Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat
  After 3 years, It gonna run...and fast! (Page 1)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 3 pages long:  1   2   3 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
After 3 years, It gonna run...and fast! by MOBILE
Started on: 04-17-2009 08:31 PM
Replies: 81 (4147 views)
Last post by: Gall757 on 10-26-2015 08:09 PM
MOBILE

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-17-2009 08:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MOBILESend a Private Message to MOBILEEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
So, I pulled out my smoking(literally) series I supercharged 3 years ago, and started "nickel and dime"ing myself for the last 3 years on getting my drivetrain put together. Finally it's starting to take shape...

1. I bought a series II supercharged motor, found out a few cylinders were rusted.
2. I bought used Diamond .020" over pistons that turned out to all be junk.
3. I bought another known good block with good pistons.
4. Did extensive porting on the heads.
5. Installed a S1X cam and heavy duty timing chain.
6. I bought 3 Getrag driver side case halves trying to make a whole one.
7. Rebuilt, Cryogenically froze and heat treated the Getrag.
8. Just added the Very purdy Yella Terra 1.8 ratio roller tipped rockers below.
9. Decided with lotsa BOOST I needed head studs and Cometic MLS gaskets.

Next few weeks I will be rewiring the entire car. Not Kidding...whole electrical transformation bumper to bumper.

Here's a few pics for all the MN mafia that's gonna tease me about it not getting done for 10 more years...

It's not as crazy as a lot of guys on here, but hopefully with some headers and maybe an intercooler, it'll do allright.

Thanks!
Chad

Edited because I have lurked so long I forgot how to use the forum tools.
------------------

Member MN Fieros Forever
Self Installed SC3800/getrag. 4 years in Avionics & 14 years in Car Electronics Experience........ 19"s.. w/ 13" Brakes all around.

[This message has been edited by MOBILE (edited 04-17-2009).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Macs86GT

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-17-2009 08:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Macs86GTSend a Private Message to Macs86GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Nice looking engine, sorry to hear about the cylinder rust. I'm sure she'll move real nice.
pavo_roddy

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 71
Rate this member

Report this Post04-17-2009 08:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pavo_roddySend a Private Message to pavo_roddyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
HI all

NICE freakin color choices too! Very classy.. Did the wife/gf have anything to do with those colors? Your engine is lookin soooo fine, nice an clean, and with your attention to detail you should win at least 1 trophy.... lol....

Whilest you may not know me, where I live is only an hour east of Minne... So naturally I feel very honored in the harassment of you.......lol.......
Great job!

------------------
Me, I sell engines, the cars are for free, I need something to crate the engines in....
Enzo Ferrari....

Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines....
Enzo Ferrari...

Today they are called garage's, yesterday, they were stable's! Eric Jacobsen....

1MohrFiero

Feedback score:    (37)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 157
Rate this member

Report this Post04-18-2009 08:34 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 1MohrFieroSend a Private Message to 1MohrFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by MOBILE:

Man, that is one beautiful engine...

------------------

BazookaFiero

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-18-2009 01:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BazookaFieroSend a Private Message to BazookaFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That is one CLEEEEEEAN engine... she is gonna look real nice when she's done

------------------

"Why is he wearing his knees outside of his legs?"

BlackThunderGT

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-18-2009 01:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BlackThunderGTSend a Private Message to BlackThunderGTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Looking good...nice color choice!
mattwa

Feedback score:    (41)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 88
Rate this member

Report this Post04-18-2009 01:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mattwaSend a Private Message to mattwaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yea That IS one clean engine. The problem is that if I had that clean of an engine and put it in my car, I would never want to drive it!
Dementia

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-18-2009 07:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DementiaSend a Private Message to DementiaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Those rockers sure are pretty. I can appreciate those. How soon are you gonna be runnin? Our set ups sound very similar. I guess I wouldn't be a good forum member if I didn't ask for more pics.
MOBILE

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-18-2009 11:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MOBILESend a Private Message to MOBILEEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Dementia:

Those rockers sure are pretty. I can appreciate those. How soon are you gonna be runnin? Our set ups sound very similar. I guess I wouldn't be a good forum member if I didn't ask for more pics.

Thanks Everyone! I'm hoping to get things together by the end of May. I have everything purchased except for my bigger injectors. I should be able to swing those in a few weeks. Next is fabricating the wiring, and fuel and cooling lines. I have done about a half dozen swaps in other cars with Purple Reign since I did my own 12 years ago. I've learned a thing or two from those! I stuck with a mild cam for drivability, yet did the ratio rockers to let it breathe a little more. A friend of my just cut out more cracked sections of the cradle where the tranny mounts bolt up. We reinforced the heck out of it, and had it powder coated.

I tore the interior all back out to redo the main power wiring. There is a splice under the dash where the one 10ga red wire feeds 10 others. I cut them all apart and add a maxi-fuse block up under the front hood next to the battery. This way everything has much larger wire, and is all fused individually like a newer car. Then I need to run a new complete circuit for the fuel pump and run larger gauge wire into the tank. So I have my work cut out for me...

Hopefully I can snap a few more pics this week. Those last ones were with my phone, so the quality is fairly crappy.

Thanks again,

Chad

------------------

Member MN Fieros Forever
Self Installed SC3800/getrag. 4 years in Avionics & 14 years in Car Electronics Experience........ 19"s.. w/ 13" Brakes all around.

MOBILE

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-30-2009 06:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MOBILESend a Private Message to MOBILEEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Well guys, it isn't running yet, however it's my own fault. I keep buying more crap!! Here are some more pics... As you can see, my Blower suddenly got 2" taller, and turned into a Gen n V It now has an 8 rib belt conversion, N* throttle body and an 85mm MAF. I guess it's never ending! I just need a couple of odd Getrag parts and I'll mount it all up. Anyone have a broke Getrag for parts??

Slow but sure...

Thanks,
Chad

------------------

Member MN Fieros Forever

MOBILE

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-02-2009 08:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MOBILESend a Private Message to MOBILEEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
O.K. I was able to buy all the Getrag parts I needed from Ed Parks at the Fiero Factory. They were very helpful and had all I needed. Looks like it will be on the cradle next weekend. Do I dare jinks myself and say it will be ready for the MN show next year??

------------------

Member MN Fieros Forever

PFF
System Bot
MOBILE

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-07-2009 08:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MOBILESend a Private Message to MOBILEEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
O.K., for all the Minnesota Nay-Sayers, The engine is actually IN the car. Yes it's still in Long Block form, however the cradle is installed. Looks like the MN show will be possible for the first time in 4 years this spring... AND the Frazee show! That town could use a little more yellow

------------------

Self Installed Intercooled SC3800 II/III w/getrag. 19's with 13" Brakes on all 4 corners. 4 years in Avionics & 14 years in Car Electronics Experience.

fierogtman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-07-2009 10:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierogtmanSend a Private Message to fierogtmanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
keep us updated!
Racingman24

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 103
Rate this member

Report this Post12-07-2009 10:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Racingman24Click Here to visit Racingman24's HomePageSend a Private Message to Racingman24Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

O.K., for all the Minnesota Nay-Sayers, The engine is actually IN the car. Yes it's still in Long Block form, however the cradle is installed. Looks like the MN show will be possible for the first time in 4 years this spring... AND the Frazee show! That town could use a little more yellow

I call Chad.

We demand pics!!!!!!!!!

Khw

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 134
Rate this member

Report this Post12-07-2009 10:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KhwSend a Private Message to KhwEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That is one clean looking engine. Bet it looks good in the engine bay to!
justa6

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 61
Rate this member

Report this Post12-07-2009 10:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for justa6Send a Private Message to justa6Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

i drove by the shop today, maybe i should stop in tommorrow and get a couple pics. i dont beleive you!

------------------

My Photography 2009 Calendars now available! PM me
My Designs
My Videos
87 Fiero GT 5-speed.
98 Golf K2 5-speed 2.0
Minivan Drivers; they're good for fertilizer. Thats all.

Australian

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-08-2009 04:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AustralianClick Here to visit Australian's HomePageSend a Private Message to AustralianEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I love the color gives a clean bare metal look.
darkhorizon

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 451
Rate this member

Report this Post12-09-2009 06:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for darkhorizonSend a Private Message to darkhorizonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Are those rockers bolted down? There is a nasty habit of roller tip rockers to not sit straight and centered over the valve.

I have those same 1.8 rockers... Not a huge fan of the lift they give (I would make alot more power with stock rockers), but they do look cool. I bought them thinking they would make power, but they didnt.. Only reason they are still on is because they help stretch my valve float on my stock valvesprings out to 5600rpms.
Mr.PBody

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 101
Rate this member

Report this Post12-09-2009 12:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Mr.PBodyClick Here to visit Mr.PBody's HomePageSend a Private Message to Mr.PBodyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
2 inch intercooler is going to mean some hood hacking is in order.

Are you running different valve springs?

Got pics and info on the 8 rib conversion? I'm an L67 guy too, I've never actually seen a car with it.

It's certainly pretty.
IVANNATINKLE

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-09-2009 12:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IVANNATINKLESend a Private Message to IVANNATINKLEEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
looks great! still have thhe junk pistons? and why were they junk?
kevin

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-09-2009 01:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for kevinSend a Private Message to kevinEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Beautiful engine By the way, what type of paint did you use? I like the way it looks.

Cordially,
Kevin
PFF
System Bot
MOBILE

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-25-2009 10:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MOBILESend a Private Message to MOBILEEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by darkhorizon:

Are those rockers bolted down? There is a nasty habit of roller tip rockers to not sit straight and centered over the valve.

I have those same 1.8 rockers... Not a huge fan of the lift they give (I would make alot more power with stock rockers), but they do look cool. I bought them thinking they would make power, but they didnt.. Only reason they are still on is because they help stretch my valve float on my stock valvesprings out to 5600rpms.

Yep, they are bolted down. I called the guy who did the headwork about it a few weeks before you posted. I plan on fixing that before I start it up. I too was hoping for power. I am only doing the S1X, to keep it streetable, and more of a sleeper than a real high lift cam. I figured the rockers would help it breathe with the ported heads and all. It might not help, hopefully it doesn't hurt to much...

------------------

Self Installed Intercooled SC3800 II/III w/getrag. 19's with 13" Brakes on all 4 corners. 4 years in Avionics & 14 years in Car Electronics Experience.

MOBILE

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-25-2009 10:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MOBILESend a Private Message to MOBILEEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

MOBILE

768 posts
Member since May 2002

Originally posted by Mr.PBody:

2 inch intercooler is going to mean some hood hacking is in order.

Are you running different valve springs?

Got pics and info on the 8 rib conversion? I'm an L67 guy too, I've never actually seen a car with it.

It's certainly pretty.

Definately going to cut and glass the decklid back in. These are the 130lb springs from Crow Cams. I'll get some pics of the 8 rib probably this week.

------------------

Jncomutt

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 221
Rate this member

Report this Post12-25-2009 10:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JncomuttSend a Private Message to JncomuttEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That thing is going to move really well! Hopefully the trans holds up for ya..
MOBILE

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-25-2009 10:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MOBILESend a Private Message to MOBILEEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by IVANNATINKLE:

looks great! still have thhe junk pistons? and why were they junk?

Still have them. They had some scraping on the sides of a couple of them. It's very minor, but I didn't like it. Someone might be able to dress it out, or decide it's not that big of a deal. I'm not an engine builder, so I wasn't sure...

Anyone wants them or pics let me know.

------------------

MOBILE

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-25-2009 10:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MOBILESend a Private Message to MOBILEEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

MOBILE

768 posts
Member since May 2002

Originally posted by kevin:

Beautiful engine By the way, what type of paint did you use? I like the way it looks.

Cordially,
Kevin

You won't believe it, but it is 500 degree rattle can engine paint, primer, color, and clear. I think it was by duplicolor.

------------------

hammer18

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-26-2009 11:43 AM Click Here to See the Profile for hammer18Send a Private Message to hammer18Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
wow that looks sweet. awsome job.

Tyler
hammer18

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-03-2010 10:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for hammer18Send a Private Message to hammer18Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
where did you have your trans cryo'ed at?

Tyler

MOBILE

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-04-2010 08:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MOBILESend a Private Message to MOBILEEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by hammer18:

where did you have your trans cryo'ed at?

Tyler

I used a company here in the Twin Cities called Diversified Cryogenics, also known as Frozen Rotors. They to everything from brakes, to drill bits, to gun barrels. They cryo freeze and then heat treat everything. Don't know if it's going to help yet, but it can't hurt.

I did a fair amount of research, and was told by many to stay away from a place called 300below out of Chicago.

------------------

hammer18

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-04-2010 08:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hammer18Send a Private Message to hammer18Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
nice sounds good. thats good to know about 300below to. i called arrow cryogenics today there in blain and all they did was put meon hold? but ill have to check out Diversified Cryogenics.

Thanks
tyler
IVANNATINKLE

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-05-2010 03:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IVANNATINKLESend a Private Message to IVANNATINKLEEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Sweet can't wait to see hp nubers or track times
PFF
System Bot
MinnGreenGT

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 274
Rate this member

Report this Post01-05-2010 03:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MinnGreenGTClick Here to visit MinnGreenGT's HomePageSend a Private Message to MinnGreenGTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Chad ~ I had to laugh when I noticed the date on your first few posts. April? Ready by May?

It's looking great.. and I'm sure it'll look great once it hits the ground running again!

------------------

Looking for Fiero posters?

MOBILE

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-06-2010 12:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MOBILESend a Private Message to MOBILEEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by MinnGreenGT:

Chad ~ I had to laugh when I noticed the date on your first few posts. April? Ready by May?

It's looking great.. and I'm sure it'll look great once it hits the ground running again!

Ya, Ya, I know... I bought a new aluminum slave cylinder from Rodney a few days ago, and a fuel pump tomorrow. Every day I find more stuff to replace.

The cradle is actually back in the car, and you all know I have a very slow mechanic building me some crazy headers and custom exhaust!!

------------------

IVANNATINKLE

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-06-2010 02:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for IVANNATINKLESend a Private Message to IVANNATINKLEEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Pm sent on pistons
MOBILE

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-08-2010 11:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MOBILESend a Private Message to MOBILEEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by darkhorizon:

I noticed that the rockers were crooked too, so I called Yella Terra and it seems that the engine builder may have put the rocker alignment plates on upside down... I will hopefully check this out this week.

------------------

Intercooled SC3800 II/III mated to a Getrag. 19's with 13" Brakes on all 4 corners. 5 years in Avionics & 15 years in Car Electronics Experience.

PURPLE REIGN

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 303
Rate this member

Report this Post03-09-2010 02:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PURPLE REIGNSend a Private Message to PURPLE REIGNEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
BWWWWAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHAAAAAAA !!!!!!!!! AAAAAAAHHHHHHHHH HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA !!!!!!!!!

OMG !!!!! You seriously posted this ????? That was a YEAR ago and nothing has changed !!! LOL ...RUN ???? What DECADE ????? this this has been on one of my shop lifts for 4 years and through a move & STILL hasn't changed !!!!! it'll crumble off the lift in rust before it runs LOL !!!!!!!!1
Synthesis

Feedback score:    (19)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 294
Rate this member

Report this Post03-09-2010 02:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SynthesisSend a Private Message to SynthesisEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by PURPLE REIGN:

BWWWWAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHAAAAAAA !!!!!!!!! AAAAAAAHHHHHHHHH HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA !!!!!!!!!

OMG !!!!! You seriously posted this ????? That was a YEAR ago and nothing has changed !!! LOL ...RUN ???? What DECADE ????? this this has been on one of my shop lifts for 4 years and through a move & STILL hasn't changed !!!!! it'll crumble off the lift in rust before it runs LOL !!!!!!!!1

Hell, slap a new timing chain in that old 2.8 I left there, and bolt it in. It could run within 24 hours..

[This message has been edited by Synthesis (edited 03-09-2010).]

carbon

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 132
Rate this member

Report this Post03-09-2010 03:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for carbonSend a Private Message to carbonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Hey Chad, remind us again how many engines that you have blown up vs. 'killer' there? Something to be said for slow and sure...
MOBILE

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-10-2010 02:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MOBILESend a Private Message to MOBILEEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Ummm....Are the headers Done?? You're going to have to be a lot nicer than this if you want to use the HPTuners that I'm buying this week...

------------------

Intercooled SC3800 II/III mated to a Getrag. 19's with 13" Brakes on all 4 corners. 5 years in Avionics & 15 years in Car Electronics Experience.

PURPLE REIGN

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 303
Rate this member

Report this Post03-10-2010 01:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PURPLE REIGNSend a Private Message to PURPLE REIGNEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by carbon:

Hey Chad, remind us again how many engines that you have blown up vs. 'killer' there? Something to be said for slow and sure...

Ah.... he's blown two, smarta$$. Kinda hard to blow an engine when the freakin car isn't on the road for 5 years !!!!!!!!

Ummm....Are the headers Done?? You're going to have to be a lot nicer than this if you want to use the HPTuners that I'm buying this week...

What do i need that for ???? All i have to do is get Adam to pull the bin-file after a few pulls on the street, send it to Brian at Intense & he can change the file as need be & send it back
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 3 pages long:  1   2   3 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock