Article on the value of Fieros by Easy8
Started on: 01-04-2019 05:35 PM
Replies: 19 (1135 views)
Last post by: David Hambleton on 01-11-2019 11:00 PM
Easy8

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-04-2019 05:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Easy8Send a Private Message to Easy8Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Saw this today, short but interesting. The first comment is also worth reading... "horded up 30."

https://www.hagerty.com/art...o-affordable-forever

IP: Logged

Tony Kania

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 298
Rate this member

Report this Post01-05-2019 10:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Tony KaniaSend a Private Message to Tony KaniaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Cool read.

Many should read the first comment. Interesting.

kazew

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-06-2019 05:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for kazewClick Here to Email kazewSend a Private Message to kazewEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

That’s a cheap shot Mike! Since you have brought up this issue and you seem to know so much about the cause and events that led up to the Fiero engine fire issues please inform the rest of us here who may or may not know all about that in the most accurate detail you can remember. Tell us what happened instead of throwing out insults to your fellow car owners.

css9450

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 80
Rate this member

Report this Post01-06-2019 11:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for css9450Click Here to Email css9450Send a Private Message to css9450Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

"The Fiero has never escaped the realm of affordable fun, with a median #2-condition value of $7300 10 years ago; today that same condition sits at $7000. A small climb from $7200 to $7900 took place between January 2015 and May 2016, only to return to $7000 from May 2017 to January 2018."

Interesting that they track prices month-to-month as if its corn futures or heads of livestock.

fierofrenzy

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-06-2019 12:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofrenzyClick Here to Email fierofrenzySend a Private Message to fierofrenzyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

We all know OUR Fiero's are priceless.....

Raydar

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 449
Rate this member

Report this Post01-06-2019 12:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarClick Here to Email RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by kazew:

That’s a cheap shot Mike! Since you have brought up this issue and you seem to know so much...

Edited - Nevermind.

[This message has been edited by Raydar (edited 01-06-2019).]

Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 313
Rate this member

Report this Post01-06-2019 03:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaClick Here to Email Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I believe that prices on used Fieros (except the 88 model) will continue to decline. Showroom cars will minimal miles might also sell for high prices. While the car looks sharp , it always lagged in the performance area. Years back young folks sucked them up for their sporty looks, good mileage and affordable price. Many were used as daily drivers during that time. Today the Fiero doesn't have the appeal to that audience and few daily drive them. The main market now is for hobbyists, collectors and nostalgia aficionados. Its largely an older audience. My point is that demand has declined and so will the prices. I guess we can call the Fiero a "cult classic". If you are buying one for investment you'll be S.O.L. Regardless even if my Fiero is worth little; with the beefed up 3800SC, I enjoy driving it and restoring it. As for mods there seem to be endless possibilities.

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP /Frozen Boost Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Spintech/Hedman Exhaust, P-log Manifold, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, Champion Radiator, S10 Brake Booster, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

hyperv6

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 89
Rate this member

Report this Post01-06-2019 05:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hyperv6Send a Private Message to hyperv6Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

How many times do we need to cover this?

The whole thing comes down to supply and demand. While you may not see them everyday where you are the number of clean Fieros still out strips demand.

The Fiero was a car that for many it was not a daily driver. Also back in 88 a lot of people bought them and parked them thinking they would get rich. The reality even then there was just too many of them.

The one factor now is many collector car values are in decline. The stock market while volatile is still strong and that always kills. Ollector values outside the most rare or indemand cars.

The reality is rare is not 20k, 5k or even 1200. In the collector world rare is below 1000 units and even then demand has to drive the price.

The Fiero is much like a Corvair or even a mid 70’s Corvette. They hold enough demand to drive some value but it is not the next Shelby.

Low mile models will command best prices 88 being the top dollar. The other cars that will hold demand are those like any clean TTop, convertible, or specialty model like a pace car and Mera.

One other thing is a clean well done custom with rare parts like DGP, period correct wheels, Herb Adams parts or even prototype parts.

But the harsh reality is when GM sold some of the prototype cars unless it had a real history there really was not a ton of money in them. That is an indicator interest is just not hot.

Insurance companies keep track of values because it is their job to know what they are worth. They need to know values to set insurance costs.

The values are not going to change much unless there is a sudden interest in a Fieros by the general public for some reason.

The important thing to learn is if you are going to fix up an old Fiero use care as you can easily pass up the value you can sell it for fast. If you are ok with that then go for it but If you do not want to go in the hole well....

Anyone looking to buy a Fiero I always recommend get the cleanest and lowest mike you can afford. It will often be cheaper than restoring. This is even true for many muscle cars anymore as you can get a clean GTO for $30k that would cost you $50k to restore right. With Fiero values low it is difficult to put much in as a good paint job can pass up the value of some cars.

Low miles also helps avoid the common hidden rust. How many have been burned with hidden rust?

[This message has been edited by hyperv6 (edited 01-06-2019).]

Kevin87FieroGT

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-07-2019 01:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Kevin87FieroGTSend a Private Message to Kevin87FieroGTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Well put..again👍

Fun to drive and look at, yes! An investment, I don’t think so! Many pristine, very low mile, cars sell at sticker or less after 30+ years. Enough said. In the classic car world we’re on our own, say Corvair.

Thankfully, some hoard Fieros, or keep a few, and sell the parts we all need to keep the fun going. Good for them as they probably profit the most.

In Unity

gtjeff

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-07-2019 08:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for gtjeffSend a Private Message to gtjeffEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

With the Corvette going mid-engine, this will bring more attention to GM's first ME car. I would expect values of the 1988 GT & Formula to increase especially as well as the 86/87 GT.

Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 313
Rate this member

Report this Post01-07-2019 08:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaClick Here to Email Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by gtjeff:

With the Corvette going mid-engine, this will bring more attention to GM's first ME car. I would expect values of the 1988 GT & Formula to increase especially as well as the 86/87 GT.

Pontiac Fieros were built and sold as economy cars The GT finally gave it a change in look but outside of adding a 140 HP V6 all else was the same. That all changed in 1988 and the Fiero was appealing to the lower end sports car audience and that' s why the one year 88's keep their value. Except for the Buick Grand National, most cars that GM made in the 80's never escalated in price. Even the rare Buick Reatta's never gained collector status and they had the early 3800 engine

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP /Frozen Boost Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Spintech/Hedman Exhaust, P-log Manifold, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, Champion Radiator, S10 Brake Booster, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

hyperv6

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-07-2019 08:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hyperv6Send a Private Message to hyperv6Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

The C8 May bring references to the Fiero but it will not bring added value or demand.

There tends to be two kinds of Fiero collector.

One is the die hard dedicated Fiero collector.

The other is a collector of say Corvette and or Pontiac that like the ability to pick up a clean Fiero cheap to park in the collection. They find them cheap and interesting for little cost. I know several collectors lime this.

The only thing I think will change values is the youth coming up for some reason find interest in the Fiero. I would not hold my breath on thi as so few coming up even lime cars let along Fieros.

The lack of interest in cars by those 40 and understand is growing and will effect the price of even the high demand models negatively.

hyperv6

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-07-2019 08:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hyperv6Send a Private Message to hyperv6Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Dennis LaGrua:

Pontiac Fieros were built and sold as economy cars The GT finally gave it a change in look but outside of adding a 140 HP V6 all else was the same. That all changed in 1988 and the Fiero was appealing to the lower end sports car audience and that' s why the one year 88's keep their value. Except for the Buick Grand National, most cars that GM made in the 80's never escalated in price. Even the rare Buick Reatta's never gained collector status and they had the early 3800 engine

Yep few GM cars of the 80’s can get anything near what they were new. As it is the Fiero has done better than most.

Everyone wants to create a classic car but often the classics create themselves. Often as rejected cars.

Shelby’s for years were unwanted used race cars. Same with the Ferrari GTO.

The Superbird was low volume because most thought it ugly back in the day and it took 2 years to sell what they had to make to qualify for NASCAR.

Hard to say just what may spark interest in the future.

A HHR SS or CTSV wagon may just be something that takes off that there were so sold.

Only time and demand will create the future classics.

pHoOl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-07-2019 11:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pHoOlClick Here to visit pHoOl's HomePageClick Here to Email pHoOlSend a Private Message to pHoOlEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I'm astonished the bad info in the comments... wow. Wonder how much that guy has his 1 of 1 1986 Fiero Pace Car insured for.

pHoOl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-07-2019 11:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pHoOlClick Here to visit pHoOl's HomePageClick Here to Email pHoOlSend a Private Message to pHoOlEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Also... maybe it's me, but my first GT was an 88. Now own a lower mileage 86. When I bought it, easily would have been 2-3 grand less than an 88 GT with similar miles would have likely been listed for. With fiero store sway bars and some nice tires, I don't think I'm missing anything from an 88. Maybe that'll leave the 88s to the collectors, and the 84-87 for the people who want to drive them.

hyperv6

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-08-2019 07:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for hyperv6Send a Private Message to hyperv6Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by pHoOl:

I'm astonished the bad info in the comments... wow. Wonder how much that guy has his 1 of 1 1986 Fiero Pace Car insured for.

That is also one of the great many issues. There is a ton of bad info still lingering from back in the day that never was corrected.

Kind of like the guy who made the headlines for murder but was cleared and reported on page 16.

Even some owners never learned the truth due to the lack of info out there.

Even with good info like guides we have now many don’t know of them. Also we have never had a book written on the cars that told the full and entire true story on what went on.

GM made mistakes but Pontiac was far from blameless on some of the things done wrong. The Fiero was a case study on how GM inside failed to work as one and what ultimately led to the bail out. It was really a damage culture inside.

Another good example the Fiero is following is the MGB. Not fast thot a perfect car but a fun car that now is worth just a little more than new. It is a sports car for the enthusiast and guy on a budget. Though we have reliable electronics going for us lol!

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 178
Rate this member

Report this Post01-08-2019 05:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Fieros are in what I could call a niche market.
I buy the ones I like, I drive them too, not daily but for fun, I don't plan on selling or investment really.
Like most models, rarer and more performance oriented models will have more value.

edfiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-11-2019 01:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for edfieroClick Here to Email edfieroSend a Private Message to edfieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Ya gotta ask yourself, who's gonna buy a Fiero? Go to a car show....who's driving a Fiero..... my money is on a guy over 50....maybe even over 60. Not too many guys in their 20's.
Lets face it, once you hit 60 you are probably gonna have a hard time getting in and out of a Fiero.
Fiero is a young'er' person's car and the young folks today would rather put their money into something else (newer?). Therefore prices will never likely go higher than they are today, as there is no demand.

Stinger

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-11-2019 09:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for StingerClick Here to visit Stinger's HomePageSend a Private Message to StingerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

A lot of talk here, almost sounds like complaining, that the price of the Fiero is not as high as it should be. While that very well maybe true, be careful of what you wish for. Values seem to be at least stable. Would you prefer to see what happened to the muscle car era of cars? You can now afford to go out and buy a decent Fiero, for not a lot of money for the amount of enjoyment you get out of it, which considerable. Go try and buy and entry level 69 SS Camaro, 71 Cuda or 70 Boss Mustang (big or small block). You're into a small fortune in gold and it's not even that nice condition of a car.

While the values can be sited easily and conveniently to supply and demand, it's more demand than it is supply issue. While it's generally accepted around the 370,000 number, for the Fiero over the 5 years of production. Consider 1st generation Camaro with over half a million cars for 3 years of production. Truly a lot more supply is this case and yet the demand is crazy. My personal feeling is that if the Fiero was gifted with more muscle when it was born, the interest / demand, might be considerably higher. Consider that most of your higher horsepower cars are in demand today regardless of how many where made.

To be constantly pointing at the Fiero for getting a bad wrap as to why the demand is low, that may have been the case 20 years ago, but ask a stranger today what a Fiero is and they have no idea. If you read a lot of the social media today, Fiero owners are constantly writing how they get a chuckle out people, not knowing what their cars are. You might agree that a lot of people have never seen a Fiero before in your own home town, I know that's the case where I live.

My next statement has to be preceded with, my background has been in muscle cars for the past 30 or so years. I've owned more of them than I care to mention here. I will state that personal observation, the Fiero enthusiast, which I will say is part of the value problem. Something I have never seen any other automotive collector sector, be it Ford, GM or Chrysler. I have never before seen enthusiasts (we'll call them that), collectively bash owners of Fieros who are selling at a higher price than what their "professional" opinion feels it's worth. I see it on a daily basis on social media, incredible. "I know that Fiero only has 1,600 original miles on it, but now way is it worth...." Collectively, people in this hobby seem to feel it's ok to voice their opinion on something, that was not asked for, on the valuation of the sellers car. The opinion is rarely done in a positive manner. Now if this happened once or twice, it would be just a blip on the screen. If you are part of the Fiero social media thing, you know what I'm talking about. With the chance of sounding overly dramatic, it's almost an epidemic.

A different, positive view needs to be taken. If Mike sells his mint 86 GT for $14,000 and you have a mint 86 GT...well, you get it. But with so much negativity from most of the community, it doesn't help the values of these cars. Again, this is my observation of being in the collector car hobby for many years and what I see in this hobby, I have not seen, ever, in the past with muscle cars.

I would close with, be careful what you wish for. Do you really want a 88 GT to sell for $40,000 ? There goes most people hopes and dreams of ever affording one for a lot of people. Right now, they are affordable and very enjoyable. Enjoy this time, it may not last forever.

Stinger

[This message has been edited by Stinger (edited 01-11-2019).]

David Hambleton

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-11-2019 11:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for David HambletonClick Here to Email David HambletonSend a Private Message to David HambletonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

How about this "value" perspective: (Canadian $ FWIW)

My daily driver '84 SE 4 speed that I bought new has 380,700 km on it now (236,550 miles).
The purchase price and repairs are about $0.07 per km. Cheap, fun transportation in my opinion...

I bought my alternate daily driver (red) '86 2.5L 5 speed in 2011 kind of as a spare in the event the '84 is out of service for my slow repairs and vice versa.
It was $800 & I drove it home. Another $1600 for wheels, tires & a myriad of other repairs & upgrades, it's another cheap, fun car.

The showroom condition Formula 5 speed had 5,200 km (3230 miles) when I bought it for $10,000 in 2008.
I think it's great I was able to get a "new" Fiero 20 years after production ended. It has 38,000 km on it now (23,600 miles).

The fully depreciated daily drivers (by accounting principles and lack of market interest) provide such cheap transportation the savings have basically paid for the Formula.

Cheap, fun to drive, owner repairable, unusual sight on the road for many people, good conversation piece at shows & elsewhere - for me an all-around fun experience. That's value!

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock