Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat
  Photos of Protos at the GM Tech Center (WARNING, NOT 56K FRIENDLY) (Page 2)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 5 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
Photos of Protos at the GM Tech Center (WARNING, NOT 56K FRIENDLY) by WingNut - MD
Started on: 09-02-2004 11:44 PM
Replies: 176 (21019 views)
Last post by: WingNut - MD on 11-19-2018 09:25 AM
RAREW66

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 78
Rate this member

Report this Post09-06-2004 02:07 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RAREW66Click Here to visit RAREW66's HomePageSend a Private Message to RAREW66Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
A shot of the back side of the front fascia where the fender attaches. One of the examples of how the car is somewhat unfinished:

The trunk pan in the rear was fiberglass. I would assume that production version would have been constructed out of sheet metal:

We also noticed that the front wheel houses where plastic. These had to be modified to clear the larger wheel width. I am also assuming that they would have been metal in the production version. Sorry no pic.

Close up of the simplified headligght mechanism:

Close ups of the Power Steering reservoir and the pump from underneath:

IP: Logged
RAREW66

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-06-2004 02:43 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RAREW66Click Here to visit RAREW66's HomePageSend a Private Message to RAREW66Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

RAREW66

1119 posts
Member since Jun 2001
The Hot Rod Magazine car was cleaned up very nicely since we saw it at the 20th. The wheels looked nice with the aluminum polished up:

Close up of the headlights and the massive relay that turned them on:

The car has 315/35 -17 tires on the rear. These pics show the strut spacers and frame modifications needed to fit the tires inside the stock body:

During the late eighties, the SD-4 out both the Hot Rod Magazine Car and the #2 Indy Pace Car were removed to use in concept cars from both Oldsmobile and Pontiac. I am researching to see if I can find which prototypes they went in to. Here is a picture of the Black and Red IMSA car that was crushed two years ago. The wheels are in inventory for spares were the prottypes are stored. They were on the #2 Indy Pace Car while I was measuring the disks on the wheels of the Pace Car. The SD-4 out of the black and red car is the engine that is currently in the #2 Indy Pace Car. Kind of funny how parts were swapped and switched.

LZeitgeist

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 126
Rate this member

Report this Post09-06-2004 09:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for LZeitgeistSend a Private Message to LZeitgeistEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Wow, that's quite the parking lot... is having one flat tire a requisite for parking there?

Seriously, is that a back parking/storage lot at the Tech Center or something? A few of the cars in the background look somewhat different yet familiar from this distance... red convertible GT(?) Some sort of red aerodynamic bubble-roofed something-or-other?

These pics are great, gang... thank you for posting them, and a HUGE thank you to Ken Shadlak for being such an awesome liason!!

If they have a Fiero get-together up there, I'm probably gonna have to come up there for this one... don't know if I want to wait for the 25th.

------------------
Patrick W. Heinske -- LZeitgeist@aol.com
1988 Red Fiero Formula Convertible

California Kid

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 274
Rate this member

Report this Post09-06-2004 10:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for California KidSend a Private Message to California KidEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I find it very interesting that the CV Boots (pictured above) on the Drag Car has tie wraps in the recesses of the bellows !
WingNut - MD

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 116
Rate this member

Report this Post09-06-2004 10:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for WingNut - MDClick Here to visit WingNut - MD's HomePageSend a Private Message to WingNut - MDEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Fred,

Thanks for posting your pics here! Nice additions.

ambfiero

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 103
Rate this member

Report this Post09-06-2004 02:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ambfieroSend a Private Message to ambfieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I HAVE TO GIVE THIS A BUMP.....

I wish I could have been around to partake back in 84 when this great little car came out but I was only 8yrs old. There was so much going on with the car and performance parts/engines galore. You guys are lucky to live around there and get to see these cars more up close and personal than most. I want to thank you all for taking these pictures and sharing them with us.

------------------
www.centralohfiero.org

Fierobsessed

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 147
Rate this member

Report this Post09-06-2004 03:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FierobsessedSend a Private Message to FierobsessedEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by RAREW66:

Actually, thats the fan relay used on 84's with A/C

Great pictures though!

By any chance, got any "detail" photos of the Pace car? In particular, the rear scoop.

Did you notice the drag car had spares for front tires??? Wierd.

[This message has been edited by Fierobsessed (edited 09-06-2004).]

wikid_one

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 59
Rate this member

Report this Post09-06-2004 03:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for wikid_oneSend a Private Message to wikid_oneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by ambfiero:

I HAVE TO GIVE THIS A BUMP.....

I wish I could have been around to partake back in 84 when this great little car came out but I was only 8yrs old.

I know how you feel, I was -1 years old in 84 .

------------------

JG87LXi-2Fast_Fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-06-2004 05:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JG87LXi-2Fast_FieroClick Here to visit JG87LXi-2Fast_Fiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to JG87LXi-2Fast_FieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I got a question for you fiero techies.....I hear alot about Pontiac crushing alot of thier own fiero models....car's that aren't even used....why? Why dont they throw the car's on ebay or give them away in a contest at a fiero convention or something...why crush them? These car's are gonna go extinct if we dont preserve them and start remaking them. Why Pontiac, WHY!?!?! GIVE ONE TO ME DAMNIT!
88GTAL

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-06-2004 06:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 88GTALSend a Private Message to 88GTALEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Great pictures! It's nice to know that GM is still hanging onto the Fiero Protos. You can tell it was a special car for them. I bet they don't have that many protos of all the other models that they have made. Thanks again for showing GM that we are still out here. Al
JG87LXi-2Fast_Fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-06-2004 06:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JG87LXi-2Fast_FieroClick Here to visit JG87LXi-2Fast_Fiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to JG87LXi-2Fast_FieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 88GTAL:

Great pictures! It's nice to know that GM is still hanging onto the Fiero Protos. You can tell it was a special car for them. I bet they don't have that many protos of all the other models that they have made. Thanks again for showing GM that we are still out here. Al

yeah, but the SD-4 was a nice car to hold onto. I bet that car didn't have 100 miles on it. I'm struggling with a 87 fiero coupe that has some inner body damage that makes the hood and pass side corner light not line up right. I bet that car didn't have a scratch on it. Damn, they shouldn't crush any fiero unless it was allready severly damaged. Have a building made using solor energy to keep the power running to display all the fiero models and trim levels. Dont crush them, if not....throw them on ebay, I bet they could have made a load of cash on that SD-4

PFF
System Bot
NotAFieroAnyLonger

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 255
Rate this member

Report this Post09-06-2004 06:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NotAFieroAnyLongerSend a Private Message to NotAFieroAnyLongerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Very... Very Cool!!

Thanks for sharing all the picture's..

I noticed that the 1990 had 499 miles on it.. Who's been driving it that much..?? Who has a picture of the 1990 dash from the 20th so we can see how many mile's were on it then..??
Again.. Thanks everyone!

Steve

------------------
*Custom-Shaved HandBuilt!!* *FIRST-EVER CHOPTOP-WIDEBODY GT!!*
*~* 4.9L-V8*~*Pic's Coming Soon! Stay Tuned!!

California Kid

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 274
Rate this member

Report this Post09-06-2004 08:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for California KidSend a Private Message to California KidEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by NotAFieroAnyLonger:

I noticed that the 1990 had 499 miles on it.. Who's been driving it that much..??

No doubt they did some testing at the Milford Proving Grounds.
WingNut - MD

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 116
Rate this member

Report this Post09-06-2004 09:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WingNut - MDClick Here to visit WingNut - MD's HomePageSend a Private Message to WingNut - MDEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by NotAFieroAnyLonger:

Very... Very Cool!!

Thanks for sharing all the picture's..

I noticed that the 1990 had 499 miles on it.. Who's been driving it that much..?? Who has a picture of the 1990 dash from the 20th so we can see how many mile's were on it then..??
Again.. Thanks everyone!

Steve

Steve,

I was wondering the same thing myself, so I went back into my photo files and found a dash pic from the 20th.
495 miles at the 20th. 7/19/03

Click on link to see it bigger->This images is larger than 100K. Click to view.
499 miles at the Tech Center. 9/2/04

4 miles in a year. Not too bad for this awesome piece of Fiero history.
edit to fix image link

[This message has been edited by WingNut - MD (edited 09-06-2004).]

alienfiero

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 63
Rate this member

Report this Post09-07-2004 01:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for alienfieroSend a Private Message to alienfieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The yellow and black Fiero had the duel over head cam conversion for the iron duke engine in the car.
Need pics.
Darth Fiero

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 361
Rate this member

Report this Post09-07-2004 02:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Darth FieroClick Here to visit Darth Fiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to Darth FieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
thanks to everyone for posting pics for those of us who were unable to attend. Did anyone notice the 90 proto has a custom radiator? Upper hose goes in UNDER the trans cooler line.
Ambush

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-07-2004 02:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AmbushClick Here to visit Ambush's HomePageSend a Private Message to AmbushEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I like the goodwrench race one, is there a body kit that looks like that?
NotAFieroAnyLonger

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-07-2004 02:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for NotAFieroAnyLongerSend a Private Message to NotAFieroAnyLongerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Ambush:

I like the goodwrench race one, is there a body kit that looks like that?

www.FieroWarehouse.com Doug and Sage are GREAT guy and do even better work!

------------------
*Custom-Shaved HandBuilt!!* *FIRST-EVER CHOPTOP-WIDEBODY GT!!*
*~* 4.9L-V8*~*Pic's Coming Soon! Stay Tuned!!

NotAFieroAnyLonger

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-07-2004 02:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for NotAFieroAnyLongerSend a Private Message to NotAFieroAnyLongerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

NotAFieroAnyLonger

4413 posts
Member since Dec 2003

Originally posted by WingNut - MD:

Steve,

I was wondering the same thing myself, so I went back into my photo files and found a dash pic from the 20th.
495 miles at the 20th. 7/19/03
499 miles at the Tech Center. 9/2/04

4 miles in a year. Not too bad for this awesome piece of Fiero history.
edit to fix image link

Thanks abunch! I knew someone had a pic of it from the 20th...
JazzMan

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 653
User Banned

Report this Post09-07-2004 10:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JazzManSend a Private Message to JazzManEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

[This message has been edited by JazzMan (edited 04-21-2009).]

noodle

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-07-2004 10:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for noodleSend a Private Message to noodleEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Is it just me or does it look like there is a convertiable fiero in the back ground of the bottom of this pic?

https://images.fiero.nl/pffimages/Black_and_Red_IMSA.jpg

when was this picture taken?

PFF
System Bot
SNMFX

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post09-07-2004 02:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SNMFXClick Here to visit SNMFX's HomePageSend a Private Message to SNMFXEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It's a convertible...not as nice as mine though!!!!
Mine is a prototype 1988 GT built by Pontiac for the 1988 Anaheim Auto show.
Displayed two weeks before the car was Axed!!!!

------------------

[This message has been edited by SNMFX (edited 09-07-2004).]

88red4cyl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-22-2004 09:19 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 88red4cylSend a Private Message to 88red4cylEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'd be interested to know what this is too..
tesmith66

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 135
Rate this member

Report this Post09-22-2004 10:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for tesmith66Send a Private Message to tesmith66Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Could that be the Banshee?

------------------
1986 SE 350 V8

bubbajoexxx

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 112
Rate this member

Report this Post09-22-2004 11:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for bubbajoexxxClick Here to visit bubbajoexxx's HomePageSend a Private Message to bubbajoexxxEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Zodo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-25-2004 07:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ZodoSend a Private Message to ZodoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Bubbajoe, that's what I was thinking. So I guess it might be Karma that members are taking the gauges from the Firebirds and putting them into the Fiero.
Will

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 237
Rate this member

Report this Post12-08-2004 07:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WillSend a Private Message to WillEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
bump
WKDFIRO

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-08-2004 09:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WKDFIROSend a Private Message to WKDFIROEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
No engine pics of the black and yellow Formula!?

That one was in a magazine with Pontiac Motor Sport's Super Duty Twin Cam engine!

RAREW66

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-08-2004 11:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RAREW66Click Here to visit RAREW66's HomePageSend a Private Message to RAREW66Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The SD-4 out of the HR Magazine car was removed in the late eighties and used in another Prototype car. The car currently has the stock 2.8 in it. All the other high performance stuff that they did to the car is ther though. We are still researching which Prototype the engine went in to.

Fred

madcurl

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 314
Rate this member

Report this Post02-21-2005 02:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Ouchie! Now that bump..... hurts.
madcurl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-21-2005 09:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Ouch! That bump hurts.

[This message has been edited by madcurl (edited 05-21-2005).]

PFF
System Bot
NY_FIERO

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-21-2005 11:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NY_FIEROClick Here to visit NY_FIERO's HomePageSend a Private Message to NY_FIEROEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
wow what great history.....
He Named Thor

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-22-2005 12:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for He Named ThorClick Here to visit He Named Thor's HomePageSend a Private Message to He Named ThorEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Sooo many pictures...

Whatever happened to those Spice Racing Fieros? Where are they now?

madcurl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-22-2005 12:34 AM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by He Named Thor:

Sooo many pictures...

Whatever happened to those Spice Racing Fieros? Where are they now?

It's here: https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum1/HTML/044595.html

madcurl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-11-2005 12:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
bump, cause GM prototypes never die.
madcurl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-28-2006 07:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by madcurl:

bump, cause GM prototypes never die.

They just keep on roll'n.

Toddster

Feedback score:    (41)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 503
Rate this member

Report this Post01-28-2006 09:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ToddsterSend a Private Message to ToddsterEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Way to go FRED!

Jeez, you mid-west guys get all the goodies!

TI_3VOM

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-29-2006 10:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TI_3VOMSend a Private Message to TI_3VOMEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by noodle:

Is it just me or does it look like there is a convertiable fiero in the back ground of the bottom of this pic?

https://images.fiero.nl/pffimages/Black_and_Red_IMSA.jpg

when was this picture taken?

...how about that "other" red Fiero prototype in front of the convertible in the background? Anyone?

ranger

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-29-2006 11:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for rangerSend a Private Message to rangerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The 90 Prototype, and the Yellow and Black Formula Drag Car , will be on display at the ' Automotive Hall Fame', in Dearborn Michigan on July 22nd. 2006. As part of the MFC Fiero Festable.
madcurl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-22-2006 02:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by madcurl:

bump, cause GM Fiero prototypes never die.

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 5 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock