Started on: 08-18-2016 10:28 PM
Replies: 14 (221 views)
Last post by: theogre on 08-21-2016 12:57 AM
Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post08-18-2016 10:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Is anyone else experiencing this?
For the last few days, I have been seeing a situation where the forum page (usually in a thread) will freeze. Eventually I'll get a box that tells me that the forum page has stopped responding, and gives me the option to kill the page or to wait.
If I switch to another tab and then immediately switch back to the page in question, it works again. Although it may freeze again after a few seconds.

Win 7. Google Chrome.

Thanks.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
fierofool

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post08-18-2016 11:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yesterday, I had a problem that I could only get the main page with Cliff's Fiero. Wouldn't go any further. Firefox. Windows 10
maryjane

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 441
Rate this member

Report this Post08-19-2016 10:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Raydar:

Is anyone else experiencing this?
For the last few days, I have been seeing a situation where the forum page (usually in a thread) will freeze. Eventually I'll get a box that tells me that the forum page has stopped responding, and gives me the option to kill the page or to wait.
If I switch to another tab and then immediately switch back to the page in question, it works again. Although it may freeze again after a few seconds.

Win 7. Google Chrome.

Thanks.

Yes, several times and tho I don't know why it would cause it, each time after I finally opted for the "Kill the page" I saw I had left a PFF 'post preview' open in separate tab. (preview--where you look to see what your post will actually look like as posted)
I've had the same thing happen on another board, and again, I found I had left the preview tab open.

Coincidence maybe--I dunno, but that has been my experience.
Win 7 and Chrome.

That's the only time I have encountered "this page has stopped responding"

Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post08-19-2016 12:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Win 7 and Chrome... no issues in the frozen north.
theogre

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post08-19-2016 12:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Many reasons possible but often you or cliff can't do anything about it...
PFF or anything could be under DDOS attack.
Have DNS problems.
Browser got a update and "broke" PFF pages.

Try using a different browser or change DNS.
OpenDNS
www.opendns.com

Google DNS
http://code.google.com/speed/public-dns/

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave

JohnWPB

Feedback score:    (21)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 144
Rate this member

Report this Post08-19-2016 06:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JohnWPBClick Here to visit JohnWPB's HomePageSend a Private Message to JohnWPBEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by theogre:
Many reasons possible but often you or cliff can't do anything about it...

Have DNS problems.
Try using a different browser or change DNS.

No, a DNS problems would prevent the site from coming up at all for the most part, if the IP address was not able to be resolved. Simply not resolving the location of a web page will not cause a page to "freeze"

PFF or anything could be under DDOS attack.

No, a DDOS attack would cause the entire site to be very slow, unreachable or fail to find the page at all resulting in a 404 error. It would not cause the page to "Freeze" to the point of locking up.

[This message has been edited by JohnWPB (edited 08-19-2016).]

dobey

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 371
User Banned

Report this Post08-19-2016 07:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Your computer had too much ice cream (malware)?
maryjane

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 441
Rate this member

Report this Post08-19-2016 08:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by dobey:

Your computer had too much ice cream (malware)?

Them's fightin' words right there.
Ain't no such thing as too much ice cream.

[This message has been edited by maryjane (edited 08-19-2016).]

theogre

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-20-2016 01:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by JohnWPB:
No, a DNS problems would prevent the site from coming up at all for the most part, if the IP address was not able to be resolved. Simply not resolving the location of a web page will not cause a page to "freeze"

No, a DDOS attack would cause the entire site to be very slow, unreachable or fail to find the page at all resulting in a 404 error. It would not cause the page to "Freeze" to the point of locking up.
You think you're only dealing w/ PFF? Sorry but Wrong.
Either can effect any or all 3rd part items while PFF, local ISP and your device are 100% Ok.

Pages can "freeze" for both cases waiting for scripts, images, etc, to access slow 3rd party or wait to time out all of the connection(s). Many browser won't give you any error for slow/dead script connections and only "Red X" for unavailable pictures.

PFF itself have use/used 3rd party scripts calling to viglink.com, Ebay, and other.
PFF Images/Pictures come from many places. PIP pic's are served by hostkansas.com then add photobucket etc.
Any can have DNS, DDOS or other network problems making PFF pages slow to display and even "freeze."

Add that PFF pages can have issues depending on device and browser version. Is how Cliff wrote the code years ago. (covered in several thread use search.) Sometimes can cause problems using PFF, intermittently or constant. Often Worse on "Smart Phones" and ARM CPU tablets w/ OE browser w/ missing "features" to save memory and flash.

Note that Chrome browser does or very soon will block all Flash, like the clock at top on PFF pages.
Raydar

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-20-2016 08:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm thinking that it's trying to run some script or process in the background that is causing it to "vapor lock". Probably an ad.
Since I really want to help Cliff to maintain his server, I have my Ad Blocker disabled. But I may enable it to see if it helps.
Cliff Pennock
Administrator

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 699
Rate this member

Report this Post08-20-2016 10:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Cliff PennockClick Here to visit Cliff Pennock's HomePageSend a Private Message to Cliff PennockEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Oddly enough, I have been experiencing the exact same problem on other sites. PFF is as fast as ever for me. But for the past 1-2 weeks I've been experiencing these problems on a whole bunch of other sites...
PFF
System Bot
Stubby79

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 58
Rate this member

Report this Post08-20-2016 01:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Stubby79Send a Private Message to Stubby79Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I'm thinking that it's trying to run some script or process in the background that is causing it to "vapor lock". Probably an ad.
Since I really want to help Cliff to maintain his server, I have my Ad Blocker disabled. But I may enable it to see if it helps.

I have all scripts disabled, because PFF was "pausing" when loading, as of a couple years ago....two, three, five seconds, every time I'd change pages. It was...gross.
JohnWPB

Feedback score:    (21)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 144
Rate this member

Report this Post08-20-2016 02:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JohnWPBClick Here to visit JohnWPB's HomePageSend a Private Message to JohnWPBEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

You think you're only dealing w/ PFF? Sorry but Wrong.

I am not "dealing" with anything, I simply took the time to read the Original Posters problem (The first post at the top of this page) They make no mention of this happening on other sites.

For the last few days, I have been seeing a situation where the forum page (usually in a thread) will freeze.

Raydar

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-20-2016 06:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Update...
I enabled my AdBlocker. Freeze is gone.

When I get some time, I'll dig around and see which ones are making it vapor lock. Too tired right now.
theogre

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-21-2016 12:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Update...
I enabled my AdBlocker. Freeze is gone.

When I get some time, I'll dig around and see which ones are making it vapor lock. Too tired right now.
No surprise to me...
I read your top post too and work in IT jobs for decades to know how often this is the case.

I block most ads because to many malware problems from ad farms. Doubleclick (now owned by Google/Alphabet) etc have many problems. So many now have a name called "Malvertising."

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock