Wheel Offset Diagram by Joe Torma
Started on: 03-21-2006 02:45 AM
Replies: 217 (51065 views)
Last post by: Will on 08-17-2020 05:39 PM
redraif

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-29-2008 11:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for redraifSend a Private Message to redraifEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Wow this is awesome. Helped alot. Now If I can find rims in the sweet spot, so I can take the indy's off & keep them safe!. LOL!

------------------
"I'm just a girl..."
1984 Indy Fiero Pace Car
1987 Red & Black Firebird: "RAIF" WEBSITE: www.redraif.com
OTHER CARS’ WEBSITES:
1982 Trans AM / 1990 Chevy Dually / 1976 Scout II / 1987 Nissan Pulsar

IP: Logged
FTF Engineering

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-30-2008 09:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FTF EngineeringSend a Private Message to FTF EngineeringEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hey Joe,

Great diagram, but the 88 specs need to be adjusted...

The Diamond wheels used on the 88 Formulas and GTs...

The '88 front wheels are 15 x 6 x 37mm
The '88 rear wheels are 15 x 7 x 30mm

Any source that tells you otherwise is wrong.

You might want to update your drawing.

-Bruce at FTF Engineering
Coinage

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-02-2008 11:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for CoinageClick Here to visit Coinage's HomePageSend a Private Message to CoinageEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Picture down again?
Joe Torma

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 129
Rate this member

Report this Post07-02-2008 04:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Joe TormaClick Here to visit Joe Torma's HomePageSend a Private Message to Joe TormaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'll update and repost.
Thanks for the fix. I checked a couple of sites and they were wrong I guess.
eph_kay

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-27-2008 07:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for eph_kaySend a Private Message to eph_kayEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The pictures are down, right when I need them... oh well, I can wait.
Chris
Coinage

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-31-2008 08:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for CoinageClick Here to visit Coinage's HomePageSend a Private Message to CoinageEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
bump....
Joe Torma

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-31-2008 09:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Joe TormaClick Here to visit Joe Torma's HomePageSend a Private Message to Joe TormaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

[This message has been edited by Joe Torma (edited 07-12-2011).]

Amida

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 63
Rate this member

Report this Post07-31-2008 11:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AmidaSend a Private Message to AmidaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I noticed there is only 1 line for the hub surface. What about the '88 front hubs? Aren't they wider than the pre-88s ?
Joe 1320

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-31-2008 01:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Joe 1320Click Here to visit Joe 1320's HomePageSend a Private Message to Joe 1320Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
So if I read this correct, the wheel could extend further inside the wheel well if it is shorter than where the portion of the strut/coil spring intrudes into the wheel well. So fitting a 9.5 inch wide wheel up front would require something short enough to fit slightly "under" the coil spring . Too tall a tire and you're going to interfere. correct?
gt88norm

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-31-2008 05:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for gt88normSend a Private Message to gt88normEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Amida :

The commonality of all the representations of rims shown above is that they are being shown with their respective hub surface on a common plane.

Norm
Amida

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-31-2008 06:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AmidaSend a Private Message to AmidaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by gt88norm:

Amida :

The commonality of all the representations of rims shown above is that they are being shown with their respective hub surface on a common plane.

Norm

I think it's the wheelwell line that's throwing it off. According to the chart the '88 front 15x6x37mm is over an inch inside the wheel well edge. That would be great if it was, but to me the wheels on my '88 stick out like sore thumbs ( stock diamond spoke ).

PFF
System Bot
Coinage

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-31-2008 10:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CoinageClick Here to visit Coinage's HomePageSend a Private Message to CoinageEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Amida:

I think it's the wheelwell line that's throwing it off. According to the chart the '88 front 15x6x37mm is over an inch inside the wheel well edge. That would be great if it was, but to me the wheels on my '88 stick out like sore thumbs ( stock diamond spoke ).

need to remember that the chart is showing the rim, not the tire. In your picture the tire clearly sticks out much further than the rim.Plus camber,toe,caster may all be different causing a different appearance.

[This message has been edited by Coinage (edited 07-31-2008).]

gt88norm

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-31-2008 11:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for gt88normSend a Private Message to gt88normEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Also, are you sure that the front rims are actually '88s, the '88s have virtually no lip between the diamond pattern
and the bead, . . . compared to the rear.
Amida

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-01-2008 09:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AmidaSend a Private Message to AmidaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by gt88norm:

Also, are you sure that the front rims are actually '88s, the '88s have virtually no lip between the diamond pattern
and the bead, . . . compared to the rear.

Right, I've got the zero dish type up front. There should be another line marker for the '88 front wheel well edge. This chart makes the '88 wheel look like it has more wheelwell gap than the pre-'88s.
Coinage

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-01-2008 12:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CoinageClick Here to visit Coinage's HomePageSend a Private Message to CoinageEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I think the blue lines are the 88 spec
Isolde

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 133
Rate this member

Report this Post10-15-2008 02:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IsoldeSend a Private Message to IsoldeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I found this extremely helpful. I will soon see how accurate it is. Thanks for working it up.
Joe Torma

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-15-2008 02:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Joe TormaClick Here to visit Joe Torma's HomePageSend a Private Message to Joe TormaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
one of those lines shouldn't be there.
it's just a reference to compare to the stock wheel it touches(top)
Austrian Import

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-20-2009 02:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Austrian ImportSend a Private Message to Austrian ImportEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
*anti archive bump*
vEnOm

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-17-2009 04:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for vEnOmSend a Private Message to vEnOmEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Joe, good job on setting this info for us all. is it possible for you to add a 7.5 with 20mm offset?
Rallaster

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 84
Rate this member

Report this Post09-03-2009 07:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RallasterSend a Private Message to RallasterEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Austrian Import:

*anti archive bump*

And yet another one! Can't believe I missed this in my search. Would have saved me the time of starting a new thread.... lol

A big + and an even bigger for your work!
carbon

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 132
Rate this member

Report this Post11-05-2009 09:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for carbonSend a Private Message to carbonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Want... to... buy... some... F'ing... wheels for my 88GT... front offset issue raising price... dang it!

*Bump*
PFF
System Bot
Isolde

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-14-2010 06:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IsoldeSend a Private Message to IsoldeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
So I was shopping wheels by size on www.discounttiredirect.com, and I started by asking it to find me some 17x9s on a 5 on 100 lug pattern. (stock Fiero) For the rear. To my amazement, not only did it find some, the price was $140 each, and there is a choice of offsets. from this thread's first diagram, I see the +38mm offset is the best choice, though I might need a 4mm spacer on each side. I can live with that. Then I set about finding matching front wheels, and the narrowest option is 8" wide, with a choice of +35mm or +47mm offsets. Since I'm planning on the LeBaron rotor upgrade, I'll need the +47mm offset. The fronts are $130 each. If you're curious, go look for style DR31 from a manufacturer named "Drag", who swears the wheels are perfect for street and drift use as well. Now, I need tires. I have a friend who can get me a killer price on Hankook tires, so I got on www.tirerack.com to see what I might like. For me, I settled on the Hankook Ventus V12 evo K110 tires, up front using a 225/45, which specs as 25.0" dia., and 7.7" tread width, for $90 each. On the rear, I wanted a 26" tire, such as a 255/45, but that's not listed, and the 255/40 specs as 25.0" dia, and 8.7" tread width. $ 107 ea. This is better for brake balance and center of gravity and acceleration anyway, if not looks or mileage. I'll post a pic when I get them mounted. Besides, this might save me from needing a rear coilover conversion.

[This message has been edited by Isolde (edited 02-14-2010).]

Eau_Rouge

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-18-2010 10:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Eau_RougeSend a Private Message to Eau_RougeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Is it safe to maching the inner part of a wheel - part that meets the hub in order to increase the offset.
I've found a nice set of wheels that are 17 x 7.5 with a 32mm offset. They stick out by about 4mm which shouldn't be a problem on an 86 (please correct me if I'm wrong) but if I put them on an 88, the fronts will stick out by 22mm which is too much.

So again, it is possible to machine the inner hub of the wheel to increase the offset. I suspect wheels (non deep dish) with a low offset should have a thicker hub thus theoretically making machining to a larger offset possibe.

Has anyone heard of this type of machining being done?

[This message has been edited by Eau_Rouge (edited 03-18-2010).]

Will

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 237
Rate this member

Report this Post04-16-2010 01:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WillSend a Private Message to WillEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Can you add 8 w/ 25mm and 10 w/ 51 mm to the diagram?

Thanks!
IwannaIRM

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 58
Rate this member

Report this Post06-15-2010 07:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IwannaIRMSend a Private Message to IwannaIRMEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Joe,

I just want to make sure I understand your chart correctly.

Basically, I can go with an 8-1/2" wide wheel in the front with an offset between 42mm and 52mm to keep the wheel itself within the wheel well. This does not account for tire width.

Same goes with the rear wheels, a 9-1/2" wheel should have an offset of 65mm if I read your chart correctly since a 41mm offset would be outside the wheel well.
Australian

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-16-2010 04:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AustralianClick Here to visit Australian's HomePageSend a Private Message to AustralianEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html This is the best tire tool on web imo.
BMTFIERO

Feedback score:    (18)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-02-2011 02:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BMTFIEROSend a Private Message to BMTFIEROEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
bump
Alex4mula

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 153
Rate this member

Report this Post03-02-2011 02:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Alex4mulaSend a Private Message to Alex4mulaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Would be nice to have a table like that for the 88.
Isolde

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-09-2011 06:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IsoldeSend a Private Message to IsoldeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Anyone else seeing the broken link things in the OP, instead of the diagram?
I have the diagram saved on my other PC, all 4 sections of it.
But I don't want to go to all that trouble if there's no need.
Isolde

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-09-2011 06:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IsoldeSend a Private Message to IsoldeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Isolde

2504 posts
Member since May 2008

Originally posted by Alex4mula:

Would be nice to have a table like that for the 88.

The '88 is included in Torma's diagram.
Alex4mula

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 153
Rate this member

Report this Post03-09-2011 07:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Alex4mulaSend a Private Message to Alex4mulaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Isolde:

The '88 is included in Torma's diagram.

Are these for the outside wheelwell/fender edge only? If so then ok. But what is the inside (left) black line? Is that line only for 15" rims? Then that I would say is useless for most people using 17"+. If not then they are wrong. I was measuring two set of rims and those dimensions (left line) are not close. For example, that 7.5" with 38mm offset has less than 1" clearance and I have 1.5". The 9" with 35mm touches the line and I have 1/2" clearance.
PFF
System Bot
JimmyS

Feedback score:    (31)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 124
Rate this member

Report this Post03-09-2011 08:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JimmySClick Here to visit JimmyS's HomePageSend a Private Message to JimmySEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Alex4mula:

Are these for the outside wheelwell/fender edge only? If so then ok. But what is the inside (left) black line? Is that line only for 15" rims? Then that I would say is useless for most people using 17"+. If not then they are wrong. I was measuring two set of rims and those dimensions (left line) are not close. For example, that 7.5" with 38mm offset has less than 1" clearance and I have 1.5". The 9" with 35mm touches the line and I have 1/2" clearance.

Careful Alex. You don't want to say this is wrong cause Isolde will go off on you...
https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/114148.html
RULOOKIN

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-21-2011 11:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RULOOKINClick Here to visit RULOOKIN's HomePageSend a Private Message to RULOOKINEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
BUMP !! NEED SOME HELP !!

trying to go with 18 by 9.5 with 40mm offset rear on a 88 with 285/30/r18 ????

So i currently have 18 by 8.5 with 35 offset running 265 35 18 trying to go 9.5 anyone have a difinitive answere i tried to get mesurements from top of tire to strut but is difficult to say the least.
I was thinking of getting one new rim 18/9.5 40 offset mount a 285/30/18 and see how it fits but if someone knows for sure if it will work please let me know!
Australian

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-29-2011 05:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AustralianClick Here to visit Australian's HomePageSend a Private Message to AustralianEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
This is the BEST on web to calculate sizes http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html
BoostedSeries1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-29-2011 11:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BoostedSeries1Send a Private Message to BoostedSeries1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm looking at some 18 x 9 w/ 42mm offset for the back could you add this to the list?
I'm also running coilovers so I'm just looking at fender protrusion at this point.

Thanks.
ace5514

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-29-2011 08:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ace5514Send a Private Message to ace5514Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Try this wheel and tire calculator. better than the miata.net on as it takes into account wheel and tire dimensions.
you enter the stock specs on the left and then the new rim and tire specs on the right.

al

http://www.rimsntires.com/specs.jsp

[This message has been edited by ace5514 (edited 03-29-2011).]

Trinten

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-02-2011 03:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TrintenSend a Private Message to TrintenEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Sorry for the noob questions here, but I'm just making sure I understand the impact of the offset.

Ignoring all the numbers for a second - since the graph shows all the wheels on the same plane - am I correct in thinking that the closer the offset mark (for any wheel) is to the stock position, the better it is for bearing life and/or suspension geometry?

Like if I draw a line straight down from the offset mark on the 15x7 / 30mm Stock wheels, and I wanted to go with a 7.5" wide wheel, the closest matching offset mark for them is 35mm, so that would be the best selection of 7.5" wide wheels (out of those listed)?

I'm if mistaken, please let me know how I should be figuring out the optimum offset for any given wheel.

Secondly, I didn't see this in the thread (could have missed it), but what numbers do you compare/calculate to find out what the maximum sidewall height can be for a given width (let's say on a 17" wheel, since that's the size I'm looking for), and still clear everything safely when turning?

Thank you all!
Trinten

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-12-2011 11:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TrintenSend a Private Message to TrintenEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
^^ No one knows?
Joe Torma

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-12-2011 08:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Joe TormaClick Here to visit Joe Torma's HomePageSend a Private Message to Joe TormaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Trinten:
Ignoring all the numbers for a second - since the graph shows all the wheels on the same plane - am I correct in thinking that the closer the offset mark (for any wheel) is to the stock position, the better it is for bearing life and/or suspension geometry?

You are correct. The dotted line is the wheel center offset from the hub. Extremes will put the bearing under excess stress. Remember, rotor thickness gets added to 88s fronts, and 84-up rears.

Yep, I'm alive. Sorry for the delay. 2 requests have been added.

[This message has been edited by Joe Torma (edited 07-12-2011).]

lildevil

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 56
Rate this member

Report this Post07-14-2011 09:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for lildevilClick Here to visit lildevil's HomePageSend a Private Message to lildevilEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
so according to this a 18x 8 38mm offset will fit fine correct? What does the red line on the left represent?
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 6 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock