always afraid that it would not fit right after that you did that....

BTW, the wheels and lowering springs make all the difference in the world... nice.
Tony Kania

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 305
User Banned

Report this Post06-12-2010 12:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Tony KaniaSend a Private Message to Tony KaniaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That car is gorgeous! Itsa very niiiiiiice.
17Car

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-12-2010 12:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 17CarSend a Private Message to 17CarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Very nice car!
And way to go on the trade, wish I could get that lucky.
85sliverGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-12-2010 03:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 85sliverGTSend a Private Message to 85sliverGTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Wow! Thanks for the compliments! It was very clean, and it always looks better in the pictures.

Dogcreek and fierodustin_86, i just re-covered it in tan headliner material, and it fit back in just like it should. you can see it in the interior pictures to come.

donnie072003: The wheels are 17" TSW wheels. I dont know anything more, but i should figure it out because i need center caps.

Im working on re-sizing pictures, so more soon!

85sliverGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-12-2010 10:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 85sliverGTSend a Private Message to 85sliverGTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

85sliverGT

1525 posts
Member since Sep 2005
Sometime during the summer last year, i painted some of the interior black. I took out most of the interior, cleaned everything, and painted the darkest brown to black. I felt a little guilty doing this to a beachwood interior, but it looks good, and its not like i plan i selling it. During this whole process, i took no pictures. None. (That i can find). but heres a shot of what the interior looks like now after the fact:

You can see the gunmetal textured paint i used here

Last summer i also tinted the windows, tinted the marker lights, and got a set of Kris Munson turn signal covers

(was playing with the color in photoshop mobile)

Shortly after those last pictures, something broke in the front end and my right front tire was tilting in towards the top alot. I was running out of motivation and the season was about done, so it went into winter hibernation.

Here she is about a month ago, ready to come out. (took the car cover off for the picture)

I had purchased upper ball joints from Rodney on clearance, so i gimped it home to my townhouse and started tearing in. I found the balljoints were both fine, so i just kept tearing down. My balljoints turned into the stearing rack, which turned into total front end rebuild.

So the past couple weeks i have been working on getting everything stripped down, and all the metal is being cleaned up and coated with Zero-Rust.

More to come!

-Blake
85sliverGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-13-2010 09:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 85sliverGTSend a Private Message to 85sliverGTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
A while back i started on a extractor hood. I was doing a lot of research and i really like how oldfiero went about doing it. I like the way the original hood was used to make the scoops, verses molding in a scoop. Thanks oldfiero! His thread here: //www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/097743.html
While i was very impressed with his method, i wanted to get something more like SOULCRUSHER has. So i took oldfiero's method and tweaked it to my liking.

The hood is getting close but there's plenty of work to go. I have also smoothed out the Pontiac lettering on the eye-lid.

More later!
PFF
System Bot
donnie072003

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-13-2010 09:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for donnie072003Click Here to visit donnie072003's HomePageSend a Private Message to donnie072003Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Looking pretty good. I like the scoop idea!

------------------

Donnie

85sliverGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-14-2010 07:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 85sliverGTSend a Private Message to 85sliverGTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks Donnie. Looks like your a lot more experienced in bodywork than i, so it would be a piece of cake for you

Important reminder: Make sure to use SMC fiberglass resin! The regular stuff doesn't hold well. Learned that one the hard way....oh well.

[This message has been edited by 85sliverGT (edited 06-14-2010).]

85sliverGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-15-2010 12:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 85sliverGTSend a Private Message to 85sliverGTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Since I have the rack out I plan on replacing the plastic bushing with Rodney metal one, but I'm not sure if I should replace the inner tie-rods also. They seem fine. Opinions?

Blake
85sliverGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-16-2010 07:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 85sliverGTSend a Private Message to 85sliverGTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Any opinions? Do inner tie rods fail often?
carbon

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 132
Rate this member

Report this Post06-16-2010 09:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for carbonSend a Private Message to carbonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Red 88GTs rock...

[This message has been edited by carbon (edited 06-10-2015).]

85sliverGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-05-2010 10:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 85sliverGTSend a Private Message to 85sliverGTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Nick- I agree, they do rock! I just wish mine was as rust-free as yours.

I have been busy cleaning, sand blasting, and Zero-rusting everything. I'll get some pictures on my computor tonight.

Since I got no feedback on the inner tie rods, I figured I better do it now while it's out. So I have inner tie rods, metal rack bushing, and zero lash end links on there way. (thanks Rodney!)

More to come!
mattwa

Feedback score:    (41)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 88
Rate this member

Report this Post07-05-2010 02:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mattwaSend a Private Message to mattwaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Painting good condition beechwood interior parts black?!? Sacrilege!!!
Look'n good there. Keep up the good work. I plan on painting my tan interior half black, like you are, only a little different. Here is what I want to do (not my picture)

That, and I didn't start with a beechwood interior.
85sliverGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-08-2010 10:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 85sliverGTSend a Private Message to 85sliverGTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That was the one that gave me the idea. I like his more, but im happy with mine.

Don't have any big updates, just been working on getting parts cleaned up and painted.

Getting the old rubber out, so the poly can go in

This would explain my overheating issues, huh?

This is looking at the underside, under the drivers seat. Any ideas why it would be wet??

Blake

[This message has been edited by 85sliverGT (edited 07-08-2010).]

Cheever3000

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 178
Rate this member

Report this Post07-08-2010 10:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Cheever3000Send a Private Message to Cheever3000Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I prefer the beechwood, but that's just me. Everything else you're doing is awesome!
Have you changed to a short shifter yet? You'll love it.
My first Fiero was an 88GT, and I really miss it.

[This message has been edited by Cheever3000 (edited 07-08-2010).]

donnie072003

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-08-2010 10:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for donnie072003Click Here to visit donnie072003's HomePageSend a Private Message to donnie072003Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Blake how did you tint your tail lights? I like the look. Car is looking sharp.

------------------

Donnie

PFF
System Bot
JohnWPB

Feedback score:    (21)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 144
Rate this member

Report this Post07-09-2010 12:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JohnWPBClick Here to visit JohnWPB's HomePageSend a Private Message to JohnWPBEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
85sliverGT, Looking good! I really like the red, I ALMOST decided to do red, and had the seat covers, and door material, and decided to go blue instead.

Are you gonna make it to Frazee for the Tyler Shipman Memorial car show at the end of the month?
85sliverGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-09-2010 09:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 85sliverGTSend a Private Message to 85sliverGTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Cheever3000- Short shifter? Yes. Kinda. Not really. I took a stock one, and cut it up some but im not really happy with it. It is shorter, which i like, but its a bit too tall yet, and there's still a bend in it. I want to get a straight rod.

Donnie - I tinted the taillights with VHT Nightshades (autozone). I have also used plastic tinting spray for model cars (hobby shop). Its pretty simple. take the taillights all the apart, and spray the inside. Just have to be careful not the break the tabs as you take em apart.

JohnWPB - Thanks! I like the red too. I never would have picked red, but it has grown on me alot. Don't get too attached though, with all the body mods that are in the works and coming up, it makes sense to paint the whole car. and it wont be red again.

To answer your question, yes i plan on being in frazee. The 88 wont be ready but i plan on being there with the white 3800 car you can see in the backround in some of the hood vent pictures.

Thanks for showing interest you guys. It helps keep me motivated.

[This message has been edited by 85sliverGT (edited 07-09-2010).]

85sliverGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-01-2010 11:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 85sliverGTSend a Private Message to 85sliverGTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Progress has been slow the past couple weeks, but im getting things done. Worked on my hood vent a lot yesterday. I did a lot of sanding and shaping and i also cut the openings a bit more.

I've been getting the front back together a bit slow, but everything is painted with Zero-Rust and things have started getting put back together. I'm also in the process of re-building the steering rack.

As i was taking the front apart i filled in some holes, and cleaned up my chin spoiler (which was really beat up)

And just some other things i have gathered

Corvette tips

A headliner shelf (grand am)... getting rid of the overhead lights

A newer mirror with lights on it (98 monte carlo)

And finally my flea market gold! Got these on the way home from the Tyler Shipman show in Frazee, MN

Thats all for now, nothing huge just some pictures i needed to get up. Enjoy

[This message has been edited by 85sliverGT (edited 08-01-2010).]

85sliverGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-27-2010 06:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 85sliverGTSend a Private Message to 85sliverGTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I haven't posted an update lately because there isnt really anything cool happening. I had stripped down the whole front end, and i've just been taking my time putting it all back together. My only time limit i had was to get it out of the garage before winter, so i failed there. She's about 95% back together so it should be in storage within a week i hope.

During the front end rebuild she got new balljoints, tie-rods (inner and outer), Rodney rack bushing, zero-lash end links, poly bushing, and very low mileage bearings. I had already had the lowering springs and KYB shocks.

Heres how she sits now:

i also ended up with a new shift lever i like more

So the car is headed to the barn for winter, and i get to work on some side projects i dont need to car for. Ill be finishing up my hood scoops, molding in a mustang scoop on the decklid, and creating my own side skirts.

...Oh and start gathering parts for a 3800s/c!

TheRealShadowX

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 73
Rate this member

Report this Post11-28-2010 02:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TheRealShadowXSend a Private Message to TheRealShadowXEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Where did you get your new shift lever? (Wondering if you got it from my good friend GTXBullet)

------------------
"He took my stapler. I could burn this building down."

85sliverGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-28-2010 11:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 85sliverGTSend a Private Message to 85sliverGTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm not sure who made the shifter lever, i got it out of a parts car we stripped down over the summer. Its just a straight rod maybe 4 or 5 inches tall, looks well made though.
85sliverGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-03-2011 10:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 85sliverGTSend a Private Message to 85sliverGTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Its been a while since i updated! My front end stuff ended up taking waaaay longer than i planned, but everything does right? Here she is about done, sitting on the wheels for the first time in a year:

I got everything put back on and drove it over to my dads where the real wrenching happens. You can barely see the white 3800 notchie in the garage, my buddy Aaron (PFF Captain Crunch)'s
black fastback, and my red 88

Last week i wanted to get an alignment, but was having problems with a couple different shops saying they couldn't do it for different reasons (they're old rack, my car is too low, blah blah) so i decided to spend the weekend putting in a new clutch. I am still looking for a good deal on a 3800, but i want to be able to drive it this summer and hopefully swap next winter. I got the help of my dad and Captain Crunch and we got to it. We have dropped Fiero cradles many times before so we decided to drop the cradle vs. trying to tip the cradle and monkey it out. Got the cradle out and it became pretty clear i need valve cover gaskets, so my clutch project turned into tearing most of the engine down too.

Testing out some matte white wrap vinyl i have

About to drop

Aaron (captain crunch)

My bird's eye view watching clearance as it come out

One of the nuts on the cradle bolts starting spinning on me so the back bumper came off

Got the two separated with the help of my trusty shop dog Ozzy

Clutch off

New one on

Got the engine and trans mated again and thats about where i made it to tonight. More next week!

Blake

[This message has been edited by 85sliverGT (edited 06-12-2015).]

86soon3.4

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-03-2011 10:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 86soon3.4Send a Private Message to 86soon3.4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You did get the flywheel resurfaced......It will save your NEW clutch plate. It will also make it nice and smooth. It will also remove the heat cracks.

Steve
85sliverGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-03-2011 11:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 85sliverGTSend a Private Message to 85sliverGTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I didn't get it resurfaced. It was nice and smooth, no groove cut in it or anything so I just cleaned it up with a scotch brite rol-loc disk
85sliverGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-19-2011 11:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 85sliverGTSend a Private Message to 85sliverGTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Here's some more after the clutch went on

So i basically gave it some more life to get me through the summer, and it only makes sense to pretty it up some too while im there, right? After that i got a good alignment, chased some little bugs, and shes back on the road now.

I found a keyless entry module at the u pull yard recently ($6), and i got the fob on ebay ($12) I dont have it in the car yet, but should be a cheap, easy, and cool upgrade.

Another project i've been playing around with is the headliner shelf i grabbed at the yard a while back. So far i've just been cutting small pieces at a time off the board and the plastic shelf itself, getting it sit in with the fiero board

And now today i was able to make a deal with a woman attempting to part out a Regal GS that has a bad trans. I went over to her place to pull it out of the car this morning, went well. We kept the bad tranny with the motor just to get out of the ladys garage quicker. It was a bit stressful a couple times not having the right tool, and not being able to just go grab it out of the toolbox, we had just what was brought with to her house. Overall i would say it was a bit of work, but in the end i got a smokin good deal.

Meziere Enterprises electric waterpump

EGR delete

Throttle body spacer

ECM w/ Intense tune

My new motor, aaron and his behind

So exited!

-Blake

PFF
System Bot
phonedawgz

Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 290
Rate this member

Report this Post06-22-2011 10:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for phonedawgzClick Here to visit phonedawgz's HomePageSend a Private Message to phonedawgzEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The 97 and earlier PCMs don't fit in the console. You will need to have it reprogrammed anyways. You should pick up a 98+ PCM.
85sliverGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-22-2011 11:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 85sliverGTSend a Private Message to 85sliverGTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I was just thinking about that this morning actually. We are dealing with this same issue on the other swap going on, as his is a 96 ECM due to the trans he has. But I think your right, I'll nab a newer one from the yard
ChuckLS1

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-22-2011 01:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ChuckLS1Send a Private Message to ChuckLS1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Very nice car, good luck with the engine swap. Hope to put a 3.8SC in mine one day.

------------------
Chuck
88 Formula W/fastback
2000 Grand Prix GTP

85sliverGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-02-2011 11:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 85sliverGTSend a Private Message to 85sliverGTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Installed Rodney Dickman shifter rebuild kit

85sliverGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-09-2011 11:19 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 85sliverGTSend a Private Message to 85sliverGTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

85sliverGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-19-2011 07:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 85sliverGTSend a Private Message to 85sliverGTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Silicoan86

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-20-2011 02:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Silicoan86Send a Private Message to Silicoan86Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Ahh.... summer. I miss green trees already. Car was looking good at the MOA meet a few weeks ago! I like everything you've done with it so far. I'd love to find one just like it before spring to start toying with myself.
85sliverGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-27-2011 10:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 85sliverGTSend a Private Message to 85sliverGTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

85sliverGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-20-2012 10:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 85sliverGTSend a Private Message to 85sliverGTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Bump! I need keep this out of the archives!

Early this spring i got my car out of winter hibernation and got to work on the 3800 swap:

[This message has been edited by 85sliverGT (edited 02-06-2013).]

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 3 pages long:  1   2   3 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock