Started on: 03-21-2006 02:45 AM
Replies: 217 (51054 views)
Last post by: Will on 08-17-2020 05:39 PM
Joe Torma

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 129
Rate this member

Report this Post03-21-2006 02:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Joe TormaClick Here to visit Joe Torma's HomePageSend a Private Message to Joe TormaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
In trying to visualize and figure out what offest wheels to buy, I decided to draw a diagram to help me.
(new)This does take into account the actual lip thickness or the face of the wheel. The white "wings" are approxamately the thickness of most aluminum wheel flanges.(Note they probably vary from wheel to wheel so go by the inner lip)

I think I read some of the stock wheels are 7"/30mm.

I hope it helps

If you'd like a width/offset added here, let me know.

Here are what tire sizes may look like on wheels:

Sidewall height is next to the series...multiply by 2 and add the wheel diameter for overall height.

[This message has been edited by Joe Torma (edited 01-31-2015).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
RCR

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 102
Rate this member

Report this Post03-21-2006 07:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RCRSend a Private Message to RCREdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Cool idea, Joe. Have a plus....I'm bookmarking this one for future reference.

Bob
Edit: I have a later copy of the version Joe posted....I'll post it here unless he wants it down...

[This message has been edited by RCR (edited 06-22-2013).]

Joe Torma

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-21-2006 07:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Joe TormaClick Here to visit Joe Torma's HomePageSend a Private Message to Joe TormaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Added some more...Geez, I wonder what happens to the bearings when you make some drastic changes in width/offset.
Steven Snyder

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 106
Rate this member

Report this Post03-22-2006 03:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Steven SnyderClick Here to visit Steven Snyder's HomePageSend a Private Message to Steven SnyderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Awesome! Can you add 7" wide 55mm offset?

Also, how much thicker are the Corvette rotors compared to the 88 Fiero ones?

[This message has been edited by Steven Snyder (edited 03-22-2006).]

Joe Torma

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-22-2006 09:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Joe TormaClick Here to visit Joe Torma's HomePageSend a Private Message to Joe TormaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Sure can...corvette rotors are maybe +8mm to the stock 84-87hub, I don't know waht it adds to 88s.
I'll measure and post a little later.

[This message has been edited by Joe Torma (edited 03-22-2006).]

Formula

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 96
Rate this member

Report this Post03-22-2006 09:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FormulaSend a Private Message to FormulaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
this will come in handy! how about 7/35 ? That seems like a common one I see around.

also, added a + for your effort

[This message has been edited by Formula (edited 03-22-2006).]

Joe Torma

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-22-2006 12:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Joe TormaClick Here to visit Joe Torma's HomePageSend a Private Message to Joe TormaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Updated
Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post03-22-2006 12:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Awesome! You are the man.

How about a 7/40 (very common with Konig wheels) and a 7/48 and a 7/50 (common Subaru offsets, which also happens to fit our bolt circle. )

Originally posted by Joe Torma:

Ask and you shall receive

Thank you sir!

I edited this post to say thanks instead of adding another post. I have asked Cliff to make this a "sticky".
It's one of the most useful topics I've seen in a while.

[This message has been edited by Raydar (edited 03-22-2006).]

Joe Torma

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-22-2006 12:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Joe TormaClick Here to visit Joe Torma's HomePageSend a Private Message to Joe TormaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Ask and you shall receive
Tom Slick

Feedback score:    (24)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 66
Rate this member

Report this Post03-22-2006 12:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Tom SlickSend a Private Message to Tom SlickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
i have a question (maybe stupid), what does blue lines represent?
the lip of the front and rear fenders.

thanks...

JamesCurtis

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 64
Rate this member

Report this Post03-22-2006 01:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JamesCurtisSend a Private Message to JamesCurtisEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
How about 8.5 / 48, I'm lovin the diagram

I'd like 18x8.5 /48mm, but it looks like it'll need quite a bit of clearance inside the wheel, any chance it'd need too much with a 255/35/18 tire?

------------------

[This message has been edited by JamesCurtis (edited 03-22-2006).]

PFF
System Bot
techman2

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-22-2006 01:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for techman2Send a Private Message to techman2Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I was told that 6-35mm was stock for the 85-87, is this correct. What years was 7-30 stock (the one you have in yellow).
Joe Torma

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-22-2006 01:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Joe TormaClick Here to visit Joe Torma's HomePageSend a Private Message to Joe TormaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Added!
Blue lines represent faces of stock wheels.

What I'd like to do is make printable profiles for wheels & tires combos that you could put right up to the hub...but not too many people have 50" printers like I do.

Joe Torma

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-22-2006 01:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Joe TormaClick Here to visit Joe Torma's HomePageSend a Private Message to Joe TormaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Joe Torma

3485 posts
Member since Jul 2001

Originally posted by techman2:

I was told that 6-35mm was stock for the 85-87, is this correct. What years was 7-30 stock (the one you have in yellow).

No idea....saw it in a recent thread if it's wrong I'll certainly fix.
Can anyone confirm the stock offsets

[This message has been edited by Joe Torma (edited 03-22-2006).]

KEV

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 82
Rate this member

Report this Post03-22-2006 02:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KEVSend a Private Message to KEVEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
http://home.xnet.com/~paulv/techtips.htm#Wheels

try this link it has the offsets for the factory wheels..

------------------

2004 Pontiac Cosmos Purple GTO 1 of 334
1988 Fiero GT
1988 Fiero Formula
2004 Chevy Blazer

Joe Torma

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-22-2006 07:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Joe TormaClick Here to visit Joe Torma's HomePageSend a Private Message to Joe TormaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It does, and it doesn't. Nothing about the 7" Diamond spoke
Lilchief

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-22-2006 08:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LilchiefSend a Private Message to LilchiefEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I need a little clarification here. How come a 35mm offset on a 8" wheel is different than a 35mm offset on a 8.5" wheel. I would think they would be the same and the half inch would be to the outside.

------------------
85 GT 3.4
Auto 3.08
14.9 @ 90 1.9 60"

s550w

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-22-2006 10:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for s550wSend a Private Message to s550wEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Offset is center of tire to face of hub nounting surface. When the width increases, it adds 1/2 to each side.

I had 14x6 aluminum with 47mm offset on my 87 coupe that came off an '84 that I had. They probably were not Fiero wheels since they rubbed the struts. The handling was also horrible. After replacing the struts, I replaced the wheels since it could not be aligned with the aluminum 14x6-47mm wheels. I am runninf 17x7-40mm offset with 215/45-17 tires. The handling is great and the 17 diameter is clearing the struts and not hitting the control arms at full turn. Ther 17 diameter gets above the strut mounting that you would hit by just widening the wheels.

Brian

fiero_silva

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 51
Rate this member

Report this Post03-22-2006 11:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fiero_silvaSend a Private Message to fiero_silvaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
One of these days I'm going to throw together a 3D model of the suspension system and brake system so I can check exact wheel clearances in a really cool way
Scurvy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-02-2006 03:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ScurvySend a Private Message to ScurvyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Is there anyway to add a line in where the strut would be so we know if they will rub or not?
Gokart Mozart

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 159
Rate this member

Report this Post04-02-2006 04:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gokart MozartClick Here to visit Gokart Mozart's HomePageSend a Private Message to Gokart MozartEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I was wondering about other clearances (brakes, body, struts, etc) and the front rims. Any details on those?
PFF
System Bot
ig88vsbobafett

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 71
Rate this member

Report this Post04-02-2006 04:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ig88vsbobafettSend a Private Message to ig88vsbobafettEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
So if i am reading that right i would want a 7" with a 47/48 or 50 mm off set wheel for the front of a 88 ? also what would that off set look like on the back of the 88 ?
Earl-R

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-02-2006 09:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Earl-RSend a Private Message to Earl-REdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Scurvy:

Is there anyway to add a line in where the strut would be so we know if they will rub or not?

Thats why I run a 12MM offset on my 9" rims. That gives me 12.5mm clearence from the tire to the spring.

I to would be curious to see a extra line added for the Strut/spring where it would hit the tire.

On my 87 GT with 11.25" brakes I have 137 MM from the hub to spring on the strut assy.

BTW, Thanks Joe, great idea.

[This message has been edited by Earl-R (edited 04-02-2006).]

Fiero_Adam

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-02-2006 11:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero_AdamSend a Private Message to Fiero_AdamEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Earl-R:

Thats why I run a 12MM offset on my 9" rims.

Wouldn't that stick out? The stock GT wheels are 7" wide with a 30mm offset. They're about even with the body. Your wheels add at least 1.5" outboard, compared to stock.

------------------

Joe Torma

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-02-2006 11:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Joe TormaClick Here to visit Joe Torma's HomePageSend a Private Message to Joe TormaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Earl-R:

Thats why I run a 12MM offset on my 9" rims. That gives me 12.5mm clearence from the tire to the spring.
I to would be curious to see a extra line added for the Strut/spring where it would hit the tire.
On my 87 GT with 11.25" brakes I have 137 MM from the hub to spring on the strut assy.
BTW, Thanks Joe, great idea.

My pleasure.
You really have 12mm offsets?

Keep in mind there is maybe 1/2" beyond the width for the lip. This probably varies by wheel manufacturer. The "strut line" may be difficult to place since it may really depend on the tire.

Updated, and organized.

Earl-R

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-02-2006 11:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Earl-RSend a Private Message to Earl-REdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
They stick out maybe 1/2 - 3/4" past the edge of the fender. They've never hit the fender yet.

On my wheels the face where the wheels hit the hub is 1/2" off center or 0 offset.

My 9" wheels are approximately 230 MM wide including lip. The tire is even with the outer edge of the wheel, if the tire sticks out pass the wheel it's less than a 1/8" and not a factor because of the design of the spring, smaller top bottom larger on top. Take overall width 230 / 2 = 115 Add back in the offset of 12MM and I have 127mm from the hub to the spring. My spring is 137 from the hub face which gives me 10 mm clearance. This is the widest wheel I felt I could run and not stick out to far because of the fender and still have clearance on my springs and strut package.

The lip on both sides adds maybe 6 MM in overall width, 3 MM on each side.

Offset is measured from the center of the wheel. If the hub is closer to the outside of the wheel from center that is positive offset. If the hub is closer to the inner flange from center that is negative offset (typically Deep Dish Wheels)

That is why there is a difference between the 8" and 8.5" wheels with the same offset. The 8" wheels will stick out further than a the 8.5" wheel with the same offset. I was looking at the 8.5" wheel with a 48MM offset, that wheel should be hitting the stock spring. You would need coilovers to keep that from happening using that wheel.

[This message has been edited by Earl-R (edited 04-03-2006).]

Joe Torma

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-03-2006 12:07 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Joe TormaClick Here to visit Joe Torma's HomePageSend a Private Message to Joe TormaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hmmm....would this be a help? I suppose it makes some assumptions, and the wall would be pulled in for those tires wider than the wheel, but does give an idea on the look.

[edit] moved to 1st post

[This message has been edited by Joe Torma (edited 09-20-2006).]

Earl-R

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-03-2006 12:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Earl-RSend a Private Message to Earl-REdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That good Joe, I'm sure it will help some people.

I knew that my wheel inside the lip was 225MM so I went with a 225 50R16 rear tire. So the tread is the same width as the wheel and does not exceed the width of the wheel.

Joe Torma

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-03-2006 12:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Joe TormaClick Here to visit Joe Torma's HomePageSend a Private Message to Joe TormaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Should I keep going? I've yet to see this all visually.
[edit] see below!

[This message has been edited by Joe Torma (edited 04-22-2006).]

Earl-R

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-03-2006 12:37 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Earl-RSend a Private Message to Earl-REdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Joe, good visual aids.

Heres a old pic of my car to give you a idea.

[This message has been edited by Earl-R (edited 04-03-2006).]

hnthomps

Feedback score:    (18)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-03-2006 09:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hnthompsSend a Private Message to hnthompsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Why not add 265 x 50 x 15 to the list. That is what I am running on my stock Chromadora wheels (88 Mera) and they look pretty good.

EDIT: Added 215-235 Should I add more?

PFF
System Bot
Scurvy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-03-2006 10:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ScurvySend a Private Message to ScurvyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If a tire sticks out that far beyon the rim (like the 235) wouldn't that effect performance negatively? It may not but it looks like it should. The sidewall isn't well supported anymore and might cause more deflection?

Mind you I have no idea on this topic, it just looks like that to me.

zmcdonal

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-03-2006 10:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for zmcdonalSend a Private Message to zmcdonalEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Wow this is a really cool write up. Nice work. So it looks like 235's would be the widest that one could go on the stock 7" inch rims right, or can i go wider. How about the 6" rims off the front of an 88, what would be the widest that i could go on those without effecting the handling??
Joe Torma

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-04-2006 01:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Joe TormaClick Here to visit Joe Torma's HomePageSend a Private Message to Joe TormaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

If a tire sticks out that far beyon the rim (like the 235) wouldn't that effect performance negatively? It may not but it looks like it should. The sidewall isn't well supported anymore and might cause more deflection?

Mind you I have no idea on this topic, it just looks like that to me.

I think you are correct. I think it's easy to see what's too wide for a particular width, and agree it probably will affect handling...at what point that happens I don't know. Tire manufacturers do list a range usually.

Scurvy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-04-2006 01:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ScurvySend a Private Message to ScurvyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

EDIT: Added 215-235 Should I add more?

Can you do this with different size rims like 8inchers so we can see how wide we can go

Joe Torma

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-04-2006 01:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Joe TormaClick Here to visit Joe Torma's HomePageSend a Private Message to Joe TormaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by hnthomps:
Why not add 265 x 50 x 15 to the list. That is what I am running on my stock Chromadora wheels (88 Mera) and they look pretty good.

How wide of a wheel?
Joe Torma

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-04-2006 02:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Joe TormaClick Here to visit Joe Torma's HomePageSend a Private Message to Joe TormaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Joe Torma

3485 posts
Member since Jul 2001

Can you do this with different size rims like 8inchers so we can see how wide we can go

There you go. Did 7.5(for me) and some 8s for you.

hnthomps

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-04-2006 07:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hnthompsSend a Private Message to hnthompsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Joe,

I really have no idea how wide the Chromadoras are. They just came with the car and have only been off a few times for new shoes. I have a set of mesh rims for an 88 Mera (without tires) and will measure them later when I am home.

How wide of a wheel?

Scurvy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-04-2006 08:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ScurvySend a Private Message to ScurvyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Dude this is the best thread I've ever seen on here. Now people can finally see what will and will not fit as opposed to spending hours searching old threads or starting a bunch of new threads. This should be a sticky
hnthomps

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-05-2006 12:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hnthompsSend a Private Message to hnthompsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I checked the mesh wheels last night and did a rough measurement (OD not ID). The smaller rims were about 7" and the larger ones 8". However, I still do not know what the measurements on the Chromadora rims are.

Originally posted by hnthomps:

Joe,

I really have no idea how wide the Chromadoras are. They just came with the car and have only been off a few times for new shoes. I have a set of mesh rims for an 88 Mera (without tires) and will measure them later when I am home.

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 6 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock