86 GT/T refab by nosaint
Started on: 02-20-2010 04:08 PM
Replies: 62 (3546 views)
Last post by: exoticse on 10-25-2014 11:53 PM
nosaint

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-20-2010 04:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for nosaintSend a Private Message to nosaintEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
As some of you may or may not know I purchased a 86 GT last year and then promptly parked it for the winter. This is the first somewhat already done car I have ever bought. Most of the hard stuff is already finished but not to my standards. So this summer I'm going to start playing and modifying!

First, here is a pic of the car

First project is the door panels. The PO must have done them pretty quickly and it showed. Since I already had one panel off this is where I'll start. Here is a pic of the old and the new.

After reading a ton of post on all the cool ideas other Fiero owners have done I came upon the Trans Am conversion. This was of real interest since I have a Trans Am dash, console and panels sitting in my shop. But in the end I decided to start on a little smaller scale and maybe come back to that one.

The top of the door panels remains stock except for the addtion of a painted wooden dowel in the crease painted im my orange accent color. I fabbed up a new panel made of 1/4 MDF for the lower door panel. I drilled holes and glued some smal bolts in the panel so that I could attach it to the factory panel. Shaped it to match the contour and then covered it in some diamond mesh vinyl and bolted it on. The old carpet was removed and new carpet was glued on the edges only.

The panel does look a little plain but I still may add a door pod for a speaker or map pockets. And for a finishing touch I have ordered some orange welting to add around the edges of the new wooden panel. This is from Mr. Mikes and will match my seats which should be in by summer. On to the pics...

------------------
1986 Fiero GT-T intercooled turbo

[This message has been edited by nosaint (edited 05-04-2010).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
timcha

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-20-2010 08:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for timchaSend a Private Message to timchaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Very slick! I hope you won't mind if I steal and slightly modify the idea for mine?
Pete Matos

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-21-2010 12:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Pete MatosSend a Private Message to Pete MatosEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Dude, that car is already badass!!! Looks like Darth Vaders car..... Let them Go Stay on the leader.... the force is strong with this one..... ( insert cool Darth Vader breathing sounds).... peace
winger1955

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-21-2010 01:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for winger1955Send a Private Message to winger1955Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
one of two of the coolest fiero's i have ever seen. don't change it. it is awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
exoticse

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 108
Rate this member

Report this Post02-21-2010 03:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for exoticseSend a Private Message to exoticseEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Sweet !! I had just pm Nosaint a few days back regarding the latest on his GT.

Glad to see you start a build thread on this gorgeous ride.

I agree with most, not a lot needs done to this car, it is simply jaw dropping as is !

Definatly one of my favorite fieros on the entire forum ! Reminds me of this bad@ss one i saw a looooong time ago.

[This message has been edited by exoticse (edited 02-21-2010).]

nosaint

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-21-2010 06:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for nosaintSend a Private Message to nosaintEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by timcha:

Very slick! I hope you won't mind if I steal and slightly modify the idea for mine?

heck no but pass on the idea with pics!

------------------
1986 Fiero GT-T intercooled turbo

FieroFury33

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post02-21-2010 10:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroFury33Send a Private Message to FieroFury33Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
sorry dude but now Im gonna clone that car in the original post in this topic
nosaint

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-04-2010 01:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for nosaintSend a Private Message to nosaintEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
almost final design.
Mr. Mikes orange welting around the lower panel and of course my painted dowel doesnt match...
Cant seem to capture the nice contrast between the black, orange and grey with the camera but it looks pretty sharp for real.

[This message has been edited by nosaint (edited 03-04-2010).]

nosaint

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-13-2010 03:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for nosaintSend a Private Message to nosaintEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
spent some time working on the speaker pod idea and came up with this..not sure it goes with the rest of the door panel, shoot me your thoughts.

TommyRocker

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-13-2010 03:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TommyRockerSend a Private Message to TommyRockerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Beautiful car, I'm not sure how you could improve the exterior. As for the speaker pods, I think the would look better without the tweeter part jutting off. Or, it would be cool if it kind of mirrored the shape of the armrest/handle. might be a challenge tho. Seriously, I love your car, its my favorite....what are those wheels? ok, time for a cold shower....
riley

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-13-2010 09:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rileySend a Private Message to rileyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I think it would look better with the correct door handle installed. j/k. but really my first thoughts were that the tweeter should be along the front edge of the door panel, then I realized that the dash is probably there so you had to move it. My next thought was that the speaker looked to be sending sound into the feet of the people in the car and not towards their ears. It looks like you made a pocket to hold items in which I though was really good use of space and tied the whole panel together nicely. I also really like the orange around the black. Two questions for you 1. What size of speaker is that made for and 2. When can I send you my panels to get done?
PFF
System Bot
nosaint

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-13-2010 09:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for nosaintSend a Private Message to nosaintEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
These are actually the pods from my 4th gen TA door panels I had in my shop that i was going to use to convert my 86 Trans Am...thats not going to happen so i shortened them up and molded in the speaker ring. It does have a cup holder and I left enough room for a map pocket of sorts. Placement is definatley not the best but its gotta be better than stock? Was going to ditch the rears and use and adapter for 5 1/4 in the dash and doors

They are currently painted the same as the door handle surround, maybe covered in vinyl or painted black might make it blend better.

[This message has been edited by nosaint (edited 03-13-2010).]

nosaint

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-28-2010 06:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for nosaintSend a Private Message to nosaintEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Finally got around to getting the Fiero into my work bay, starting with a quick polish/clean then on to bigger and better things.

[This message has been edited by nosaint (edited 04-28-2010).]

exoticse

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-28-2010 11:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for exoticseSend a Private Message to exoticseEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Damn !

Hands down one of the sexiest fieros on the forum !

Nosaint you are making me contemplate taking on a project i don't need to be starting right now !
cooguyfish

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 72
Rate this member

Report this Post04-29-2010 12:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for cooguyfishSend a Private Message to cooguyfishEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I <3 that car.

Wheels,
wingless,
stance,
sex appeal,

All of the above, check

-Brandon
exoticse

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-29-2010 01:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for exoticseSend a Private Message to exoticseEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Nosaint, i know you have mentioned the wheel size, and brand before, but my question is what size are the tires ?

That car has the perfect fiero stance.
nosaint

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-03-2010 08:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for nosaintSend a Private Message to nosaintEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Wheels are MRR GT1 Front-8.5"-235/35/19 Rear-9.5"-265/30/19

Few more updates since I was able to move some cars out of storage and get the Fiero in the work bay.. First one is LED brake light. 2 pics one old and one new. Final position of the LED will be a bit higher

Some interior work. Redid headliner in black, redid rear firewall, painted all trim black, and redyed carpet black.

and lastly, always hated how on one side of the car there is a scoop and other side was bare....so I had a scoop lying around for years just waiting for an application. Basically just did it for looks but in the back of my mind I hope to mount the intercooler in behind...someday.....

[This message has been edited by nosaint (edited 05-03-2010).]

vinny

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 54
Rate this member

Report this Post05-03-2010 09:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for vinnySend a Private Message to vinnyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Odd scoop. What did come from? Looks pretty good!

Vinny
nosaint

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-03-2010 10:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for nosaintSend a Private Message to nosaintEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
first gen MR2

FieroDev

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-03-2010 11:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroDevSend a Private Message to FieroDevEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I like your creativity!
Blacktree

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 350
Rate this member

Report this Post05-04-2010 12:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BlacktreeClick Here to visit Blacktree's HomePageSend a Private Message to BlacktreeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Mikey likes it!

(the whole car, including the scoop and door panels, is badass)
PFF
System Bot
GT86FASTBACK

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-04-2010 12:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for GT86FASTBACKSend a Private Message to GT86FASTBACKEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I love the door panels!
SMTHGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-04-2010 03:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SMTHGTSend a Private Message to SMTHGTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
One of the CLEANEST Fieros I have ever seen... Very nice.

------------------
SMTHGT.....
Aka. "SmoothGT"
<---RIP
1987 GT 4.9L~V8~4T60E
(Un.Su.)

Carcenomy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-04-2010 06:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for CarcenomyClick Here to visit Carcenomy's HomePageSend a Private Message to CarcenomyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The MR2 scoop looks kinda funny on there, mostly just 'cause it's totally square and the Fiero totally isn't, everything's angled. BUT, doesn't stop it being awesome - gonna make the other side match?

Looks purdy, seriously sexy car.
Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post05-04-2010 06:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I like it!

Since the aftermarket is so small, lots of Fiero mods end up being repeated over and over.
Yours is different.

Did I mention that I like it?

------------------
Raydar
88 4.9 Formula IMSA Fasback..........................88 3.4 coupe -soon to be something other than red

Read Nealz Nuze! Praise the Lowered!

nosaint

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-04-2010 08:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for nosaintSend a Private Message to nosaintEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks guys, would love to do the vent on the other side but have to check the clearance on that side on whether the scoop can be rotated.

nosaint

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-04-2010 11:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for nosaintSend a Private Message to nosaintEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

nosaint

292 posts
Member since Aug 2009
so i was talking to another board member about how the wheels fits my car....seems its a bit tougher than i thought
Found out it has ground control coil overs and 85 - 90 Grand Am rotors and calipers...another odd thing its that it has been converted to 114.3 bolt pattern. Can one of you experts explain to me what exactly he would have done to do that?
exoticse

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-04-2010 11:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for exoticseSend a Private Message to exoticseEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Hmmmm,..not sure why the previous owner would have changed the bolt pattern,..those wheels are available in the same size in the fiero bolt pattern.
riley

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-05-2010 12:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for rileySend a Private Message to rileyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
i did some searching and found alot on 5x120.7 conversion but not the 5x114.3 conversion.
IwannaIRM

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 58
Rate this member

Report this Post05-05-2010 12:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for IwannaIRMSend a Private Message to IwannaIRMEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by exoticse:
Hmmmm,..not sure why the previous owner would have changed the bolt pattern,..those wheels are available in the same size in the fiero bolt pattern.

And what is the offset for both the front and rears? I need a set of these wheels for my Fiero. Got the size from up earlier in this post but need offsets. Pleeeeeeeaaaaase!
nosaint

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-05-2010 12:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for nosaintSend a Private Message to nosaintEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
on the MRR site there is no listing for a 5x100 GT1 in 19 x 9.5
I will get that info in a few days. To run this setup you need coil overs, and a new hub. This stance also uses about 4mm spacers.

I wonder if he just drilled out the hub to the new bolt pattern?

[This message has been edited by nosaint (edited 05-05-2010).]

PFF
System Bot
exoticse

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-05-2010 12:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for exoticseSend a Private Message to exoticseEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I was mistaken i saw the fronts, but not the rears.

http://www.mrrwheels.com/gt1.html
IwannaIRM

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 58
Rate this member

Report this Post05-05-2010 12:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for IwannaIRMSend a Private Message to IwannaIRMEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by nosaint:

on the MRR site there is no listing for a 5x100 GT1 in 19 x 9.5
I will get that info in a few days. To run this setup you need coil overs, and a new hub. This stance also uses about 4mm spacers.

I wonder if he just drilled out the hub to the new bolt pattern?

I found that size here but not sure about the offset. http://www.erzperformance.c...p?ProductCode=mmrgth

$244 each for 19x9.5 5x100mm and 42 offset and for the fronts 19x8.5 5x100mm and 35 offset
Carcenomy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-05-2010 03:30 AM Click Here to See the Profile for CarcenomyClick Here to visit Carcenomy's HomePageSend a Private Message to CarcenomyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
5x114.3... I could see how that'd be sorta handy, but not on a Fiero - that's more common as Japanese RWD pattern, common with the RX7, Supra and Skyline...
nosaint

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-05-2010 09:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for nosaintSend a Private Message to nosaintEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
so some news, rims are not 114.3...they are both 5 x 100 just like they are suppose to be. Why would a rim company stamp a rim with 114.3 on the back if its not?

[This message has been edited by nosaint (edited 05-07-2010).]

nosaint

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-07-2010 08:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for nosaintSend a Private Message to nosaintEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
one small step today...1 LED marker installed

nosaint

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-07-2010 06:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for nosaintSend a Private Message to nosaintEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Finished up with the C4 seats today. They are not perfect but they are still better than my alternatives. Would like to redo in cloth but thats further down the line. Few pics:

While I was stealing all the parts of my Trans Am, the momo had to go!

And one last one of the finished calipers. Stipped the previous emblem and added the Fiero GT script.

Custom2M4

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 114
Rate this member

Report this Post01-14-2011 12:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Custom2M4Send a Private Message to Custom2M4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Nice car! Got any engine bay pics?
nosaint

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-15-2011 10:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for nosaintSend a Private Message to nosaintEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
nothing pic worthy..

exoticse

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-25-2011 06:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for exoticseSend a Private Message to exoticseEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Anything new ?
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock