Started on: 09-02-2016 01:07 PM
Replies: 5 (386 views)
Last post by: northeastfiero on 09-05-2016 12:05 PM
sspeedstreet

Feedback score:    (18)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 53
Rate this member

Report this Post09-02-2016 01:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sspeedstreetSend a Private Message to sspeedstreetEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I bought a set with M6 X 1, M8 X 1.25, M10 X 1.5 and M12 X 1.75 off eBay for $32.00 with shipping. The M10s made fabbing up my 6-speed mounts a breeze. Wish I'd found them a long time ago.

Yes, I know you can make your own. For this price, life's too short.

[This message has been edited by sspeedstreet (edited 09-02-2016).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post09-02-2016 03:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Maybe I've simply forgotten ... but I had to look up what "transfer screws" are. I (re)learned something today!

From Here

Transferring hole locations is one of those finicky operations that a budding machinist has to learn. Most of us start out clumsily measuring things with digital calipers and then wondering why they're off by quite a lot. It's hard to measure holes precisely!

Pretty soon we discover transfer punches, which are really cool. Eventually, we have a blind hole and can't use a transfer punch. The answer there is a transfer screw. It has threads on one end and a point on the other. Screw it into the blind hole and voila: you can transfer! I was so pleased when I discovered these that I promptly ordered all the small imperial sizes I like to use. These things are not cheap, but I find I use them pretty often.

fieroguru

Feedback score:    (45)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 258
Rate this member

Report this Post09-02-2016 08:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I use them all the time and have a collection that have been made over the years. As well as tapered nuts and bolt heads to center washers around holes for nice rounded corners on the brackets.

sspeedstreet

Feedback score:    (18)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 53
Rate this member

Report this Post09-02-2016 08:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sspeedstreetSend a Private Message to sspeedstreetEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Nice collection! I can't tell you how many brackets I've made and re-made trying to get things lined up. I've made a few tools like those over the years, but due to manufacturing tolerances they always wiggled in the holes. These seem to be a bit over-sized; they fit precisely in the threads.

[This message has been edited by sspeedstreet (edited 09-02-2016).]

fieroguru

Feedback score:    (45)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 258
Rate this member

Report this Post09-02-2016 10:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The longer the threads, the better they fit.

Also, it helps to have a good set of drill bits in 1/64" increments so you can drill tight holes. Like for a 10mm bolt, I use a 13/32 bit (.406" vs 10mm = .394")
Then the process is use the transfer punch to mark a single hole, drill it with the tightest bit you have. Then move the transfer punch to the next hole, install a bolt in the 1st hole (use countersunk head if hole isn't tight) and mark the 2nd. Drill, move the transfer punch, install 2 bolts... and repeat until all holes are drilled and fit tightly. Once the holes are located, then refine/trim the outer shape.

Another trick (or if you screw up the first one) is to drill the hole oversize in a 16ga template (or the original bracket), use tight fitting washers (or countersunk/tapered bolts) around the mounting bolts, tack weld them to the template... now you have the precise hole location. Then take the template and space/clamp it about 1/4" above the final bracket material and drill through it into the final material with a drill press. I make everything in 16ga templates to start (easy to mark, drill, and cut) then once I am happy with the fit/shape, transfer everything to 1/8" or 3/16" material for the bracket.

northeastfiero

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-05-2016 12:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for northeastfieroSend a Private Message to northeastfieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I could have done with theese.

[This message has been edited by northeastfiero (edited 09-05-2016).]

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock