Had an extra caliper rebuild kit/piston seal. Wire wheeled the piston and repacked the slider. Good for a temporary fix. New piston, rebuild kit, brakes, slider seals & rotors on the way. Rebuilt this over a year ago, but looks like I pinched the piston seal. Oooops.
Installed new sunroof hardware from the Fiero Store. Also installed new ABS headliner and sunvisors from the Fiero Store. Replaced the 3rd brake light while I was in there. Accomplished some troubleshooting in the horrendous electrical mess that is the front of my Fiero, but I got one headlight working 100% and the other goes down now but won't pop back up still - need to work more on that. Got the radiator fan to work so long as the A/C is running - that's also on the short list for the weekend along with the A/C blower. I'm on a business trip the whole week, so I won't get to do squat till Saturday.
I pulled the speedo cluster out to reinstall the tach needle that decided to fall off yesterday. While I was in there, I also re-wired the coolant temp gauge so it doesn't spike when you start the car (I got tired of whacking the dash to drop the needle back down).
No haters for the no cat install. Ohio has no emissions requirements for cars over 25 years of age. I look at it this way; my 1930 Ford Model A had no emissions, my 1965 Impala had no emissions. When I owned these vehicles no one gave me crap about them not having cats. Those who say it is too loud and you are going to get a ticket, or that it strongly smells of fuel, or you have no power/ back pressure, have never had or drove a catless Fiero.
[This message has been edited by Robertzep2 (edited 05-11-2014).]
Should have done that long ago - I really got tired of looking at the broken lens sitting there at a weird angle!
More substantive work: I recovered my headliner with new fabric, installed new 4x6 rear speakers, installed fresh recovered sunvisors and replaced both rear calipers with new. Car stops better than it ever has!
Drove my 5-spd '88 Formula for the first time at an autocross event (after using my 5-spd '84 duke for the last four years). I like the increase in power, but the soft suspension needs some tweaking. Lots of fun though.
Got all brake parts in except for the AC Delco rotors, (due in Wednesday). New piston was just a bit too wide. Had to polish and reuse the old one. The pins on the new brake hardware were too short. I made some new ones from 1/4" carriage bolts. At least rebuilt the sliders and new brake pads. Never had a problem with Rock Auto before, but this one was a 50% bust.
Well I replaced the crank seal and balancer today on my v8 86. I sure hope it seals. The crank seal was almost a slip fit in the timing cover. I lubed it up with some rtv and put it together. I guess if it starts leaking again I will have to replace the timing cover with a better unit.
[This message has been edited by Snapperhead (edited 05-18-2014).]