Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat
  Rich Warber’s Purple Pavement Eater story (Page 2)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 4 pages long:  1   2   3   4 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
Rich Warber’s Purple Pavement Eater story by newin55
Started on: 03-15-2009 03:26 PM
Replies: 139 (11681 views)
Last post by: Spadesluck on 04-30-2020 10:41 PM
newin55

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-10-2009 05:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for newin55Send a Private Message to newin55Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Here is a picture of Dave the day I took posession of the car:

He had fixed the oil leak.
He brought all the extra parts and all his receipts for me.

[This message has been edited by newin55 (edited 10-04-2015).]

IP: Logged
newin55

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-10-2009 11:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for newin55Send a Private Message to newin55Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

newin55

135 posts
Member since Sep 2008
I have owned the car for almost 9 months. I have spent my time doing repairs and fussing with details. A couple of days ago I installed custom park brake cables since the stock cables didn't fit the Corvette brakes. The car gets better a little at a time. I plan to continue to improve the car but am not planning any major projects at this time.

I have enjoyed taking it to shows and events. Of course it is fun to drive. I don't abuse the car or drive fast. However, when I need to pass someone I don't waste any time in the passing lane!

I have enjoyed researching the history of the Purple Pavement Eater. I am grateful to Mrs. Warber for the information she has provided as well as Cliff Pennock for providing the place to gather. Thanks to all those who have posted comments, opinions and information in this thread and elsewhere. Sharing what I have learned through this thread has opened the door to more learning.

----Alan----

Synthesis

Feedback score:    (19)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 294
Rate this member

Report this Post04-10-2009 11:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SynthesisSend a Private Message to SynthesisEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Alan. You are a great person for learning all you can about the car you now own, and it's very proud heritage.

Too many people see these cars as nothing more than a means to an end, and they do not take the time to learn the history of the Fiero in general.

Thank you for giving it a good home. May it bring you many years of joy.

[This message has been edited by Synthesis (edited 04-11-2009).]

Archie

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 546
Rate this member

Report this Post04-11-2009 12:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ArchieClick Here to visit Archie's HomePageSend a Private Message to ArchieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Synthesis:

Alan. You are a great person for learning all you can about the car you now own, and it's very proud heritage.

Too many people see these cars as nothing more than a means to an end, and they do not take the time to learn the history of the Fiero in general.

Thank you for giving it a good home. May it bring you many years of joy.

^^ I'm with him ^^
newin55

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-11-2009 11:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for newin55Send a Private Message to newin55Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thank you, thank you.

Here are some additional links:

A Tribute To Our Fellow Member and Friend, Rich Warber
http://www.fierofocus.com/a...%20Rich%20Warber.htm

FIERO "SPEED RACER"
http://www.fierofocus.com/a...eature%20reprint.htm

Purple Pavement Eater pictures
http://www.fierocountry.us/ppe.html
LT188GT

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 100
Rate this member

Report this Post04-17-2009 09:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for LT188GTSend a Private Message to LT188GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Is this the end?
newin55

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-17-2009 11:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for newin55Send a Private Message to newin55Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by LT188GT:

Is this the end?

It is for now unless anyone else has something to add.

I will post updates as significant events occur.
LT188GT

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 100
Rate this member

Report this Post04-18-2009 03:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LT188GTSend a Private Message to LT188GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It was great reading the story on your car. Back in December of 2002, I made a visit to Archie who at that time was installing my LT1. The PPE was at his shop and I got a first hand look at that car. Being that I am from Miami and my visit was in the winter, I only looked at the car for a short time. With the cold wind and some white looking stuff on the ground, I finally made it back inside to attend to my car. As dirty and snow covered that the PPE was it was still a great looking ride.
Falcon Fiero

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 67
Rate this member

Report this Post04-18-2009 05:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Falcon FieroSend a Private Message to Falcon FieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
What happened to the rims Rich put on it? It would be nice to see those back on it!
newin55

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-18-2009 06:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for newin55Send a Private Message to newin55Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Dave told me he didn't like those wheels so he had Archie take them off before he bought the car.
jscott1

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 415
Rate this member

Report this Post04-18-2009 07:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by newin55:

I have owned the car for almost 9 months.

Congratulations for owning such a cool car and thanks for doing the research and telling the story.

I hope to see it someday...

For the chop top aficionados, this is the only car to be both on the homebrewed and Archie chop top lists!
PFF
System Bot
Jay-ID

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-15-2009 11:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Jay-IDSend a Private Message to Jay-IDEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Alan,

I saw you driving the PPE last Thursday afternoon turning onto the Corvallis-Lebanon hwy from Philomath Blvd. I was the slack-jawed guy in the blue Silverado suffering from shock due to seeing one of my top 3 favorite Fieros in person. Those in the car with me then had to suffer with me raving about your car, describing the stats/mods that I could remember and trying to convince them of the importance of this sighting!

I had read this thread before but had forgotten that the PPE was in Oregon. It looks stunning. The sound as you accelerated was quite nice as well. Thanks for adding some excitement to a long drive from Boise to Newport.

Jay
aaronkoch

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-15-2009 12:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for aaronkochSend a Private Message to aaronkochEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Please, and I mean PLEASE bring that to the Northwest Fiero Fest in the Tri-Cities this August!

http://www.nwfierofest.com
fourpoint9

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-15-2009 06:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fourpoint9Click Here to visit fourpoint9's HomePageSend a Private Message to fourpoint9Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by aaronkoch:

Please, and I mean PLEASE bring that to the Northwest Fiero Fest in the Tri-Cities this August!

2nd the motion
exoticse

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 108
Rate this member

Report this Post07-16-2009 10:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for exoticseSend a Private Message to exoticseEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

More pics please !

I can never get tired of looking at this car.
newin55

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-02-2009 12:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for newin55Send a Private Message to newin55Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Jay-ID:

Alan,

I saw you driving the PPE last Thursday afternoon turning onto the Corvallis-Lebanon hwy from Philomath Blvd. I was the slack-jawed guy in the blue Silverado suffering from shock due to seeing one of my top 3 favorite Fieros in person. Those in the car with me then had to suffer with me raving about your car, describing the stats/mods that I could remember and trying to convince them of the importance of this sighting!

I had read this thread before but had forgotten that the PPE was in Oregon. It looks stunning. The sound as you accelerated was quite nice as well. Thanks for adding some excitement to a long drive from Boise to Newport.

Jay

Jay,
It never occurred to me that someone other than my acquaintances would recognize the PPE as I drive it locally. Your sighting was a one in a million chance because I don't drive it very much. I was on my way to the Thursday cruise-in in Shedd, OR.. I only go every 3-4 weeks. I am glad you got to see it. Too bad we didn't get to chat.
Alan
newin55

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-02-2009 12:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for newin55Send a Private Message to newin55Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

newin55

135 posts
Member since Sep 2008

Originally posted by aaronkoch:

I had every intention of attending, but...it was announced they are permanently closing the factory where I work and everyone would be laid off. I couldn't justify the trip. I have been spending more time looking at Monster than PFF! Now that I am out of the job-loss panic mode and calmed down a bit I may check into it. I would really love to show the car to the NW Fiero community!
Tony Kania

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 305
User Banned

Report this Post08-02-2009 12:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Tony KaniaSend a Private Message to Tony KaniaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I too would love it if you were to bring the PPE to the show on August 8th. I know that just about everybody would love to see that car.

Tony
newin55

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-05-2009 12:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for newin55Send a Private Message to newin55Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by exoticse:
More pics please !

I can never get tired of looking at this car.

Here is a picture from last Sunday's show in Toledo, Oregon.

newin55

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-05-2009 12:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for newin55Send a Private Message to newin55Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

newin55

135 posts
Member since Sep 2008

Originally posted by Tony Kania:

I too would love it if you were to bring the PPE to the show on August 8th. I know that just about everybody would love to see that car.

Tony

I wish I could make it there but it just isn't going to happen this year. I will do my best to get it there in 2010. It should have glass side windows by then!
pontiackid86

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 344
Rate this member

Report this Post08-05-2009 12:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for pontiackid86Send a Private Message to pontiackid86Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have to admit it. I am on the dark side of the fastbacks but the notchie fasty hybrid is freekin sexy
PFF
System Bot
newin55

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-30-2009 09:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for newin55Send a Private Message to newin55Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The Purple Pavement Eater now has real DOT glass side windows. It previously had acrylic or polycarbonate side windows which had scuff marks. How did I manage to acquire custom glass that fit my chop top? Easy, I ordered it through Archie.

Archie and Rodney Booth worked together to develop the windows. They posted in the Mall section of Pennocks and got enough people to commit to buying them to make it worth running a batch. Enough people believed and were willing to take the risk to make it all happen. Archie also did the leg work and took care of the logistics. In the end 19 sets were produced. I feel extremely fortunate to have a set. At this point they are irreplaceable. It is incredible what talented individuals with vision and drive can do. A big thanks to all who made this happen.

[This message has been edited by newin55 (edited 10-06-2015).]

katatak

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 82
Rate this member

Report this Post11-30-2009 10:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for katatakSend a Private Message to katatakEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
And the PPE legend grows! Each owner since Rich has continually loved and cared for the car and make the subtle changes that would most likely make Rich proud. Hat's off to you Alan for keeping it going.

Pat
Archie

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 546
Rate this member

Report this Post12-01-2009 11:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ArchieClick Here to visit Archie's HomePageSend a Private Message to ArchieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by katatak:

And the PPE legend grows! Each owner since Rich has continually loved and cared for the car and make the subtle changes that would most likely make Rich proud. Hat's off to you Alan for keeping it going.

Pat

I couldn't have said it better myself.

When I saw the pic newin55 posted above & in the window thread, all I could think of was I'd bet Rich would be happy & I wish newin55 would post some more new pics of the PPE.

Archie
newin55

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-09-2009 11:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for newin55Send a Private Message to newin55Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Wish granted. Here are some pictures I took Sunday. Windows are up!

skuzzbomer

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 92
Rate this member

Report this Post12-10-2009 12:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for skuzzbomerSend a Private Message to skuzzbomerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That thing is beyond gorgeous...
newin55

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-10-2009 10:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for newin55Send a Private Message to newin55Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks.
Here is another view.

SMTHGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-25-2010 10:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SMTHGTSend a Private Message to SMTHGTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
This is one reason I love doing research.... I found this thread... You know, I feel Rich would be very very pround how his creation has turned out. Thank you for this thread.

------------------
SMTHGT.....
Steve
Aka. "SmoothGT"
1987 GT 4.9L~V8~4T60E
(Un.Su.)

ManMadeChickens

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-25-2010 09:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ManMadeChickensSend a Private Message to ManMadeChickensEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Good to see another local here on the board! This car is really something special, and you've obviously taken quite a bit of time and effort in enjoying it, and keeping it true to it's history. I've seen a few numbers of Fieros around Corvallis and Philomath, but haven't spotted the PPE out and about yet.
Carcenomy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-26-2010 05:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for CarcenomyClick Here to visit Carcenomy's HomePageSend a Private Message to CarcenomyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I remember seeing the PPE on Archie's site years ago, and thinking it was one of the most awesome cars I'd ever seen. It's the little details that are particularly excellent, like the subtle ducktail spoiler on the trailing edge of the roofline... gorgeous!

Thanks for sharing the whole story of the car, that's a Fiero with a mammoth history and one which deserves a loving and careful owner who appreciates its true value. Hats off to you, good sir.

------------------

newin55

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-05-2010 09:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for newin55Send a Private Message to newin55Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by SMTHGT:

Thank you for this thread.

You are welcome! I am glad you enjoyed it.

Originally posted by ManMadeChickens:

I've seen a few numbers of Fieros around Corvallis and Philomath, but haven't spotted the PPE out and about yet.

I will drop you a PM when I take it to a show or cruise-in.

Originally posted by Carcenomy:

It's the little details that are particularly excellent, like the subtle ducktail spoiler on the trailing edge of the roofline... gorgeous!

I believe I read somewhere that was Archie's idea and Rich ran with it. The two of them had great collaboration. It is laser straight.

Thanks to all above for the positive posts!
PFF
System Bot
newin55

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-20-2010 09:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for newin55Send a Private Message to newin55Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I took the PPE for a drive last weekend to the Northwest Fiero Festival. I had a great time. I met a lot of great people and saw a lot of fantastic Fieros!

Thanks, Katey, for this great picture of the PPE scooting down the road!

My car took the People's Choice award. It also tied for 3rd place in the Super Modified class. Thanks for the votes, folks. I gave my vote to Dogcreek's "Porvette". Awesome car, Jeff. Thanks for suggesting and taking this picture, Mick.

Congratulations to the individuals noted in this thread who's hard work and imagination went into the creation of this car! Rich's dream lives.

Daredevil05

Feedback score:    (25)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-20-2010 09:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Daredevil05Send a Private Message to Daredevil05Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I love this car and I was going to create my own version of it but the longer I looked at both rear clips the sooner I realized that it wasn't going to be easy. Trying to figure out where to make the cuts was givin me a headache. I might get back to the project again now that I have two notchback and fastback clips.

You sent me a coiple pics of your car but my computer crashed and lost everything. So if you ever get a chance please send me many pics, close up pics. Just pm me the pics or I can send you my email. I would like to have close up pics of the top lip that curls up on top of the rear window. I need as many pics as possible. I used to repair boats and one of the tricks was to wet the boat and you could see the areas that were repaired. That might help me out in figuring out what areas were grafted. If you don't mind.

Please!
Dave
Tony Kania

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 305
User Banned

Report this Post08-20-2010 09:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Tony KaniaSend a Private Message to Tony KaniaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
A few more....

Sorry that I did not get a chance to meet you, while only several feet away, but you know how it goes. Excellent car, and better owner.

Dogcreek

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-20-2010 10:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DogcreekSend a Private Message to DogcreekEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hi Alan!!! Wow this is a great thread to add to the stuff I learned about your awesome car!!! And I will tell everyone here.... That is one he11 of a car... I told my wife as we were pulling into the FieroFest hotel... OMG.... Look there... That is the "Purple Pavement Eater." She just said WOW!!!...

Folks, this car couldn't have gone to a nicer home or a better keeper of her legacy!

Great to meet you Alan! Let's do it again next year!!!

Jeff (Porvett)

------------------

thedrue

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-20-2010 11:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for thedrueSend a Private Message to thedrueEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Alan, it was an absolute pleasure to meet you at Fiero Fest. That car is also one of my all time favorites, such amazing work. I just read the whole history and it looks like you are really doing all you can to keep the car true to the creator but still improving it. I am very impressed, if I had to sell my car that is exactly what I would want. The car could not have gone to a better owner!

Till next time, keep up the good work Alan.

Damian (Kateys boyfriend)

I definitely think the car looks even more stunning on the roll than sitting!

[This message has been edited by thedrue (edited 08-21-2010).]

Fieroking

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 78
Rate this member

Report this Post08-21-2010 01:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FierokingClick Here to visit Fieroking's HomePageSend a Private Message to FierokingEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Alan
It was great to see your beautiful Fiero at the Northwest Fiero Fest. Keep up the great work and looking forward to seeing you at next years NWF.

Joe Sokol

------------------
85 SE Daily driver with a 3.4 DOHC OBD II
88 Formula/GT 4.9 Allante Intake (My Baby)

sricka01

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-21-2010 01:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for sricka01Send a Private Message to sricka01Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Alan,

Here are some shots I took of your car at FieroFest. Enjoy.

Capt Fiero

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 260
Rate this member

Report this Post08-21-2010 02:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Capt FieroClick Here to visit Capt Fiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to Capt FieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Here are the pics I took the day you drove up to meet FieroChick and I in Oregon at Fry's I have video of the car as well, if I can find it and remember too, I'll post up the videos of it running and you driving it around the parking lot. I do want to thank you for bringing my Dream Fiero up to visit. I am slowly getting my copy of that car built. I am going to turn my 87GT V8 into a Notchback then maybe chop it.

------------------
85GT Soon to be 87GT,93 Eldorado 4.9, 5spd Dual O2 Custom Chip, Custom Exhaust. MSD Everything Capt Fiero --- My Over View Cadero Pics Yellow 88GT 5spd Full Poly Suspension, Lowered 1/2" in front, Corner Carver.

Capt Fiero

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 260
Rate this member

Report this Post08-21-2010 03:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Capt FieroClick Here to visit Capt Fiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to Capt FieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Capt Fiero

7657 posts
Member since Feb 2000
Well I could not find the driving Video, maybe I don't have it anymore. However here is the video of it running, man it sounds goodl.

http://captfiero.com/videos...Fiero/pperunning.wmv

P.S. Tons of other Fiero videos at http://www.captfiero.com/viideos

------------------
85GT Soon to be 87GT,93 Eldorado 4.9, 5spd Dual O2 Custom Chip, Custom Exhaust. MSD Everything Capt Fiero --- My Over View Cadero Pics Yellow 88GT 5spd Full Poly Suspension, Lowered 1/2" in front, Corner Carver.

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 4 pages long:  1   2   3   4 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock