Started on: 11-05-2013 08:37 AM
Replies: 14
Last post by: Ponzerelli on 11-07-2013 11:20 AM
cam-a-lot

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 99
Rate this member

Report this Post11-05-2013 08:37 AM Click Here to See the Profile for cam-a-lotSend a Private Message to cam-a-lotDirect Link to This Post
Not my cup of tea.... weird snorkel looking thing that forces warm air back into the engine compartment for sale. Good price though....if it is something you want

http://ontario.kijiji.ca/c-...s-W0QQAdIdZ538967804

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
mrfred8

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-05-2013 09:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for mrfred8Click Here to visit mrfred8's HomePageSend a Private Message to mrfred8Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by cam-a-lot:

weird snorkel looking thing that forces warm air back into the engine compartment

Love your description
cam-a-lot

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-05-2013 09:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for cam-a-lotSend a Private Message to cam-a-lotDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by mrfred8:

Love your description

Being an opinionated bastard is part of my incredible charm!!

thismanyfieros

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 120
Rate this member

Report this Post11-05-2013 10:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for thismanyfierosSend a Private Message to thismanyfierosDirect Link to This Post
I dont see how they forces warm air back into the engine compartment considering it takes the cooler air from over the roof as you drive? Perhaps you can add "incorrectly informed" to your opinionated bastard comment..
Phirewire

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-05-2013 11:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PhirewireSend a Private Message to PhirewireDirect Link to This Post
Shipping an option you think? or anyone able to pick them up and ship them for me?
mrfred8

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-05-2013 03:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mrfred8Click Here to visit mrfred8's HomePageSend a Private Message to mrfred8Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by thismanyfieros:

I dont see how they forces warm air back into the engine compartment considering it takes the cooler air from over the roof as you drive? Perhaps you can add "incorrectly informed" to your opinionated bastard comment..

The stock vents are designed to vent hot air out of the engine bay. If you push air into those vents, that hot air has nowhere to go.

cam-a-lot

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-05-2013 05:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cam-a-lotSend a Private Message to cam-a-lotDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by thismanyfieros:

Heat rises, last time I checked.
rcm

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-05-2013 05:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rcmSend a Private Message to rcmDirect Link to This Post
How the hell does that work?
Macs86GT

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-05-2013 06:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Macs86GTSend a Private Message to Macs86GTDirect Link to This Post
If you have deck lid with a center vent it will work ok because the air forced in from the top will vent out the middle vent at least getting the air out of the engine bay and releasing the high pressure area created by blocking the vents. Heat does rise but those over the roof scoops occlude flow of air up and out of the vents when at low speeds or stopped in traffic.
LornesGT

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-05-2013 06:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LornesGTSend a Private Message to LornesGTDirect Link to This Post
Heat also travels to cold. Even at slow speeds more air would flow into the scoop and down into the engine compartment. Most of the air when driving goes under the car than up into the engine compartment. When the car is stopped they would act like a chimney and the hot air would rise up and out but probably less than uncovered. The engines are water cooled anyway. I like the look but I think all that air getting forced into then eventually under the car isn't very good for keeping the rear of the car planted to the road.
How many car have vent in the front? Granted the fan is in the front but the fan is blowing the heat that just left the antifreeze that is cooling the engine.

[This message has been edited by LornesGT (edited 11-05-2013).]

thismanyfieros

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 120
Rate this member

Report this Post11-06-2013 10:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for thismanyfierosSend a Private Message to thismanyfierosDirect Link to This Post
Yes heat rises but when driving air will flow in rather then up and out.
PFF
System Bot
CheshireGrin

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-06-2013 01:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CheshireGrinSend a Private Message to CheshireGrinDirect Link to This Post
I think the debate here is over the idea of function vs intended function...

Yes - those scoops should force cold air under the decklid...

but

The original scoops were designed to let heat out as has been displayed by a few members here regarding the decklid / vent scoops.

So what does that mean ??? Well seems you are working against the originally intended flow of hot air... does this mean they wont work? Not necessarily.. most likely just not as well as you may be hoping , if you feel differently please feel free to test and prove otherwise. Im just saying that you are working against the original design , take that to mean whatever you like.

CarverToo

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-06-2013 03:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CarverTooSend a Private Message to CarverTooDirect Link to This Post
I'm happy to see that our (3) Canadian friends in this thread, discuss with respect and moderation, their views on the topic.

Personally, while the scoops may look "cool", they are of no interest to me. However I'd love to find a good way to address the heat build-up in the engine compartment whether it's really a serious issue or not. I just don't like the effect the heat has on many of the engine componemts, wires etc.

[This message has been edited by CarverToo (edited 11-06-2013).]

DLCLK87GT

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-06-2013 04:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DLCLK87GTSend a Private Message to DLCLK87GTDirect Link to This Post
What I would do is open up the rear of these down by the bottom and then add in a simple baffle sitting an inch or so up from the bottom. Have the baffle direct the air in from above out the rear through your new exit vent and not down into the engine compartment. I would think if the baffle ended a little short of the newly created rear vent, the air coming down and out the rear would create a vacuum effect and help pull air up out of the engine compartment. But that’s all in theory as they are too far away for me to get and play with.
Sort of like this;
Ponzerelli

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-07-2013 11:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PonzerelliSend a Private Message to PonzerelliDirect Link to This Post
still for sale?

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock