85 2.8 ecm compatibility by nibotolu
Started on: 01-05-2019 08:41 PM
Replies: 5 (370 views)
Last post by: Raydar on 01-23-2019 07:45 PM
nibotolu

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-05-2019 08:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for nibotoluClick Here to Email nibotoluSend a Private Message to nibotoluEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

hi everyone. im having a problem with my fiero long story short it doesnt want to run just the starter spin but it never starts. have a friend to come and look at it. and he says the ecm is fried. i was checking on the net and it says that the ecm from and 85 is unique. is that true or i can put an ecm from another year or maybe another car. also my car is an automatic i dont know if have to check for that too. hope somebady can help me. i just repaired the transmission and now this im starting to lose my grip 😓. also if someone has a spare one that one to sell please let me know 🙂
thanks for reading.

IP: Logged

fierofool

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 146
Rate this member

Report this Post01-05-2019 10:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageClick Here to Email fierofoolSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

The difference in the 85 V6 ECM is that it has a knock sensor program in it but it's turned off. Knock sensors aren't used in stock Fieros.

Any V6 Fiero ECM from an Automatic will work. A manual trans ECM will not operate your overdrive feature in the automatic.

To check your ECM, remove the lighter cover plate. Look inside the opening and you will see the ALDL diagnostic port. With the ignition off, using a paper clip shaped into a U, insert the two prongs into the passenger side two lower right ports. Turn on the ignition and watch the Service Engine Soon light. It should start to blink 1 then 2 (12). It will blink 12 three times. If there are any other trouble codes set, it will blink those three times then move to the next. When all trouble codes have been displayed, it will return to 12. If it is blinking 12, then the ECM should be good.

Next thing to do is to check for spark and fuel. Pull a plug wire and insert a spare plug. Ground the plug against the engine block and have some try to start it. If you have spark, next step is to check for fuel.

Remove the air intake tube from the throttle body, open the butterfly and spray some starting fluid or brake cleaner into the intake and try to start the car.

If you don't have spark, you probably have a bad Ignition Control Module. It's the black object inside the distributor. Replace it then repeat the spark and fuel test.

nibotolu

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-07-2019 11:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for nibotoluClick Here to Email nibotoluSend a Private Message to nibotoluEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

thanks a lot for your answer fierofool noe its going to be easier to find another Ecm. anyways im going to do the test to be sure. i already did check for spark and fuel and they are fine. my friend also told me that that the computer receive a/c but nothing comes out of it. thats why he told me the problem is in the computer.

ericjon262

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post01-09-2019 02:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ericjon262Send a Private Message to ericjon262Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

FYI, it is extremely rare for GM ECM's to fail, typically there's something else wrong, and the ECM is replace as a result of poor troubleshooting.

------------------
"I am not what you so glibly call to be a civilized man. I have broken with society for reasons which I alone am able to appreciate. I am therefore not subject to it's stupid laws, and I ask you to never allude to them in my presence again."

"The day I tried to live, I stole a thousand beggars' change and gave it to the rich."
http://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/119122.html

ericjon262

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post01-09-2019 02:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ericjon262Send a Private Message to ericjon262Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fierofool:

The difference in the 85 V6 ECM is that it has a knock sensor program in it but it's turned off. Knock sensors aren't used in stock Fieros.

Any V6 Fiero ECM from an Automatic will work. A manual trans ECM will not operate your overdrive feature in the automatic.

To check your ECM, remove the lighter cover plate. Look inside the opening and you will see the ALDL diagnostic port. With the ignition off, using a paper clip shaped into a U, insert the two prongs into the passenger side two lower right ports. Turn on the ignition and watch the Service Engine Soon light. It should start to blink 1 then 2 (12). It will blink 12 three times. If there are any other trouble codes set, it will blink those three times then move to the next. When all trouble codes have been displayed, it will return to 12. If it is blinking 12, then the ECM should be good.

Next thing to do is to check for spark and fuel. Pull a plug wire and insert a spare plug. Ground the plug against the engine block and have some try to start it. If you have spark, next step is to check for fuel.

Remove the air intake tube from the throttle body, open the butterfly and spray some starting fluid or brake cleaner into the intake and try to start the car.

If you don't have spark, you probably have a bad Ignition Control Module. It's the black object inside the distributor. Replace it then repeat the spark and fuel test.

Auto Fiero's don't have overdrive, just a lockup torque converter.

Raydar

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 449
Rate this member

Report this Post01-23-2019 07:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarClick Here to Email RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by nibotolu:
...i already did check for spark and fuel and they are fine.

If that is true, I really doubt that the computer is the problem.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock