Yet another build thread by JPH87
Started on: 02-04-2010 10:28 PM
Replies: 128 (7560 views)
Last post by: exoticse on 08-13-2015 08:38 PM
JPH87

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-04-2010 10:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JPH87Send a Private Message to JPH87Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hi all, well the biggest reason I have decided to try a thread is to give credit to the vendors and the PFF members I have used and got Ideas and insperation from. I have an 87 GT that I have owned for 13 years was a daily driver for 9 of those years I put a 3.4 pr out of a camaro in it in 2000. The car has 240,000 miles on it and pretty much needs every thing, perfect candidate for a big project. Over the last year + I have been reading here and collecting some parts. Over the next year or 2 it is going to get done I hope. I have not decided on a power plant yet. I'm for once going to do the exterior first. The next 2 things to buy will be norms c6 flipper and Archie's hatch. As I post pics of parts and mods I tell were and who I got it from. Most of which has been through this forum. so heres were we are at now.

Thanks to Design 1 Kevin's brake kit bolts up easy. West cost fiero for the front lowering springs and the fiero store for new bearings and all the poly allthe way around. When I removed the a arms I bead blasted them and powder coated them black Harbor freight powder coat gun and an old oven works pretty good.

I have to admit I went for the corvette brakes more for looks then stoping power plus got a smokin deal on the calipers.

JimmyS side scoops look nice and are well made. The coil overs I made with the info I got from here on a couple of threads

The lambo hinge was much more dificult then I had planned as with most things. It was a hinge for an eclipse I cut it apart and adapted it twice to get it right still have to do the other side. On the roof sits a Oslo C6 tail pipe they look great but it will be awhile before they get mounted. Thanks for looking comments and ideas welcome. Also thanks to MadCurl he has already answered questions from me and I'm sure I will have many more.

[This message has been edited by JPH87 (edited 02-05-2010).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
87antuzzi

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 228
Rate this member

Report this Post02-05-2010 04:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 87antuzziSend a Private Message to 87antuzziEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
not a fan of lambo doors but always like reading on what was used to make them. Good work. Chop top?
JPH87

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-05-2010 11:30 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JPH87Send a Private Message to JPH87Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
No chop top I don't think I want to take that on and living in Idaho its a big deal to get it to Archie
JPH87

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-14-2010 12:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JPH87Send a Private Message to JPH87Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Got some time yesterday nothing to exciting but I need to get this suspention done so I can roll it forward to start on redesigning the rear bumber.

Having a little BBQ

Litte bead blasting

Ready for powder coating

Ready for the oven

Ding ding cookies are done oh wait wrong oven

My version of a spring locator

Today I'm going to get the other side done and hopefully have it ready for wheels thanks for looking.
JPH87

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-10-2010 10:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JPH87Send a Private Message to JPH87Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Well Finally started to work on the rear bumper here is progress on the plug

I'm waiting on some A B foam I ordered to fill in were the exhaust is and other large voids the exhaust tips will be frenched in with just a small amount of clearence

I'm going with KAHINES tail light panel so I would like to put in Back up lights down low in the bumper any sugestions on a light thanks for looking
JPH87

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-15-2010 12:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JPH87Send a Private Message to JPH87Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
AB foam arrived this is the first time I have used it to build up a plug worked well

This is going to take a while to finish I'm not happy with the boxy look going to half to add some curve
exoticse

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 108
Rate this member

Report this Post04-15-2010 01:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for exoticseSend a Private Message to exoticseEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Nice project !

Keep those pics coming !
JPH87

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-17-2010 12:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JPH87Send a Private Message to JPH87Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
thanks exoticse was begining to wonder if anyone was looking at this. There will be many more pics this weekend I have nothing else I have to do and 2 gallons of mud to get creative with. May need more LOL
Dogcreek

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-17-2010 12:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DogcreekSend a Private Message to DogcreekEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Man you need to get together with us INW Fiero club dudes (and brides) We love getting together and helping each other on their builds... Looking Good!

Jeff
JPH87

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-18-2010 03:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JPH87Send a Private Message to JPH87Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks Jeff, aaronkoch sent me the info to get involved. Your swap looks like it is going well. Today went pretty well didn't get as far as I wanted but that is the way of these things went through 2 gallons of mud on this so far getting it close.

Might get it in primer on sunday if all goes well
JPH87

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-19-2010 02:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JPH87Send a Private Message to JPH87Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Didn't get in primer but close

PFF
System Bot
exoticmotorsportscom

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-21-2010 12:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for exoticmotorsportscomClick Here to visit exoticmotorsportscom's HomePageSend a Private Message to exoticmotorsportscomEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thats great. Nice car.
Whats the ultimate plan for the car. Are you going to do anything different to the hood and roof section?

------------------

customwheels@exoticmotorsports.com" TARGET=_blank>www.ExoticMotorSports.com

JPH87

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-22-2010 03:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JPH87Send a Private Message to JPH87Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by exoticmotorsportscom:

Thats great. Nice car.
Whats the ultimate plan for the car. Are you going to do anything different to the hood and roof section?

Norms c6 flipper and archies hatch. I have not decided on another swap yet what ever I go with I want to keep it a stick shift
JPH87

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-24-2010 09:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JPH87Send a Private Message to JPH87Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
didn't get much done today but I did get it in primer so I could get a better look at what I have left to do. Lots of pin holes

6 inches to the ground I like it
Fieroking

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 78
Rate this member

Report this Post04-24-2010 10:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FierokingClick Here to visit Fieroking's HomePageSend a Private Message to FierokingEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Looking good. I'd like a little more curvy, it a little to boxey for my taste. Are you using regular bondo to build it up? If you are please be aware that bondo does not stick to the urethane bumper very well. You need to use a product called evercoat, it is designed to work with urethane. Keep up the good work. Drop me a PM or call me (208-699-2648) if you have any questions.

Joe Sokol

------------------
85 SE Daily driver with a 3.4 DOHC OBD II
88 Formula/GT 4.9 Allante Intake (My Baby)

JPH87

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-25-2010 01:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JPH87Send a Private Message to JPH87Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks Joe its just the plug so it will never see real use and I did use evercoat on the first coat
RCR

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 102
Rate this member

Report this Post04-25-2010 10:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RCRSend a Private Message to RCREdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I like what you're doing. Nice job so far. I do have one small issue...You need to shopvac that floor

I'll be watching...

Bob
JPH87

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-26-2010 12:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JPH87Send a Private Message to JPH87Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Didn't work on the bumper today. Took the headers out off the 3.4 and beadblasted them to sell there over in the mall. I also took apart a set of AMC 401 heads for kid who's building a AMC Javlin I have to say for a 401 cubic inch motor they have little intake and exhaust ports. I will be ordering some resin and duratec on monday. hopefully start making the mold in 2-3 weeks. oh ya I also used the shopvac on the floor

[This message has been edited by JPH87 (edited 04-26-2010).]

exoticse

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 108
Rate this member

Report this Post04-26-2010 12:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for exoticseSend a Private Message to exoticseEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Very impressive work !

Looks good, but i am still trying to determine if it is too boxy ? It is hard to get a good feel with all the different colors and no aftermarket wheels, but i like what i see for the most part.

Do you anticipate any heat problems from the exhaust pipes ? Are any heat shields required ?
JPH87

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-26-2010 02:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JPH87Send a Private Message to JPH87Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by exoticse:
Very impressive work !

Looks good, but i am still trying to determine if it is too boxy ? It is hard to get a good feel with all the different colors and no aftermarket wheels, but i like what i see for the most part.

Do you anticipate any heat problems from the exhaust pipes ? Are any heat shields required ?

There is about 1/8 inch clearance around the pipes I don't think it will bother the fiberglass if it does I will open them up a little. Looking at Troyboy's his seem very close also
JPH87

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-10-2010 01:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JPH87Send a Private Message to JPH87Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Not much progress lately wating on some supplies to arrive mainly duratec and resin. I did take 1 of the side scoops off and make a plug so I can make it more functional to the air cleaner.
first I made a form out of cardboard and foil tape

Then poured in some AB foam love that stuff watch it grow

then carved it down and shaped it

Then foil taped over it when I get my resin I will wax the foil make the part and fiberglass it to Jimmy's scoop creating an air box that will have a 3 inch pipe coming out going to the air cleaner and a small hole in the bottom to let water out

PFF
System Bot
madcurl

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 314
Rate this member

Report this Post05-10-2010 02:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Since you've tweaked it; how much lower is the rear bumper? Looks similar to the one that I'm having tweaked too. Keep up the good work. I like people who think outside the box.

------------------

"Friends don't let their friends drive stock."

[This message has been edited by madcurl (edited 05-10-2010).]

Danyel

Feedback score:    (91)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 171
Rate this member

Report this Post05-10-2010 02:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DanyelClick Here to visit Danyel's HomePageSend a Private Message to DanyelEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Nice work ... keep the pics coming !!!

------------------

http://www.blackwidowfiero.com

JPH87

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-10-2010 03:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JPH87Send a Private Message to JPH87Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks Madcurl the front edge of the bumper closest to the tire is stock I just brought that level back. At the back its about 3 inchs lower then the stock bumber were it make its turn up. I think I may put a vent in the middle under the plate similar to Troys not the same but similar idea to break it up a little.
JPH87

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-10-2010 03:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JPH87Send a Private Message to JPH87Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

JPH87

292 posts
Member since Sep 2008

Originally posted by Danyel:

Nice work ... keep the pics coming !!!

Thanks will do just need to get some supplies in shipping is slow or am I whinning
madcurl

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 314
Rate this member

Report this Post05-10-2010 01:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by JPH87:

Thanks Madcurl the front edge of the bumper closest to the tire is stock I just brought that level back. At the back its about 3 inchs lower then the stock bumber were it make its turn up. I think I may put a vent in the middle under the plate similar to Troys not the same but similar idea to break it up a little.

You have a pm.
JPH87

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-10-2010 05:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JPH87Send a Private Message to JPH87Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
PM replied A year or 2 ago I messaged you with alot of questions and you took the time to answer them all thanks again now the project has begun in ernest.
aeffertz

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-10-2010 06:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for aeffertzSend a Private Message to aeffertzEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I like the rear bumper! Reminds me of a third gen Camaro rear end.
Very cool.
JPH87

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-11-2010 12:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JPH87Send a Private Message to JPH87Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by aeffertz:

I like the rear bumper! Reminds me of a third gen Camaro rear end.
Very cool.

Thanks UPS came today so I can really make a mess now
JPH87

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-12-2010 01:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JPH87Send a Private Message to JPH87Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Did a little more body work and filled pin holes so I could shoot the duratec now I have to cut and buff the bumper. Then put on about 8-10 coats of mold release so there will not be much to take a pic of for a few days. Hope to be able to shoot gel coat and start fiberglassing on sun or monday. Heres what it looks like in duratec.

I'm starting to remember why I have not this kind of work much in the last ten years I'm not a big fan of wet sanding and buffing, But the better the plug the less work you have to do to the part

[This message has been edited by JPH87 (edited 05-12-2010).]

Tony Kania

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 305
User Banned

Report this Post05-12-2010 11:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Tony KaniaSend a Private Message to Tony KaniaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hi there Justin! I got to meet you the other day at the car show. I must say, I am glad that you are doing all of the body mods to your GT. I like being the only one around with a "mostly stock" looking GT. I am PMing you my #. Hit me up some time if you are ever in the South Hill neighborhood. Or if you just need an extra hand wrenching. We have some of the most knowledgeable, caring, and friendly folks here in the Inland Northwest Fiero Club.

I PMed JohnWPB thinking he was you. He was a pretty nice guy about it when I talked with him on Sunday.

------------------

[This message has been edited by Tony Kania (edited 05-12-2010).]

PFF
System Bot
ghost187x

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-12-2010 09:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ghost187xSend a Private Message to ghost187xEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
added to favorites. Nice work! keep it up!!!!
aaronkoch

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-13-2010 12:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for aaronkochSend a Private Message to aaronkochEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
pardon my ignorance, but what is duratec? is it like a hard workable shell to make the mold smooth?
JPH87

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-13-2010 01:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JPH87Send a Private Message to JPH87Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by aaronkoch:

pardon my ignorance, but what is duratec? is it like a hard workable shell to make the mold smooth?

Its like primer but you can buff it to a gloss so the mold will come out smooth and it sands real easy. It is also poly based so it uses the same catylist as resin and gel coat.
JPH87

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-13-2010 01:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JPH87Send a Private Message to JPH87Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

JPH87

292 posts
Member since Sep 2008

Originally posted by ghost187x:

added to favorites. Nice work! keep it up!!!!

Thanks
Hey Tony and Arron it was nice meeting both of you Tony you have a very clean car with some very nice touches. Soon as I get this plug cut and buffed If you want to see how you lay up glass your more than welcome to come over and check it out.
aaronkoch

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-13-2010 03:37 AM Click Here to See the Profile for aaronkochSend a Private Message to aaronkochEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hells yeah! I've always wanted to see the right way to do it..
JPH87

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-15-2010 04:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JPH87Send a Private Message to JPH87Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
aaron you have a pm
JPH87

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-23-2010 03:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JPH87Send a Private Message to JPH87Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Ok its been a little while since I posted progress there is not much to show the bumper mold is still being laid up couple more layers and it should be good. I did get the air box done today. So here are some pics of the progress.

Here's the plug all ready after buffing and 8+ coats of mold release shot it with orange gel coat and backed it in black.

after the first layer of glass looks the same now only thicker

I needed to make a fiberglass 3" out side diamiter tube so I took a peice of 3" inside diamiter PVC. Cut it on one side using a very thin dremal cut so I would not take it out of round. spread it apart laid in 2 layers of glass closed it up and put 1 layer on the seam and presto a tube.

Here is how thin of a cutter I used, tiny went thru a few they have a tendancy to explode

Here are some pics of the air box and fitting the tube

the back side of JimmyS scoop

trimmed up and test fitting

tube all glassed in

painted the inside so when you look in the scoop you will not see raw fiberglass

All done ready to install tomorrow

Thanks for looking Later J
Will-Martin

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 63
Rate this member

Report this Post05-23-2010 03:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Will-MartinClick Here to visit Will-Martin's HomePageSend a Private Message to Will-MartinEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

didn't get much done today but I did get it in primer so I could get a better look at what I have left to do. Lots of pin holes

6 inches to the ground I like it

I like that a lot, looks so clean. What do you have planned for the front?
Gokart Mozart

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 159
Rate this member

Report this Post05-23-2010 06:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Gokart MozartClick Here to visit Gokart Mozart's HomePageSend a Private Message to Gokart MozartEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Thanks for looking Later J

Are you going to cut a hole in the bottom to let water and junk fall out?

[This message has been edited by Gokart Mozart (edited 05-23-2010).]

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 4 pages long:  1   2   3   4 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock