1984 SE Restoration by Mylek
Started on: 12-30-2018 09:37 PM
Replies: 5 (1567 views)
Last post by: Patrick on 01-01-2019 12:55 AM
Mylek

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-30-2018 09:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MylekSend a Private Message to MylekEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I have been working to get my '84 running properly so I can start driving it as a daily.
On my first 50 mile trip, the CEL came on intermittently. I also noticed that the exhaust smelled rich. So, I used the paperclip scanner an came up with 2 codes. First was code 42 - Electronic Spark; and second, was code 45 - Rich Exhaust.
First, I inspected the spark plug wires. I found the number 1 spark plug wire was loose and not making a solid connection
Next was the Rich Exhaust. I'm not a mechanic. I had to look up the causes of Rich Exhaust. The most common cause I found was a bad Coolant Temperature Sensor. So I replaced it.
Little did I know, the sensor connection had changed at some point. So I had to splice in a new connector to match the new sensor.
Following the replacement, I cleared the codes and went for a short drive. After getting home, I checked the codes again. 12s across the board. Raise the roof here folks!
Now, I'm on to the next issue. It seems to have a miss. This is where I ask the wonderful folks here on PFF for help. I don't have any codes. What could be causing this?
The symptoms are: almost stall after high rev. Hesitation when stepping on gas. Sounds like it has a miss when maintaining 2k to 3k rpms.

IP: Logged

Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 434
Rate this member

Report this Post12-30-2018 11:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickClick Here to Email PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Mylek:

...a bad Coolant Temperature Sensor. So I replaced it. Little did I know, the sensor connection had changed at some point. So I had to splice in a new connector to match the new sensor.

Ummm... might want to look Here.

Mylek

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-31-2018 07:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MylekSend a Private Message to MylekEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Yup. Saw that. The sensor I needed was for the ECM.

Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-31-2018 07:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickClick Here to Email PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Yup. Saw that. The sensor I needed was for the ECM.

The point of my post was to bring into question whether or not you got the correct replacement. I don't believe changing the pigtail should've been necessary.

Mylek

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-31-2018 11:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MylekSend a Private Message to MylekEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Ahh. It wouldn't have been necessary for the sensor going to the gauge or the fan. However, at some point, GM decided to change the ECM sensor from a "nipple" style connector to one similar to the rest of the connectors. I think I may have an earlier production run. I wish I could post pictures here. But, I don't have a PC to download the forum's picture tool.

Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-01-2019 12:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickClick Here to Email PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I wish I could post pictures here.

You can. Plenty of info in This thread regarding where to upload images.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock