Need Automatic Shifter Assembly (maybe cable) and/or repair advice by Xantheon
Started on: 01-24-2013 04:19 PM
Replies: 1
Last post by: josef644 on 01-24-2013 06:30 PM
Xantheon

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-24-2013 04:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for XantheonClick Here to visit Xantheon's HomePageSend a Private Message to XantheonDirect Link to This Post
So, I've got n '87 Base Coupe with the 2.5 and automatic transmission that has been difficult to get in and out of gear with this extreme cold (for our area). If I let it warm up enough, it shifts easier, but still require a firm grip (sometimes two hands) to push in the selector/release button. Yesterday, I was in a hurry to get to work and didn't have time to let it warm up. I started the car, grabbed the shift lever, and pressed the button with both hands and "snap" the button went in and now it's stuck in park and not going anywhere. I borrowed another car and worked late, and had to rush in again this AM, so, I haven't looked at it yet, but, my gut tells me something non-repairable broke inside the shifter handle itself and it will need to be either rigged or replaced. So, I'll know more when I take a look, but, if someone nearby has one, please let me know. I'd love to have it on-hand for when I find time to take it apart to repair it. Also, if this has happened to you before, please let me know what it was and what you had to do to fix the issue. I'm sure I can figure it out myself, but, time is short right now and any threads I have found so far say "clean out the change" or "replace the shifter".

Thanks!
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
josef644

Feedback score:    (71)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 103
Rate this member

Report this Post01-24-2013 06:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for josef644Send a Private Message to josef644Direct Link to This Post
You can remove the face plate from around the shifter after removing the T handle. You can then push down the lock bar and move the shaft forward or backwards real easy. Here is a Picture for you.
IP: Logged

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock