Painting tire rim edges by 85fieroguy
Started on: 08-31-2016 11:21 PM
Replies: 7 (351 views)
Last post by: onesexyfiero on 09-05-2016 09:29 AM
85fieroguy

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-31-2016 11:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 85fieroguySend a Private Message to 85fieroguyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
any way to paint the outer edges of " star shaped mags" without taking off the tires??. Need info as to type of paint that won't come off and how do you mask off the circular rim interior and the outer rubber of the tires. Someone mentioned that mylar curved 1/4" tape can be used. Comments please.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
viperine

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-01-2016 12:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for viperineSend a Private Message to viperineEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
An easy out would be Plasti-dip. Won't adhere well to the tire, and a careful razor blade will let you peel away over spray. A buddy of mine dipped his C4 vette wheels in anthracite, I was shocked how nice they came out, AND how they have held up for a daily driver. Rattle can version, too.
85fieroguy

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-01-2016 01:11 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 85fieroguySend a Private Message to 85fieroguyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
what is " antracite" ???..rattle can version??..like in a spray can I assume. Not familiar about plastic dip..what is it ??
css9450

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 85
Rate this member

Report this Post09-01-2016 06:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for css9450Send a Private Message to css9450Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 85fieroguy:

... and how do you mask off the circular rim interior and the outer rubber of the tires.

You can use 3x5 cards as well.

trivet

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-01-2016 07:37 AM Click Here to See the Profile for trivetSend a Private Message to trivetEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 85fieroguy:

what is " antracite" ???..rattle can version??..like in a spray can I assume. Not familiar about plastic dip..what is it ??

"anthracite" as referred to is the color - dark metallic grey.
Plasti Dip is the name brand of "removable paint" Plasti Dip Anthracite
And "rattle can" is exactly what you suspected - spray paint in a can

I've been seriously considering using this on the rims for my Jeep.....

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post09-01-2016 08:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Might try engine paint, spray it into the can lid, then brush it on with an artists brush.
jaskispyder

Feedback score:    (22)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post09-01-2016 01:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jaskispyderSend a Private Message to jaskispyderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Cards may or may not work. I tried and they are a pain. I just masked off with tape and paper. Worked great on multiple rims.
onesexyfiero

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-05-2016 09:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for onesexyfieroSend a Private Message to onesexyfieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You need to clean and degloss the surface to get any paint to adhere. Narrow masking tape can be curved around the rim. Then you can use newspaper or whatever to cover the rest of the tire. You can buy rattle cans of wheel/caliper paint at auto parts stores.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock