4 Second Power Windows by Larryinkc
Started on: 08-22-2016 07:45 PM
Replies: 8 (1378 views)
Last post by: pmbrunelle on 12-16-2017 10:56 AM
Larryinkc

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-22-2016 07:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LarryinkcSend a Private Message to LarryinkcEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm in the process of installing a Pisa Euro dash and door panels so I thought it would be a good time to fix my power windows and install the ProSource gray tint windows I have had for several years, and new dew wipes and guides too.

I cleaned all the tracks and lubed them with Lubriplate Lithium grease, lubed all the scissor pivot points with Lithium grease and installed new stock motors, I also added some Llithium grease in between the helper spring coils.

I had put new switches in several months ago but the windows were still very slow. After cleaning and lubing them they work great, 4 second transit time both ways. It was a bit of work but well worth it, hope it lasts.

It seems the slow windows were mostly caused by the factory grease that had dried up and the scissor not having any lube at all. The coil spring dragging as it wound and unwound might have contributed a bit also.

[This message has been edited by Larryinkc (edited 11-29-2017).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
qwikgta

Feedback score:    (21)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 84
Rate this member

Report this Post08-25-2016 12:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for qwikgtaSend a Private Message to qwikgtaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
agree. i took my door skins off to paint and while off i took the time to "lube" and clean up everything. windows work great now, no more "groans" and "squeaks" as they move and they do travel much faster. not easy to get to but worth it if you have time.

rob
theogre

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post08-27-2016 08:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Larryinkc:
I cleaned all the tracks and lubed them with Lubriplate Lithium grease, lubed all the scissor pivot points with Lithium grease and installed new stock motors, I also added some Llithium grease in between the helper spring coils.
Yup... that huge spring can cause problems to non power doors too.
Main problem is most any lube can dry out etc or spring have little or no lube from the factory.
Worse, they rust between coils.

Lube can help but depending where you drive/park, Lube can get loaded w/ dirt and bind the big spring again.

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave

[This message has been edited by theogre (edited 08-27-2016).]

Formula88

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 554
Rate this member

Report this Post08-29-2016 05:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula88Send a Private Message to Formula88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You don't want Lamborghini power windows?
https://youtu.be/Zo-VnozaKBE?t=6m51s
Larryinkc

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-29-2017 09:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for LarryinkcSend a Private Message to LarryinkcEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Larryinkc:

I'm in the process of installing a Pisa Euro dash and door panels so I thought it would be a good time to fix my power windows and install the ProSource gray tint windows I have had for several years, and new dew wipes and guides too.

I had put new switches in several months ago but the windows were still very slow. After cleaning and lubing them they work great, 4 second transit time both ways. It was a bit of work but well worth it, hope it lasts.
It seems the slow windows were mostly caused by the factory grease that had dried up and the scissor not having any lube at all. The coil spring dragging as it wound and unwound might have contributed a bit also.

[This message has been edited by Larryinkc (edited 11-29-2017).]

JohnWPB

Feedback score:    (21)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 144
Rate this member

Report this Post11-29-2017 08:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JohnWPBClick Here to visit JohnWPB's HomePageSend a Private Message to JohnWPBEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Formula88:

You don't want Lamborghini power windows?
https://youtu.be/Zo-VnozaKBE?t=6m51s

Those are faster than the windows on my Fiero!

[This message has been edited by JohnWPB (edited 11-29-2017).]

Australian

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-14-2017 04:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AustralianClick Here to visit Australian's HomePageSend a Private Message to AustralianEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Just add power windows for a 4 second Fiero. Love the thread title. Who cares if the windows are slow.Australian
FIEROPHREK

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 137
Rate this member

Report this Post12-16-2017 08:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FIEROPHREKSend a Private Message to FIEROPHREKEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm not sure how good this will be for the life of the motors but i thought of wiring the windows onto their own circuit and powering them with a rechargeable 20v battery pack. I had to roll the windows up in a car and wasn't able to do it normally. I jumpered in my 20v drill's lithium battery pack and the windows rolled up and down amazingly! like I said though, not sure how long the motors would last bieng run with 20 volts versus 12. Any electrical gurus here that can shed some light on this?

------------------

ARCHIES JUNK IS FASTER THAN SHAUNNA'S JUNK

12.3 is faster than a 13.2

pmbrunelle

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post12-16-2017 10:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for pmbrunelleSend a Private Message to pmbrunelleEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by FIEROPHREK:
I jumpered in my 20v drill's lithium battery pack and the windows rolled up and down amazingly! like I said though, not sure how long the motors would last bieng run with 20 volts versus 12. Any electrical gurus here that can shed some light on this?

At 20 V, the motors will heat up much faster, but it might not be a problem considering that power window motors are only run intermittently.

The brushes might wear out faster, and you run the risk of demagnetizing the permanent magnets. If you demagnetize the magnets, then the motor will be weaker than it was originally.

At my work, for testing electric power steering motors, we have them turn left and right against an artificial load, non-stop, for days or weeks. Basically, we beat the crap out of them and then open them up.

Unless you're willing to make a test rig for this, my suggestion would be to try it on your car and see what happens. But be ready to switch back to stock if you damage your motors (and have spare motors). If you want to make a product for sale to the Fiero community, I would suggest driving around for a year, and using the power windows 5x more than normal.

[This message has been edited by pmbrunelle (edited 12-16-2017).]

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock