Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat
  RCR's body mods... (Page 1)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 17 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
RCR's body mods... by RCR
Started on: 06-15-2009 07:28 PM
Replies: 657 (38263 views)
Last post by: RCR on 11-17-2023 07:56 AM
RCR

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 102
Rate this member

Report this Post06-15-2009 07:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RCRSend a Private Message to RCREdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
In the line of my "dash mods" and "interior mods" threads, I'm going to go beyond my better judgement and start a body mods thread.

Let's let the pictures do the talking and I can fill in the blanks later...

Started with a Fieroaddiction hood vent:

I lked it further forward, so I had to modify it to make it functional.

I was going to just screen off the openings, but thought I'd try something different: Louvers...

Here is the mold for the louvers:

...courtesy of Home Depot

Picture of the bottom, looking front to back:

All the vents from top, front to back:

and from the back to front:

More in a second...

Bob
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
RCR

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-15-2009 07:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RCRSend a Private Message to RCREdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
As can be seen in a couple of the above shots, I'm also redoing the headlights. No more popups. I'm flushmounting them and moving them forward. I will be fabricating fiberglass light buckets to support two 60mm Hella halogen lights, and vacuum forming my own acrylic/polycarb lenses (How? don't ask yet...).

Here is the start...
Getting ideas:

Headlight covers glued in:

Card board mock-up:

Masonite buck:

Into plaster mold:

Into a fiberglass part.

Important lesson...Do not paint the mold with engine enamel...Sticks like glue, even with wax and PVA release...

Chip by chip removal of mold:

But, a molded part...rough, but good enough for now...

Bob

[This message has been edited by RCR (edited 06-15-2009).]

aeffertz

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-15-2009 07:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for aeffertzSend a Private Message to aeffertzEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Awesome.
RCR

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-15-2009 07:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RCRSend a Private Message to RCREdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
And, last but certainly not least... The mods to the hood and headlights tie directly into the bumper cover. I've never been fond of the GT nose nor the bumper pad nose and although I like the 87/88 coupe nose, it still needs mods. After looking high and low for a nose I could afford (read really cheap), I decided to try making my own. How this will ultimately end, I have no clue. But if you don't try, you'll never find out. So here is the debut...

First piece fitted. A piece of cardboard was cut to give a profile for the hood to bumper interface. The foam is the same stuff I used to make my door panel. I can glass over it without fear of it turniong to goo.

Filling in the top and giving it shape:

An idea of how low it will be with the winglets:

And filling in the front;

Some profile shots:

And the inspiration:

The Hamann Ferrari 512.

More later...
Bob

[This message has been edited by RCR (edited 06-15-2009).]

Titleist75

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-15-2009 08:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Titleist75Send a Private Message to Titleist75Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Great thread!!! This is exactly something I will be doing once I get my car appraised and safetied. Looking forward to seeing the final outcome.
exoticse

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 108
Rate this member

Report this Post06-15-2009 08:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for exoticseSend a Private Message to exoticseEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Cool project !

Keep the pictures and updates coming.
wolf63

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-15-2009 09:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for wolf63Send a Private Message to wolf63Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
WOW! i am lovin the louvers! I'll be watching this thread closely:-)
FieroFiend

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-15-2009 11:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroFiendSend a Private Message to FieroFiendEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I really like what your doing with the front bumper.

I really think the fronts that drop off quick are awesome.
ghost187x

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-16-2009 02:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ghost187xSend a Private Message to ghost187xEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
KEEP Up the GOOD WORK!!!

[This message has been edited by ghost187x (edited 06-16-2009).]

Rolling Thunder

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-16-2009 02:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Rolling ThunderSend a Private Message to Rolling ThunderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'd really like to see you build your own decklid scoop so that I know what the f I'm doing when I attempt it in the next few weeks. btw, don't steal my idea
Neolithic Shadow

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-16-2009 02:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Neolithic ShadowClick Here to visit Neolithic Shadow's HomePageSend a Private Message to Neolithic ShadowEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
very cool custom front bumper! theres been many posts about a short bumper but i think you may be the first to create one. and the fieroadiction vent looked nice before, now its awsome
PFF
System Bot
FieroFiend

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-16-2009 07:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroFiendSend a Private Message to FieroFiendEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
with those lights and that front mouth it almost looks like the rksport street fire body kit for the 96-02 sunfires from the mouth up and thats not a bad thing.
Synthesis

Feedback score:    (19)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 294
Rate this member

Report this Post06-16-2009 09:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SynthesisSend a Private Message to SynthesisEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
As good as it looks, I noticed your front impact beam is no longer on the car for the nose you are creating.... Or am I just blind?
RCR

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-16-2009 06:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RCRSend a Private Message to RCREdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Synthesis:

As good as it looks, I noticed your front impact beam is no longer on the car for the nose you are creating.... Or am I just blind?

You are correct. Once the nose is fabricated, I will either modify the existing one to fit or create a new one.

To all: thanx for the comments.

Bob

doublec4

Feedback score:    (20)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 150
Rate this member

Report this Post06-16-2009 07:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The louvered hood vents are bad ass. I would like to do something similar, just more squarish

------------------

RCR

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-16-2009 08:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RCRSend a Private Message to RCREdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by doublec4:

The louvered hood vents are bad ass. I would like to do something similar, just more squarish

Thank you...

I was originally going to do them flat, but i got the "never tried it before bug" and voila...

To make the flat pieces, I was going to sandwich the fiberglass between two sheets of glass. To make the curved pieces, I sandwiched the FG between two 5 gallon bucket halves.

Then made the basic shape out of cardboard and matched it to the blank from the mold, traced it out and cut with a Dremel tool.

The hardest part was matching the curvature for the two sides.

The louvres are glued in using the SMC panel adhesive, then blended in with short hair plastic filler.

Bob

[This message has been edited by RCR (edited 06-16-2009).]

FieroFanatic13

Feedback score:    (16)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-17-2009 08:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroFanatic13Send a Private Message to FieroFanatic13Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by RCR:

As can be seen in a couple of the above shots, I'm also redoing the headlights. No more popups. I'm flushmounting them and moving them forward. I will be fabricating fiberglass light buckets to support two 60mm Hella halogen lights, and vacuum forming my own acrylic/polycarb lenses (How? don't ask yet...).

Here is the start...
Getting ideas:

Headlight covers glued in:

Card board mock-up:

Bob

This is my biggest complaint about the flush mounts that just go in the stock opening. They always look too far back to me. This is cool.
RCR

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-17-2009 07:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RCRSend a Private Message to RCREdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by FieroFanatic13:
This is my biggest complaint about the flush mounts that just go in the stock opening. They always look too far back to me. This is cool.

Same here. This should also help alviate the dark stop in front caused by standard flushmounts.

Bob
Dash

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-18-2009 02:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DashSend a Private Message to DashEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
youre making your own bumper
holy living hell thats awesome
i want in
also
your headlights
resmble sex in car form.
i want them
HC

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-18-2009 04:30 AM Click Here to See the Profile for HCClick Here to visit HC's HomePageSend a Private Message to HCEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Project is looking good so far! Can't wait for updates!
RCR

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-18-2009 06:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RCRSend a Private Message to RCREdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Small update on the fascia.

Continued shaping. Made some profile gauges so I can match the sides. Un fortuneately I don't have a lot of room to manuveur, so it's kind of a PITA to work on.

Here are some pics:

A little blurry, but taking shape. You can see how I'm thinking the aux vents will be placed.

Filling in the extra space with the air dam and splitters - just temporary to get an idea how it will look.

Profile gauge on one side:

Versus the other side. This side still needed about a 1/2" taken off the bottom

Bob
PFF
System Bot
Jake_Dragon

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 403
Rate this member

Report this Post06-18-2009 06:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Jake_DragonSend a Private Message to Jake_DragonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Very nice, what do you have in mind for the rest of the car? I have never liked the flat sides of the Fiero. I like curves.
Tony Kania

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 305
User Banned

Report this Post06-18-2009 07:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Tony KaniaSend a Private Message to Tony KaniaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I officially hate you now. There are no great pizza's to be found in Spokane. And there you are, flaunting your Jet's Pizza box in my face. That is my favorite pie! Damn you and your pizza enjoyment. Damn you! Arrrrrghhh!

P.S. Your concept looks great.

------------------

RCR

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-18-2009 10:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RCRSend a Private Message to RCREdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Tony Kania:

I officially hate you now. There are no great pizza's to be found in Spokane. And there you are, flaunting your Jet's Pizza box in my face. That is my favorite pie! Damn you and your pizza enjoyment. Damn you! Arrrrrghhh!

P.S. Your concept looks great.

Tony, Now you know the secret of great ideas...Jet's 10 (minus olives-yuck) and BBQ chicken pizzas. What can't be seen is that the cardboard mock-ups for the lights is made from Little Cesars boxes, too.

Bob

RCR

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-18-2009 10:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RCRSend a Private Message to RCREdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

RCR

4397 posts
Member since Sep 2002
Looks a lot more like something now, but the pics are still on the camera. Tomorrow morning, I'm headed to the local salvage yard to see if I can pick up the turn signals and driving lights. Then I should be able to finalize the shape. -yeah!!

Thanx for all the comments guys. Helps keep me motivated.

Bob
RCR

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-18-2009 10:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RCRSend a Private Message to RCREdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

RCR

4397 posts
Member since Sep 2002

Originally posted by Jake_Dragon:

Very nice, what do you have in mind for the rest of the car? I have never liked the flat sides of the Fiero. I like curves.

Here's an idea I posted a while back in Amida's thread. I've always had it in the back of my mind and is the direction it's going in.

Bob
Sourmug

Feedback score:    (29)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 144
Rate this member

Report this Post06-19-2009 01:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SourmugSend a Private Message to SourmugEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You're crazier than I am!

Looks good Bob
BabyVet

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-19-2009 02:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BabyVetSend a Private Message to BabyVetEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Looks good man keep up the good work!!! can't wait to see more pic
RCR

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-19-2009 05:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RCRSend a Private Message to RCREdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Nolan...I'll take that as a compliment since you spread the disease.

Couple quick pics for today...

The lights. Turn signals of a Nissan Altima and fog lamps off a Sunfire.

And some WIP pics.

Bob

Amida

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 63
Rate this member

Report this Post06-21-2009 12:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AmidaSend a Private Message to AmidaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Masonite buck:

Into plaster mold:

Into a fiberglass part.

Important lesson...Do not paint the mold with engine enamel...Sticks like glue, even with wax and PVA release...

Chip by chip removal of mold:

But, a molded part...rough, but good enough for now...

Bob

Lookin' good there Bob.

Been there before with enamel. Heat from curing can make seemingly dry paint sticky again. Now I just use quick dry Duplicolor lacquer. Wax one time & PVA 3 times is normally enough for my work. Quick & dirty moulds are made to be destroyed in the end anyhow. My Fi40 glovebox plug was made of waxed cardboard & clay, no paint. After the mould was layed-up I just pulled the carboard plug apart.
RCR

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-21-2009 12:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RCRSend a Private Message to RCREdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Amida:

Lookin' good there Bob.

Been there before with enamel. Heat from curing can make seemingly dry paint sticky again. Now I just use quick dry Duplicolor lacquer. Wax one time & PVA 3 times is normally enough for my work. Quick & dirty moulds are made to be destroyed in the end anyhow. My Fi40 glovebox plug was made of waxed cardboard & clay, no paint. After the mould was layed-up I just pulled the carboard plug apart.

Thanx Rob. Maybe someday I'll have your mad skills. You've shown me what can be done, but you've raised the bar so high it's kind of hard to see.

bob
PFF
System Bot
RCR

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-27-2009 07:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RCRSend a Private Message to RCREdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
OK, How about an update??

It sure doesn't look like a whole lot has occurred, especially in the pics, but I've been cutting, glueing, and sanding a whole lot. I know, I know...Here are the pics. Let me know what you think.

Driverside corner didn't match the passenger side, so...

Starting to map things out a little better. Trying to match the shape of both sides.

Tough shot to take, not a lot of room. No smiley face here (at least not yet).

Speaking of room...

I wish I could have turned the car around to face tthe garage door, but it has not front suspension or wheels.

Closeup of the passenger side lower vent

RCR

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-27-2009 07:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RCRSend a Private Message to RCREdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

RCR

4397 posts
Member since Sep 2002
More pics...

Front profile

Starting the sides. I cut the front flat so everything tied together easily.

Then started building up. This time,I tied the side to the chassis (better than I did the front) to make things maore stable. I also cut up the remaining GT side to use as a guide for the wheel well and interface for the upper fender.

I used the slight bow in my straight edge to advantage to line up the front valance with the side ground effects/body line.

Filled in and sanded smooth.

Just need to trim the wheel opening and on the the other side.

Well??

Bob
kwagner

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post06-27-2009 07:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for kwagnerClick Here to visit kwagner's HomePageSend a Private Message to kwagnerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Well??

Bob

Lookin' good
Amida

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 63
Rate this member

Report this Post06-28-2009 11:30 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AmidaSend a Private Message to AmidaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Snub nose huh? Like the ".38 special". Nice to have a flat & level floor indoors. I did the Fi355 nose outdoors on a tilted & sloped driveway on rocky concrete...wore out my kneed pads real fast. One of my fav symbolic shots.

Nice two tone job.

[This message has been edited by Amida (edited 06-28-2009).]

RCR

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-28-2009 02:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RCRSend a Private Message to RCREdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'll be real happy if it comes out half as nice as yours, Rob.

Bob
proff

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 87
Rate this member

Report this Post07-08-2009 08:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for proffClick Here to visit proff's HomePageSend a Private Message to proffEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
the only way this would be allowed here would be with thousands of dollars in engineering reports.
After crash testing a proto type .
aeffertz

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-08-2009 10:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for aeffertzSend a Private Message to aeffertzEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Keep up the good work!
I really love all the work your doing. The stubby nose and the flush mounts.
*Adds to Favorites*
RCR

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-17-2009 07:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RCRSend a Private Message to RCREdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Quickie bump...Been working on it off n on the last week. I've started to layup a layer of drywall mudd. It's a PITA, but from a few feet away it looks cool. I'll post pics later...

Bob
grkboy707

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-17-2009 08:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for grkboy707Send a Private Message to grkboy707Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
very nice! are you gonna spray the fascia with fiber glass too?
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 17 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock