Too many miles to restore?? by heypal
Started on: 08-24-2016 09:49 AM
Replies: 11 (366 views)
Last post by: rogergarrison on 08-24-2016 05:10 PM
heypal

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-24-2016 09:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for heypalSend a Private Message to heypalEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hello,

So I have a question that has been on my mind for some time now. This year marks the 20 year anniversary since I bought my beloved '88 Formula. Over the years I have had a TON of fun with this car. Consequently, 20 years later I STILL love driving this little gem. The car is in fantastic shape. Living in Minnesota I do not drive the car in the winter (although I believe the previous owner had) so for the most part corrosion is at a minimum. There are tons of new parts on the car that I have installed over the years. The car now has 205K on the odometer. So the big question. With so many miles, would it be considered bad judgment to restore this car? New paint, 3800 motor, some fun things in the interior (leather seats, new stereo, etc). Like I said, the car is in great shape but it is still 28 years old with a few miles on the OD!

Thanks,
Brandon
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
IanT720

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-24-2016 09:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for IanT720Send a Private Message to IanT720Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Nothing is to old. Would it be worth it to sell in the future? Maybe... But if you want to keep it go for it! Mileage is overrated. Clarion restored and customized an NSX with over 200k. It's a beauty! And better than new. Save the car! Don't run it into the ground...

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post08-24-2016 11:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Much of the time actually it seems it would be easier to restore a driven high mileage car than a parked low mileage car.
cvxjet

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-24-2016 11:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for cvxjetSend a Private Message to cvxjetEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Most parts that wear out from miles are available and easy to replace.....It used to be- back in the old days- that a car over 100,000 miles was wore out....But all the competition over quality the last 30-40 years has created cars that go 200,000 with basically no problems....The Fiero was the first US car built with Demings TQM.....although they were not perfect, they definitely were higher quality than most of the cars in the 80s....and, surprisingly, they are simple cars to work on.

If your car has been properly maintained, then it should be easy to restore.....I just changed out my whole front suspension and the front bearings were in perfect condition- 200,000 miles!
Easy8

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-24-2016 11:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Easy8Send a Private Message to Easy8Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If you love it restore it. People restore model A's with way more miles than that. Might be more work and cost some more to replace worn parts but it can all be done. It's a labor of love e 90% of the time when you restore a car anyway.
heypal

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-24-2016 12:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for heypalSend a Private Message to heypalEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for the input guys. The Fiero is such a unique piece of automotive history that it would be a shame to let another one go. A restore is in full order! My only hick-up is my mother's '65 Corvair is in line first. In the meantime I will just keep driving the mighty 2.8!

Totally off subject, but when is Jay Leno going to feature a Fiero on his program?? I love his website, but he has yet to invite a guest with a Fiero.

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-24-2016 12:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
For a car that gets used, each time you have to do a maintenance item, or replace something, clean it and the area around it and repaint if needed, etc. Its restore as you go.
johnt671

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-24-2016 02:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for johnt671Send a Private Message to johnt671Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I refer to my 84 SE with 234,000 miles as a semi restored future classic. If it's in decent shape and you like the car than restore it.
heypal

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-24-2016 02:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for heypalSend a Private Message to heypalEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
For me it is getting to the point where at 200K I don't trust the reliability like I once did. I would like to restore the engine/drive train back to a spot where if I want to take it on a road trip with my wife I can turn the key and go. A/C works, engine purrs, suspension tight and dialed, etc. I would love to get the car back to that point. Years ago a buddy of mine and I took it down to Kansas City and then St. Louis to check out a couple baseball games. It was awesome! I would love it if I could do something similar once again.

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-24-2016 03:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
What happened that you don't trust it now?

Just realized I didn't notice you were in MN when I read the opening post.
We have a fall cruise coming up in September with the Minnesota Fieros Forever club you are welcome to come along.
Also monthly club meetings that you can attend whenever you like, meet people who can help answer Fiero questions too.
Also where you live you should get out to the Tyler Shipman memorial car show in Frazee sometime (end of July).

https://www.facebook.com/Mi...ierosForeverCarClub/

http://www.tylershipmanmemorialcarshow.com/
https://www.facebook.com/ty...rialcarshow/?fref=ts

[This message has been edited by 2.5 (edited 08-24-2016).]

cvxjet

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-24-2016 05:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cvxjetSend a Private Message to cvxjetEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by heypal:

Totally off subject, but when is Jay Leno going to feature a Fiero on his program?? I love his website, but he has yet to invite a guest with a Fiero.

I have had a (Ridiculous) dream of getting Jay Leno to back a project to modify a Fiero that could pull a really good Ring lap- Say 7 minutes flat.....Possibly call it the Hulki GT...With the proper modifications- properly tuned- it should be possible......I know an LS7 will fit- but possibly a "LS7'd" LS4 would be a better fit....Getting a trany to survive the level of torque output for a full lap may be the biggest challenge. And the car can accept C5 Vette sized wheels- possibly a slightly lower profile set of tires.......

Yeah, yeah- I know it's crazy, but it would sure shut up all the "Fiero detractors".....

PFF
System Bot
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post08-24-2016 05:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Restoring any age car is fine. It just depends on what your willing to spend on it. Fieros are not an investment, at least yet...maybe another 20 years. If you just like a car, any amount you want to spend is justified. Financially it makes no sense to spend $20,000 to restore one to original shape when its really only worth 1/4 of that. Yours is not even an original anymore starting with the engine swap, which is a turn off to a serious money collector. I liked one car I had and spent nearly $60,000 on parts restoring it. I sold it for $20,000. I spent over $20,000 on my V8 Fiero and sold it for $5,000 (less than the engine i might add) with less than 4.000 miles on it.

[This message has been edited by rogergarrison (edited 08-24-2016).]

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock