Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat
  TurboTec's 85GT LS4 build thread (Page 1)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 3 pages long:  1   2   3 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
TurboTec's 85GT LS4 build thread by TurboTec
Started on: 04-12-2010 08:58 AM
Replies: 101 (4809 views)
Last post by: TurboTec on 10-12-2015 12:04 AM
TurboTec

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-12-2010 08:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TurboTecClick Here to visit TurboTec's HomePageSend a Private Message to TurboTecEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hello All, this thread will document my progress on my Fiero. I've wanted to do a V8 Fiero for many years and have now decided on which platform to install, with a LS4 swap into my '85 GT. I've seen many nice builds here and I will be open to suggestions so please tell me if I'm going down the wrong path.

The engine and transmission was purchased from Cleavland Pick A Part, a complete dropout from a 2006 Impala SS with 41K complete drivetrain; engine, trans, ECM, TCM, pedal, etc..

A list of mods planned goes something like this:

DOD Delete using the stock bump-stick
Patriot gold valve spring kit
GMPP Racing hydraulic roller lifters
Custom built radiator and tranny cooler by IRCFabrication
LS2 intake, throttle body and 60lb Injectors
Torque converter??? don't know which one yet...
Shift kit and Torsen LSD

After installed Turbocharge it...

Here are a few pics of the car and the LS4 that I bought...

I'm excited about this swap and would love to here others impressions and recommendations that have done this swap before.

Thanks, Frank

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Dracor

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-12-2010 09:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DracorSend a Private Message to DracorEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by TurboTec:

A list of mods planned goes something like this:

DOD Delete using the stock bump-stick
Patriot gold valve spring kit
GMPP Racing hydraulic roller lifters
Custom built radiator and tranny cooler by IRCFabrication
LS2 intake, throttle body and 60lb Injectors
Torque converter??? don't know which one yet...
Shift kit and Torsen LSD

After installed Turbocharge it...

Nice, I am looking forward to seeing this installed with the turbo.

You shooting for ~650Hp? Pretty big injectors for a V-8

------------------
'84 3800SC, XP cam, 3.2 pully, HPTuners, N* TB, 4sp, SPEC 3+ clutch, Aluminium flywheel, pacesetter headers, F355 body kit, weight reduction

TurboTec

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-12-2010 10:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TurboTecClick Here to visit TurboTec's HomePageSend a Private Message to TurboTecEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Dracor:

Nice, I am looking forward to seeing this installed with the turbo.

You shooting for ~650Hp? Pretty big injectors for a V-8

Hey, good catch. I'm planning on using E85... I forgot to type that in my plan.
F355spider

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 108
Rate this member

Report this Post04-12-2010 10:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for F355spiderSend a Private Message to F355spiderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Alright another 5.3 build. I'm looking at it one day, Lots of pictures please. Injectors should be good for turbo 5.3 I am running 32lbs in my 3.4 turbo with a very good AFR.
AkursedX

Feedback score:    (16)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 83
Rate this member

Report this Post04-12-2010 10:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AkursedXSend a Private Message to AkursedXEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You might want to look at this page about the LS2 intake and throttle body.

http://www.gmtuners.com/LS4/swap6.htm

It's not exactly a direct swap...
TurboTec

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-12-2010 10:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TurboTecClick Here to visit TurboTec's HomePageSend a Private Message to TurboTecEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by AkursedX:

You might want to look at this page about the LS2 intake and throttle body.

http://www.gmtuners.com/LS4/swap6.htm

It's not exactly a direct swap...

AkursedX, I'm going to delete the DOD and replace the valley cover so that I can use the LS2 stuff backwards. I'm thinking it will work fine as long as I change the valley cover. Right?
TurboTec

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-12-2010 11:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TurboTecClick Here to visit TurboTec's HomePageSend a Private Message to TurboTecEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

TurboTec

64 posts
Member since Feb 2010

Originally posted by F355spider:

Alright another 5.3 build. I'm looking at it one day, Lots of pictures please. Injectors should be good for turbo 5.3 I am running 32lbs in my 3.4 turbo with a very good AFR.

Yea, I think the 60's will work well. My goal is for 500WHP and using the E85 it should make it easier to achieve. CarTuning's GXP kit makes close to that with 10lbs of boost and they are running 42lb injectors.

On another note does anyone have pictures of a reverse mounted alternator for a LS4 which would go where the stock battery would normally be? Kit maybe?
Rickady88GT

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 202
Rate this member

Report this Post04-12-2010 01:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Rickady88GTSend a Private Message to Rickady88GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Looks like a fun project. I was thinking about a turbo, but not so sure yet?
I would suggest that you buy a new Crankshaft Position Sensor at least for the tranny side. The engine literally has to come out to change it and mine went bad with less than 15K. Just a bit of cheap insurance

EDIT because I said Knock Sensor when I should have said Crank Sensor.

------------------
[IMG][/IMG]

[This message has been edited by Rickady88GT (edited 04-12-2010).]

Isolde

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 133
Rate this member

Report this Post04-12-2010 02:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IsoldeSend a Private Message to IsoldeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If you're going single turbo, get a T76.
TurboTec

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-12-2010 06:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TurboTecClick Here to visit TurboTec's HomePageSend a Private Message to TurboTecEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Rickady88GT:

Looks like a fun project. I was thinking about a turbo, but not so sure yet?
I would sugest that you buy a new knock sensor at least for the tranny side. The engine literally has to come out to change it and mine went bad with less than 15K. Just a bit of cheap insurance

Rickady88GT, Thanks for the tip. I have admired your LS4 Fiero as you have built a true work of art...

That's one awesome car! Maybe I can sway you to go turbo as you have swayed me to go with the LS4…

Originally posted by Isolde:

If you're going single turbo, get a T76.

Isolde, your damn close, I'm thinking of a GT4508 compressor with a T4 .96AR exhaust housing and "Q" trim turbine. I think the compressor map is better suited to the 5.3L.

Frank

Isolde

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-12-2010 06:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IsoldeSend a Private Message to IsoldeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I already did all the mapping using the Squirrel performance program. Twins mapped better, but would run another $1000, assuming buying new turbos both ways. But since you've got a good handle on it, I have nothing else for now. Soldier on.
PFF
System Bot
TiredGXP

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-12-2010 07:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TiredGXPSend a Private Message to TiredGXPEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If you're swapping to the LS2 valley cover, you can modify the OPSU enough to fit a 90mm intake and throttle body. I think there's a good picture of this mod for the LS7 in the "we build a perfect union" thread.

The LS2 intake and TB is probably a bit less costly than the LS6 intake and TBSS throttle body swap, but has marginally less performance. You'll need a new fuel rail for the LS2 - it has different injector spacing than the LS1/4/6.

Cheers
Rickady88GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-12-2010 08:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Rickady88GTSend a Private Message to Rickady88GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
SORRY, I made a mistake, I should have said replace the Crankshaft Position Sensor.
TurboTec

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-12-2010 08:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TurboTecClick Here to visit TurboTec's HomePageSend a Private Message to TurboTecEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I already did all the mapping using the Squirrel performance program. Twins mapped better, but would run another $1000, assuming buying new turbos both ways. But since you've got a good handle on it, I have nothing else for now. Soldier on.

Thanks, like I said if you have something to add I'm all ears. You going turbo?

Frank
TurboTec

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-12-2010 09:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TurboTecClick Here to visit TurboTec's HomePageSend a Private Message to TurboTecEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

TurboTec

64 posts
Member since Feb 2010

Originally posted by TiredGXP:

If you're swapping to the LS2 valley cover,,,, for the LS7 in the "we build a perfect union" thread.

Cheers

Thanks I'll check that out.
TurboTec

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-12-2010 09:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TurboTecClick Here to visit TurboTec's HomePageSend a Private Message to TurboTecEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

TurboTec

64 posts
Member since Feb 2010

SORRY, I made a mistake, I should have said replace the Crankshaft Position Sensor.

No worries... I will defiantly check it out...

Hey do you have any info or pictures on the reverse mounted LS4 alternator setup? That's the way I want to do mine...

Frank
Nebiros88

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 59
Rate this member

Report this Post04-12-2010 09:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Nebiros88Click Here to visit Nebiros88's HomePageSend a Private Message to Nebiros88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Just out of curiousity, if you don't mind me asking, what did your LS4 setup set you back??? I found a setup locally and its a little over $3k, wasn't sure if it was a decent deal or not. Thanks
TurboTec

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-12-2010 09:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TurboTecClick Here to visit TurboTec's HomePageSend a Private Message to TurboTecEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I picked up the complete "Dropout" for $2500.00
darkhorizon

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 451
Rate this member

Report this Post04-12-2010 10:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for darkhorizonSend a Private Message to darkhorizonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Using that squirell calculator is pretty stupid if you ask me... why buy a 900whp turbo if you are only going to use 600 of it?
Isolde

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-12-2010 10:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IsoldeSend a Private Message to IsoldeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
No offense intended, but it seems you're not getting the whole pic. Twins will spool sooner, letting you build more power at lower rpm, in addition to their potential for more top end. The squirrel calc. can show this, if you really totally understand all aspects of turbocharging. I wasn't choosing twins based on whether they could support over 700 hp, I was choosing for boost at the lowest rpm with no top end asthma.
TiredGXP

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-12-2010 10:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TiredGXPSend a Private Message to TiredGXPEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
What are your plans for upgrading the transmission? The 4T65e-HD has a bit of a bad rep for failing on the LS4 powered cars...

BTW - looking forward to seeing how this turns out. A boosted LS4 will be sick in one of these little cars.

Cheers
PFF
System Bot
darkhorizon

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-12-2010 11:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for darkhorizonSend a Private Message to darkhorizonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I picked up the complete "Dropout" for $2500.00

Ouch, they are pretty commonly had out here in the $1000-1200 range with 30-50k miles.

Turbos dont "run out of breath" until they fall off the efficiency map. The fact that they are not 80% efficient the whole time they are in boost is not an indicator that they will make "less" power at that airflow over a lessor airflow. In most cases, the intercooler just makes up the difference anyway.

Twins in sub 1000WHP applications spool slower than a similarly sized single turbo.
TiredGXP

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-12-2010 11:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TiredGXPSend a Private Message to TiredGXPEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by darkhorizon:

Twins in sub 1000WHP applications spool slower than a similarly sized single turbo.

Not if the twins are properly sized for the application
Rickady88GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-13-2010 12:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Rickady88GTSend a Private Message to Rickady88GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The stock 4T65E on the stock LS4 has a reputation of failing. Maybe GM should have used the 80?
I would be happy with 500HP from a turbo.
TiredGXP

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-13-2010 01:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TiredGXPSend a Private Message to TiredGXPEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

The stock 4T65E on the stock LS4 has a reputation of failing. Maybe GM should have used the 80?
I would be happy with 500HP from a turbo.

I'd be happy with that power too, There's several active threads about transmission failures over on the LS1tech forum.

Since I've got a set of Doug Thorley headers waiting to go on, so the only turbo in the GP's future would have to be a rear mount, not a big fan of those though.

Cheers
TurboTec

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-13-2010 08:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TurboTecClick Here to visit TurboTec's HomePageSend a Private Message to TurboTecEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Isolde, No offense taken... I do understand that properly sized twins will spool quicker and will allow for an efficient total map at high RPM. I'm not looking for instantaneous boost for this build, but a more gradual curve to aid traction and to be easier on the transmission. I will be running a split tangential housing with an inlet diverter to help with spool, and If needed a progressive boost controller. Also with the Fiero's limited space plumbing of twins and controlling the heat would be a difficult task...

TiredGXP, I've been looking at several companies for a built tranny but I haven't decided yet. I want to keep the stall below 2500 and make it as strong as possible. The 4T65 is new to me so I've been doing research. I frequent LS1Tech and other GXP and Monte forums and have heard of others problems with this transmission. From what I gather 500HP or below can be safe with just a good shift kit and a proper tune but 700HP at the crank is another story. You have any recommendations?

"Turbos dont "run out of breath" until they fall off the efficiency map. The fact that they are not 80% efficient the whole time they are in boost is not an indicator that they will make "less" power at that airflow over a lessor airflow. In most cases, the intercooler just makes up the difference anyway."

darkhorizon, not entirely true you need to consider the parasitic loss of the inter-cooler and the compounded excessive back pressure caused. There's no free lunch... I looked a round but that was the best deal I could find on the dropout that included Engine, Axles, ECU, TCU, Transmission, Harness, MAF, Gas pedal and all accessories...

Frank
Dracor

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-13-2010 08:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DracorSend a Private Message to DracorEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

darkhorizon, not entirely true you need to consider the parasitic loss of the inter-cooler and the compounded excessive back pressure caused. There's no free lunch... I looked a round but that was the best deal I could find on the dropout that included Engine, Axles, ECU, TCU, Transmission, Harness, MAF, Gas pedal and all accessories...

Frank

Don't know how long you have been looking at this forum, but darkhorizon seems to put dollar amounts in British pounds. Basically double anything he says for dollar amounts. lol

You might also want to upgrade the gas tank or get an additional fuel cell, the small fiero tank + turbo V8 + e85 + auto tranny = frequent pit stops if it is a daily driver. Not to mention there are far few e85 stations around.

Be sure to get a video with good sound when you get that turbo on
darkhorizon

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-13-2010 08:43 AM Click Here to See the Profile for darkhorizonSend a Private Message to darkhorizonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Intercooler loss is measured in fractions of percents.. and efficiency losses in the turbo compressor is measure in a few percent. When we are talking on a scale such as this, you are fighting for nearly insignificant amounts of power, and the "no free lunch" part of it is the severely decreased street manners.. Big turbos are alot more expensive, spool slower, and are just not as effective when it comes to exhaust side mapping (yes there is such a thing as a turbine efficiency map).

I still stand by the fact that a single out spools twins in sub 1000whp situations. I have played with true twin turbo supras and single turbo supras enough to know... 2 GT35r's spool much later (like 1200rpms later, which doesnt really matter when you shift at 9300rpms) than a GTS trimed T76, and the 35r's only have a 1100whp worth of effective flow, compared to the T76 has about 1000whp. I suppose it would be possible to go with some large GT30's, in ball bearing form, to MAYBE get similar spool speeds, but the efficiency is not going to be there when compared to the latest and greatest big single turbos.

Now, this may have been true years ago when the coolest single turbo you could get into was a old framed T70, with a crummy wheel on it, and a sluggish exhaust wheel.. but there are just SO many options now in the single turbo world that you just cant compete.

In all honesty, with 8 60# injectors and E85... Your fuel system wouldnt last long with ONE GT35r on there... I blow through my 6 60# injectors at about 17psi on my GT30r running at 50lb/m. Another 2 injectors is going to get you to about a 65lb/m flow (right around a GT35r's max flow rate), which is still under the 600whp mark by a good margin (behind a 65e anyway).

I also would suggest that the street manners of 1 GT35r would not be what you think it is. The 5.7 LS1 I tuned last week with a 60mm holset on it was alot more slugish in terms of spool that I had expected. It was mildly better than the T67 I did for someone last year on their LS1.
TurboTec

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-13-2010 08:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TurboTecClick Here to visit TurboTec's HomePageSend a Private Message to TurboTecEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Here are a couple of pictures of the headers, they will be flipped upside down on the car. I will take more pictures once installed on the motor. I had IRCFabrication build these for another project but I think they will work perfect on the Fiero with the turbo mounted over the transmission.

Isolde

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-13-2010 09:11 AM Click Here to See the Profile for IsoldeSend a Private Message to IsoldeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Dayumn, what a beauty! So that one's gonna be on the front, exiting on the trans side? Where did you get them?
The no offense comment was aimed at dark horizon. Holsets are for Cummins. Period. And if a T60 was slow spooling on a 5.7L, then the hot side a/r was too big. Squires used a T61 on their patented rear turbo setup for '93-'02 V8 Camaros.
If you're wanting a softer boost curve, and it makes good sense, then why not just go with an ATI ProCharger? It also has the benefit of cleaner emissions than turbocharging.
TurboTec

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-13-2010 09:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TurboTecClick Here to visit TurboTec's HomePageSend a Private Message to TurboTecEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
darkhorizon, I work with turbines for a living and have done so for 25+ years, efficiency is key in my field and will be top priority on my build. I do agree a GT30 would get the job done but I'm sure everyone on this forum has built something just to take it a part and change it in a year. I'm planning on giving myself some room for growth and building the piping and cooling system to support a GT45 T4 to start with. I know myself to well to fall in this trap again... The fuel system is only a start for low boost and can easily be upgraded as boost is increased. I don't want to start off with a set of 160's just yet...

Dracor, Yes I know E85 stations are few and far between and that SUX... I do have one just a few miles from my home for local jaunts so I should be OK. If a road trip was planned I would need to get out the laptop with HPTuners to flash for Gas and lower the boost set-point... That's whats great about turbos!
PFF
System Bot
TurboTec

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-13-2010 09:43 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TurboTecClick Here to visit TurboTec's HomePageSend a Private Message to TurboTecEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

TurboTec

64 posts
Member since Feb 2010

Dayumn, what a beauty! So that one's gonna be on the front, exiting on the trans side? Where did you get them?

Thanks, they were going on my 72 Corvette but now will have a home on the Fiero. Marty and I built them at IRCFabrication, I did the cuts and he did the welding. The dude can weld anything you put in front of him... the other side is a mirror image with both exiting toward the transmission bell housing. We will also be building a custom bar and plate radiator and a water to air inter-cooler with a forward mounted closed loop heat exchanger for this build, no plans for an Ice tank as of yet....

dobey

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 371
User Banned

Report this Post04-13-2010 10:37 AM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

AkursedX, I'm going to delete the DOD and replace the valley cover so that I can use the LS2 stuff backwards. I'm thinking it will work fine as long as I change the valley cover. Right?

See the first couple of posts on this thread, instead:

//www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/095910.html

I'm doing the same thing for my swap.
TurboTec

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-13-2010 10:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TurboTecClick Here to visit TurboTec's HomePageSend a Private Message to TurboTecEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by dobey:

See the first couple of posts on this thread, instead:

//www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/095910.html

I'm doing the same thing for my swap.

Yep that's what I'm talking about. He even has the LSD I want on that page. Thanks Dobey

Other boosted LS2's have made upwards of 20PSIG stock without the heads lifting and intake problems so I should be safe with 17PSIG or less as planned as a start... Once I get it running and measure some pressure ratios and can better decide on a proper camshaft for more power.
dobey

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post04-13-2010 11:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Other boosted LS2's have made upwards of 20PSIG stock without the heads lifting and intake problems so I should be safe with 17PSIG or less as planned as a start... Once I get it running and measure some pressure ratios and can better decide on a proper camshaft for more power.

Are you going to go with dished pistons or anything to drop the compression ratio to handle the boost better?
TurboTec

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-13-2010 12:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TurboTecClick Here to visit TurboTec's HomePageSend a Private Message to TurboTecEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Not at first as I want to play around with E85 to see what can be done with the stock motor. Max boost on Gas would be less than 12PSIG and less than 15 or so with E85. Nothing like putting the cart before the horse as I have tons to do before then... LOL
IVANNATINKLE

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-13-2010 02:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IVANNATINKLESend a Private Message to IVANNATINKLEEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
its simply beautiful
dobey

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post04-13-2010 04:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Not at first as I want to play around with E85 to see what can be done with the stock motor. Max boost on Gas would be less than 12PSIG and less than 15 or so with E85. Nothing like putting the cart before the horse as I have tons to do before then... LOL

Ah. I will be going n/a on mine. I'm not looking to try and squeeze every last drop of power out of it though. I'll be well more than happy with 350-400 at the crank. But I don't have an engine yet either. I'd prefer to snag a whole car, but probably won't be easy to do.
Isolde

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-13-2010 06:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IsoldeSend a Private Message to IsoldeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by dobey:

Are you going to go with dished pistons or anything to drop the compression ratio to handle the boost better?

Up to 15 psi, it's really not necessary. I can link you to several threads if you'd like to see what stock 5.3s can take. Including one car running high 9s in the 1/4 mile.
TiredGXP

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-13-2010 07:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TiredGXPSend a Private Message to TiredGXPEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

TiredGXP, I've been looking at several companies for a built tranny but I haven't decided yet. I want to keep the stall below 2500 and make it as strong as possible. The 4T65 is new to me so I've been doing research. I frequent LS1Tech and other GXP and Monte forums and have heard of others problems with this transmission. From what I gather 500HP or below can be safe with just a good shift kit and a proper tune but 700HP at the crank is another story. You have any recommendations?

Frank

Given the discussion about boost levels later in this thread, you'd probably be looking at a 300M input shaft, stronger chain and sprockets, and maybe a chrome moly output shaft...
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 3 pages long:  1   2   3 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock