CT # 10 Update by Jim88GT
Started on: 01-20-2010 07:35 PM
Replies: 246 (9361 views)
Last post by: Jim88GT on 02-02-2024 06:55 PM
Jim88GT

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-23-2011 06:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Jim88GTSend a Private Message to Jim88GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by madcurl:

Nice. Our 1st choptop fastback in yellow.

You did your first in silver - what are your plans to be first in the color choice for the other 2?

Jim
IP: Logged
madcurl

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 314
Rate this member

Report this Post02-23-2011 06:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Jim88GT:

You did your first in silver - what are your plans to be first in the color choice for the other 2?

Jim

If you mean #015-I don't know? It's not that many original colors left (blue, white, black, red, & now yellow). However, I have something in mind that is unique and isn't seen on a choptop-yet.
dobey

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 371
User Banned

Report this Post02-24-2011 09:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

If you mean #015-I don't know? It's not that many original colors left (blue, white, black, red, & now yellow). However, I have something in mind that is unique and isn't seen on a choptop-yet.

Mamba Green?
Jim88GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-24-2011 09:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Jim88GTSend a Private Message to Jim88GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Finally got over to Outlaws to check out the car - it's coming together nicely! The mirrors, hood, front chin spoiler, side moldings and rockers are installed and the car is looking sharp in yellow Should be finished by next weekend so I can take it out and get some pics in natural light. Asa and the crew rock!

Jim
exoticse

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 108
Rate this member

Report this Post03-10-2011 11:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for exoticseSend a Private Message to exoticseEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

[This message has been edited by exoticse (edited 03-10-2011).]

madcurl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-11-2011 01:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Finally got over to Outlaws to check out the car - it's coming together nicely! The mirrors, hood, front chin spoiler, side moldings and rockers are installed and the car is looking sharp in yellow Should be finished by next weekend so I can take it out and get some pics in natural light. Asa and the crew rock!

Jim

Now that #010 is nearly completed-are you going to D11?
Jim88GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-11-2011 07:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Jim88GTSend a Private Message to Jim88GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Afraid not - too many things to get done here, plus I already have a June Florida vacation trip planned - sorry

Jim

madcurl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-11-2011 07:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Oh well, the chop top is looking good. We need to get 12 chop tops together and make choptop calendars for 2012.
dobey

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post03-11-2011 08:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Looking good. Can't wait to see her next Saturday!
outlaws

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-11-2011 08:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for outlawsClick Here to visit outlaws's HomePageSend a Private Message to outlawsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Ready to go! See you tomorrow Jim!

[img]

------------------
Asa Wilson
Outlaws Rod & Custom
http://outlawsrc.com

outlaws

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-11-2011 08:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for outlawsClick Here to visit outlaws's HomePageSend a Private Message to outlawsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

outlaws

54 posts
Member since Feb 2010
Just a teaser, this is what we are working on also:

1st one is an 88 with Jim's old motor in it, the 383/5 speed. Chop top widebody hatchback

2nd one is an 86 with my old motor in it, a 350/4t40. Chop top widebody.

------------------
Asa Wilson
Outlaws Rod & Custom

PFF
System Bot
Jim88GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-11-2011 08:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Jim88GTSend a Private Message to Jim88GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by outlaws:

Ready to go! See you tomorrow Jim!

[img]

I'll be there! Supposed to be 65 and sunny tomorrow - perfect for a drive

Jim
exoticse

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-12-2011 12:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for exoticseSend a Private Message to exoticseEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Just a teaser, this is what we are working on also:

1st one is an 88 with Jim's old motor in it, the 383/5 speed. Chop top widebody hatchback

2nd one is an 86 with my old motor in it, a 350/4t40. Chop top widebody.

Daaaaaaaang !

Outlaw are one of those yours or both customer cars ? Could one of those also belong to Jim or his wife ??

[This message has been edited by exoticse (edited 03-12-2011).]

Jim88GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-12-2011 06:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Jim88GTSend a Private Message to Jim88GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The hatchbach is Asa's and the 2nd car belongs to one of his employees - my wife sold her 88 a couple of years ago.

Jim
madcurl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-12-2011 04:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Jim. I saw the pics with you leaving the shop. The choptop is sweeeet! I can't post the pics (I'm at work), but I will on Monday.

exoticse

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-12-2011 10:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for exoticseSend a Private Message to exoticseEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Now that is smokin ! Congratulations Jim.

BTW did seeing all those widebodies in the shop, give you pause to think about going wide ?
qwikgta

Feedback score:    (21)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 84
Rate this member

Report this Post03-12-2011 11:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for qwikgtaSend a Private Message to qwikgtaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by exoticse:

BTW did seeing all those widebodies in the shop, give you pause to think about going wide ?

I asked him a few times. told him to do it before the paint. Now, no way he'll do it.

Rob
exoticse

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-13-2011 01:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for exoticseSend a Private Message to exoticseEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by qwikgta:

I asked him a few times. told him to do it before the paint. Now, no way he'll do it.

Rob

What could have been hehehe,....

[This message has been edited by exoticse (edited 03-13-2011).]

Jim88GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-13-2011 01:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Jim88GTSend a Private Message to Jim88GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Thanks - picked it up yesterday in brigh sunshine and the paint really pops!

It's all a matter of personal tastes, and if I went widebody it would be closer to Troyboys. I just don't care for the large vertial shelf behind the front wheels on the MADARCH versions. I.m still ruminating on a way to mod the rear suspension to tuck wider tires inside stock fenders

Jim
madcurl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-13-2011 07:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I'm still ruminating on a way to mod the rear suspension to tuck wider tires inside stock fenders

Jim

What width are the rear wheels?

[This message has been edited by madcurl (edited 03-13-2011).]

exoticse

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-13-2011 07:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for exoticseSend a Private Message to exoticseEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
outlaw please check your PM.

Also, what kind of car is that hanging from the cieling ?? Curly and i are debating, he thinks it is just a poster hehehe

[This message has been edited by exoticse (edited 03-13-2011).]

PFF
System Bot
madcurl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-13-2011 07:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Curley pose, hehe.

[This message has been edited by madcurl (edited 03-13-2011).]

outlaws

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-13-2011 10:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for outlawsClick Here to visit outlaws's HomePageSend a Private Message to outlawsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Replied to your PM.

That is a Fiberfab Avenger (GT40 replica) from 1974. Reminds me to finish all the other projects before I can take it down!

outlaw please check your PM.

Also, what kind of car is that hanging from the cieling ?? Curly and i are debating, he thinks it is just a poster hehehe

------------------
Asa Wilson
Outlaws Rod & Custom

madcurl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-13-2011 10:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Replied to your PM.

That is a Fiberfab Avenger (GT40 replica) from 1974. Reminds me to finish all the other projects before I can take it down!

I thought it look liked a hanging poster. Hey, just how many Fiero are in the shop?
madcurl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-14-2011 01:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I just don't care for the large vertial shelf behind the front wheels on the MADARCH versions. I.m still ruminating on a way to mod the rear suspension to tuck wider tires inside stock fenders

Jim

There's several ways to go about tweaking the area. The easiest way would be to fit the area to match the front wheel. Cut and remove and tuck the modified section. Or add some visual distractions such as a flare or line. Porsche did add a line and opened up the front area behind the wheels to allow for air flow.

In my case, since the rocker was initial made to wrap around 9" front wheels-adding a flare throws off the eyes and adds some pop to a once dull section.

Originally posted by Archie:

We've been working on several things the last few days.
He also is working on the line in the sideburns & fiberglassing in an emblem pocket on the Sideburns of the rocker panels.

outlaws

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-14-2011 04:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for outlawsClick Here to visit outlaws's HomePageSend a Private Message to outlawsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Four total, I have my 88 chop top project, Doug's 86 chop top project, my old 86 notchback that Doug's V8 came out of and I have another 88 Chassis that I have started a chop top on.

I thought it look liked a hanging poster. Hey, just how many Fiero are in the shop?

------------------
Asa Wilson
Outlaws Rod & Custom

Archie

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 546
Rate this member

Report this Post03-14-2011 08:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ArchieClick Here to visit Archie's HomePageSend a Private Message to ArchieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
These came early this AM but I've been away from the PC all day.

Hope they haven't already been posted.

Jim, you should tell introduce us to the guys in this pic.

Nice

Archie
Jim88GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-14-2011 08:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Jim88GTSend a Private Message to Jim88GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Archie

Left to right - the painter (Asa will have to help out his name escapes my fried memory), Asa (Outlaws ownwer and a great guy), me, and Doug? (Asa help!)

Jim
qwikgta

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-14-2011 09:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for qwikgtaSend a Private Message to qwikgtaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Four total, I have my 88 chop top project, Doug's 86 chop top project, my old 86 notchback that Doug's V8 came out of and I have another 88 Chassis that I have started a chop top on.

And Saturday (19 Mar), there will be 6-7 more. We are having our Fiero meeting at Asa's. It may (wx pending) be the first time Jim can show off the new paint. Can't wait.

Thanks again Asa. We'll see you at 11:30 Sat AM.

Rob
madcurl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-15-2011 03:11 AM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hey Jim. How did all of this choptop production started? Did Asa and others decide to purchase the kit from V8Archie after they saw #010? Or were they Fiero owners already? Are all of the current owners members on Pennock's?
dobey

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post03-15-2011 08:37 AM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

And Saturday (19 Mar), there will be 6-7 more. We are having our Fiero meeting at Asa's. It may (wx pending) be the first time Jim can show off the new paint. Can't wait.

Rob

All the forecasts I've seen so far say 76 and sunny. I might even be able to drive my GT down.
PFF
System Bot
exoticse

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-15-2011 09:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for exoticseSend a Private Message to exoticseEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Nice

Archie

Jim i am not really a hood scoop guy,..even though i am looking at one for my car hehehe, but yours looks really good !

VERY good choice.
qwikgta

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-15-2011 11:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for qwikgtaSend a Private Message to qwikgtaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Hey Jim. How did all of this choptop production started? Did Asa and others decide to purchase the kit from V8Archie after they saw #010? Or were they Fiero owners already? Are all of the current owners members on Pennock's?

Asa had the V8 (350 A/T) 86. I am a member of the local GTO club too, and one of the members told me that a friend of his has a V8 Fiero, and owns a "Rod Shop". I knew I had to meet him. We went over to meet Asa and shoot the breeze for a few hours. He is a great guy with a great crew and I ask if I could bring the local Fiero club over. I set up a meeting for the club, anyway, Jim shows up with the Chop Top / 383 Ram Jet for the meeting and Asa fell in love with it. He started talking that day about doing the Chop to his 86. As things go, Jim upgrades his 383 to a LS3, sells Asa the old motor and now Asa has to upgrade, so Asa picks up a 88 to do the work on. Gives his son the 86 and starts to work on his own Chop Top. In the end his son gets a differant ride, so Asa sells off his old motor/trans to a local kid (not a member of the club) and starts to work on swapping the motor for the Kid. Turns out, he gives the kid a job to help pay off the swap. Asa buys a few Chop Top and Wide Body "Kits" from Archie, (one for him, one for the kid who he sold the motor too) and they decided to build the two cars "side by side". Jim, knowing that Asa has a great crew, and does "Top Quality" work, brings his car to Asa for the paint. Thats how you get 4 Fiero in the same shop, at the same time.

Thats the short story.

Rob
Jim88GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-15-2011 06:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Jim88GTSend a Private Message to Jim88GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I think I corrupted ASA last year when we had a club meeting at Outlaws - he already had a V8 Fiero, and seeing one in person probably gave him the itch he just had to scratch! His widebody hatchback is going to be awesome!

Jim
madcurl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-15-2011 11:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Jim88GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-16-2011 05:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Jim88GTSend a Private Message to Jim88GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Jim i am not really a hood scoop guy,..even though i am looking at one for my car hehehe, but yours looks really good !

VERY good choice.

Thanks - but the credit goes to SKITIME - I just copied his design since I liked the look and it vents the nose.

Jim
outlaws

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-16-2011 08:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for outlawsClick Here to visit outlaws's HomePageSend a Private Message to outlawsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Left to right - the painter (Asa will have to help out his name escapes my fried memory), Asa (Outlaws ownwer and a great guy), me, and Doug? (Asa help!)

Jim

Will is the painter on the left and yes Doug is on the right.
Thanks Jim!

------------------
Asa Wilson
Outlaws Rod & Custom

outlaws

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-16-2011 08:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for outlawsClick Here to visit outlaws's HomePageSend a Private Message to outlawsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

outlaws

54 posts
Member since Feb 2010

Asa had the V8 (350 A/T) 86. I am a member of the local GTO club too, and one of the members told me that a friend of his has a V8 Fiero, and owns a "Rod Shop". I knew I had to meet him. We went over to meet Asa and shoot the breeze for a few hours. He is a great guy with a great crew and I ask if I could bring the local Fiero club over. I set up a meeting for the club, anyway, Jim shows up with the Chop Top / 383 Ram Jet for the meeting and Asa fell in love with it. He started talking that day about doing the Chop to his 86. As things go, Jim upgrades his 383 to a LS3, sells Asa the old motor and now Asa has to upgrade, so Asa picks up a 88 to do the work on. Gives his son the 86 and starts to work on his own Chop Top. In the end his son gets a differant ride, so Asa sells off his old motor/trans to a local kid (not a member of the club) and starts to work on swapping the motor for the Kid. Turns out, he gives the kid a job to help pay off the swap. Asa buys a few Chop Top and Wide Body "Kits" from Archie, (one for him, one for the kid who he sold the motor too) and they decided to build the two cars "side by side". Jim, knowing that Asa has a great crew, and does "Top Quality" work, brings his car to Asa for the paint. Thats how you get 4 Fiero in the same shop, at the same time.

Thats the short story.

Rob

Long Story:
I have always liked Fiero's and have had about 7 or 8 of them. I've always been a lurker, kept my mouth shut and just listened! One day I bought my first Corvette(81) and suddenly Fieor's were below me. Sold them all because Ii was big time now! LOL! I have a 2000 with true fire on the hood and sides which you can see a little of it in one of Jim's pics.
Fast forward several years and a friend said he knew of a Fiero for sale and I said I wasn't interested. He said it had a 350 in it and suddenly it is a cool car again! I'm really excited about the choptop widebody hatchback.

Thanks Rob, you nailed the short version!

------------------
Asa Wilson
Outlaws Rod & Custom

outlaws

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-16-2011 08:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for outlawsClick Here to visit outlaws's HomePageSend a Private Message to outlawsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

outlaws

54 posts
Member since Feb 2010

I think I corrupted ASA last year when we had a club meeting at Outlaws - he already had a V8 Fiero, and seeing one in person probably gave him the itch he just had to scratch! His widebody hatchback is going to be awesome!

Jim

Oh yea, seeing CT#10 in person was all she wrote. I fell in love with it and my bodyman (who is 69 and thinks all cars should be Fords) told me to tighten up because that was the baddest ride he had ever seen!

I've been working late to get mine and Doug's ready for Saturday. No where close to completion but at least presentable!

Thanks Jim!

------------------
Asa Wilson
Outlaws Rod & Custom

outlaws

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-16-2011 08:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for outlawsClick Here to visit outlaws's HomePageSend a Private Message to outlawsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

outlaws

54 posts
Member since Feb 2010

Rob

Thank you! See ya Saturday!
asa

------------------
Asa Wilson
Outlaws Rod & Custom

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 7 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)