Started on: 09-09-2016 07:10 PM
Replies: 21 (1179 views)
Last post by: Raydar on 03-24-2018 08:23 AM
qwikgta

Feedback score:    (21)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 84
Rate this member

Report this Post09-09-2016 07:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for qwikgtaSend a Private Message to qwikgtaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
went by my local pick a part because they have a 87 Coupe in the yard. I wasn't expecting much because the car had been there for two weekends now, but I did find a brand new radiator overflow and windshield fluid containers. Nice and white and clean. I've been looking for a overflow bottle for a while now, every one I find has one or both of the mounting tabs broken. anyway, when I was done removing the parts I started to walk the yard to see what else I "needed to buy". I found a G6 with both the front buckets removed and just sitting in the car, looks like someone was trying to get the steering and center console parts and for some reason removed the seats. I looked them over and they are in perfect shape, so I loaded them up in my wagon and left. Got a great deal on them, they only charged me $35 bucks a piece and another $10 for the two bottles.

I measured the seats and once you remove all the plastic crap on the bottom they are the same size as the stock Fiero seats. They are taller but again that is because of the huge rail that is on the bottom of them. I measured the seats w/out the rail and they are only 1/2 taller than the stock seats. It looks like the rails will unbolt and then I can start fabing up some brackets to make them fit onto the Fiero seat rails. I did a search to see if anyone had mounted up G6 seats and I got back a ton of threads about G6's and about seats, but not any real info on installing them. anyway, not sure when I'll get to this, but it doesn't look that difficult. I'll take some pics as I do the install

Rob

------------------

88 Coupe, CJB #95, LS376, F40 and a GT clip
LS Build Thread: //www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum1/HTML/083204.html
LS on Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QAH9yjw6XR0

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Fiero 88

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-09-2016 10:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero 88Send a Private Message to Fiero 88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Those should look great in the car and that's a heck of a good price for them. Nice score.

------------------
Past:
1988 base coupe sold
1984 base coupe rust
Present:
1986 SE 2m6

LorenBateman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-10-2016 12:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LorenBatemanSend a Private Message to LorenBatemanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
G6 seats in a Fiero NO NO NO You should just give them to me ,, Ill save you bro.. Really you got a great deal I would install just to see how it looks and if you dont care for them you can always sell and 2x your money spent
trivet

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-10-2016 12:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for trivetSend a Private Message to trivetEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Nice score - those should look great! Keep us up to date and POST PICTURES!! If this works, I might start looking for some G6 seats. Great deal!

And off topic - what's up with your spoiler? Looks all "chewed up". Is that just a bad picture or did something happen?
DKcustoms

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-10-2016 01:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DKcustomsSend a Private Message to DKcustomsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Been thinking about this swap since I rode in my buddy's g6 gtp.
seats are super comfy, good bolstering.

I will be following this
dobey

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 371
User Banned

Report this Post09-10-2016 01:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by trivet:
And off topic - what's up with your spoiler? Looks all "chewed up". Is that just a bad picture or did something happen?

Haha. I think it's a towel with the edge just along the spoiler, that makes it look that way. I see an interior piece sitting on the decklid, so presumably a towel is there to protect it.
qwikgta

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-10-2016 06:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for qwikgtaSend a Private Message to qwikgtaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by trivet:

Nice score - those should look great! Keep us up to date and POST PICTURES!! If this works, I might start looking for some G6 seats. Great deal!

yea, its just a towel I put on the deck lid w/ all the interior parts I picked up a few weeks ago. I'm thinking about a color change and I have collected a gauge surround, shift surround, aux gauge, and radio/temp surround. Thinking about sending them off to be covered w/ leather.
Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post09-10-2016 08:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Please let me know how they work out.
I own a 2010 G6 GT, and I believe the Fiero seats actually feel more comfortable to me. Seems like I sit on the G6 seats, while I sit in the Fiero seats.
The tradeoff is, the G6 seats have lots more things to adjust, assuming you got the GT power seats.
YMMV.
onesexyfiero

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-11-2016 07:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for onesexyfieroSend a Private Message to onesexyfieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
As with most seats, the angle of the seat bottom is created by the rails. The Fiero is unusual in that the seat bottom itself is wedge shaped, with flat rails. When you adapt it, be sure to account for that difference in angle, or you'll be sliding down out of the seat.
qwikgta

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-13-2016 04:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for qwikgtaSend a Private Message to qwikgtaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by onesexyfiero:

As with most seats, the angle of the seat bottom is created by the rails. The Fiero is unusual in that the seat bottom itself is wedge shaped, with flat rails. When you adapt it, be sure to account for that difference in angle, or you'll be sliding down out of the seat.

When I had the stock Fiero seat sitting next to the G6 one I noticed the exact same thing. The wedge at the front forces your butt back into the seat. You could really tell that if you didn't "lift" the front of the G6 seat up about 2" that you would do exactly as you said, "fall off". The bottom of the G6 seats have plate that forms the "lift" to the stock rails, it looks like I could leave the front one on, cut off the rear one and then I'd get the lift in the front. Its just so funny you pointed this out, because I saw the exact same thing as you described.

Yes, these are the GT ones, Power and both are "Heated" but I don't think i'll use the heat.

RJ
RCR

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 102
Rate this member

Report this Post09-13-2016 07:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RCRSend a Private Message to RCREdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Curious how much difference there is with the G6 seats versus the ATS seat I installed (still have the other to do).

Bob
PFF
System Bot
qwikgta

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-14-2016 05:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for qwikgtaSend a Private Message to qwikgtaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
i'll be working on this tomorrow. finally have some time off. wx looks great too. As for the size, so far what I can tell the bottom is the same size as stock Fiero, the seat back is about 1/2 inch taller, but these seats have a removable headrest. The back is the same width as the Fiero. The only big diff is that seat bottom does not have the "wedge" as mentioned above, and the width of the seat bottom where the rails bolt up. The Fiero seat bottom rails are about 13" apart, the G6 bottom rails is about 18" So i'll have to figure out how to put a 18" bottom onto rails that need to be 13" wide. I have some ideas and in my head, it makes sense. I also have to lift the front of the seats about 2-3" so that it leans back. I"ll get some pics and provide some more info soon.

[This message has been edited by qwikgta (edited 09-14-2016).]

dobey

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 371
User Banned

Report this Post09-14-2016 06:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The missing "wedge" is more about the fact that during the late 80s or early 90s, manufacturers starting adding more features to seats, like height adjustment. The G6 seat bottom angle is controlled by this mechanical system under the seat, where you use the ratcheting mechanism which will raise or lower the seat, which also affects the angle the bottom rests at. If you look at the picture of the two G6 seats you posted, you can see the passenger seat is a fair bit lower in the rear than the driver seat sitting next to it is. I'm guessing that particular G6 was probably driven by a shorter person.
qwikgta

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-16-2016 03:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for qwikgtaSend a Private Message to qwikgtaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Started working on the seats, started by stripping off all the plastic and removing the stock seat rails. Had to use a cutoff wheel to remove one of the brackets. After removing all the brackets I put the seat in the passenger side to see how it fit, it was a tight fit. The bottom is as wide as the space to put it in. It was flat on the floor and I know that putting the Fiero seat rails on it will raise it up some, but I may have to raise it up another inch or so. I put a few 2x4's under the seat to simulate the brackets and it raised it up enough to sit about right. I'm going to put a set of Fiero rails on the floor and then put the seat back on again to see how it fits. I'm gong to have to do a lot of fab to make the seat sit on the rails, but I knew that going in. I have some 2" x 1/8" flat plate that will bridge the rails and provide a flat base for the seat to sit on. I was going to weld the plate to the bottom of the seat frame, but the only way I can do that safe is to remove the leather/foam from them, and I don't want to do that yet. That will be plan "C". Plan "A" is to use some "L" bracket to bolt onto the seat frame and then bolt the other side onto the 2" plate bridging the rails. I'n my head it makes sense, will see if it works out. Here are some pics.

more to follow.

Rob

[This message has been edited by qwikgta (edited 09-16-2016).]

fireboss

Feedback score:    (20)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 58
Rate this member

Report this Post09-17-2016 03:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for firebossSend a Private Message to firebossEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Always nice to see a GREAT looking interior....
qwikgta

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-18-2016 10:30 AM Click Here to See the Profile for qwikgtaSend a Private Message to qwikgtaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
so i was able to work on the seats a little yesterday. Only had a few hours, but made the best of them. Planned it all out, went to Home Depot for supplies and I have a plan. First I took some measurements with the seat in the car. I put the stock Fiero rails back in, then put the seat on to see how far off I am. I was surprised to see how far off center the stock rails are to the seat. I noticed on the stock seats it does the same thing, I guess i never realized this before. On the G6 seats the offset is going to be about 2-2 1/2", no big deal I just have to keep reminding myself not to make things nice and centered. I did a little cutting, and drilled a few holes to get the front "L" brackets mounted up. No pics yet, still have to cut down the brackets.

I did make up a template so I can do all this off the car.

I will have to make the seats sit a little higher than I wanted, about 1" higher than stock. The Fiero seat bottoms are a few inch's narrower than the G6 seats and because the Fiero seats narrow down they can sit lower in the car. I don't think it will matter. Here is a pic with the seats sitting at the height they will sit when finished. I am going to have to fab up a new lever to adjust the back of the seat, it interferes with the seat belt. I may be able to lower the seat a little after I remove the lever and make a new one. You can see how they both want to use the same space. I even put the seatbelt on the inside of the lever to see if it fit better. The width of the seat back is the same size as the space, it goes from center console to "B" pillar trim, very tight.

more to follow.

[This message has been edited by qwikgta (edited 09-18-2016).]

ltlgt88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-21-2018 03:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ltlgt88Send a Private Message to ltlgt88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Not to big a old thread from the dead but how didnthis complete out? Any more pics? G6 seats are easy to get.
qwikgta

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-21-2018 05:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for qwikgtaSend a Private Message to qwikgtaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
never put them in my green 88. about the same time I was working on it, I picked up a set of Corvette Z06 seats w/ no seat rails. Ended up installing those in my Red 88 GT so I didn't have another set of Fiero seat rails. I did pick up a set of Fiero rails and I was going to take another look at the G6 seats when the WX gets better.

Rob
pokeyfiero

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 309
Rate this member

Report this Post03-21-2018 05:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pokeyfieroClick Here to visit pokeyfiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to pokeyfieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have been looking at seat options for the last few days and those G6 seats look really good!!

[This message has been edited by pokeyfiero (edited 03-21-2018).]

Blitz54

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-22-2018 08:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Blitz54Send a Private Message to Blitz54Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The G6 is the one car that's actually easily accessible at the wreckers here. That and sunfires of course.

Actually driving a G6 as my daily. Didn't know they came with leather seats though! I've owned 2 and they were both cloth seats. Base model and GT.
qwikgta

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-22-2018 09:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for qwikgtaSend a Private Message to qwikgtaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
i've got three sets of leather seats. Two black sets from GT's and a black leather set of front and rear seats from a GTP. Seems every other G6 in my local yard has leather.

Rob
PFF
System Bot
Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post03-24-2018 08:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The ones in my G6 GT are black leather, too. Perforated, with heaters and lumbar. Damn car has more toys on it than any car I've ever owned.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock